Bagels

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/27 11:35:38
I don't know if my area excels in ANY round shaped bready products with holes in them!

Around here, we have a couple of bagel chains that are really mediocre, and we have donut chains that are OK, but predictable. Don't get me wrong, I love Krisy Kremes, but they are predictable. I would love to see an outstanding bagelry or donut shop open up; I think they'd do a great business. I, for one, am getting tired of all the chains here in Columbia!
Sasaku
Hamburger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 16:13:40
Brugger's bagels claims to have authentic NY style waterbagels. My favorite breakfast bagel is a cinnamon raisen bagel toasted off course with a garden veggie cream cheese bread on then sandwiched together. Good egg/lunch bagel sandwiches too.
Wingster
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 17:43:02
I myself love an herb cheese bagel with chive cream cheese, onions, tomato, and some lemon pepper on top. Scrumptious!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 18:10:02
quote:
Originally posted by Sasaku

Brugger's bagels claims to have authentic NY style waterbagels. My favorite breakfast bagel is a cinnamon raisen bagel toasted off course with a garden veggie cream cheese bread on then sandwiched together. Good egg/lunch bagel sandwiches too.

"Waterbagel" is a controversial term, you know. By definition, any bagel should be boiled before being baked and the term "waterbagel" apparently just implied that it contained little more than water, flour and yeast--no egg, in other words, which should also be true of any bagel not labeled an "egg bagel". So what really does "waterbagel" mean? The problem is complicated by the fact that I think I've read some of the bigger makers don't, in fact, boil their bagels. IMHO, this means what they are turning out aren't real bagels and may explain why they aren't very good. Bruggers may simply mean to imply that they do make theirs the traditional way. Or they may be trying to imply something special with a pretty meaningless term.
Sasaku
Hamburger
RE: Bagels 2004/08/28 19:17:28
I enjoy their bagels even if they may not be athentic, best place to get them in minnesota.
Danmel
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/09/03 21:50:39
We just got back fro Seattle and Vancouver, both home to some genuinely atrocius "bagels". In Seattle, we actually saw pepperoni and Asiago cheese bagels, which are simply an abomination.

Here on LI, the best local bagel place is House of Bagels, but their salads aren't great- it isn't a Jewish bagel shop so their appetizing leaves something to be desired. Bagel Boss has great appetizing, but their bagels are hard and overcooked- they need to be toasted, something that should not be necessary with a fresh bagel.

Of course, nothing is like the old days in Brooklyn, when Mr. Malinowski would come every Sunday morning, fresh from the bagel shop, with a big bag of hot bagels and bialys. He was a dear man, a family friend with a profoundly retarded son, who worked so incredibly hard to take care of his family. He baked a great bagel too.
flattop5
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 08:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by 10X10

Now, Now. Some of the best New Yorker's are former New Havener's and remember the old greats like Olmer's, M&T, Zackeys and Crown(new Haven not W. Hartford). But even the loyal have to admit that a good bagel can be found in NYC.

I feel sorry for those who never had a Lender's bagel when the Lenders made their own on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut. Then, of course, there were the bagels from Olmer's Bagel Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven. New York bagels, indeed.

[url='http://wcbs880.com/connnews/CT--Obit-Lender-mn/resources_news_html']Sam Lender, R.I.P.[/url]
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 08:24:24
I prefer bagels from a bagel shop, someone experienced in making real bagels, not something that just looks like a bagel.

carl reitz
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 16:37:27
In Manhattan, fortunately, we can always get good bagels. There is a small local place here called the Bagelry at 30th Street and 3rd Avenue that now produces probably the best bagel in NY. Esse- bagel is also great, but Bagelry is now the new champ- as far as I am concerned.

Now.. if there were more good Bialy's in the city, I would love it. Kossar's on Grand Street here in NY still makes a mean hot Bialy.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 17:24:39
quote:
Originally posted by Danmel

We just got back fro Seattle and Vancouver, both home to some genuinely atrocius "bagels". In Seattle, we actually saw pepperoni and Asiago cheese bagels, which are simply an abomination.

