Chestnuts

Double Cheeseburger
2012/12/13 18:28:13
When I was a kid back in the 40's we used to go to the Philly mummers parade on new years day.  My father would always buy a bag of chestnuts from a pushcart vendor who was roasting them over a coal fire.  I loved them.  But I buy the nuts at the supermarket and I just can't seem to get them done properly.  Can anyone give me a lift on how to do chestnuts?
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/13 20:53:32
I make chestnuts all winter. So easy. Cut an "X" across the fat part of the nut. Roast in fireplace or (oven or toaster oven at 350 or so) for 25 minutes. Peel and enjoy. No seasoning needed.

PS: if you don't score them, they WILL explode.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/13 21:44:44
If your thinking of chestnuts from a parade (and something is missing) it's the charcoal that gives chestnuts and pretzels on the street...a distinct taste and aroma.

http://www.centerforagrof...rition/chestnut101.pdf
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/13 21:50:41
It's all in the preparation.  Using a very sharp paring knife, cut around the entire chestnut.  Lightly, no need to cut down to the fruit.

My favorite street food in Roma.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/14 02:27:18
From a pushcart at a train station somewhere in Switzerland.... can't duplicate that.

Used to buy small Japanese/Chinese? chestnuts from a vendor at our Farmer's Market.  They were roasted in tiny black pebbles.  So sweet they were sticky.  They were also wonderful.

I've burned almost as many as I've purchased raw.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/14 12:04:23
Thanks for the advice everyone.  My Shoprite has some nice looking chestnuts.  I'll have to give them a try this weekend.
Pigiron
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/26 12:03:53
Anyone visiting NYC this winter, here's a chestnut locator, and a nice little film.

http://agendanyc.com/holiday/
post edited by Pigiron - 2012/12/26 13:07:49
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/26 12:10:14
Thank you for posting that!

The nut tracker...is priceless!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/26 12:13:26
Chris-just wondering if you have recovered from the storm........sorry I didnt ask earlier....
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/26 19:09:25
December - February chestnut vendors are everywhere in Paris, especially on Bv. Hausmann near Printemps and Galerie LaFayette.  Recently, the price is 3 Euro: tres cher for just a bite!
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/27 10:51:26
ann peeples

Chris-just wondering if you have recovered from the storm........sorry I didnt ask earlier....

Thanks.  We should be able to move back by the end of January.  We have new furniture on layaway.  Looking forward to getting home!

Pigiron
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/27 11:31:16
Chris, what's the Boardwalk looking like?  How did all the businesses make out?  WHAT OF MACK AND MANCO???

OC has been my family's summer destination for the past 4 years and we have a strong affection for that town.  We're betting on a big comeback- for the businesses and the residents alike.  It's a wonderful place.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/27 12:03:58
Most of the damage in OC was the result of flooding.  I had about two feet of water throughout the house.  Lost all the furniture, stove, refrig, heater hot water heater and all the base cabinets in the kitchen. 
The boardwalk had very little damage, but the downtown was clobbered.  Arlene's on Asbury has reopened but a lot of the businesses were still closed when I went down last Wednesday - the 5 & 10, the Cricket Box, 12th St. Wawa - all emptied out.
I'm sure by springtime things will be back to normal.
Mack & Manco is now Manco & Manco, but I believe they are open.
post edited by ChrisOC - 2012/12/27 12:07:30
Pigiron
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/27 13:01:18
Chris, thanks for the info.  Glad to hear that you're moving back in and starting to get back towards normalcy.  

I hope the shops on Asbury can rebuild and reopen.  All those small shops are so vital to a vacation town.
fabulousoyster
Re:Chestnuts 2012/12/27 21:22:04
slice a little x and microwave them for 30 seconds .  Peel easy.
Erampu
Junior Burger
Re:Chestnuts 2013/02/23 13:36:52
Here's how we used to "do" chestnuts when we were kids.  first we'd walk about a half mile to the chestnut tree in front of the old lumber yard and find a chunk of wood.  Thenwe threw the chunk of wood up into the tree to dislodge some chestnuts.  Then we'd gather them up and run before the woman who lived on the property came out and yelled at us and threatened to call the cops.  When we got them home we'd take a nail and drive it through the center of the chestnut, after peeling off the husk, of course, to make a hole to pass an old shoelace through.  Then we tied a knot in the shoelace to prevent the chestnut from sliding off, and viola, a chestnut on a string!  We'd play this game with alternate shots of swinging the shoelace to make your chestnut come crashing down on your opponent's chestnut.  Whichever chestnut resisted breaking was the winner.

If you were looking for a recipe for roasting them, sorry.  We didn't even know they were edible, despite the "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire" song at Christmastime.