Hot!L.A. Confidential

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8395
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 14:43:22 (permalink)
Can't wait for more!

I forgot to mention Santa Monica Pier.  Where did you park?  I haven't been there in years due to the parking situation. 

Did you go down to the boardwalk south of the pier?  There lies the first ever Hot Dog on a Stick...

Yes it's a chain, but it's the very first location.

WJ:  Regional?  Los Angeles has regional food? 

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 14:49:44 (permalink)
Cliff, Reading your Trip Report, I was reminiscing with Margaret about the last time we were in LA.  It was pre-navigation devices.  Remember the days when you had to buy road maps in advance of a trip?

We did Disney, LA, Beverly Hills, Catalina Island, Etc., but my maps were not very good.  Once we hit Beverly Hills, I bought a map to the stars homes.  It was the best darn map I ever saw!

The kids still bust me about getting lost in East LA, and not being able to find someone who spoke English for directions. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10516
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 14:52:41 (permalink)
mar52-
I looked back at the photo of the menu which mentions that it is called Irish oatmeal, but I still forgot to mention it.  Thanks for the reminder.

We parked beside the pier on the right side by the water.  $6.00.  In Pittsburgh that would be a ripoff, but out there I could live with it.  Unfortunately, we walked no further than on the pier.  First hot dog on a stick would have been cool!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/12/12 14:55:54
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 14:55:20 (permalink)
Joe-
I understand completely.  When Cousin Johnny and I spent a week in the area in 2004, that was also pre-GPS and we were doing it with maps.  Trying to find Philippe's late at night and dealing with the maps was extremely stressful.  How did we survive before technology? 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 15:09:39 (permalink)
buffetbuster

They do have a small amusement park and an aquarium here, but the significance of this place to me is as the western end of Rte. 66.  And they have a board

with historical Rte. 66 info in it.
For those who may not know, Bob Waldmire was the son of Ed Waldmire, Jr., founder of Cozy Dog in Springfield, IL.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 584
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 15:46:48 (permalink)

Buffetbuster -

Wow!  Great trip report!   With a few exceptions, so far it looks like we went to many of the same places.  Looking forward to the rest.

Glenn

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 16:02:33 (permalink)
Glenn1234-
We really did hit many of the same places.  I noticed that right away when you posted your list on page one of this thread.  Hopefully, this brings back some good memories of your trip last year.

ScreamingChicken-
Thanks for that info.  I had no idea!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 584
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 16:15:28 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Glenn1234-
We really did hit many of the same places.  I noticed that right away when you posted your list on page one of this thread.  Hopefully, this brings back some good memories of your trip last year.

It's bringing back great memories!  Not only the food places, but the tourist sights as well.  Like you, we also tried to go to Griffith Observatory on the crowded day after Thanksgiving, and we hit Santa Monica Pier that same weekend, as well.  I envy your UCLA game experience.   I wish Janet and I made it to a UCLA game.  We went to the Getty museum on the Saturday night that weekend, and it was worth it,  ....  but a UCLA game would have been icing on the cake.  

Glenn

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4317
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 20:28:14 (permalink)
EDIT: Looks like I was working on this post at the same time HowlingChicken was making a similar post.

buffetbuster
...but the significance of this place to me is as the western end of Rte. 66.  And they have a board

with historical Rte. 66 info in it.
bb,
Not sure if you know it, but this memorial has dual significance to Roadfooders.  First, of course, is the Route 66 angle, but then there's also the man honored on the board.  Besides being the country's premier Route 66 artist, Bob Waldmire's dad is Ed Waldmire, the inventor and founder of the Cozy Dog Drive In in Springfield, Illinois.  You cam learn more about Bob and see his art at several sites:

http://www.bobwaldmire.com/
https://www.google.com/se...p;biw=1285&bih=805
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kONNVg3Wlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPn10G7pEZk

I never got to meet Bob, but I own a bunch of his populist artwork.  Bob's art is magnificently detailed, focused on Route 66 landmarks, history and natural wonders.  Whether it's in black & white or color, Bob's work is a delight and just plain darn fun to look at.  I'm also well acquainted with his brother Buz, who ran the Cozy Dog for many years following their Dad's death.

Thanks for the report so far.  Looking forward to the rest.

