Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Year in Roadfood (2012)

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 211 to 240 of 271
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 01/30/13 3:20 PM (permalink)
Sorry to hear you've been feeling lousy. I'm over my cold and cough and Lisa's battling hers.

FYI: There are a couple of schools named for Clemente in my home town of New Haven, and at least one statue of him there, also.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/31/13 7:42 AM (permalink)
    I meant to post this yesterday.  Here is the obituary for Les Banos which tells more details about his amazing life.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/31/13 9:11 AM (permalink)
      buffetbuster

There was one other superstar ballplayer of the era that Les had nothing good to say about, but I don't think it is appropriate for me to name that person here.
      I think it's pretty obvious that the player was Bob Uecker.
      <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Thu, 01/31/13 9:12 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/31/13 9:26 AM (permalink)
        SC-
        How could anyone say bad things about the great Mr Baseball!

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/31/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
          I'm sure he has the same initials as Mickey Mouse...

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
            Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Thu, 01/31/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
            That was a great day. 

And, just so you can all comprehend just how great a day it was....I had completely forgotten that we went to Tessaro's before the museum.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Fri, 02/1/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
              Wow! The visit to the Clemente museum and the opportunity to spend time with Mr. Banos are such such wonderful experiences. i envy you so  much. this has been one of the best threads you have ever created and I keep wondering what else awaits us.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 02/2/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
                mr chips-
                Being the baseball fan and history fan that you are, no doubt you would have really enjoyed the Clemente Musuem and the stories from Mr. Banos as much as we did.  If you ever make it back to Pittsburgh, I would love to take you there.

TTM-
                You forgot about Tessaro's?  Now that is really saying something!

Wintahaba-
                Good guess, but you would be Mostly Mistaken! 

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 02/2/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                  One final link about Les Banos.....

He plays a minor in this excellent article about the mystery surrounding the bat Roberto got his 3,000th hit.  They do claim to have it at the Clemente Museum, but then so does the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 02/2/13 2:17 PM (permalink)
                    I missed the Clemente Museum. Did get to the Andy Warhol Museum. :)

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 398
                      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Sat, 02/2/13 8:09 PM (permalink)
                      buffetbuster

One final link about Les Banos.....

He plays a minor in this excellent article about the mystery surrounding the bat Roberto got his 3,000th hit.  They do claim to have it at the Clemente Museum, but then so does the Baseball Hall of Fame.

These Les Banos and Roberto Clemente stories are some of the most awesome reading ever!  Thank you for posting them.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 8:16 AM (permalink)
                        will_work_4_bbq-
                        Thanks so much for the reply and I am so glad that you enjoyed it.  I found it really interesting that so many different people think they had the bat in question.  It should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Between the Los Angeles thread and this one, I have been working on a trip report for two months and feeling a little burned out.  So, a couple of sections that were planned are getting cut.  It will be put to bed this week or bust!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 11:26 AM (permalink)
                          A collection of some of my favorite memories from 2012: 

* It is easy to complain when you get TravelinManned or have other bad luck, but there are certainly times when the Roadfood Gods are smiling upon you.  And these need to be acknowledged, also. 

Henry's in West Jefferson, OH is one of America's premier pie palaces, that is unfortunately closed on Sundays.  But, you never know when a restaurant changes their hours.  So, I called on a Sunday morning driving back from Indy to surprisingly find them open.  I was told on the phone that we aren't normally open on Sundays, but they are today.  And not only were they open, they had the full repertiore of pies available, too! 

Woo-Hoo!!!   BTW, it was explained to me (over the two slices of pie I ate there, plus three more bagged to go) that Henry's opens on Sundays before major holidays and that happened to be the weekend before Easter.  That little nugget of information has been stored away for future use!

Also, a visit to Wagon Wheel Restaurant in Fort Lawn, SC was also on a Sunday.  Although I knew they would be open, what was unexpected was that it was buffet day, which meant all the fried squash you can eat, plus it is the only day they offer their excellent, vanilla-wafer heavy, banana pudding.

* During a visit to Chef's Dog House in Newington, CT, we sat down next to these charming two ladies,

who had never seen anyone taking photos of their food before.  Once we explained why, along with the fact that we were in Connecticut for a bus tour of the local restaurants, they went from thinking we were crazy to getting so enthusiastic they wanted to join us on the road!

* The offficial greeter and house mascot of Bogus Creek Cafe in Stockholm, WI is Bogus. 

He is a rescue dog, who is seen resting after his recent procedure, which was necessitated by his amorous adventures.  He did still have enough energy to share my bacon with me.

