Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7923
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 09:10:53 (permalink)
agnesrob

Thoughout the years I've been amazed at the wide variety of interiors. It seems lately
many folks on the forum restrict roadfood style restaurants to the typical generic greasy spoon or diner.  For example Weidman's in Meridian which used to be listed in the pre website roadfood books, is a classic regional restaurant with a roadfood atmosphere.

brisketboy.

As you can see, I'm not exactly  a "big guy" and I try to avoid "all you can eat" restaurants for the most part. Many times I can barely finish whats on my plate.
Besides I don't even know where Kingsland is.

Unfortunately it appears my trips are going to be less frequent, it appears day to day expenses will prevent me from traveling as much in the near and far future so there are many places I would like to get to visit but won't be able to.
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 11:38:09 (permalink)
Aunt B's in Kingsland, Georgia is about 45 minutes North of
Jacksonville, Florida on I-95 . Its worth a stop just for the
veggies (lots of them)......the fried chicken and peach cobbler aren't bad either.
mike
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/30 12:33:12 (permalink)
I've seen favorable reviews on Aunt B's on the web. Perhaps if we ever decide on Northern Florida as a destination for President's Day Glee Club weekend, then checking the place out along the way would be ideal.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 09:21:46 (permalink)
I will conclude my end of year report with the Grand Finale this evening.

On an aside, in order to put a couple of vacation days aside, I will not be going to Oklahoma this summer, just New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle (Amarillo)
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3760
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 11:01:48 (permalink)
wanderingjew
TJ

Oh, I had plenty of pizza (and apizza) this year, all local (RI-CT-MA) so that cancels out eligibilty for the best of list. I also had pizza at one of my favorite pizza joints on Long Island at Station Pizza in Setauket, but since they made the honorable mention list back in 2009, that cancels out eligiblity again until 2013.

Could you please provide a list of the rules regarding how often a restaurant can appear on one's best of list? I get confused.

Also, do you tabulate the votes yourself, or do you outsource the work to an accounting firm. I hear Price Waterhouse does a bang-up job on these things.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 11:13:06 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew
TJ

Oh, I had plenty of pizza (and apizza) this year, all local (RI-CT-MA) so that cancels out eligibilty for the best of list. I also had pizza at one of my favorite pizza joints on Long Island at Station Pizza in Setauket, but since they made the honorable mention list back in 2009, that cancels out eligiblity again until 2013.

Could you please provide a list of the rules regarding how often a restaurant can appear on one's best of list? I get confused.

Also, do you tabulate the votes yourself, or do you outsource the work to an accounting firm. I hear Price Waterhouse does a bang-up job on these things.

Actually, I think Buffetbuster's list is more complicated. Top 10 Burgers? I don't even think I had 10 burgers this year- even locally...

In a nutshell I think my list might get boring if the Second Avenue Deli appeared year after year after...
So once a restaurant becomes a standby it can only make an appearance every 3 years...(Hey I make the rules)

Its a non local list- so rule out CT/RI/MA,

If I Included local restaurants my list would be full of obscure Steak Houses, Indian, Thai and Ethiopian restaurants that no one has heard of...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/31 11:23:27
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 18:31:25 (permalink)
Here it is- The Grand Finale

Top 10 New Restaurants of 2012
(in order)

10. Pico De Gallo Tucson AZ

These beefy carne asada tacos are probably some of the best I ever enjoyed. Although I was disappointed that they were out of their coctel de elote, I did finish my meal off with their refreshing namesake dessert, perfect for a blistering hot day in the desert southwest.

9. Taqueria La Huasteca San Antonio TX

After being told by several locals to avoid the "gringos only" Taco Taco, I was directed here to Taqueria La Huasteca, and boy, I can tell you I have no regrets. My introduction to San Antonio Puffy Tacos was a top 10 hit. I ordered two Beef Barbacoa Puffy Tacos.  T- and these were warm puffy  delights of  smoked/shredded beef goodness. I squirted both red and green on these bad boys . I quickly fell in love.  

8. Chris Madrid's San Antonio TX

Like hotdogs, I'm always skeptical of regional variations of burgers, the   Bean Burger is no exception.
When my meal arrived I could only look in amazement. This was truly one helluva superb burger. I ordered the "macho" size of course. For those who don't know what a bean burger is, it's a San Antonio Specialty loaded with cheese that envelops refried beans and tortilla chips hidden underneath. The salsa which you get at the salsa bar was the missing link to this gut busting burger. 

7.  Weidmann's Meridian MS

Found in earlier  Roadfood books, Weidmann's is under new ownership and has received many rave reviews. How can you not like a place that offers ceramic pots of peanut butter with crackers for starters?
The Fried Green Tomato appetizer served with comeback dressing offered a crunchy exterior and the interior was just bursting with flavor and the homemade comeback dressing had a serious kick- this would be my first of three opportunities to enjoy comeback dressing on this trip- andWeidmann's was by far the best.  
 The main meal was Redfish Hannah with a side of creole cabbage. The sauce that accompanied the Redfish  was creamy and spicy and loaded with shrimp and  mushroom and did not detract from the sweet flavor of the redfish. The creole cabbage was remiscent of  New Orleans.  Although dessert was the weak part of the meal, the signature black bottom pie Chocolate pie with  graham cracker crust dusted with cocoa was still solid.

6. Community BBQ Decatur GA

Community BBQ was one of the bbq joints in Atlanta that Heartbreak Soup led me to ....
This is now my official "go to" bbq joint in Atlanta. Starting out the meal with homemade creamy slaw and moving on to thick, smokey, flavorful brunswick stew, the pulled pork and rib sandwich . The bbq was smoked so well it really didn't need any sauce. This was the best meal of my Whistlin' Dixie trip.