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2012/12/12 20:29:50
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/12 22:47:41 (permalink)
Y'know something. I don't miss living in SoCal at all...but I do get a little homesick when I read reports like this one, filled with the immense variety of the culture and food in that area.
it is hard to describe the SoCal Life-style to anyone who has not lived there...but it is unique, and I enjoy reading of your adventures ! Thanks so much for sharing.  Now let's head for Farmer Boys for some fried squash spears and Onion Rings.
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 00:10:14 (permalink)
Great, Fun report as always. Those are great looking banana cream pies. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Thanks.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 02:28:08 (permalink)
It has been a blast reading your report and reliving preroadfood   trips to a favorite city. I stayed practically across the street from Phillipe's. I was with my second wife staying at a hotel in Chinatown. We were at the American Psychological Association Convention. And I met Sam's  birth mother mother for the first time. My wife and I ate at Phillipe's daily. i felt as if I were in a Chandler of Hammet novel; people reading the racing form, placing bets in phone booths, counter people who stepped out of film noir flicks and a damned good sandwich to boot. The train station reminded me of old movies and tv shows and was quite a place for memories. Olvera Street's charms were also close by and my wife made me get here a fresh squeezed orange juice daily. Meeting Sam's birth mother was haunting and unforgettable and Phillipe's was part of that memory. Thanks for help in resurrecting that memorable few days
post edited by mr chips - 2013/01/01 23:16:43
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4323
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 07:23:12 (permalink)
OMG, that sausage sandwich looks soooooo good!  Almost like you never left Pittsburgh.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 14:24:28 (permalink)
I was hoping to be further along on the report. Sorry! The rest of it will have to wait until I get back from my weekend trip.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 14:28:35 (permalink)
Oh, it figures,

You leave us hanging just as it starts getting really good-

Remember...what happens in .....stays in ......
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/13 16:34:10 (permalink)
Cliff, you also had me at pie clock.  It looks like you had a wonderful time, even with the highs and lows.  I kind of agree with you about In-N-Out--it's still better than pretty much any chain burger with the possible exception of Five Guys.  And that's why it's a beautiful country--don't we have room for both? 

I also do not understand why Steve showing knee on Sunset Boulevard did not bring an immediate and screeching halt to both the entertainment-military complex and downtown traffic.
strongy78
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/15 04:42:46 (permalink)
Buffetbuster- Awesome report!  Just got done reading through the rest of it.  Im glad to see you made it to Apple Pan too.  My favorite burger in LA.  The same friend who introduced me to the Apple Pan, introduced me to Titos Tacos many many years ago.  (His dad grew up a few blocks over from Apple Pan and he was an LA cop so he knew all the good food spots).  If you ever come down to San Diego, let me know...I have some good "non hipster" spots for you to try out ;-).  I hope you go on vacation again soon so I can read some more of your reports!   Have a good one and thanks for keeping me entertained!  
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2535
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/15 09:57:31 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Cliff, you also had me at pie clock.  It looks like you had a wonderful time, even with the highs and lows.  I kind of agree with you about In-N-Out--it's still better than pretty much any chain burger with the possible exception of Five Guys.  And that's why it's a beautiful country--don't we have room for both? 

I also do not understand why Steve showing knee on Sunset Boulevard did not bring an immediate and screeching halt to both the entertainment-military complex and downtown traffic.

Nancy, I could not agree more. In-N-Out Burger is the best of the rest in the same category of Fast food burger restaurants. In-N-Out burger serves real 100% ice cream in their shakes, made to order 100% pure beef hamburgers, real American cheese, fresh baked rolls, Hand cut hand made real french fries. GGGEEZZZZZ, I think they do a great job..........I'll be in AZ and California, I'm looking forward to a dbl dbl animal style, homemade fries, Root beer float............not bad for a fast food joint.......................pnwc 

Animal Style = burger of your choice with hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, a mustard cooked beef patty; add pickle, extra spread with grilled onions
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/12/15 10:02:09
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/15 13:17:10 (permalink)
With Texas finally getting In-N-Out in the Dallas area and Five Guys in Longview, Tx. I would have to say I prefer Five Guys. I'm glad In-N-Out wasnt a total failure BB. I hate for any meal to be a dissapointment. Thanks Again, looking forward to more.   
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 13:03:05 (permalink)
Okay, I am back from my weekend in Las Vegas and I am going to pick up where it was left off.  Just wanted to thank everyone for all the nice comments.  They are much appreciated!

And it was great to hear from Nancypalooza.  Why TTM wasn't discovered is a mystery to me.  He would be perfect for infomercials, at least.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 13:48:45 (permalink)
Monday November 26, 2012 (cont.)

It was a short drive down the coast to the small community of Playa del Rey and G's Juice

This is a place that was found and reviewed by wanderingjew.  As you can see by the photo, G's Juice only takes up half of the business.  The other half is a Mexican place called Senor G's

We originally only had plans to grab a couple of smoothies.  The menu board

is large and there many different combinations of fruits to choose from.  To help you determine which of the six available sizes you want, the have empty cups

to use as examples, which I liked.  We also got a laugh out of the signs telling you where to order, where to pay and where to pick up your beverages, 

considering how small the place is. 

First up was our fruit smoothie. 

Called Playa del Rey, it is a wonderful combination of three of my favorite fruits, watermelon, mango and cantelope.  I watched the young man make it with real fruit and that makes all the difference.  Mariton and I both agreed that cantaloupe was the dominant flavor.  This was an excellent smoothie!  Next was the fresh fruit juice combination of orange, mango and pineapple. 

