Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/23 21:37:31
The Travelin Man
Another tip - PVD-WAS (Providence to Washington) is $67 each way. You can also stop at any station along the way and so long as you reboard a train heading in the same direction within 24 hours, there is no change in fare. In other words, PVD-NYP-PHL-BAL-WAS is also $67, if you were so inclined as to do that kind of crazy itinerary over the course of one weekend, provided you book each train less then 24 hours after arrival in each city. It might be fun to "stop off" in Philadelphia for a cheesesteak, and reboard a train for Baltimore in four hours, for instance.

I'm intrigued by this approach.  How do the mechanics of this work?  Just get off the train, go to the ticket counter, and rebook for a trip leaving from the station in less than 24 hours?
I always thought it would be fun to do WRJ->NYP->PHL->BAL->WAS or some variant for one of my early summer trips, stopping off several times along the way.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 08:27:07
kaszeta

The Travelin Man
Another tip - PVD-WAS (Providence to Washington) is $67 each way. You can also stop at any station along the way and so long as you reboard a train heading in the same direction within 24 hours, there is no change in fare. In other words, PVD-NYP-PHL-BAL-WAS is also $67, if you were so inclined as to do that kind of crazy itinerary over the course of one weekend, provided you book each train less then 24 hours after arrival in each city. It might be fun to "stop off" in Philadelphia for a cheesesteak, and reboard a train for Baltimore in four hours, for instance.

I'm intrigued by this approach.  How do the mechanics of this work?  Just get off the train, go to the ticket counter, and rebook for a trip leaving from the station in less than 24 hours?
I always thought it would be fun to do WRJ->NYP->PHL->BAL->WAS or some variant for one of my early summer trips, stopping off several times along the way.

Kaszeta

I did something very similar back in 2008. I took Amtrak from Kingston RI to Philly, then from Philly to DC, then DC to NYC then back to Kingston, all in one weekend (to see a Nationals Game and a Yankees Game) I got the ticket in advance and prepared my schedule on line. I suspect this is something that needs to be planned in advance either on line or by phone
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 09:07:41
kaszeta

The Travelin Man

WJ is correct. You do need to book the tickets in advance. There are very few routes on Amtrak that are open seating, so you need a ticket for the specific train on which you wish to travel. It used to be that with a rail pass, you could do just as you suggest - buy one ticket and hop on and off trains, as long as there was a seat available, with no advanced planning (my kind of deal!). Now, especially with Amtrak  introducing e-tickets, everything is for a specific train.

As an example, over the holidays, I priced out an itinerary from Wilmington, DE to NY. The ticket was $41 one-way. I could also book WLM-PHL//overnight in Philly//PHL-NYP for the same $41 total....but, yes, you need to book the trains in advance. And, as I said earlier, on all of the northeast corridor routes, there is a 25% discount for purchasing tickets 21 days in advance....which is a (relatively) huge discount for Amtrak travel.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 11:39:59
wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

Instead of my usual snarky comments, you get helpful info today. :) 

Actually, I was hoping for some $$, points, credits..... I'll take anything.....

You can look at this one of two ways....

(1) Buy your ticket now. Compare the cost of the ticket in October to the $87 price you can find today and whatever you saved, you can consider my gift.  You'll find that I am surprisingly generous.

(2) Use your good credit to apply for a ton of credit cards, all with huge signup bonuses. That is the way of the community known as "travel hackers." You can get free tickets on Southwest, free nights in hotels, and even free train rides. After you get the points posted to your account, cancel the credit cards. Rinse and repeat. If you need step-by-step details, then I can help - but, that would require a consultant's fee, payable in ribs.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 13:20:55
wanderingjew
Funds are very, very tight this year.....(TTM and Buffetbuster, I'm accepting donations for the sake of Roadfood )
My contributions will be limited.  If you come to Pittsbugh, you can have a couple of free nights in the Cousin Johnny suite at Casa de Buster.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 18:03:42
The Travelin Man 

wanderingjew 

The Travelin Man 

Instead of my usual snarky comments, you get helpful info today. :)  

Actually, I was hoping for some $$, points, credits..... I'll take anything..... 

You can look at this one of two ways.... 

(1) Buy your ticket now. Compare the cost of the ticket in October to the $87 price you can find today and whatever you saved, you can consider my gift.  You'll find that I am surprisingly generous. 