5. Miss Myra's Pit BBQ Vestavia Hills AL

In suburban Birmingham, when I approached the parking lot which was permeated by the sweet scent of smoke, I knew i was in for something special
Miss Myra's specializes in Northern 'Bama white sauce Q. The chicken was outstanding. Smoke permeating the taut skin into the tender meat. The white sauce had a vingegary- mayo flavor and paired well with the bbq.    Even the deviled eggs and the beans were really good- These weren't bbq beans- these were mildly sweet, almost reminscent of Boston baked beans.
The nanner pudding was orgasmically amazing. 

4. Ramon's  Clarksdale MS

Ramon's an Italian restaurant in the Mississippi Delta is just as much ethnic as it is Southern.
Beginning with some extraordinary crispy, handbreaded onion rings, I moved on to some of the biggest and best fried shrimp I've ever enjoyed. So good that I nearly forgot the side of spaghetti in garlic butter sauce, but considering how amazing the shrimp was, it was worth ditching the spaghetti.

3.   J Mueller's BBQ Austin TX

Who could think that such good things can come from a trailer with a smoker?. For starters, the sides at most Texas BBQ joints are really an after thought. At the fore front the smokey sausage, luscious fatty brisket and a tender beef rib is what defines Texas BBQ lore...

2. Casamentos New Orleans LA

Although I only took a photo of the freshly shucked oysters that  was waiting to be served, this gumbo was pure perfection . The oyster loaf,  dressed with lettuce and tomato, adding just a touch of hot sauce put this sandwich right over the top- probably one of my favorite stops in New Orleans. 

1. Smitty's Market Lockhart TX

Smoked Meat.....Nuff said.....................
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/01/31 19:16:12
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 649
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 19:25:53 (permalink)
A fantastic top ten; thanks for sharing.

The Miss Myra's banana pudding looks great. Was it made with the typical ingredients, or was there something different in it that made it stand out? It looks like there's chunks of bread in it, but not sure.

In the second Miss Myra's pic, it looks like the guy sitting beyond the sauce bottle is giving us the bird, but maybe he's on a phone or is propping his head up.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 20:13:57 (permalink)
Gorgeous pictures!  I like how you tied many of the varied places together by showing a bottle of their sauce(s).
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6477
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 20:57:56 (permalink)
WJ
I had forgotten your early start to the Glee Club Mtg last year with your trip up through MS.  I agree with you and BB about MS.  It is a GREAT food state.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 21:48:39 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

One of the rules is - thou shalt not eat pizza no matter how good it is while in Atlanta
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/01/31 22:20:33
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1745
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/01/31 23:32:41 (permalink)
Nice to see the write-up on Casamentos. I stumbled upon it on my way back from houston last year and also had a memorable oysterloaf.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10445
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 08:53:15 (permalink)
Certainly can't argue with your choices WJ!  Well done!  Isn't it wonderful the way the chili powder brings out the flavor of the fruit of the pico de gallo?
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 12:14:56 (permalink)
Somewhat surprised that in 2012 I went to four of your "Top 10 New Restaurants" list (all in TX).  One of these days our paths will cross.

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 12:57:30 (permalink)
wonderful trip report and pictures - those oysters on the half shell look like still life, you should enlarge the photo and frame it to hang in your kitchen. 
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 19:10:21 (permalink)
Wonderful report and excellent photos. The year end summaries are excellent as always.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 19:19:20 (permalink)
quijote

It does look that way, but I'm almost positive that guy was on his phone..... Traditionally, vanilla wafers are used in the banan pudding, however it did taste more like cake..

will_work_4_bbq

You're right, I have taken quite a few photos of squirt bottles this year....I didn't realize how many until you mentioned that.

buffetbuster

At first I was hesitant to ruin good fruit with chili powder, but when in Tucson.... and the  spice and fruit did mingle beautifully together...

kaszeta

did you make it to Taqueria La Huasteca?

BelleReve

funny you should mention that. Food network magazine contacted me and offered to pay me to publish my photo (I accepted of course) however it wasn't that photo, it was the photo of the oyster loaf.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 20:17:57 (permalink)
Photos and report wonderful, as always Dale! Thanks so much for your efforts!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/01 20:43:58 (permalink)
wanderingjew
kaszeta

Yes.  I was craving an aqua fresca and a fruit cup.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 09:52:35 (permalink)
kaszeta

wanderingjew
kaszeta

Yes.  I was craving an aqua fresca and a fruit cup.

Now I'm very impressed, I was under the impression that Taqeruia La Huasteca was one of those secret hidden places that very few people know about.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4238
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 10:19:19 (permalink)
WOW! 

This is your "best ever"; thank you so very much for adding a bunch of places to my "Roadfood bucket list".

(You have a far happier life than Eugene Sue's character)!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6399
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/02 14:22:17 (permalink)
The Plastic Squeeze Bottle Trade Association says kudos.   I second your impressive, exhaustive and excellent report.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5168
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/06 13:25:07 (permalink)
Davydd

I second your impressive, exhaustive and excellent report.
What he said - you had a very good 2012, WJ!  You picked out some excellent versions of a lot of my favorite foods.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4094
Re:Roadfood Rapture- The Best of 2012 2013/02/06 15:59:48 (permalink)
An amazing finish, for sure. I'm now trying to figure out how to change my drive back from the Glee Club meeting in Mobile to L.A. to include Smitty's Market and Weidmann's.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1