Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012)
I miss Roscoe's. In 2007-08, one of my major clients was at Edwards AFB, and we'd have to frequently travel out there for testing.
Usually the procedure was:
1. Evening flight from BOS->LAS
2. Drive to Palmdale, sleep until early morning, often catching dinner in LA (Pink's was a frequent destination)
3. Breakfast at the now-defunct Pines Cafe in Palmdale (best Chicken fried steak I've had outside the South)
4. Drive to Edwards. Test until 4pm or so.
5. Drive back to LA. Celebrate a successful day of testing with chicken and waffles at Roscoe's.
6. Catch red-eye back to Boston.
Did this at least a dozen times. After a while, testing got more complicated and shifted to a 6pm finish, which made the Red-eye too hard to catch, so then the routine ended with
5. Drive to El Segundo, get a hotel room for the night
6. Dinner in Manhattan Beach
8. Breakfast at Uncle Bill's Pancake House in Manhattan Beach
9. Catch a morning flight back.