True, but try to find Outstanding Coffee, (and I don't mean Starbucks),refreshing craft microbrews, amazing alder smoked salmon, and Tantalizing Scones in Long Island...come on!!! I Dare Ya'!!
BaconBits
Hamburger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 17:53:26
What makes a NY Bagel/Bialy so awesome is the flouride in the water, no? That's what I've always heard.

I agree with Verysleepy - there is no better bialy than a Kossar Bialy. I go down to Russ & Daughters about one Sunday a month and buy a whole bunch of fishes to take to Jersey for my family - they also carry Kossar bialys there - a perfect Sunday brunch one-stop shop.

I guess a conversation for the another thread would be best smoked fishes (by the way - I do realize that the word 'fishes' is not grammatically correct - i use it colloquially - as does the rest of the NYC Jewish population). Hands down - Russ & Daughters on Houston.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2004/10/19 18:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by ejh1110

I guess a conversation for the another thread would be best smoked fishes (by the way - I do realize that the word 'fishes' is not grammatically correct - i use it colloquially - as does the rest of the NYC Jewish population). Hands down - Russ & Daughters on Houston.

Although smoked fish is fine and I definetely appreciate lox, novi and smoked sturgeon, as I indicated in my previous response, nothing, nothing, nothing compares to Seattle Style Alder Smoked White King Salmon.

11 years ago while living in Seattle, I returned to NY to attend my friend's wedding. I was staying with another friend's parents and as a token of thanks I brought back a pound of Smoked White King Salmon packed in ice. My friend's father, a typical NY Jewish Kvetcher not only ate up the whole thing (it was supposed to be for the entire family) but exclaimed that he never had smoked fish that tasted so good.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/20 10:13:32
its not just the water, but also the malt added to the water. Really two levels then of inspection. Do they boil the bagels? And if so do the add malt to the water?

Also malt syrup should be used instead of sugar in the dough.
Bender
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2004/10/23 18:01:54
I love my bagels with lots of cream cheese and freshly made bacon crumbled on top.
Jen_USMC
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2005/10/08 19:38:44

My all time favorite bagel is a Lender's onion w/ butter. Sometimes I like to switch it up & eat it with cream cheese. However I'm having a hard time finding them here in PA. And let me just say that the Thomas New York Style Onion Bagels don't do justice to the taste of a Lender's Onion Bagel. Does anyone know of a place in PA where I can get my Lender's Onion fix? Wal-Mart doesn't seem to have them. Thanks!

~* Jen *~
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2005/10/17 20:25:59
Generally, I don't eat bagels. However, back in elementary school, I did enjoy stopping by The Great Canadian Bagel for a plain, toasted bagel with butter. They're delicious. They also have great chocolate chip bagels.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 16:19:43
[quote
'Waterbagel' is a controversial term,

I hear a war in Hell's Kitchen is brewing over the Waterbagel.

I guess it's big. The Long Islanders have said they have the best waterbagel,

But the Manhanttan islanders say they have the best waterbagel " 'cuz long island sucks!"

And the New Joisey people are saying..."hey...wears the fight?...'cuz if they'res a fight, I'm their!........and what the fuggetaboutit is a wata' bagel?"

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 16:45:42
quote:
Originally posted by BT

"Waterbagel" is a controversial term, you know. By definition, any bagel should be boiled before being baked and the term "waterbagel" apparently just implied that it contained little more than water, flour and yeast--no egg, in other words, which should also be true of any bagel not labeled an "egg bagel". So what really does "waterbagel" mean? The problem is complicated by the fact that I think I've read some of the bigger makers don't, in fact, boil their bagels. IMHO, this means what they are turning out aren't real bagels and may explain why they aren't very good. Bruggers may simply mean to imply that they do make theirs the traditional way. Or they may be trying to imply something special with a pretty meaningless term.

