The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 5:46 PM (permalink)
Hello...

As a native of California we are very fond of Tri Tip roasts...

But folks back east don't know what these are (also known to some as Santa Maria cut)...

My question is for qualified BUTCHERS:  how would you describe and instruct a butcher "back east" on how to produce a Tri Tip (I think it's part of the loin?)...

Thanks...

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
    Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
    Not a butcher. but we call them Newport steaks around here. Just a portion of bottom sirloin.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
      Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 6:12 PM (permalink)
      It's still "Tri-Tip" here in Dallas. That is, when you can find it!

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
        Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 6:32 PM (permalink)
        Well, I see Tri-Tip Strips at Sam's Club, but never see roasts anywhere in this area. Guess you could just ask the butcher for a Tri-Tip Roast. They should know what you're talking about in most parts of the country.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1951
          Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 8:37 PM (permalink)
          This is where the tri tip comes from, you could also ask for a coulotte, very similar but not as much marbling.
          Most stores cutting top sirloin steaks are not going to break down all the muscles in the top butt, so you get it all.
          Some may sperate and sell as tri tips when they have others to sell.
          Sorry I'm not a qualified BUTCHER, but I have been cutting meat in restaurants for 30 yrs and I played on on tv once.
          <message edited by chefbuba on Thu, 01/31/13 8:43 PM>

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
            Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 01/31/13 9:22 PM (permalink)
            Names for meat cuts can vary a lot, its a real hassle sometimes.  Here's a set of breakdown videos with some good commentary on names, tri tip is in one of the six somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/u...headbeef?feature=watch

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
              Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 02/1/13 8:51 AM (permalink)
              Pancho

Not a butcher. but we call them Newport steaks around here. Just a portion of bottom sirloin.
              Pancho, have you found them anywhere around here?  Tri-tip is on my grilling to-do list but I've never seen them in the stores, although I've heard that Whole Foods might be a possibility and I haven't been there yet.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 02/1/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
                ScreamingChicken

Pancho

Pancho, have you found them anywhere around here?  Tri-tip is on my grilling to-do list but I've never seen them in the stores, although I've heard that Whole Foods might be a possibility and I haven't been there yet.
                Yes....Jim's out on Northport Dr. across from Warner Park.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                  Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 07/26/13 4:46 PM (permalink)
                  Never had a Tri Tip until a few months ago when visiting my brother in Santa Maria,CA. Very good when cooked on the Charcoal grill, a lot of Parks in the area have Santa Maria style grills.

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 160
                    Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 07/26/13 5:03 PM (permalink)
                    Its been 25 years since my butchering career morphed into sales. I have always been in the east and we were always told that the cut was soooo popular in California and there are only 2 per cow that the demand was just too much for it to go national.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                      Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 07/26/13 8:55 PM (permalink)
                      According to AmazingRibs.com, written by Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn (and how do you not trust a guy named "Meathead"?), "it is the tensor fasciae latae muscle from the bottom sirloin, and (can be ordered through your butcher as) number 185C in the NAMP book, the butcher's bible."

Just made one this evening all the way out here in Chicago.  The Tri-Tip was delivered via Roadfooder JRPfeff; cooked using Meathead's method:
                      http://www.amazingribs.co...ia_tri-tip_steaks.html

Other than misjudging the quirks of my own grill, it worked perfectly.  Those quirks produced a medium-medium well steak instead of the desired medium rare, but still incredibly juicy, tender, and flavorful.  I have one more Tri-Tip to cook and I'll make the necessary adjustments to achieve the medium rare I'm after.

Buddy

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                        Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Fri, 07/26/13 11:43 PM (permalink)
                        I found tri-tip here in Florida at Publix a few month ago. I did not buy it as I seem to have a propensity of late of not cooking things well and had never cooked it before.

kaszeta

Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Sat, 07/27/13 12:09 AM (permalink)
                          You never see it around here, but our local butcher was more than happier to look up it up (NAMP 185D) and cut them for us when he broke down primal cuts.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
                            Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Sat, 07/27/13 2:41 AM (permalink)
                            FREE Meat Buyers Guide

http://www.chefs-resources.com/files/Meat-Buyers-Guide-PDF/IMPS%20Beef%20Guide.pdf

Just saw some for sale at Fry's (Kroger) here in Gilbert. $8.99 #

<message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 07/27/13 5:12 PM>

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1493
                              Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Sat, 07/27/13 9:43 AM (permalink)
                              While not commonly available in PA, I have found at least one butcher that offers it.....sporadicaly

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Mon, 07/29/13 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                Tri-tip is something I saw frequently on the west coast,  It's a rare day I see it now.  Which is too bad, it's a favorite roast of mine.  Give it a good itallian herb run, slow grill or roast, let it set up in the fridge and it's my go-to deli beef for sammiches of all kinds.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Mon, 07/29/13 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                  WarToad

Tri-tip is something I saw frequently on the west coast,  It's a rare day I see it now.  Which is too bad, it's a favorite roast of mine.  Give it a good itallian herb run, slow grill or roast, let it set up in the fridge and it's my go-to deli beef for sammiches of all kinds.

You know an Italian guy named Herb?? Why'd you make him run? 

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                    Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Tue, 07/30/13 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                    Spelnig ib bery harg.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Tue, 07/30/13 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                      Know ets Knot!

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                                        Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Tue, 07/30/13 6:40 PM (permalink)
                                        BackRhodes

Hello...

As a native of California we are very fond of Tri Tip roasts...

But folks back east don't know what these are (also known to some as Santa Maria cut)...

My question is for qualified BUTCHERS:  how would you describe and instruct a butcher "back east" on how to produce a Tri Tip (I think it's part of the loin?)...

Thanks...

This is a lot like the My favorite hot dog lies (in no particular order) thread by John Fox. He thinks people in the south don't know what good hotdogs are.
                                        If you don't know what Tri Tip is that's OK. We, in Charlotte, NC , know what Tri Tip is and it is readily available here. I can drive 2 miles south and buy a good Tri Tip or drive 9 miles north to a gas station/convenience store/butcher shop and buy a beautiful Tri Tip.

beckysuea

• Total Posts: 4
                                          Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Mon, 08/5/13 4:42 AM (permalink)
                                          They have tri-tips at Kroger at least in Fishers, IN.   If they don't have them that day, they will order them for you.

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                                            Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Wed, 10/23/13 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                            My local butcher/abbatoir, Green Village Packing in Green Village/Chatham, NJ, sells tri-tips.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                              • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Wed, 10/23/13 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                              I recently bought a couple of Meat-Cutting Guidebooks for Beef...to learn more about the various cuts as we get ready for our Bison hunt this winter. Both of them have info about the 'Tri-Tip' cut and how to do it.

Check on-line for u-tube and illustrations available there. Plenty of free intruction publications available thru places like the Purdue University Extension Service.
                                              <message edited by mayor al on Wed, 10/23/13 7:33 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                                Re:Question for BUTCHERS about Tri-Tip's Thu, 10/31/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                                For whatever reason, Tri Tips seem to take to marinade better than most cuts of beef.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com