(2) Use your good credit to apply for a ton of credit cards, all with huge signup bonuses. That is the way of the community known as "travel hackers." You can get free tickets on Southwest, free nights in hotels, and even free train rides. After you get the points posted to your account, cancel the credit cards. Rinse and repeat. If you need step-by-step details, then I can help - but, that would require a consultant's fee, payable in ribs. 

Thanks for the advice, but what I was really hoping for was YOUR $$ or YOUR points...

buffetbuster

wanderingjew
Funds are very, very tight this year.....(TTM and Buffetbuster, I'm accepting donations for the sake of Roadfood )
My contributions will be limited.  If you come to Pittsbugh, you can have a couple of free nights in the Cousin Johnny suite at Casa de Buster.

Thanks, if we do go, it will likely be a roadtrip which means I'll be able to reimburse you with Shoo fly Pie
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 18:09:18
wanderingjew
Thanks for the advice, but what I was really hoping for was YOUR $$ or YOUR points...

Give a man a fish and he can eat lutefisk for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can eat lutefisk....well, still only for a day. No one would eat that crap more than once.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 18:18:44
BB-  Betty Lucas and Helen Stroud  are the two pioneers of the fried chicken tradition in KC.  Almost any place you can name  (except Brookville)  was on the map if and only if they hired Betty Lucas to come in and show them how to do it.
Mrs. Peters,  Boots & Coates, RC?   That's all Chicken Betty.    Sorry. This is a duplicate post and I don't know how to delete it.
post edited by Poverty Pete - 2013/01/24 18:39:40
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 18:20:27
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

Give a man a fish and he can eat lutefisk for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can eat lutefisk....well, still only for a day. No one would eat that crap more than once.

Oh, frig, I was laughing so hard, I practically spit out my  Dr Brown's Diet Black Cherry Soda
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 18:48:19
The Odd, the Weird and the Quirky

Just some stuff that made me do a double take throughout the year....

Where else but New Orleans?

Ditto.....

While walking down Royal Street in New Orleans, who would have thought that I would run into Chris' (Ayersian's)   long lost big armed cousin  (2nd from the right)..... 

The Shilo Museum of Ozark History Springdale AR

Sometimes surnames and professions just go hand in hand.....Fayetteville AR

Someone explain to me what TTM is doing to poor Mr. Piggy....Knockum Hill BBQ Herndon KY

Just some folk I ran into in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ

Ironically these two places are located right next door to eachother in Old Town Tempe AZ- make sense?

I wonder what weird little guitar dude is doing right now? San Antonio TX

I love craft beer too, I can take or leave "happy bacon" Austin TX

An intense game of chess in Downtown Atlanta

It's incredibly amazing how much these penguins resemble Ralph Melton and TTM !! - The Aviary Pittsburgh PA
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/24 18:51:05
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 19:44:31
Great, now I'm craving Stroud's Fried Chicken.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/24 22:34:59
WJ.......loved the Chess pic!  Those of you old enough to remember "The Prisoner" with Patrick McGoohan will remember the real life Chess game (alas, the "pawns" got zapped!)  When we lived in the UK, we got to visit Portmerion in Wales where it was filmed and saw the Original Chessboard
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/25 08:34:03
FCF

The big chess board was definitely the oddest thing I saw on my "Whistlin' Dixie" trip.
Unfortunately I'm too young to remember "The Prisoner" but I do remember Patrick McGoohan.
--
On an aside
I may throw in a couple of extras over the weekend, however the big awards (honorable mentions and top 10 new restaurants of 2012) are slated for next week.

I definitely want to get this done by February 1
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/25 13:17:55
wanderingjewUnfortunately I'm too young to remember "The Prisoner" ...

Who are you tryin' to kid?

Buddy
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/25 13:24:34
BuddyRoadhouse

wanderingjewUnfortunately I'm too young to remember "The Prisoner" ...

Who are you tryin' to kid?

Buddy

According to wikipedia the series ended in 1968 which would have made me 3 years old. Believe it or not I'm going to 48 in March, most people think I'm much younger because of my "baby face"
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/25 18:46:46
I just figured someone as smart and handsome as you are had to be my contemporary.

Buddy
agnesrob
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/25 19:06:20
WJ, so love your reports and "The Best Of's" Always hate when I have to wait for next year's edition!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/26 11:15:41
Cool Atmosphere, Neon Etc

Besides regional food one of things I enjoy when visiting a roadfood restaurant is a unique cool atmosphere...
This is probably one of the reasons why I tend to stay away from generic greasy spoons/carts/food trucks...

