The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Building another truck

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 72
chasendad

• Total Posts: 95
Building another truck Mon, 12/17/12 9:10 AM (permalink)
Well last year I bought an old AA cater truck and did a complete refurb on it and used it 3 times, then a couple guys came up and asked if I wanted to sell it and how much. The profit on it was really good so it was gone. So now I've decided to build another one but this time start with a blank canvas. I've been searching within a 500 mile radius and couldn't find a decent truck til last week I came across a 98Grumman olson van with a 15 1/2 ft box in really good shape.. The mileage is higher than i wanted but these thing are few and far between. I bought it and drove it 65 mph the 165 miles home and got over 10 miles per gallon, so I'd have to say it runs good..
My 1st day was spent cleaning and getting everything out from the uniform truck era. Power washed the interior and started on the roadside interior wall. Got the wind knocked out of my sail this morning when i found out I can't get the window /door  til late January as Challenger closes next week for 2 weeks.. Oh well I'll find something else to do to in till then..

fourtopper

• Total Posts: 2
    Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/17/12 10:37 AM (permalink)
    Looks awesome! I can't wait to see the progress. What are you looking to sell out of your food truck?

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/17/12 4:04 PM (permalink)
      Our last truck we sold Philly Cheesesteak and other family favorites..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Wed, 12/19/12 3:37 PM (permalink)
        Haven't done any work on the truck this week, but
        1.ordered the vent a hood ordered from a local sheet metal shop(1 week),
        2. got the stainless for the wall behind the cooking equipment
        3. got the white aluminum I plan o using for the ceiling and rest of the walls.
        4. Going to order the window/door from Challenger tomorrow when they send me the paperwork to verify all sizing and configuration(5 weeks due to holiday closing).
        5. Ordered a couple parts for the truck itself(jump seat, window cranks, bulkhead door parts).
        6. ordered sinks
        7. My wife is at the local equipment supplier right now negotiating pricing.. They are way higher than i can buy online with free shipping so she went to work on that today.
        Still nailing down which equipment I want.. Thinking about a 24" oven/range vs 2- burner range top..
        I've attached the layouts..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Wed, 12/19/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
          I have a plan for this weekend, work on it at least 2 day maybe 3 and some Christmas afternooon
          goal for the weekend.
          1. build compartment for propane bottles as well as outside doorto acess bottles
          2. installed aluminum on ceiling
          3. install stainless on wall(just 2 sheets should go quick)
          4. install rest of alum on roadside wall.
          5. cut window/door opening so I can start of curb side finish out.
          6. install a couple 4' light fixtures so I can work at night..
          I'd like to do more but I will keep it simple on my wish list..
          I already have the grey water and fresh water tanks so I could mount those also..

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
            Re:Building another truck Wed, 12/19/12 4:50 PM (permalink)
            No steam table?

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Wed, 12/19/12 6:20 PM (permalink)
              NO, we never used the last 2 we had... usually we cook to order or at big event we would pre cook and then cool it down and put in the prep station and just heat per order. While cooking Philly Cheese steak we found that the steam table would degrade the meat and vegetables if it set in there to long.. We can always get a countertop one if we decide we need it..

Curb Hopper

• Total Posts: 86
                Re:Building another truck Wed, 12/19/12 7:58 PM (permalink)
                Your sink looks like the size I'm looking for. Would you mind giving the purchasing and model details? Do you have a completion date for the outfit?

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sat, 12/22/12 8:03 AM (permalink)
                  curb--

16 Gauge Regency Three Compartment Stainless Steel Commercial Sink without Drainboards - 36" Long, 12" x 21" x 14" Compartments from Webstruant.com
                  4-6 weeks --i hope

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
                    Re:Building another truck Sat, 12/22/12 12:59 PM (permalink)

Is the gas tank filler under a floor panel behind the passenger seat?  Wondering if you plan on changing it?  That is how 79 is setup.
                    <message edited by BelCibo on Wed, 01/2/13 7:09 PM>

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 12:03 AM (permalink)
                      no mine is in the middle of the floor at the back..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 12:03 AM (permalink)
                        no mine is in the middle of the floor at the back..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 12:08 AM (permalink)
                          complete1. build compartment for propane bottles as well as outside doorto acess bottles
                          complete2. installed aluminum on ceiling
                          complete3. install stainless on wall(just 2 sheets should go quick)
                          complete4. install rest of alum on roadside wall.
                          1st day of work went well as I got 4 things of 6 I wanted to do this weekend..
                          just neet to bend some aluminum and put trim at the bottom of the fllor and wall on roadside..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 12:10 AM (permalink)
                            The prpane storage compartment. The boss wants a piece of new diamond plate on the floor to make it look new..
                            <message edited by chasendad on Mon, 02/4/13 2:26 PM>

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 12:13 AM (permalink)
                              My help holding up one of the ceiling piese so I could screw it up.. All thr panel on wall and roof over lap each othe, 1/4" on the ceiling panels and 1" on wall panels

reese77

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 6:07 PM (permalink)
                                Nice work, where is the generator going?

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Sun, 12/23/12 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm going to build and rack that slides into the back to hold the generator..

