easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
  • Reward points : 0
Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 8:53 AM

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 9:09 AM
A bit more costly than the mainstream FF Burger-centered stands, but I do like the Burgers, and the Pork Tenderloins are fine also, when you want one and are not in the Pork Belt to find an independent.
Same with their Custard, Good, but not top-rated. Beats hell out of DQ soft-serve !

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 9:52 AM
I've come to like their pot roast sandwich, I'm not a real fan of the butter burgers.

mayor al
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 12:40 PM
When  they have them I enjoy the Walleye sandwich or plate. Excellent eating fish !

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3289
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 12:43 PM
I never think to go there, as they are incredibly inconveniently located from everywhere I go. But I do like their burgers and custard. Their fries are pretty blah...IIRC they're the frozen crinkle-cut ones, which is funny considering how their commercials go on and on about how their burgers are never frozen because freezing them kills the flavour.

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 1:32 PM
mayor al

When  they have them I enjoy the Walleye sandwich or plate. Excellent eating fish !

The one here only has Walleye around Lent.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 2:03 PM
No offense, friends. Dont like any of their sandwiches. Very dry. Perhaps it is the location. And living in Kopps country, their custard is weak......but they will do in a pinch.

easydoesit
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 2:12 PM
They would like to serve walleye year round, but just can't get their hands on enough quantity.  I'm not sure of their distribution policy, but I like to think they love us in their home state of Wiscsonsin, and protect us first.

But their regular cod is very, very good.  It's surprising, or maybe not, but Wisconsin is famous for fish fries, and these guys really hold their own.  What we like is we don't have to wait for Friday night to get the good stuff.

The cod is a fave of ours, and all the burgers too.  Heck, everything there is good.

http://www.culvers.com/

I don't know about other Culvers stores, but the vibe inside our locals is far different from any other fast foods around.  They are very community minded, and they they provide great employment for local teenagers and elderly women, which are largely underemployed groups.  They are our neighbors and our neighbors kids and grandkids.

But all the workers seem happy to be there, and they give a darn about you and your food too.

The kids are great, always smiling, and they make you feel good.  But actually we like dealing with the older ladies, for the simple reason they've been around and just seem to 'get it' better.

That last part is true at McDonalds too, about the older ladies.  Locally, anyway.

ann peeples
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 2:40 PM
Well, us "older" ladies get how to work. Period. Culvers is a great place, dont get me wrong. i just have better places to go-in my area.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 6:52 PM
We love our Culver's here in McKinney, TX.  Never had either a bad meal or a bad experience there.  They are definitely a cut (or three) above McD's/Wendy's/BK - and even a cut above In-N-Out.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 8:01 PM
We get over to the Ft. Myers area a couple times a years so we may be able to check it out. I was encouraged the menu stated "lightly buttered" toasted bun as I was envisioning them ladling melted butter on the whole burger. Wasn't there a review of a place that did that on here?

felix4067
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 8:21 PM
They don't dump butter on it, don't worry. They use a pastry brush, and it's on the top of the bun.

Edit:
Not on the top, like the outside, but on the bottom of the top, toward the burger. Just realized that came out funny. 
<message edited by felix4067 on Wed, 12/12/12 9:06 PM>

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 8:23 PM
I share the majority opinion here. I've never had a bad meal there and they must pay better than Mickey Dees or Bee Kay because the employees at every single one we've ever been to have been top rate.

I'm happy you Florida folks are getting to enjoy Culver's.

Oh yeah, and try the breaded cheese curds.

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Wed, 12/12/12 10:42 PM
I enjoy the burgers at Culver's, but the nearest one to Batesville is nearly an hour away in Florence KY. When I move back to Chicagoland in the spring I'll be within five minutes of a Culver's ( and it's right next door to an Al's #1 Italian Beef! ) which will make me very, very happy.
<message edited by carolina bob on Wed, 12/12/12 10:44 PM>

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 8:38 AM
I've been a fan of Culver's since 1986. For fast food, they're burgers are top notch. The walleye is also a favorite. A cup of their chocolate custard covered with mint and hot fudge is absolutely outstanding and so was their pineapple malt, which they discontinued in my area. I had the opportunity to meet Craig Culver in 2003 at the Wisconsin Restaurant Show and he truly is a very nice guy.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7743
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 10:17 AM
Is the Culver's flavor of the day frozen custard the only flavor available...on a daily basis?

felix4067
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 11:39 AM
CCinNJ

Is the Culver's flavor of the day frozen custard the only flavor available...on a daily basis?