Enrico Biscotti Pittsburgh PA

The Colonnade Restaurant Atlanta GA

Southern Pit BBQ Griffin GA

Ye Old Colonial Restaurant Madison GA

Fat Matt's Rib Shack Atlanta GA

The Varsity Atlanta GA

Spiced Right BBQ - Roswell GA

Texas Cafe- Hutto TX

Smitty's Market Lockhart TX

Texas Chili Parlor Austin TX

Luther's Cafe San Antonio TX

Justin's Ice Cream Company San Antonio TX

Mi Tierra San Antonio TX

La Tolteca Restaurant and Market  Phoenix AZ

Rosita's Place Phoenix AZ

Taqueria Pico De Gallo Tucson AZ

Theresa's Mosaic Cafe Tucson AZ

Tacos De Juarez Phoenix AZ

Loveless Cafe Nashville TN

Elliston Place Soda Shop Nashville TN

The Beacon Light Tea Room Bon Aqua TN

Neal's Cafe Springdale AR

Catfish Hole Alma AR

Ajax Diner Oxford MS

Taylor Grocery Taylor MS

Crechales Cafe Jackson MS

The Dinner Bell McComb MS

Weidmann's Meridian MS

Tujague's Restaurant New Orleans LA

Napoleon House New Orleans LA
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 17:31:23
Well, I was already to post my honorable mentions and somehow everything got deleted.... I included captions, but I'll probably try tomorrow without them...and maybe add them on when I find some time...

guess I'll just BUMP this anyway, hey....why not...?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 18:38:21
Honorable Mentions of 2012 (new restaurants)
(in no particular order)
(captions to follow)

1. Enrico Biscotti Pittsburgh PA

Most us agreed that Enrico Biscotti was the best restaurant (besides Josza Corner) during our get together in Pittsburgh this past June...Offering interesting lunch options such as the ham, mozzarella, shroom and greens sangawheech, the margherita pizza and capricossa.  The special that weekend was wild salmon imported from the pacific northwest.  However my favorite part of the meal were the mini italian pastries and cookies.......

2. Bon Ton Cafe New Orleans LA

There are very few restaurants in New Orleans that serve bad food (although a few like the Gumbo Shop do) The Bon Ton Cafe is no exeption. From the gumbo to the crispy hand breaded onion rings,  there was nothing that fell short of my expectations. The waitress was nice enough to let me order a half plate of shrimp etoufee and a half plate of crawfish etoufee. And the bread pudding doused with rum left me completely intoxicated..

3. El Guero Canelo Tucson AZ

My expectations were low, walking into El Guero Canelo, I'm usually very skeptical when trying regional variations of burgers and hot dogs. Although the horchata was just way...way....too overly sweet for my palate, consider me a diehard fan of the Sonoran Dog....Having tried  it for the first time it won me over

4. Catfish Hole Alma AR

Finding Catfish Hole on line, I was wondering if it would live up to the positive reviews it got. My concerns quickly subsided as soon as I arrived to find a big crowd (on a Tuesday evening no less) Nothing fell short during this meal and the fact that they had pickle relish confirmed my suspicions that this place is the real deal. From the oniony hushpuppies to the crispy clean tasting catfish and the hand cut fries Catfish Hole is everything a catfish house is meant to be...The only disappointing part of the meal was the very pedestrian fried pie for dessert.

5. Southside Market Elgin TX

It's no wonder that Texas BBQ is my favorite style of Q. The fact that whole chili peppers were available at Southside Market made the place even more special....Stay tuned, this isn't the first Texas Q joint that will receive accoladades on my year end list.

6. Nana's Soul Fod Kitchen Charlotte NC

Now that the Coffee Cup is long gone, I'm torn between Nana's and La'Wans  as my new favorite soul food restaurant in Charlotte. Sure the corn bread is better at Nana's and perhaps the veggie's may have a slight edge, however the fried chicken at La'Wan's is second to none and the atmosphere can't be beat , although the banana pudding at Nana's leaves something to be desired, I'm glad that both Nana's and La'Wans are around.

7.  Tujague's New Orleans LA

If there is one last appropriate dinner in New Orleans, I vote for Tujague's.  This multi course meal didn't disappoint. The Shrimp remoulade, gumbo and brisket with creole sauce tickled the senses. The crispy, garlicky Chicken Bon Femme was completely orgasmic. Unfortunately the very ho-hum bread pudding was anti climactic.