* In previous trips to The Varsity in Atlanta, the people who waited on me ran the gamut of indifference to downright surly.  This year, I was finally greeted with the famed "What'll you have, what'll you have" by this young lady

with the great smile.  Apparently, the secret to good service at The Varsity is to take wanderingjew with you.

* My mother loves German food, but she is also a picky eater.  This made me a little nervous about our lunch at a place I found and reviewed near Harrisburg called Josie's.  Not only did she like it,

she called it the best meal she has had in years!  Taking her to someplace she really likes is no small accomplishment.  And who doesn't like to make their mom happy?

* One of the most fun weekends we had all year was spent in Fort Wayne, IN.  No, that is not a typo.  It happened to be right before Halloween and the city went all out.  There were hundreds of people walking around downtown all dressed as zombies, which was truly an eerie sight.  And then, we watched the great 1920 silent film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in the atmospheric, old Embassy Theater. 

There was even a organist to accompany the film.  Mariton and I both agreed that this made for the best Halloween we have ever had.

* Meeting Rory Lee Feek (seen here with ChiTownDiner

of the country music duo Joey + Rory at their restaurant, Marcy Jo's Mealhouse, just south of Nashville.  Not only was the food wonderful, but CTD also bought a music CD and their song Cheater,Cheater become the unofficial anthem for the rest of our time in Tennessee.

* People in restaurants like to give you things, especially when you have a camera and show enthusiasm for their food.  The manager of Ted's outside of Buffalo came over to say hello and ended up giving me a hat. 

When another customer at Zach's Hot Dogs in North Carolina heard that I was from out-of-town, he sent over a cheese dog

for me to try.  He told me, with much gusto, that he eats "four of five at a time!"  And during a visit to El Guero Canelo in Tucson, one of the employees sent a Sonoran Dog

over to Mariton, although that probably had very little to do with me or my camera!

* The nice people at Tastease Donuts in Hartford also gave me a donut, but I had to earn it, since I was able to help them with a couple of answers in the crossword puzzle they were working on.

* Cypress Grill is a wooden shack next to the river that specializes in river herring.  Because of that, they are only open during herring season, which is January though April.  On three previous visits to Cypress Grill, they couldn't sell the herring due to under population.  This year, I finally got to try this Eastern North Carolina specialty. 

Not the most delicious meal of the year, but at least I could knock it off my Roadfood bucket list!

* I am not someone who intimidates easily, but George Archibald, Jr. of Archibald's Bar-B-Q made me a little nervous.  I decided to sit inside the cramped quarters of the bbq parlor at one of the stools of the counter.  When I took a couple of photos of my pork bbq sandwich, Mr. Archibald (just a few feet away from me) said it a firm voice, "Sir.....  go ahead", while motioning to my food.  In other words, quit screwing around and eat already!  As it turns out, Mr. Archibald was a really nice guy and loved talking football, especially his Crimson Tide.  When I tried to steer the conversation to bbq, he quickly brought it right back to football!

* Meeting Sonya Hong

of Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood is a special experience.  Witty and warm, she makes you feel like you are a close friend instead of a customer making their first visit.  She even puts personalized messages

on your paper plate along with the burger.   
                          <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 02/4/13 6:15 PM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                            Rory and those overalls for breakfast...love that breakfast!  Thanks for recalling it for me! 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 12:10 PM (permalink)
                              buffetbuster

Between the Los Angeles thread and this one, I have been working on a trip report for two months and feeling a little burned out.  So, a couple of sections that were planned are getting cut.  It will be put to bed this week or bust!
                              I'm just hoping you get it wrapped up before you start your 2013 report...

Don't leave anything out!  It's been great so far and if it takes a little longer it's worth it!

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks SC!  What is scary is that Glee Club is right around the corner!  That may take me into 2014!

CTD- 
                                So glad you bought that CD.  You may have to bring it to Mobile.
                                <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 02/4/13 1:11 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                  * During a weekend in New York City, we spent an afternoon visiting some of the cool and unusual Roadfood places that have been reviewed by billyboy. 

First up was the Doughnut Plant, which carries some of the biggest, most delicious doughnuts anywhere. 

Among the unusual flavors we tried and loved were the matcha green tea and peanut butter filled with blackberry jam.  These were outstanding!

Economy Candy makes you feel like you are 10 years old again.  The variety here is astonishing

and it would take hours at least to tryuly look through everything.  If they don't have it, it isn't available!  I loaded up on a few favorites that are tough to find at home, especially bottle caps.  And I also learned that Bosco made candy bars.

Another big hit with our group was sugar Sweet sunshine, a cupcake shop with such cool sounding flavors as Hollaback Girl, which is a banana cupcake with cream cheese frosting. 

Very simple and very good! 