Many of the bagel chains do not boil their product before baking.Prior to the advenbt of the popularity of bagels, all bagels were boiled firts, and they were never called waterbagels. The term came into use to differentiate real bagels from the imitations. It had, and has, nothing to do with water content.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 21:46:15
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BT

Prior to the advenbt of the popularity of bagels, all bagels were boiled firts,

What's a "boiled firts" are you insulting poor innocent defenseless little bagels, Mr Hoffman???" />
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bagels 2005/10/18 23:09:39
Sorry. Boiled first. I would never insult a bagel. I might insult a bialy, but never a bagel.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2005/10/19 09:41:12
"Hey bagel!...your mother was a pretzel!"

Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 11:09:43
I think the best bagels I have ever had came from the Bagel Bar in North Miami Beach. It has to be toasted with a slice of onion and lox.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 11:37:53
Bagels should be savory, not sweet. No cinnamon apple raisin, blueberry, apple nut crunch, etc. Chocolate chip? Gag. All these other flavors have their place, but as coffee cakes, not bagels.

plain, egg, poppy seed, onion, sesame, garlic. Easy on the cutesy cream cheeses, too.

I guess you could say I'm a boring purist. So be it.

tmiles
RE: Bagels 2005/10/27 13:52:24
So many bagel shops have closed around here, and many remaining stores get them shipped in stale. Dunkin Donuts makes a "bagel" from frozen that is actually better than a lot of places. My favorite local place is "Bagel Inn" in Holden Mass. They cook them right there behind a window "the same way it is done in New York". They have several branch locations, but so far as I know, the boiling/baking is all done in Holden. It is a sad state of affairs when frozen grocery store bagels are better than what is often found "fresh" at a store. Bagel Inn bucks that trend.
grampsof2
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/05/27 18:48:27
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Smith

Greetings to all!!
I've been lurking for a while and feel that it is time to jump in.
Isn't a toasted bagel the BEST!!!
Buttered or better yet my own homemade garlic cream cheese spread.(YUM!!)
Where do you find your favorites?
I know i'll be told that there are no bagels of worth outside of NYC but please humor me. (LOL)
The best I ever had were over 20 years ago when I worked near the U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor. There was a place just off campus. You could walk in and get the warmest, freshest, chewiest bagels. The garlic was great but the everything (all the seeds) was heaven!!! Now heres the problem....Does anyone know the name of the place?
The bagels around NE Indiana are ok. Not terrible but just ok.
Excuse me... I must leave now and find a toaster. I need a fix!!!!

grampsof2
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/05/27 19:19:09
Good evening to y'all on this Memorial Day weekend and MY birthday weekend. Sorry to disappoint everyone, however the best bagel is done the following way:
-everything bagel (if you need to ask what an everything bagel is, go to the next topic, (LOL)
-regular Phil cream cheese
-nova lox, the one without the salt
-slice of swiss cheese on each half
-oh, did I say a slice of vadalia onion
-slice of tomato
-put in microwave for 45-50 seconds
-enjoy with a great cup of Dunkin Donut coffee

phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/05/28 18:53:03
i dont know about having to be in new york for a great bagel, i grew up in skokie illinois and could pretty much walk to a great bagel anywhere like kaufmans or buddys, the north side of chicago is loaded with authentic bagel places
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2007/05/28 19:34:00
Although I haven't checked the last three pages, I'm sure I must have posted my 2 cents worth sometime ago regarding this topic.
However, to be current, I will offer my 2 cents worth-again. I was born and raised in the NYC area. Although I live in Dallas now, that doesn't mean I can't still have a decent bagel.
"Deli-News", where I brunch every Sunday for my Nova and smoked Sturgeon fix serves very good bagels. Not as good as NYC-but very good none the less.
I like whole wheat bagels "scooped" out and lightly toasted served with lite chive cream cheese.
That said, I think the very best NYC style bagels in Dallas are at, "Einsteins Bagels".
But, their Nova is probably canned or pre-frozen and Sturgeon, of course is non-existant.
Any bagel opinions from my fellow Dallasites?
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/05/29 11:23:33
Einstein's Bros Bagels have (IMHO) the best sesame seed bagel I've tried. I eat mine toasted with a "schmear" of low-fat plain cream cheese, nothing else.