8 . Mi Nidito Tucson AZ

I knew I was in for something good when I approached Mi Nidito before they opened their doors and there was already a line to get in....This is where you will find classic Sonoran Arizona Mex cuisine...

9. Matthew's Cafeteria Tucker GA

A classic southern cafeteria... I was so impressed with Matthew's Cafeteria that I ended up visiting two days in  a row. Although the pork chops and fried chicken were fine, the veggies are the classic textbook definitiion of what southern veggies should be. They were outstanding. Oh and the banana pudding and peach cobbler were the best of the trip.     

10. Long Creek Fish Fry Dallas NC

Considering just about all restaurants in rural Charlotte are closed on Sundays, forced me to do some research. 
I came across this oasis in a sea of closed restaurants in the Gastonia area. Long Creek Fish fry. It's no wonder this place has been around for over 60 years. Despite the "assembly line cole slaw' the super corny hushpuppies, crispy fried catfish and hand cut fries were some of the best I had...Oh and the portions were so huge I took half of it back to my friend's place for dinner the next day.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/28 21:36:05
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 20:43:58
Great lists. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 20:59:00
Thanks Texascajun

On an aside....Captions have been updated.....
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 22:55:42
a-ha!

you DID eat a pizza
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/28 23:09:34
Tujague's brisket. Love that stuff.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/29 13:42:51
kaszeta

I don't know when I'll ever find myself in New Orleans again, but I would certainly return to Tujague's again for that fine brisket in creole sauce.

TJ

Oh, I had plenty of pizza (and apizza) this year, all local (RI-CT-MA) so that cancels out eligibilty for the best of list. I also had pizza at one of my favorite pizza joints on Long Island at Station Pizza in Setauket, but since they made the honorable mention list back in 2009, that cancels out eligiblity again until 2013.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/29 13:53:49
If some excellent places like Southside Market, Mi Nidito, Bon Ton Cafe and El Guero Canelo (a personal favorite of mine) could only make it to your honorable mentions list, then you have an incredibly strong Top 10.  Can't wait to see it!

And I had forgotten what a great meal we had at Enrico Biscotti.  Thanks for the reminder.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/29 15:16:02
Buffetbuster

Just to give you an idea- 2 restaurants on the top 10 are  in Mississippi.
I'll post the finale on Thursday...
--
on an aside...Billyboy was nice enough to send me some photos from Wo Hop in NYC since I didn't have any photos to post. I'll probably post those tonight.
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/29 20:01:41
wanderingjew
kaszeta

I don't know when I'll ever find myself in New Orleans again, but I would certainly return to Tujague's again for that fine brisket in creole sauce.

Several of my favorite food pics are from there:

agnesrob
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 08:16:13
I'm always amazed at the wide variety of restaurant interiors and signage! Beautiful pictures. Great report as always WJ!l
brisketboy
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 08:54:44
I wish you would get around to Aunt B's southern cooking all you can eat in Kingsland Ga.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 09:10:53
agnesrob

Thoughout the years I've been amazed at the wide variety of interiors. It seems lately
many folks on the forum restrict roadfood style restaurants to the typical generic greasy spoon or diner.  For example Weidman's in Meridian which used to be listed in the pre website roadfood books, is a classic regional restaurant with a roadfood atmosphere.

brisketboy.

As you can see, I'm not exactly  a "big guy" and I try to avoid "all you can eat" restaurants for the most part. Many times I can barely finish whats on my plate.
Besides I don't even know where Kingsland is.

Unfortunately it appears my trips are going to be less frequent, it appears day to day expenses will prevent me from traveling as much in the near and far future so there are many places I would like to get to visit but won't be able to.
mhill95
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 11:38:09
Aunt B's in Kingsland, Georgia is about 45 minutes North of
Jacksonville, Florida on I-95 . Its worth a stop just for the
veggies (lots of them)......the fried chicken and peach cobbler aren't bad either.
mike
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 12:33:12
I've seen favorable reviews on Aunt B's on the web. Perhaps if we ever decide on Northern Florida as a destination for President's Day Glee Club weekend, then checking the place out along the way would be ideal.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 09:21:46
I will conclude my end of year report with the Grand Finale this evening.

On an aside, in order to put a couple of vacation days aside, I will not be going to Oklahoma this summer, just New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle (Amarillo)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 11:01:48
wanderingjew
TJ

Oh, I had plenty of pizza (and apizza) this year, all local (RI-CT-MA) so that cancels out eligibilty for the best of list. I also had pizza at one of my favorite pizza joints on Long Island at Station Pizza in Setauket, but since they made the honorable mention list back in 2009, that cancels out eligiblity again until 2013.