Nope. They always have chocolate or vanilla if you want it plain, or they do a few different sundaes, shakes and malts, and what they call concrete mixers (which would be a flurry if you were elsewhere).

I'm going to Culver's on my way home from work tomorrow. This thread has made me want it very badly.

Edit: Shoot, no I'm not. They close at 10. That makes me very sad.
<message edited by felix4067 on Thu, 12/13/12 11:42 AM>

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 11:54 AM
Not having a Culver's makes me very very sad.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 12:43 PM
I've never had Culvers, but by their website, it just looks like a national fast-food chain.  I can't imagine there wouldn't always be a local burger and shake shop that would be superior.  Am I wrong?

felix4067
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 1:17 PM
Pigiron

I've never had Culvers, but by their website, it just looks like a national fast-food chain.  I can't imagine there wouldn't always be a local burger and shake shop that would be superior.  Am I wrong?

Depends on your locale. Around here, we have pretty much nowhere that comes close. Yeah, we have local burger shops that serve shakes, but even Sonic is better than they are. My go-to is Steak & Shake.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7595
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 1:28 PM
We will probably be in Texas again in January and I think I need to give Culvers another try.  I did not like or finish the Butter Burger but I'd like to try a pork tenderloin sandwich.

I like the frozen custard.  It's so much better than any soft serve we have here.

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 1:52 PM
You can know the flavor of the day...before you even pack your bag.

They are posted through January.

I like that...for some reason.

easydoesit
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 2:46 PM
chicagostyledog

I've been a fan of Culver's since 1986. For fast food, they're burgers are top notch. The walleye is also a favorite. A cup of their chocolate custard covered with mint and hot fudge is absolutely outstanding and so was their pineapple malt, which they discontinued in my area. I had the opportunity to meet Craig Culver in 2003 at the Wisconsin Restaurant Show and he truly is a very nice guy.

CSD,
I smell opportunity!  Culver's has a hot dog, okay fine, but it's not much of a presence on their menu, it's there mainly for the kids.  But a Chicago style hot dog, now that's something!  And you are, absolutely, THE Chicago Style Dog. 

It seems it could be a great addition to their menu, and they already have some of the ingredients in the store.  But not those Vienna weiners, and not the poppy seed bun.  That wouldn't be so hard to add in.

And you met Craig Culver.   Is there a way to put together a deal?  Your connections to the Vienna people could help facilitate, smooth out problems, and I could see a nice little three-way with you in the middle (a good place).

And I could see an advertising blitz, announcing their new great addition, as Chicago Comes To America, or something.  I see you at your stand in your porkpie, handing out the dogs, a quick clip of your TV piece, a mention of HDU, and you are the hot dog man!  I see your smiling countenance on their website real easy.

It's just a feeling, but I bet it would go.

In La Crosse, now, we really don't need it, because of a local place.  But from people posting here, that is obviously not true everywhere.  We have a great place here, from some Chicago expatriates.  You might even know them.  But it's a family place, will be it here forever, who knows?

http://chicagosbeef.com/

Jimmy Durante said "Everybody wants to get into the act."  But you belong in the act.  You and your weenies.

Off topic, but as long as I'm here...I have a S&W .357 K Frame Masterpiece, six inch barrel, serial number shows made in 1957, real good shape, almost no bluing loss.  The darn thing is so accurate I just have to sort of point it in the general direction and the tin can falls over.

What's it worth? I think I saw around 350 - 450 on Gunbroker. It's a little too big for my hand, and I'd like some better fit.  I know you're a .357 fan, and I get over to your area once in a while.  Got anything you'd like to trade?

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 5:52 PM
While I'm not a big fan of Culver's my son really likes their cod sandwich. Then again, he likes almost anyone's fish sandwich.

mayor al
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Thu, 12/13/12 8:00 PM
Root Beer Man,
 You gotta take to Nashville to try some of the "HOT FISH SANDWICHES" there. Great local item.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 7:42 AM
felix4067

Pigiron

Depends on your locale. Around here, we have pretty much nowhere that comes close. Yeah, we have local burger shops that serve shakes, but even Sonic is better than they are. My go-to is Steak & Shake.

Yes, now that you mention them, Steak 'n Shake is indeed a worthy - and similar - competitor to Culver's.  We are "blessed" by both here in the northern 'burbs of Dallas; here in McKinney (USA Today's 'second best' "Place to Live in the U.S."), Mrs. Metro and I prefer our Culver's.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 8:56 AM
ann peeples

Well, us "older" ladies get how to work. Period. Culvers is a great place, dont get me wrong. i just have better places to go-in my area.
I'm with Ms. Ann here. I remember going to the first Culver's in Sauk City, WI years ago. So many better local burgers and custards around here to choose from. The fries are horrible and it's very pricey.