Where I live now, though, there aren't any authentic bagel shops, so Atlanta Bread Co's wheat bagel - more of a honey wheat than a whole wheat - is the best I've found. Again - toasted with lite cream cheese. Yum!
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/06/03 05:40:49
Warm Bagels with Cream Cheese!!!!

Ah...........................
Fajuea
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/06/03 17:57:39
I'd go for a toasted bagel with cream cheese any day.
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/08 10:32:46
I love Breuggers Bagels!!!!! (Plain)

LOADED WITH CREAM CHEESE (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/16 10:15:47
Here in CT the best bagels can be found at Patty Cakes in Rocky Hill! My favorite is the pumpernickel variety with veggie cream cheese!
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2007/07/16 10:31:28
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15 Bagels are good in Chicago's north suburbs, especially New York Bagel and Bialy in Lincolnwood on Touhy. It's the closest to a New York bagel that I've ever found. No baking allowed - just boiling.

Now a question: Why aren't there any decent bagel shops in the Loop? I imagine that NY Bagel and Bialy would make a killing if they opened one here. Even an Einstein's would be OK. There's no decent place to get a bagel near where I work on Wacker and Madison. Or is there? Let me know.
I'm guessing it's because the Jews, who are the bagel addicts, live in Lake County, or at least northern Cook County, so that's where the bagel shops are. I'd suggest going to your favorite place and telling them what you told us, armed with a petition.

Here in Wisconsin, I'm stuck with Bruegger's. At least they know what lox and capers are. Whole grain with lox and capers and tomato and onion and lettuce and the whole salad bar for me! No cream cheese (say "C C, please"), but a slice of swiss or cheddar would be awesome.
Msradell
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/20 21:22:39
I'm new to this forum and just thought I'd write a quick comment on bagels. I grew up in Rochester New York (large Jewish population) and was spoiled by several local bagel shops. I've since lived in South Carolina, France and now Kentucky and I have visited all over the United States. I have found no place with a good bagel outside of New York.

A couple of a national chains have an OK bagel, a few small local bakeries have an idea what to make but their execution always falls short and non of the frozen bagels are even worth talking about.

Here in Louisville Kentucky it's impossible to get a good bagel. We have two chains that sell them (Dooley's and Panera Bread) neither of which make a bagel that's worth much.

As far as toppings nothing beats cream cheese and lox, although butter on a salt bagel comes close.
Luvstoeat
Hamburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/22 00:05:34
quote:
Originally posted by Msradell

I have found no place with a good bagel outside of New York.

Spoken like a true New Yorker........
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 02:24:06
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat Spoken like a true New Yorker........
You mean like people who think that Chicago Style Pizza is deep dish?

Thanks for Lou "THROW THE (**&% BALL OVER THE )(*&(*&^ PLATE! Pinella. FINALLY I don't miss Don Baylor so much.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 07:34:19
The first time he had a bagel Bill Monroe said it was the toughest doughnut he ever ate, and it didn't have much sweet to it either.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 08:12:40
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat

quote:

He's not a true New Yorker, he's from Rochester, that's like saying someone from effingham Illinois is a true Chicogoan.

Oh, and and there are no Jewish people in Rochester, trust me on that one!
Luvstoeat
Hamburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 08:39:26
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

He's not a true New Yorker, he's from Rochester, that's like saying someone from effingham Illinois is a true Chicogoan.

I stand corrected. My humble apologies!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 09:11:06
quote:
Originally posted by Luvstoeat

quote:

In any case, GEORGETOWN BAGELS in DC are as goos as most NYC bagels.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 09:30:55
I'm originally from NYC and, except for 8 years in NJ, have lived in CT all my life. Bagels? When they're done right (boiled then baked) are wonderful...but then, I'm preaching to the choir on this thread.

Mr. Hoffman: I do remember eating bagels at Lenders on Rt. 1 (West Haven, right?) and they were terrific. The place was called "The Bagel Board" I think.

