Goetta

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2003/04/11 11:47:33 (permalink)

Goetta

I have read about a Cincinatti breakfast thing called goetta. In Knoxville, TN, we apparently do not have that. What is it and how good is it?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

59 Replies Related Threads

jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1188
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/11 13:27:14 (permalink)
    Goetta ("Get-uh") is Cincinnati's distant cousin to Pennsylvania's Scrapple. It's a mixture of pork parts and pinhead oatmeal, nicely spiced, then minced into a sort of pate consistency. It is then sliced thin and fried crisp for breakfast. I am told it's an acquired taste, but I've always loved it.

The premiere brand in the area is Glier's ("Gleers") Good Goetta, available at http://www.goetta.com. Varieties include original, low fat, beef and HOT. You can also obtain hats, t-shirts, etc., saying (are you ready?) "Goetta Life".
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/11 16:34:59 (permalink)
    The three dark tiles in the foreground are goetta:

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/11 17:59:44 (permalink)
    Is it worth a drive from Knoxville to sample this treat or is it just a local thing? I looked the recipe up in Yahoo for Goetta and Scrapple. They appear simlilar and not very exciting.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jmckee
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/11 18:09:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Is it worth a drive from Knoxville to sample this treat or is it just a local thing? I looked the recipe up in Yahoo for Goetta and Scrapple. They appear simlilar and not very exciting.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Well...I'm not sure it's worth a drive just for Goetta. But if you had some Cincinnati chili at Skyline or Camp Washington, then perhaps some Graeter's Ice Cream and bought some Busken doughnuts for the trip home the next day...

Seriously. It's really one of those dishes that doesn't look so good on paper. But who wants to eat it off of paper, anyway? I'd say have a go at it. Or order it from the website; six pounds is less than $20, and they ship 2nd day via Airborne Express. You could have a goetta tasting party with your fellow Tennessee foodies. Fry up a few slices a la Michael Stern's mouthwatering photo. Serve with hash browns, eggs, toast or biscuits (or cornbread), grits, etc....

As for it being a purely local dish: We're Cincinnatians; we're parochial; we've gotten used to it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/11 18:27:54 (permalink)
    jmckee: I am through Cincy quite often. Either through the airport or driving. Next time I drive through which is often, I am going to stop at Camp Washington. I will try that local cuisine. I have stopped several times at the new "Gold Star" restaurants which seemed to be every where now. I always get the total dish of chili excluding beans which do not like me. I think Cincy is a unique city that seems to have all sorts of unique foods. I do not know why! I like the area on the river directly across from Cincy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/12 04:21:39 (permalink)
    FWIW, Will Weaver will be publishing an entire book titled Country Scrapple in the fall, devoted to scrapple, goetta, puddin', and all other pig/grain breakfast meats.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/12 16:24:12 (permalink)
    Once you get over the "what the heck is in there?" mentality, which I, a roadfooder, never had to begin with---Scrapple is a wonderful thing!! (For something that appears to be so grizzled---it melts in your mouth!!!) It's mostly served in the rural areas, not the cities or suburban Eastern PA and is a great side with not only eggs but the breadstuffs too!
    jmckee
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/13 16:01:23 (permalink)
    I've never been a big fan of the Gold Star chain. It has a spicy bite at the back of the throat that I've never found altogether pleasant...

Of course, I could be biased. Our first house was in the eastern suburb of Mt. Washington, where we lived from 1986-1997. The Gold Star commissary was--and is--there on the main drag, Beechmont Avenue: about half a mile from our house. Every morning--and I mean every morning--I could smell the unmistakable aroma of Gold Star when I left the house for work. I smelled it until I passed the commissary. I turned on the A/C in the car52 weeks a year to escape that smell....

