Fried Clams

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Author
nyclthrm8
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Fried Clams 2004/08/31 21:25:05 (permalink)
does anyone know ANYwhere within a hour or so of NYC for good whole belly fried clams? legal seafoods, the chain, does serve them, and they're decent and will satisfy a craving when i'm not up for the ride to connecticut (sea swirl in mystic are tough to beat, tho admittedly i've never been to clam box or woodmans or any of those...). keep thinking there must be a little place on Long island or even the boroughs by the water that i dont know about. thanks!
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Fried Clams 2004/09/02 15:07:01 (permalink)
NYC - Try Bigelow's on Sunrise Highway in Rockville Center. I always thought it was terrific, but it's been years since I've been there. - Rusty
karmon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/02 18:16:55 (permalink)
For the best whole belly fried clams in CT, if not New England.........The GLENWOOD Drive-In, Hamden, CT cannot be beat, and definitely Ipswich are the best for frying.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/03 10:10:02 (permalink)
just got back from a trip home to New England--ate as many fried clams as i could get--but the BEST were home cooked---my cousin is a liscenced clammer and lobsterman and brought a large cooler full of three lb lobsters and a bushel of fresh clams---dug that day!!---we shucked half and made up some home fried clams---done with peanut oil and the clambox recipe that i posted here---they were awesome!!!

BTW-----shucked clams for frying are wholesaleing for $122 a gallon!
karmon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/04 20:53:31 (permalink)
Ain't that the TRUTH!!!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/04 21:37:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

just got back from a trip home to New England--ate as many fried clams as i could get--but the BEST were home cooked---my cousin is a liscenced clammer and lobsterman and brought a large cooler full of three lb lobsters and a bushel of fresh clams---dug that day!!---we shucked half and made up some home fried clams---done with peanut oil and the clambox recipe that i posted here---they were awesome!!!

BTW-----shucked clams for frying are wholesaleing for $122 a gallon!

You know, when you stop to think about it, a gallon of shucked clams is a lot of clams and probably should cost a lot of clams.

Cakes (not to be confused with clams)
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2042
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/05 13:40:26 (permalink)
I saw the comment that Woodman's fries in lard. I don't know if they do, but great clams do NOT need lard. Ronnies in Auburn Mass uses TRI FRY, or so they advertise, to make a clam that stands up against the best. Scales in Millbury, Ma does not use lard, and most people who know about them agree that Scales has the best clams anywhere. The best thing about Scales (hard to find the first time, but very close to Rt 146)is that they are open all year, so you can get great fried clams in January. No credit cards.
jordan12
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Fried Clams 2004/10/15 23:00:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

I saw the comment that Woodman's fries in lard.

Go to the "No Name" in Boston. Full belly clams fried in oil that get's changed ( have spoken with owner) and the tarter sauce is the best with lots of pickle in it, less mayo. Slaw is great too. Seafood chowder is the way I like it. Thin milky broth. Others don't like so much

J
AHR
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/11 00:43:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rustywolf

NYC - Try Bigelow's on Sunrise Highway in Rockville Center. I always thought it was terrific, but it's been years since I've been there. - Rusty

Still good as of a year or so ago.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1455
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/11 12:21:56 (permalink)
Trivia tease...Name this tune:
"Ethel? you wanna eat some clams? (Johnson Howard, Johnson Howard, Johnson Howard)
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/11 22:28:51 (permalink)
I was in way downeast Maine this past summer and there was red tide - no clams!!

I go up once a year and decide in advance to focus on either clams or lobster. This year was going to be a clam year (fried, steamers, doesn't matter). So I got a lobster instead - the smallest one they had was a 3-pounder - and it about did me in. Rather overwhelming, I'm ashamed to say...
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 08:17:36 (permalink)
122.00 for a gallon of CLAMS?Thats a lot of clams to shuck out for some clams!Think I will have to make a run up there.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 12:08:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jellybear

122.00 for a gallon of CLAMS?Thats a lot of clams to shuck out for some clams!Think I will have to make a run up there.

and they have NO problem selling all the clam rolls they can cook no matter what they have to charge for them--there are many thousands of folks that get to pop those succulent deep fried beasties in their mouths for just TWO WEEKS a year!! vacation time--and they really dont care what it costs---if you've got them---they will eat them! I know that i have had clam rolls ro $1.99---LONG ago--to 4.99 to 7.99 and this last trip i saw them at 9.99---i went with ones that my cousin cooked for free and the ones at my uncles tavern that they reserved for me!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18949
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 12:33:49 (permalink)
Are you trying to tell me that clam rolls don't cost 75-cents these days? Next, you'll probably say the same thing about lobster rolls.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 13:51:01 (permalink)
originally from Maine,I am not a new Englander,nor are any of my fellow Mainers. Southern Maine folks are 'down easteners' and northern folks are Maineiacs......a small point food-wise,but we must strive for accuracy in all things here. One thing seems consistant though, we all love clams with bellies and that is a good thing.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 14:40:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Are you trying to tell me that clam rolls don't cost 75-cents these days? Next, you'll probably say the same thing about lobster rolls.

imagines---2 bucks for a lobster roll--its outrageous!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 14:41:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

originally from Maine,I am not a new Englander,nor are any of my fellow Mainers. Southern Maine folks are 'down easteners' and northern folks are Maineiacs......a small point food-wise,but we must strive for accuracy in all things here. One thing seems consistant though, we all love clams with bellies and that is a good thing.

and Mainiac or Down Easter--your both "Yankees"!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 14:44:42 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I certainly think so. Why, when I was a young man I'd order two lobster rolls, half a dozen hotdogs, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell (13, actually) and a pineapple drink or birch beer and still get change from a five dollar bill.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 15:59:41 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I certainly think so. Why, when I was a young man I'd order two lobster rolls, half a dozen hotdogs, an order of fried clams, a dozen clams on the half shell (13, actually) and a pineapple drink or birch beer and still get change from a five dollar bill.