A warm, freshly-baked bagel needs no toasting. It's crusty on the outside, chewy on the inside and altogether fantastic with a schmear. Not all that long ago, I feasted on H & H bagels with nova from Zabars (cut from the fish as I watched). That and a good cup of coffee...wow!
Charles Cramer
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 10:28:06
Although I live in New England and have also traveled far and wide, I'd essentially have to agree with Msradell. It's difficult at BEST to find a decent bagel outside of NY. A few exceptions and notes however are in order.

First off, wanderingjew, I went to college in Rochester in the late 80's and I can tell you decisively that there is, indeed, a LARGE (and active) Jewish population there, So I'm puzzled as the where your remark came from.

As somewhat of a bagel purist, I have fond memories of my grandmother arriving by train in northwest CT from NYC, with a dozen NY bagel in her suitcase. YUMMMM!! There simply is NOTHING - ANYWHERE - like a NYC water bagel. PERIOD! Some reasonable facsimiles are (as likely have been mentioned before...) Bloch's Bagel in Columbus OH, for a local store/chain (EXCELLENT bakery as well and superb sandwich/bagel bar - my vote for best bagel outside of NYC) and the Einstein's chain, which more or less gets it right.

For those who have become accustomed to some of the other chains, please know that bagel weren't always (and shouldn't be) the size of a space-saver spare tire. And as far as I'm personally concerned, strawberry and maple walnut cream cheese et-al should be permanently exiled, along with the some of the more bizarre bagel offerings (blueberry, green bagel, jalapeno, ). Yes, I'm even a cinnamon-raisin frowner. ;)

Michael Stern had made a comment at one point about the old Lender's bagel factory in New Haven, CT. I, too, can vouch for the (then...) exceptionally good bagel offered there. I went on a personal guided tour (as a kid) with my aunt and cousin, and was taken around by one of the Lender brothers. What they've degenerated into to now bears little resemblance to that once noble example.

Boston offers a good bagel bakery, located in Brookline - Kupel's (Harvard St). It's a righteous bagel, perhaps slightly larger than they should be (but 'tis the trend nationally), but with the right taste, texture and "chew". Bruegger's and the rest of the chain's don't merit a serious look (or for that matter a visit, even if you were right outside their door). Their "bagel" are hideous (and I think I'm actually being nice ;) ).

We do have a couple decent bagel places here in southern New Hampshire - Hot Rise in Merrimack (exit 12 off the Everett Tpke, on the DW Highway), which although they stray from the more traditional toppings, have a good bagel. the secret? It's and H&H bagel from NYC shipped in parboiled and frozen and finished/baked on premises.

- Bagel Alley, 1 Eldridge St., Nashua. Made from scratch, they even have a steam injection oven, which yields a really nice outer crust.

That being said... now it's time for bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers and onions ;) oh.. and for EXCELLENT lox, the Kirkland signature at Costco is a great deal (around $11/lb at my local warehouse).
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 10:56:22
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Cramer

First off, wanderingjew, I went to college in Rochester in the late 80's and I can tell you decisively that there is, indeed, a LARGE (and active) Jewish population there, So I'm puzzled as the where your remark came from.

My remarks came from facts
[url]www.fmams.org.il/9e_communityspotlights/rochesterny.htm[/url]
22,000 jews out of a metro population of just over one million is nominal. This is actually and average representation for most medium- large sized US cities.
As you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Jews
Monroe County is ranked 69 out of 100 as far as the distribution of the Jewish Population in American Cities and Counties
Charles Cramer
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/23 11:23:51
I'll keep this brief as I replied off list but... the fact that they made it on to the list of 100 AT ALL says a LOT! Considering the size of Jewish populations in towns and cities across the USA, Rochester HARDLY would be categorized as being insignificant.

And I hope that this puts an end to this tangential discussion...

Let's get back to BAGEL (and perhaps Bialy's too..?) .

RibRater
RE: Bagels 2007/07/24 08:02:31
Originally posted by Charles Cramer

and the Einstein's chain, which more or less gets it right.

Thanks for the post..it reminded me that the last decent bagel I had was at an Einsteins.