You are correct about Northern Kentucky. In many ways, they've managed to develop the riverfront in ways we Ohioans are just catching up to. Dixie Chili, in N. KY., used to be the only place you could get a seven-way: A five-way with chopped-up wiener and an egg, cooked to your liking. Ugh.

quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

jmckee: I am through Cincy quite often. Either through the airport or driving. Next time I drive through which is often, I am going to stop at Camp Washington. I will try that local cuisine. I have stopped several times at the new "Gold Star" restaurants which seemed to be every where now. I always get the total dish of chili excluding beans which do not like me. I think Cincy is a unique city that seems to have all sorts of unique foods. I do not know why! I like the area on the river directly across from Cincy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/13 18:49:22 (permalink)
    I had zero experience with Scrapple prior to my reading of Michener's CENTENNIAL. One of his characters was an Amish Guy who heads west as one of the covered-wagon pioneers. There is a very detailed description of the making of Scrapple as part of that segment. When we roadtripped thru That part of PA in the early 90's we tried several versions of Scrapple and also of Fried Mush with our breakfasts. Some were outstanding, others were like canned Grits...Not worth stopping for.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/13 19:33:10 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    When discussing entrally-based breakfast foods, don't leave out livermush! I'm up to 23 brands now that I've sampled, counting the regular, hot, and liver pudding variations. This delicacy is ubiquitous in North Carolina, findable in Southern Virginia, common in Upstate South Carolina, and occasionally run across in Georgia.
    The more common brands are Jenkins and Mack's from Shelby, N. C.; Jamison's from Charlotte; and Neese's from Greensboro, N.C. Also finable are brands from Marion, N.C.; Greenwood, S. C.; and Kannapolis, N. C. - the others are strictly locally obtainable where they're made.
    In Central South Carolina (not the town Central, up by Greenville, though!), one runs across Counts' Liver Pudding from Prosperity, S. C. and Harvin Liver Pudding from Sumter, S. C.
    Since I love livermush and scrapple, I've gotta try Goetta. A good source of supply is Kroger stores. Although the ones here (Athens, Georgia) don't seem to carry it, some in the Atlanta area do.
    Thanks for the mention. I'll get to soutisso sausage from Valdese, North Carolina another time.
    Hungrily (As Always!) Submitted, Ort. Carlton.
    P. S. Livermush is made with cornmeal as an adjunct, South Carolina liver pudding uses rice, and goetta employs oats.
    jmckee
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/29 16:31:42 (permalink)
    Hey, Goetta lovers!

I went to the new Reds' ballpark Sunday, and looked at the increased food options. One of the new menu items is a Goetta burger!
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/29 20:19:47 (permalink)
    I have freshly returned from Northern Kentucky,
    Searching for Goetta Sausage, at Krogers w/o sucess
    LiverMush Maybe it was a good thing
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Goetta 2003/04/30 23:42:47 (permalink)
    JMcKee,
    I've absolutely "goetta" try one of those. Sounds deliriously good - and even more deliriously local!
    They didn't dub me The Travelling Trencherman for nothing, y'know.
    Livermushing Along, Ort. Carlton.
    jmckee
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/08 17:46:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

JMcKee,
    I've absolutely "goetta" try one of those. Sounds deliriously good - and even more deliriously local!
    They didn't dub me The Travelling Trencherman for nothing, y'know.
    Livermushing Along, Ort. Carlton.

We, the Goetta lovers of America, are takin' over!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/08 20:16:57 (permalink)
    How about sending some of this tuff down to Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/08 20:42:44 (permalink)
    Stan, I have to disagree with your comment about scrapple not in the big cities. It's very popular in Philadelphia. I do agree with you on this: scrapple does melt in your mouth!
    quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Once you get over the "what the heck is in there?" mentality, which I, a roadfooder, never had to begin with---Scrapple is a wonderful thing!! (For something that appears to be so grizzled---it melts in your mouth!!!) It's mostly served in the rural areas, not the cities or suburban Eastern PA and is a great side with not only eggs but the breadstuffs too!

practans
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/09 17:08:32 (permalink)

quote:
    Originally posted by stanpnepa

Scrapple is very popular (relatively speaking)in Southeastern PA and South Jersey, including in Philly and it's suburbs. I have found that people are very brand-conscious about scrapple. