The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Keeping your water from freezing trick I have learned

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
Keeping your water from freezing trick I have learned Sat, 12/8/12 4:09 AM (permalink)
Been a while since I have been on here. But a friend bought a food trailer at an auction and we did a quick flip on it . Since I built my last trailer and sold if for a great profit this was a no brainier.The problem with my first build is the temps -20 most of the time up here when we sold food and water freezing and propane tank regulators icing up. Sorry I did not take any photos of this one it was a fast flip .Quick clean up ordered a few things to keep everything from freezing and re-sold . But here is what we did this time. Keep in mind kind of spendy but cheaper then replacing Instant hot water heaters (Been there done that).

First to take care of the icing on the regulators or it was to cold and the gas was vaporizing and had no pressure at -20 and colder we bought some Powerblankets for the tanks. They make a flat one for water tanks also
http://www.powerblanket.com/gas-cylinder-warmers/
Next was the dang water freezing tried everything the first build after I sold it I bought a boat,This is where the next tip came from. I bought a 1000 watt boatsafe heater and it keeps my boat engine at a toasty 40 at -20. You can pick them up on Ebay $200-400. We put one in the water/ hot water tank area. It comes on a 32 and cuts off at 55. Worked great for the few weeks we had it in the trailer
http://www.theboatsafe.com/
A third trick if you do not have the money at the time
Buy a 100 or 150 watt "RED" farmers or reptile heat lamp bulb
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Heat-Glo-Infrared-100-Watt-120-Volt/dp/B0002AR3QW
Then buy Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet  these turns the light on at 32 and off at 45
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search#?w=Thermo+Cube+Thermostatically+Controlled+Outlet&searchButton.x=24&searchButton.y=20&sliredirect=1
Hope these ideas might help someone or give you an idea

<message edited by Freezers-full-in-Alaska on Sat, 12/8/12 4:11 AM>

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
    Re:Keeping your water from freezing trick I have learned Sat, 12/8/12 11:24 AM (permalink)
    $200-400 for a heater to keep your water fluid?  I Did it for two years with a $25 space heater.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
      Re:Keeping your water from freezing trick I have learned Sat, 12/8/12 2:04 PM (permalink)
      chefbuba

$200-400 for a heater to keep your water fluid?  I Did it for two years with a $25 space heater.

Can do that also :) But the gas lines are by the water tanks and heater and in case of a leak  he did not want an ignition source and that's what a boatsafe heater prevents. It made little sense because if there ever was a leak you would know it as soon as you fired up the griddle :) But that's what my friend wanted to put in there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com