So, yesterday I went to their website to see where the nearest location was to be found...lo and behold there was one right here in my city! I've been here 2 years and thought it odd that I've never seen the place or viewed any advertising for them.

The website said the location was inside a local hospital so I drove around the hospital yesterday looking for any signs and found none.

Called their phone number and was sent straight to an individuals voicemail.

This morning I did a search on the einstein name and the hospital name ...found a press release saying they put an einstein in the new wing of the hospital. Drove over, walked in...tada! Signs pointing to Einsteins! (they have been open 3 months and since they don't have their own parking have been limited on their advertising to date).

They do not have bagel dogs (yet) but I'm sitting here enjoying an everything with a chive and onion shmear. It may fall short of a NY bagel but it's a lot closer then the panera/atlanta bread we have been relegated to in this town.

Thanks for the memory-jogger Charles!

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/24 09:14:01
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

My remarks came from facts
22,000 jews out of a metro population of just over one million is nominal. This is actually and average representation for most medium- large sized US cities.
As you can see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Jews
Monroe County is ranked 69 out of 100 as far as the distribution of the Jewish Population in American Cities and Counties

Rochester has like 4 or 5 synnagogues, indicating a very strong population. Even with "only" 22,000 jews you can support a good jewish bakery with bagels, a deli, a judaica shop...etc.

I am spoiled by bagels, having grown up in the NJ/NYC region. And most people will tell you: the bagels in NYC, with the exception of one or two joints, are overrated. NJ bagels are oftentimes much better!
Beach Kim
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2007/07/25 13:05:00
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieGee52

Here in So Ca.....basically the choice is "Noah's Bagels" which I prefer to "Western Bagels"...Noah's by the way is an off shoot of Einstein Bagels.....that used to be opened in Rockville Centre,NY....one of the other reasons I prefer Noah's is they make a "real" white fish salad that reminds me of my days in NY.....

By the way I prefer either plain or egg bagels....while am sure the seeded variety adds flavor...who needs them stuck in ones teeth...?!?!?!?!

LaurieGee52

Noah's don't do it for me. In LA area I like the bagels at Manhattan Beach Bread and Bagel Company. I usually get the jalapeno (sorry--it is California) with plain cream cheese. My daughter (8 yrs) goes for the cinnamon sugar with cream cheese, son (6 yrs) like blue berry and son (3 yrs) is a purist-plain with cream cheese.
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2007/07/26 13:34:55
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew My remarks came from facts
Is it nominal or is it average? I'm confused.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2007/07/27 00:43:23
I've been searching for the perfect bagel(one that's boiled) since moving to Wisconsin in 1990. I still haven't found it, so I return to my roots in Lincolnwood-NY Bagel & Bialy. However, I've discovered the best rye for a corned beef sandwich from Miller's Bakery in Milwaukee(a much better rye than anything Chicago has to offer, with the exception of the Baltic Bakery).

CSD
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Bagels 2007/07/27 12:06:38
In the Phoenix AZ area we have Chompies. It was started by the Borensteins - Lou, Lovey, Mark, Neal & Wendy who came to the Valley from Queens, NYC in 1979. Their Bagels & Bialy's are about as close to real NYC Bagels that we can get out here.
ticohoops
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2008/01/16 00:44:11
My grandparents owned Ticotsky's Bakery on Legion Avenue in New Haven, CT. The bakery opened in 1907 and was sold in 1945; it operated under the Ticotsky name until the early 1970's.

According to my father (who is now 89 and in a nursing home), Lender's originally started selling bagels from a push cart in New Haven. They operated restaurants in Orange and Hamden.

Other thoughts from my father:

*** Today's bagels aren't as good due to mass production; in "the old days", they were all made by hand.

*** Today's bagels are too sweet. The best kind are plain with butter or cream cheese. His parents would turn over in their graves if they heard people ate blueberry bagels with sun dried tomato cream cheese!

*** Steam was the prime requisite for baking crusty bread; the quality was high due to no production goals needing to be met.