Could you please provide a list of the rules regarding how often a restaurant can appear on one's best of list? I get confused.

Also, do you tabulate the votes yourself, or do you outsource the work to an accounting firm. I hear Price Waterhouse does a bang-up job on these things.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 11:13:06
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew
TJ

Could you please provide a list of the rules regarding how often a restaurant can appear on one's best of list? I get confused.

Also, do you tabulate the votes yourself, or do you outsource the work to an accounting firm. I hear Price Waterhouse does a bang-up job on these things.

Actually, I think Buffetbuster's list is more complicated. Top 10 Burgers? I don't even think I had 10 burgers this year- even locally...

In a nutshell I think my list might get boring if the Second Avenue Deli appeared year after year after...
So once a restaurant becomes a standby it can only make an appearance every 3 years...(Hey I make the rules)

Its a non local list- so rule out CT/RI/MA,

If I Included local restaurants my list would be full of obscure Steak Houses, Indian, Thai and Ethiopian restaurants that no one has heard of...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/31 11:23:27
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 18:31:25
Here it is- The Grand Finale

Top 10 New Restaurants of 2012
(in order)

10. Pico De Gallo Tucson AZ

These beefy carne asada tacos are probably some of the best I ever enjoyed. Although I was disappointed that they were out of their coctel de elote, I did finish my meal off with their refreshing namesake dessert, perfect for a blistering hot day in the desert southwest.

9. Taqueria La Huasteca San Antonio TX

After being told by several locals to avoid the "gringos only" Taco Taco, I was directed here to Taqueria La Huasteca, and boy, I can tell you I have no regrets. My introduction to San Antonio Puffy Tacos was a top 10 hit. I ordered two Beef Barbacoa Puffy Tacos.  T- and these were warm puffy  delights of  smoked/shredded beef goodness. I squirted both red and green on these bad boys . I quickly fell in love.  

8. Chris Madrid's San Antonio TX

Like hotdogs, I'm always skeptical of regional variations of burgers, the   Bean Burger is no exception.
When my meal arrived I could only look in amazement. This was truly one helluva superb burger. I ordered the "macho" size of course. For those who don't know what a bean burger is, it's a San Antonio Specialty loaded with cheese that envelops refried beans and tortilla chips hidden underneath. The salsa which you get at the salsa bar was the missing link to this gut busting burger. 

7.  Weidmann's Meridian MS

Found in earlier  Roadfood books, Weidmann's is under new ownership and has received many rave reviews. How can you not like a place that offers ceramic pots of peanut butter with crackers for starters?
The Fried Green Tomato appetizer served with comeback dressing offered a crunchy exterior and the interior was just bursting with flavor and the homemade comeback dressing had a serious kick- this would be my first of three opportunities to enjoy comeback dressing on this trip- andWeidmann's was by far the best.  
 The main meal was Redfish Hannah with a side of creole cabbage. The sauce that accompanied the Redfish  was creamy and spicy and loaded with shrimp and  mushroom and did not detract from the sweet flavor of the redfish. The creole cabbage was remiscent of  New Orleans.  Although dessert was the weak part of the meal, the signature black bottom pie Chocolate pie with  graham cracker crust dusted with cocoa was still solid.

6. Community BBQ Decatur GA

Community BBQ was one of the bbq joints in Atlanta that Heartbreak Soup led me to ....
This is now my official "go to" bbq joint in Atlanta. Starting out the meal with homemade creamy slaw and moving on to thick, smokey, flavorful brunswick stew, the pulled pork and rib sandwich . The bbq was smoked so well it really didn't need any sauce. This was the best meal of my Whistlin' Dixie trip.

5. Miss Myra's Pit BBQ Vestavia Hills AL

In suburban Birmingham, when I approached the parking lot which was permeated by the sweet scent of smoke, I knew i was in for something special
Miss Myra's specializes in Northern 'Bama white sauce Q. The chicken was outstanding. Smoke permeating the taut skin into the tender meat. The white sauce had a vingegary- mayo flavor and paired well with the bbq.    Even the deviled eggs and the beans were really good- These weren't bbq beans- these were mildly sweet, almost reminscent of Boston baked beans.
The nanner pudding was orgasmically amazing. 