Both Cousin Johnny and I are big fans of rice pudding, so Rice to Riches is right up our alley.  Along with Mariton, the three of us splits bowls of excellent rum raisin and gingerbread rice puddings. 

Adding to our affection for this place is some of the goofiest signage

we have seen.

If one restaurant can sell just rice pudding, why not have another that just sells macaroni and cheese named S'Mac?  Somehow we failed to try the six variety sampler, but still loved everything we tried, especially the La Mancha

featuring manchego cheese, plus fresh fennel and onions.

Cousin Johnny and I visited Peanut Butter & Co. on a previous visit to New York, but Mariton was skeptical about a peanut butter themed restaurant, so we had to go.  Highlights included the Elvis sandwich

and a sampler plate

where you get to try all their different peanut butters at once.

A big thanks to billyboy for finding these unique "only in New York" places and reviewing them for us.  Oh, and we did run into billyboy while out sightseeing, but since he was working,

we didn't want to bother him! 
                                  <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 02/4/13 2:13 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                    Keep going..........you have plenty of time until Mobile!!

kaszeta

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                      I love Rice to Riches. Going to Lombardi's and then following with a trip across the street for rice pudding has become one of my NYC routines.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                        lleechef-
                                        There isn't that much time, considering some shopping needs done.  Mariton saw me in my Hawaiian shirt and insists I have to go out and get a new one!

kaszeta-
                                        Of those mentioned above, Rice to Riches was clearly my favorite.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
                                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Mon, 02/4/13 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                          bb
                                          What the hell were you doing prancing around Mars in a Hawaiian shirt in the middle of winter??? 

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                            lleechef-
                                            I don't think it is even physically possible for a guy my size to prance, regardless of the weather.  I tried on the Hawaiian shirt and it is now tight on me.  Obviously, it shrunk since the last time I wore it!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                              Hmmm... A prancing competition at the Brick Pit would be a fine social activity...Kind of like a round of "Musical Chairs", only we won't use any chairs !!!  So bring your Prancing shoes, BB !

will_work_4_bbq

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                                mayor al

Hmmm... A prancing competition at the Brick Pit would be a fine social activity...Kind of like a round of "Musical Chairs", only we won't use any chairs !!!  So bring your Prancing shoes, BB !

This trip gets better and better!

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                                  Just so you know, with my hip replacement surgery coming up shortly after Mobile I've been barred from prancing. I'll let lleechef take my place.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                                    Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    Hoffman!!   Since it's going to be replaced anyway,  go ahead and wear it out!!!

will_work_4_bbq

• Location: Birmingham, AL
                                                      Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 9:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      Poverty Pete

Hoffman!!   Since it's going to be replaced anyway,  go ahead and wear it out!!!

I agree.  Give them even MORE reason to replace it.

Michael Hoffman

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 10:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        I have enough trouble right now just walking. It's been worn out for a long time, and it has finally worn me out. That's why I'm having a new one plugged in. Coming Soon To A Theater Near You:

The Six Hundred Dollar Man

Texascajun

• Total Posts: 115
                                                          • Location: Lone Star, TX
                                                          Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Tue, 02/5/13 10:56 PM (permalink)
                                                          Great report BB. I can see the resemblance of your mother and you, good looking lady. Nothing like making your Mom happy.

buffetbuster

Re:My Year in Roadfood (2012) Wed, 02/6/13 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                                            My top ten restaurants is comprised of places that I visited for the first time in 2012.

Top Ten Roadfood Restaurants

10) El Campeon - San Juan Capistrano, CA

Located just a few blocks away from the famous Mission in San Juan Capistrano, the food here makes understand why the swallows return every year.  We tried seemingly half the menu, including tacos, a torta, carnitas combination plate and menudo and everything was very good.   But the items we enjoyed the most was the agua frescas, especially the fresh watermelon.  Almost no English is spoken here, but we never felt out of place.

9) Jocko's Steakhouse - Nipomo, CA

Jocko's is a small town steakhouse in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.  It is also a great place to get a great Santa Maria Barbecue meal, which includes a steak (that's a 20 oz. filet in the photo), salsa, garlic bread, relish tray, salad and pinquito beans.  The big surprise was the dessert that came with the meal, excellent spumoni!  Jocko's is truly where the locals eat.

8) Modern Apizza (New Haven, CT)

Credit for Modern Apizza's appearance in this list goes to Amy Briesch of the ayersian duo.  I have never been much of a pizza fan, but while we were in Connecticut for the bus tour, a group of us drove down to New Haven on the Saturday night.  The chicken parmesan sub and pizzas with toppings like eggplant were good.  But, it was Amy's suggestion of sausage and cherry peppers that really grabbed me.  I don't ever remember craving pizza before, but this I occasionally crave.