and how long at your pay rate then--did you have to work to make that 5 dollar bill---and did that include a tip I know that what my old man paid me for an hour as an electricians helper in 1964 could buy me a large pizza-drinks-and a banana split next door. BTW that was $5.75/hr.
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/12 16:34:22 (permalink)
TIKI,thanks for clearing up who won the civil for for me....by the way,you wrote 'your',which is the possessive of 'you',what you should have written is 'you're',which is the contraction of 'you are'. Forgive me for showing off the benefit of a good 'yankee' education. Best wishes.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/13 09:20:51 (permalink)
I must have missed something here,What is a Clam roll?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/13 09:59:53 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

and how long at your pay rate then--did you have to work to make that 5 dollar bill---and did that include a tip I know that what my old man paid me for an hour as an electricians helper in 1964 could buy me a large pizza-drinks-and a banana split next door. BTW that was $5.75/hr.

It took me about a minute and a half to make it back then. Money came fast when you were running bets. Tip? No tip. It was at a place called Jimmy's and you just walked up to the window and ordered.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/13 10:06:20 (permalink)
JellyBear,
A Clam Roll is a New England regional speciality... Take a N E style hot dog roll (top-sliced) toast/grill it and stuff it with as many fried clams as you can fit in and over it. Howard Johnson's used a 3 oz portion for the filling....but those were the Clam Strips not Whole-Belly clams.
These are not the buttery, falling apart as you eat it rolls, like the Lobster rolls at Abbott's or in Maine, but rather a crunchy delicious treat.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/13 10:51:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

TIKI,thanks for clearing up who won the civil for for me....by the way,you wrote 'your',which is the possessive of 'you',what you should have written is 'you're',which is the contraction of 'you are'. Forgive me for showing off the benefit of a good 'yankee' education. Best wishes.

Actually-i am also a Yankee---Millis Ma.---but i was refering not the the "late unpleasantness"--but to "Yankee Magazine-NE country lifestyle.
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/21 16:10:08 (permalink)
Ok - it appears that there is a "sin" attached to eating the clams without the bellies. I've only had "whole" clams once - at a "New England"-style restaurant in South Carolina. Though the bellies weren't offensive - still seemed a little creepy. What exactly is "the belly" (if there is a more technical answer than just, well, the belly)? Did I get bad bellies and I missed out of a magical taste? Or is it simply a matter of tradition, for which, of course, there is nothing wrong. I love plain old clam strips and miss the ones at HoJo's. (That should put me in good standing with die hard New Englanders)

Someone please "learn" me the joys of the belly.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/21 16:45:07 (permalink)
CarolinaBill--i think that to truly "learn" you about the joy of clams with bellies means a trip to New England for FRESH clams!--the fresher the better----and yep bellies are just that--bellies. But you know--there is no sin in eating what you LIKE!--so if you find that clams strips are for you---by all means--go for it---besides---means more of the others for me! I think the bellies add a true taste of the sea--and a much fuller flavor then strips--cruchy AND creamy and salty all at once---and a true clam roll--served on a toasted "top split" bun!!!! with fresh clams is really best enjoyed while sitting on the coast in the sun! Its an experiance that--like finding a great bbq spot down south-that probably involves a sence of "Place" as much as "taste", if you know what i mean. I really dont think i could order a clam roll out of New England and expect it to be trully great---i also dont expect good brisket or pulled pork in Boston!!!---but i hear that is changing now that so many folks from the northeast have been turned on to bbq and have finally realized that "Grilled" doesNOT mean "bbqed"!!!!!
Chip12414
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/22 00:00:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

For me a fried clam will always be the memory of Howard Johnson's Fried Tendersweet Clam Roll. Boy those were great.

The Kingston Family Diner in Kingston, NY (a former Ho-Jo's on Route 28 just past the traffic circle by Thruway Exit 19) offers what the manager insists are the original Tendersweet™ Fried Clams. And, in fact, they certainly do look like the originals...tentacle-like strips with crinkled (wrinkled) breading and very light brown in color after frying.

Do they taste as good as years ago? Well, pretty close.

A still operating Howard Johnsons in Lake George, NY, http://www.menumart.com/howardjohnsons/ advertises:

Tendersweet™ Fried Clams --

Our famous clam strips freshly breaded in our special mix
and fried golden brown $8.25

OK.......who wants to car pool and take a trip up there?
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/25 11:32:34 (permalink)
Count me in on the road trip, Chip! But how far north do I have to come to hook up with everyone else?

I remember as a kid that the idea of going to Hojo's usually did not elicit a positive reaction. Who would have thought that 30+ years later that I would be truly wishing for one? Think my closest one is either in Delaware or an obscure location in Key Largo, FL.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/25 12:07:48 (permalink)
Clam strips? Why bother?
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
RE: Fried Clams 2005/01/25 13:34:37 (permalink)

I think I've been to all of the clam shacks mentioned in this thread at least once except the 2 in Auburn, which is fairly close to where I live, so I'll try them. Clams at the No-Name are as good as anywhere else; the boats they come in on are parked right outside so very fresh, and they are open all year. I think they tend to be less expensive than some of the places located on the Capes (Cod, Ann). A few additional places to try: Village Restaurant in Essex, down the street from Woodmans is very good and has a little more ambiance, if you care. Farnum's also in Essex, can be reached by boat and is excellent. West of Boston, C & L Frosty in Sherborn (where I live) has been highly rated for fried clams, but is also seasonal. In MA. at least, whole belly clams are assumed; clam strips are not a viable substitute, although they can be pretty good in their own category.
db
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1