4. Ramon's  Clarksdale MS

Ramon's an Italian restaurant in the Mississippi Delta is just as much ethnic as it is Southern.
Beginning with some extraordinary crispy, handbreaded onion rings, I moved on to some of the biggest and best fried shrimp I've ever enjoyed. So good that I nearly forgot the side of spaghetti in garlic butter sauce, but considering how amazing the shrimp was, it was worth ditching the spaghetti.

3.   J Mueller's BBQ Austin TX

Who could think that such good things can come from a trailer with a smoker?. For starters, the sides at most Texas BBQ joints are really an after thought. At the fore front the smokey sausage, luscious fatty brisket and a tender beef rib is what defines Texas BBQ lore...

2. Casamentos New Orleans LA

Although I only took a photo of the freshly shucked oysters that  was waiting to be served, this gumbo was pure perfection . The oyster loaf,  dressed with lettuce and tomato, adding just a touch of hot sauce put this sandwich right over the top- probably one of my favorite stops in New Orleans. 

1. Smitty's Market Lockhart TX

Smoked Meat.....Nuff said.....................
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/31 19:16:12
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 19:25:53
A fantastic top ten; thanks for sharing.

The Miss Myra's banana pudding looks great. Was it made with the typical ingredients, or was there something different in it that made it stand out? It looks like there's chunks of bread in it, but not sure.

In the second Miss Myra's pic, it looks like the guy sitting beyond the sauce bottle is giving us the bird, but maybe he's on a phone or is propping his head up.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 20:13:57
Gorgeous pictures!  I like how you tied many of the varied places together by showing a bottle of their sauce(s).
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 20:57:56
WJ
I had forgotten your early start to the Glee Club Mtg last year with your trip up through MS.  I agree with you and BB about MS.  It is a GREAT food state.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 21:48:39
The Travelin Man

One of the rules is - thou shalt not eat pizza no matter how good it is while in Atlanta
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/01/31 22:20:33
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 23:32:41
Nice to see the write-up on Casamentos. I stumbled upon it on my way back from houston last year and also had a memorable oysterloaf.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 08:53:15
Certainly can't argue with your choices WJ!  Well done!  Isn't it wonderful the way the chili powder brings out the flavor of the fruit of the pico de gallo?
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 12:14:56
Somewhat surprised that in 2012 I went to four of your "Top 10 New Restaurants" list (all in TX).  One of these days our paths will cross.

BelleReve
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 12:57:30
wonderful trip report and pictures - those oysters on the half shell look like still life, you should enlarge the photo and frame it to hang in your kitchen. 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 19:10:21
Wonderful report and excellent photos. The year end summaries are excellent as always.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 19:19:20
quijote

It does look that way, but I'm almost positive that guy was on his phone..... Traditionally, vanilla wafers are used in the banan pudding, however it did taste more like cake..

will_work_4_bbq

You're right, I have taken quite a few photos of squirt bottles this year....I didn't realize how many until you mentioned that.

buffetbuster

At first I was hesitant to ruin good fruit with chili powder, but when in Tucson.... and the  spice and fruit did mingle beautifully together...

kaszeta

did you make it to Taqueria La Huasteca?

BelleReve

funny you should mention that. Food network magazine contacted me and offered to pay me to publish my photo (I accepted of course) however it wasn't that photo, it was the photo of the oyster loaf.

agnesrob
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 20:17:57
Photos and report wonderful, as always Dale! Thanks so much for your efforts!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 20:43:58
wanderingjew
kaszeta

Yes.  I was craving an aqua fresca and a fruit cup.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 09:52:35
kaszeta

wanderingjew
kaszeta

Yes.  I was craving an aqua fresca and a fruit cup.

Now I'm very impressed, I was under the impression that Taqeruia La Huasteca was one of those secret hidden places that very few people know about.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 10:19:19
WOW! 

This is your "best ever"; thank you so very much for adding a bunch of places to my "Roadfood bucket list".

(You have a far happier life than Eugene Sue's character)!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 14:22:17
The Plastic Squeeze Bottle Trade Association says kudos.   I second your impressive, exhaustive and excellent report.
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/06 13:25:07
Davydd

I second your impressive, exhaustive and excellent report.
What he said - you had a very good 2012, WJ!  You picked out some excellent versions of a lot of my favorite foods.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/06 15:59:48
An amazing finish, for sure. I'm now trying to figure out how to change my drive back from the Glee Club meeting in Mobile to L.A. to include Smitty's Market and Weidmann's.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3