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 9:08 AM
A Steak 'n Shake Signature recently opened in Paramus NJ. The SnS Signature looks more NYC edge than Midwest fast food.. Looks more like Sushi n' Sake...served here.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 12/14/12 9:28 AM>

Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 9:36 AM
MetroplexJim

Yes, now that you mention them, Steak 'n Shake is indeed a worthy - and similar - competitor to Culver's.  We are "blessed" by both here in the northern 'burbs of Dallas; here in McKinney (USA Today's 'second best' "Place to Live in the U.S."), Mrs. Metro and I prefer our Culver's

We just got two Steak n' Shakes by me- one in Manhattan and one out in the suburbs (the location in Paramus that CC mentioned is pretty close to my home).  I took a look at them, and they don't seem any different than the literal hundreds of other fast-food burger places around Bergen County.  I can't imagine choosing SnS over a local place.  Why eat national chain fast-food when The Fireplace, The Iron Horse Tavern, and White Manna, are all within just a few miles of SnS?  There's even a Bobby's Burger Palace about 3 miles from there if you must eat in a mall (granted, BBP is in danger of becoming a national chain- but so far the burgers are still TOP notch).   

I won't even mention the idea of eating fast food in Manhattan.  

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 9:48 AM
I look at it more from a business standpoint than food. It's interesting to see the way companies make decisions.

Culver's has a very very good structure...from a business outlook.

They are fast food...but there is a great deal of community in the effort...and their own standards are very high when it comes to commitment to franchise a Culver's vs. just having the money to throw in the pot.

They have a 16-week Culver's boot camp!

felix4067
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 11:57 AM
Pigiron

MetroplexJim

Yes, now that you mention them, Steak 'n Shake is indeed a worthy - and similar - competitor to Culver's.  We are "blessed" by both here in the northern 'burbs of Dallas; here in McKinney (USA Today's 'second best' "Place to Live in the U.S."), Mrs. Metro and I prefer our Culver's

We just got two Steak n' Shakes by me- one in Manhattan and one out in the suburbs (the location in Paramus that CC mentioned is pretty close to my home).  I took a look at them, and they don't seem any different than the literal hundreds of other fast-food burger places around Bergen County.  I can't imagine choosing SnS over a local place.  Why eat national chain fast-food when The Fireplace, The Iron Horse Tavern, and White Manna, are all within just a few miles of SnS?  There's even a Bobby's Burger Palace about 3 miles from there if you must eat in a mall (granted, BBP is in danger of becoming a national chain- but so far the burgers are still TOP notch).   

For you, that makes sense. For those of us who do not have local burger and shake joints, or those we do have are pretty crappy (the few we have left serve Sysco or GFS), it does not.

It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand that not everyone has the variety of Roadfood to choose from where they live, and must make do with what they have.  I figure SnS can't be all bad, since it has been featured as a restaurant of the day here (something I don't agree with, incidentally, but I do enjoy their food).
<message edited by felix4067 on Fri, 12/14/12 11:59 AM>

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:09 PM
SnS looks to be doing pretty good in NYC. I wish there was at least one that was not the Signature version. I'n my upcoming travels I look forward to giving both a try. They both seem to do plenty right in the fast food business...

http://www.zagat.com/buzz...yc-burger-wars-heat-up

The article mentions that SnS was part of the inspiration for the beloved Shake Shack. Good enough for a go...for sure.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 12/14/12 12:25 PM>

Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:19 PM
felix4067

Pigiron

MetroplexJim

For you, that makes sense. For those of us who do not have local burger and shake joints, or those we do have are pretty crappy (the few we have left serve Sysco or GFS), it does not.

It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand that not everyone has the variety of Roadfood to choose from where they live, and must make do with what they have.  I figure SnS can't be all bad, since it has been featured as a restaurant of the day here (something I don't agree with, incidentally, but I do enjoy their food).

I assume that was directed my way (I only make that assumption because you quoted my post), and I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I absolutely do understand that not everyone has a great variety of non-chain restaurants to choose from.  That's exactly why I was wondering why anyone would choose a national chain when they DO have great non-chain options in the same vicinity.  

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 508
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:29 PM
CCinNJ

SnS looks to be doing pretty good in NYC. I wish we there was at least one that was not the Signature version. I'n my upcoming travels I look forward to giving both a try. They both seem to do plenty right in the fast food business...

http://www.zagat.com/buzz...yc-burger-wars-heat-up

The article mentions that SnS was part of the inspiration for the beloved Shake Shack. Good enough for a go...for sure.