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2010
                                    Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/24/12 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                     Is that 40lb lp tanks shown in the pic?       This came up in another thread, from your layout above you have:

36” flat top    84000 btu
                                    12” –2 burner    54000 btu
                                    40 lb Fryer      90000 btu

Total         228000 btu      +/-

Assuming you do not use more than 50% at any one time LP required would be about 114,000 btu.   … Two 40’s (vapor tanks) manifold together will supply about 60,000 btu (40 deg F) to 80,000 btu (60 deg F).

Just guessing and working numbers  … Looks like you need to set a manifold pressure to abt 11 or 12 wc; then set a low pressure regulator at each piece.    Flat top 65% (6.5 wc); 2 burner range 50% ( 5 wc); and fryer 75% or 80% (7.5 –8 wc)   … This will be about:

36” flat top    54000 btu      …..    1 burner @ 100% & 1 burner @ 50% => 27000 btu
                                    12” –2 burner    27000 btu  …..    1 burner @ 100%   => 13000 btu
                                    40 lb Fryer      68000 btu    …..      (80k –27k-13k)      => 40000 btu   (abt  59% on)

Total         149000 btu      +/-       …..    total  => 80,000 btu  ????
                                    The low pressure regulators can then be adjusted to find the setting that works best with all the equipment & tanks.

I believe two 100 lb tanks would be better for your setup.

Also, I don’t see any air vents in the LP compartment.   You need this for safety and the airflow is what heats the tanks to make vapor.   Without the vent, the tanks will cool the compartment and slow down vapor production.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

<message edited by edwmax on Mon, 12/24/12 11:17 AM>

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/24/12 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                      edwmax, thanks for the LP info. I was going to ask about propane regulators tonight..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/24/12 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                        Well had another good day working on the truck. Got the window rough opening cut.
                                        got the bulkhead wall put in on the curbside.
                                        Got all the aluminum put on the walls.  Just need to cut 100' of aluminum strips and bend to trim out the floor and ceiling..

reese77

Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/24/12 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                          Nice work. I assume that you are surface mounting your electrical, is that required in your area?

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Tue, 12/25/12 8:41 AM (permalink)
                                            It's not required but a lot easier for me. It will have 6 electrical plugs lights and exhaust fans.

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Thu, 12/27/12 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                              Got the sink delivered today and ready to install sunday, cut and bent 100' of aluminum strips for trim out.
                                              Plan to work Sunday -Tuesday and get the trim done, sinks installed and plumbed and start the electrical.

BelCibo

• Total Posts: 155
                                                Re:Building another truck Fri, 12/28/12 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                                What is the "white" aluminum you are using?  I've heard a couple mentions of it on this forum but not sure exactly what is is, alloy, thickness etc.  Build is looking good, Thanks

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Fri, 12/28/12 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  The white is .040 thik and alot light than stainless steel.. I buy it as sign material in 4x8, 4x10 or 5x10 sheets.
                                                  I think it will be easier to clen and make the truck brighter inside than stainless or mill finish aluminum.. You can also get it from places that build Racecars.. I get it for $65-80.00 per sheet depending on sheet size..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Mon, 12/31/12 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    Got to work in a rain and cold today, Got the sinks set in place and Hot water heater mounted, Plumber is supposed to do the plumbing on wednesday.
                                                    Got the breaker box installed as well boxes and conduit installed and  wire pulled.
                                                    Plan for tomorrow is to finish electrical except for exhaust fans which I cant install until I get the hood in(hopefullt it will be ready this week)
                                                    Heres a couple pictures of rough electrical..

chasendad

Re:Building another truck Tue, 01/1/13 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                                      Got all the electrical in today except for the shore cord(forgot to buy material)
                                                      got the outside lights installed, built s fram to bolt the grey water tank to but had no abs cement to put the fitting in thr tank or it would be installed.. here a couple more pices of the build, outside light, tand frame and completed electrical..

chasendad

• Location: Burleson, TX
                                                        Re:Building another truck Wed, 01/2/13 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                                        Plumber showed up to only 30 minutes late (lol) , I didn;t figure him to even show up since he was working for free...The restrauant supply showed up with the equipment this morning also and even uncrated the stuff and hauled off the boxes..
                                                        Ventahood is supposed to be ready late friday, Hopefully as its what I need to install next..

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                                          • Location: Springfield, IL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Building another truck Thu, 01/3/13 8:17 AM (permalink)
                                                          Rick,
                                                          A couple of questions:
                                                          Why did you decide to overlap your wall coverings instead of butting them together?
                                                          Is that a Shurflo demand pump? If so what model did you use?
                                                          Why the faucet under the sink? To drain the lines? Or to fill the tank?
                                                          I assume it never freezes (in Texas) where you live?
                                                          thanks
                                                          Jack

chasendad

• Joined: 12/10/2011
                                                            • Location: Burleson, TX
                                                            Re:Building another truck Thu, 01/3/13 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                                            Why did you decide to overlap your wall coverings instead of butting them together?
                                                            I figured they would lay together better overlapped than butted and they did.

Is that a Shurflo demand pump? If so what model did you use?
                                                            Yes,  115volt   model 2088-492-444
                                                            Yes it i Why the faucet under the sink? To drain the lines? Or to fill the tank?
                                                            The city of Dallas requires you to have a hose to wash out the inside of the truck so I had them put the hose bib in.

I assume it never freezes (in Texas) where you live? 
                                                            lol... it only got to 40 yesterday... yes it freezes.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 72

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com