Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes

Hamburger
2012/12/28 13:50:50
Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 

Makes 6 cups, 12 servings - On table in 15-minutes 

Copy Cat Recipe. I wanted a quick recipe to copy the sweet corn cakes that are served at Mexican restaurants like El Torito and Chi Chi's. This is ready to eat in about 15 minutes. If you don't have masa harina flour on hand, you can add an additional 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal, but the masa harina flour adds the authentic taste to this dish. If you've never had these at a Mexican restaurant, they are similar to a firm, sweet, grits or polenta, with a corn tortilla flavor. The corn tortilla flavor comes from the masa harina flour. For a less sweet dish, reduce granulated sugar to 1/3 cup. For a firmer sweet corn cake, microwave an addition al 3-minutes. 

Ingredients 

1 cup yellow cornmeal 
1/4 cup masa harina flour (or 3 corn tortillas, uncooked, - process in food processor to fine bits, use in place of masa harina)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or 1/3 cup for a less sweet corn cake)
1 tablespoon baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
2 cups milk 
1 cup water 
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn 
1 egg, beaten 
4 tablespoons butter, melted 

Directions 

Stir all dry ingredients together in mixing bowl, mix well and set aside until needed. 

Mix all wet ingredients together in another bowl. Stir until well mixed. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir out any dry lumps in batter. 

Pour into a 3-quart covered, microwaveable casserole dish. 

Cover and microwave on high for 6-minutes. 

Stir well. Stir bottom and sides of dish well to remove any dry lumps. 

Cover and microwave on high for another 6-minutes. 

Stir a few times and serve warm using an ice cream scoop or disher.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 2012/12/28 17:16:02
Thank you for the recipe.  I always enjoy that little scoop of corn stuff at El Torito.
Antilope
Hamburger
Re:Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 2012/12/28 17:44:38
I enjoy the El Torito corn cakes also, but I hated messing with water baths and all of the other complicated copycat recipes. This is real easy and tastes exactly like the original.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 2012/12/30 13:44:05
I've never been to a Chi-Chi's or El Torito. I think the closest place to those here would be Chevy's.

Are the corn cakes somewhat like the consistency of a tamale?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 2012/12/30 14:39:28
Sort of with a sweeter taste.  They're put on to the plate with a tiny ice cream type of scoop.

El Torito is extremely close to us and the view from the seating is out over the Marina.  It's not the best food, but it's consistant and easy.

Just wish the help wouldn't all stand in the corner talking to each other when those eating need attention.
Antilope
Hamburger
Re:Microwave Mexican Restaurant Sweet Corn Cakes 2012/12/30 14:45:38
It's like a thick grits/polenta or a spoon bread.