BTW, I just found this forum while doing a Google search. Great stuff!
i95
RE: Bagels 2008/01/16 19:29:24
quote:
Originally posted by i95

If you can't do the H&H Bagel thing 'cause you're trapped in the mid-Atlantic area (although NYC's H&H does ship frozen bagels to places like Richmond, Virginia's Padow's Deli [http://www.padows.com/index.cfm?redirect=true] and commercial bagel dough to places like Leesburg, Virginia's Deli South), I've found that the best bagels available can be found at both the:

Georgetown Bagelry
(
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=1026132&typeId=2) -- both the Georgetown and Bethesda [River Road] locations produce good size, chewy bagels and an even better bialy.

Bagels And...
Just before Annapolis' historic district off of Rowe Boulevard (2019 West Street -- across from the State Police barracks) where my favorite product is their limited production of what they call their Super Egg Bagel -- an egg bagel with both onions and poppy seeds.

FYI, mid-Atlantic RoadFooders.

Since this thread was resurrected by the above 2008 post, allow me to also update the new name of the above Annapolis, Maryland bagel shop as[url='http://www.whatsupmag.com/june07/boa.shtml']Naval Bagels[/url] AND correct address as 609 Taylor Avenue in Annapolis (although still across from the state police barracks and next to the equally great Graul's grocery store (think Otterbein's and Berger cookies ).

I was just there today and they're still cranking out some of the best bagels around.

I'd (still) highly recommend.

angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:38:27
I've not had the honor of traveling and sampling local bagels... so from my experience, Einstein Bros. is probably the best bagel place I've been to. Atlanta Bread and Panera have pretty decent ones as well... but of course, they are chains and thus don't have that "hand made" touch. As far as flavor... I LOVE a toasted sesame-seed or honey wheat bagel with low-fat plain cream cheese. I'm not much on the flavored ones - bagel or cream cheese.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:54:25
I don't like bagels any more---grew up in a Jewish neighborhood on Long Island and loved bagels with cream cheese----only one type then and that was plain. But they are not the same any more.

Some baker on Long Island is baking NY Giant Blue bagels this week---if the Packers beat the Giants he will have to go back to regular old ordinary brown I guess. But I hope he has to keep it up for another few weeks---GO GIANTS !!!
acer2x
Cheeseburger
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 11:59:29
Rolings Bakery in Elkins Park, PA at 7848 Montgomery Ave. Crisp outside,soft inside and all hand made. None of the chain stuff for me.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 21:17:39
I no longer have access to NY bagels here in Florida. But, there are several places that make a bagel close to or equal to NY's. One is the Sage in Hallendale, FL. There is another place in Pompano and a few others, too. Lake Worth, I believe.

However, for those who are not near a fresh bagel store, there is a terrific option. Ray's Frozen NY Bagels. They wonderful and can be found in places like Publix and I'm sure other supermarkets. All you do is take them while frozen(do not defrost them!) and put them in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Shut off the oven and let it sit another minute.

Let them cool off enough so you can cut them. Enjoy!
JoeDunbar
Junior Burger
RE: Bagels 2008/01/17 21:31:43
Montreal's St.Viateur Bagels (open 24 hours) have phenomenal bagels baked fresh all day and night. They are ordered by seed: white (sesame) and black (poppy). Get some Astro cream cheese (like Ben's in NYC).
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Bagels 2008/01/18 13:13:30
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner Some baker on Long Island is baking NY Giant Blue bagels this week---if the Packers beat the Giants he will have to go back to regular old ordinary brown I guess. But I hope he has to keep it up for another few weeks---GO GIANTS !!!
Why not green ones, assuming the Packers win. I'm looking forward to seeing the Pack play another original NFL franchise. We got our heads handed to us by the Bears twice already.

Prediction: Let's just say it's no coincidence that the Cardinals won their sole NFL championship in Chicago.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Bagels 2008/01/18 17:27:35
There is just something wrong about coloring food an abnormal color.

Blue bagel could = blueberries
Green bagel = ?????????

B.U.M. - I do hope the pack wins, but I will stick with blueberry bagels
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3