7) Second Avenue Deli (New York, NY)

No less an authority than wanderingjew said that this is his favorite New York deli and it is easy to see why.  We were here in the morning, so Mariton and I enjoyed breakfasts including a pastrami omelet and cherry blintzes.  Johnny wanted lunch so we went with matzoh bowl soup and half of a corned beef sandwich.  And as mentioned before, the manager was killing us with his humor.  An all-around great experience!

6) Flip's - Wilmington, NC

This was another restaurant that we just ordered a bunch of items and with only one exception, everything was excellent.  We thoroughly enjoyed the chicken sandwich and the pork plate, but the almost black bologna sandiwch, topped with chili and cole slaw was a standout.  Side-wise, we loved trying the deep fried macaroni and cheese and deep fried cream corn and would order them again.  For dessert, one of the best banana puddings of the year.  The only misstep was the surprisingly bland brunswick stew.

5) Brophy Brothers - Santa Barbara, CA

Brophy Brothers had us won over before the food arrived.  Mariton was so enamored with the view of the ocean, marina and the mountains in the background that she couldn't be bothered looking at the menu,so I had to order for both of us.  Our meal started with warm, sour dough bread, which was the perfect way to mop up the leftover creamy clam chowder.  We also ate a plate filled with hot appetizers, such as steamed clams, steamed mussels, baked clams, oysters rockefeller and beer-boiled shrimp.  Everything was fresh and delicious.  Finally a wonderful shrimp and avocado salad.  We bought thought this was the best meal we ate during our California vacation.

4) Meers Store - Meers, OK

The Meers Store is one of the best known restaurants in the entire state and people drive from far away to eat here.  Of course they would have to, because it is in the middle of nowhere.  A rickety old building with atmosphere to spare, Johnny and I split the huge MeersCheeseburger, which comes served in a tin pan.  The deep fried pickles, known as frickles was the best side I ate all year.  The desserts, a cherry cobbler and a banana pudding were not only really good, but they were of epic porportions!

3) El Torero - Tucson, AZ

Honestly, the top three were so good, any one of them could have been number one.  At El Torero, we enjoyed such classic Tucson dishes as cheese crisp and green corn tamale, plus some items that were new to me such as albondigas (meatball) soup and turkey in an incredible mole sauce.  Very little English is spoken at El Torero, but we were made to feel welcome, especially by our waitress who went by the nickname of "Shorty".  One of my favorite moments came while we were eating the chips and salsa that they brought to the table when we first sat down.  Frustrated that it wasn't hot enough, Mariton, who can eat hotter foods than anyone I have ever seen, asked for the hot stuff.  They hesistated and looked at each other, before bringing out a bowl of salsa that was much darker red.  They watched in amazement as Mariton easily dispatched that salsa, too!

2) Babushka's Kitchen - Northfield Center, OH

With the possible exception of Thai, there is no food I enjoy more than Eastern European.  So, Babushka's Kitchen was right up my alley.  There was a group of five of us, including Ralph and Lori Melton and BuddyRoadhouse, so we were able to order plenty of food for sampling.  Among the highlights was the plate of pierogies, with several different varieties, such as potato, sauerkraut and the unusual mushroom swiss.  The Hunter's Feast, which was a sampler platter was another big hit with the group, but the it was the dish known as The Warsaw that I couldn't get enough of.  This is slow roasted pork, sandwiched by homemade potato pancakes, plus grilled onions, sour cream and sauerkraut, along with a side of haluski.  This was an incredible dish!  Having the company of my Roadfood friends only added to my enjoyment.

1) El Farolito - El Reno, NM

The food at El Farolito would make it a contender for the top spot alone.  Since I could not decide between the red or the green chile, I ordered a dish that starred each one.  The red chile on the chile relleno was thin, seriously hot and incredibly flavorful.  Still, the stuffed sopaipilla with the green chile was even better.  To drink, a Mexican hot chocolate.  El Farolito is located in a sleepy little village and you drive through some beautiful country to get there.  The building itself is small and the inside seats are picnic tables.  The walls are decorated with green chile awards and colorful murals.  I can't imagine going back to New Mexico without a return trip to this Roadfood gem.

Honorable Mention:
                                                            1) White River Fish Market - Tulsa, OK
                                                            2) Hank's Hamburgers - Tulsa, OK
                                                            3) Mario's Latin Cafe - Homestead, FL
                                                            4) Poe Boy Luncheon - Nashville, TN
                                                            5) Sweet Georgia Brown - Dallas, TX      
                                                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 02/6/13 3:03 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 211 to 240 of 271

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com