What's the "Signature version"?   There is a Steak N Shake in Fredericksburg, VA, about an hour or so away from us.  We have gone a few times when we are down that way.   How do I know if it's the "Signature version", and what does that mean? 

Thanks.

Glenn

felix4067
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:29 PM
Pigiron

I assume that was directed my way (I only make that assumption because you quoted my post), and I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.  I absolutely do understand that not everyone has a great variety of non-chain restaurants to choose from.  That's exactly why I was wondering why anyone would choose a national chain when they DO have great non-chain options in the same vicinity.   

It was directed at you, since this isn't the first time in this thread you've made a similar statement. Now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. But the impression I got was that you didn't think anyone should ever choose a chain for a burger for any reason whatsoever, since you didn't have to where you live. Like I said, now that you've explained it, it makes way more sense.

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:30 PM
Why not?

When you've been here forever...you eventually have a meal of two that's fast food.

Why would anyone buy Doritos when they live in NYC?

That's part of life. Especially when you have kids.

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 12:57 PM
Glen...I'm not sure what the difference is between the Signature version vs. a SnS.
I've never been a regular SnS. I will soon. The furnishings at the Signature look different in Paramus. The menus have more words and 100% this and that.

Ohhhh...and I'll gladly take a meal from Culver's or SnS before the BR Guest Bill's Bar & Burger philosophy package of look at us...mastering the fine art of simplicity. Aren't we genius and not above it all? Eh.

It's a faux hole-in-the-wall.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 12/14/12 1:17 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 1:49 PM

Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 1:52 PM
CCinNJ

When you've been here forever...you eventually have a meal of two that's fast food.

No, I won't.

CCinNJ
]

That's part of life. Especially when you have kids.

It's absolutely NOT a part of life unless you choose it to be.  I have never and will never feed my child fast food.  I'm sure he'll get plenty of it in his life, but it won't come from me.  

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 1:57 PM
You asked what's special?

it gets a thumbs up to that degree from Nick...It must stand far from the rest.

Pigiron
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 2:21 PM
felix4067

Pigiron

It was directed at you, since this isn't the first time in this thread you've made a similar statement. Now that you've explained it, it makes more sense. But the impression I got was that you didn't think anyone should ever choose a chain for a burger for any reason whatsoever, since you didn't have to where you live. Like I said, now that you've explained it, it makes way more sense.

Thanks, Felix.  If it means anything, my point often gets lost due to my rambling.  I think I communicate better in person than in the blogosphere (is that where we are?). 

Root-Beer Man
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 4:47 PM
mayor al

Root Beer Man,
You gotta take to Nashville to try some of the "HOT FISH SANDWICHES" there. Great local item.

Nashville, IN? I'll have to make a trip down that way. Bring the boy with me. The only southern Indiana town I've eaten in so far was New Albany, at the New Albany brewing company. We had one of their pizzas and it was pretty good. Definitely have to make the trip to Nashville.

CCinNJ
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 7:51 PM
The other Nashville.

Uncle Groucho
  • Total Posts : 207
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Fri, 12/14/12 9:05 PM
Root Beer Man, Did you get your pizza from the NABC on Grantline Rd or at the Downtown NABC ?
The NABC in Downtown New Albany has a different menu. I am a fan of their Community Dark Beer.

p.s. it is the New Albanian Brew Company

michaelcarraher
  • Total Posts : 159
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Sat, 12/15/12 11:25 AM
Sooner or later, local favorites follow long-time customers down I-75 or I-95 (or to Arizona) and establish a beachhead for retirees.

Root-Beer Man
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Sat, 12/15/12 12:51 PM
Uncle Groucho

Root Beer Man, Did you get your pizza from the NABC on Grantline Rd or at the Downtown NABC ?
The NABC in Downtown New Albany has a different menu. I am a fan of their Community Dark Beer.

p.s. it is the New Albanian Brew Company

I do believe it was the Grantline Rd location. Small strip mall place with a smaller brewery in it. I was quite pleased with the pizza. Definitely a step above your average fast food pizza. Lots of meat and not too heavy on the sauce. Don't remember what what beer my wife had, (I was driving so stuck to a soda), but she really liked it. Then again she's a fan of theirs and not sure shes run across a bad offering yet.

ann peeples
Re:Culver's coming to Florida - Sat, 12/15/12 3:04 PM
Thanks, Pancho-again, just have better places to eat at, in my area. I did enjoy their fish sandwiches. And Steak and Shake didnt make it here, at all.