Also very good, but we would have preferred more mango and pineapple flavor as it tasted mostly like regular orange juice.  While we were sitting there, Mariton kept reading the menu and was intrigued by the wheatgrass.  Once the guy at the counter told her it was good for antioxidants, she got herself a small one. 

She did ask if I wanted to try it and I regret saying no, but she seemed to enjoy it.

While we were drinking our beverages, the waiter from Senor G's wanted to know if we were interested in ordering some food. Hey, it couldn't hurt looking at the menu.  He soon brought us over some marvelous homemade chips and salsa. 

The salsa was chunky and mildy hot.  We decided on a couple of tacos.  Mariton loved the carne asada taco,

topped with cilantro, lettuce, cheese and onion.  The beef was moist and tender and she ate most of it.  That was okay, because that left the fish taco,

made with grilled tilapia, for me.   I particularly liked the tomatillo guacamole sauce.

Nice find WJ!  We really liked this place(s).

G's Juice
343 Culver Boulevard
Playa del Rey, CA
310-822-7733

We thought this would be a good time to leave the city, so we got on the highway and headed north.      
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/12/18 13:54:27
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 17:52:40 (permalink)
You know I've been holding my breath all weekend
Finally the regional stuff ! 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 18:34:36 (permalink)
I have never considered juice bars as regional.  I know that Michael Stern mentioned it as being such but I don't get it.

A few of the smaller Mexican places serve jugos, but they're closing faster than they're opening.  I guess the food they're serving is just as regional as the juice.

Now taquitos...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 18:52:59 (permalink)
mar52

I have never considered juice bars as regional.  I know that Michael Stern mentioned it as being such but I don't get it.

A few of the smaller Mexican places serve jugos, but they're closing faster than they're opening.  I guess the food they're serving is just as regional as the juice.

Now taquitos...

You may not consider it regional but other current and ex-Angeleno's do....I know,  I work with them...I hope you don't take offense  Mar, but I don't consider you the typical Angeleno- (probably more old school NY'er  than anything)
Is the Mexican food really regional  (including Taquitos) if its served in Texas, Arizona and New mexico too? 

Remember, "Orange Julius and Jamba Juice both got their start in the LA area.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/12/18 18:54:11
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 19:32:54 (permalink)
Dale, this is one I don't think we'll ever agree on but that's what makes things great... we don't have to agree.

My thoughts being Los Angeles born and raised.  And...  No offense taken.  (New York???)

Orange Julius and Jamba Juice are chains so I never considered them. 

I think the blender smoothies began with the advent of the Vita-Mix which is at every fair all over the country.  Then smoothies were available at health food stores.

I'd admit to this being regional but it's sadly now gone:  Not known by many was the juice bar at our Third and Fairfax, Farmer's Market.  They didn't blend drinks, they just mixed them...  Carrot coconut or pomegranate coconut being my favorites.  I miss that place.

Taquitos served at Olvera Street's Cielito Lindo can be found nowhere else.  They're one of a kind.  Not even the other places in Olvera Street duplicate them.

Back on topic...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 19:48:38 (permalink)
mar52

Dale, this is one I don't think we'll ever agree on but that's what makes things great... we don't have to agree.

My thoughts being Los Angeles born and raised.  And...  No offense taken.  (New York???)

Orange Julius and Jamba Juice are chains so I never considered them. 

I think the blender smoothies began with the advent of the Vita-Mix which is at every fair all over the country.  Then smoothies were available at health food stores.

I'd admit to this being regional but it's sadly now gone:  Not known by many was the juice bar at our Third and Fairfax, Farmer's Market.  They didn't blend drinks, they just mixed them...  Carrot coconut or pomegranate coconut being my favorites.  I miss that place.

Taquitos served at Olvera Street's Cielito Lindo can be found nowhere else.  They're one of a kind.  Not even the other places in Olvera Street duplicate them.

Back on topic...

Not quite yet... Mar

apparently Serious Eats thinks so

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/06/los-angeles-10-best-smoothies.html

Using your rational, Buffalo Wings can be found all over the country too.

I have to disagree with you about Taquitos, I found them all over in Arizona and Texas, they even have them here in Rhode Island too.... 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/12/18 19:50:18
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 20:21:21 (permalink)
I'm interested in the link you posted but it puts me back on Roadfood. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 20:31:45 (permalink)
mar52

I'm interested in the link you posted but it puts me back on Roadfood. 

oops, sorry - take 2

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/06/los-angeles-10-best-smoothies.html
mar52
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 20:33:00 (permalink)
Seems to me that Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque and El Paso have juice bars.  They're in small Mexican restaurants.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:L.A. Confidential 2012/12/18 20:37:11 (permalink)
mar52

Seems to me that Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque and El Paso have juice bars.  They're in small Mexican restaurants.

True, at least for Phoenix and Tucson,  although I saw more "standalones" in Southern California, however I lived in Albuquerque and visited many times over the years and never saw any. Horchata, yes, smoothies, no. 
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 15
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1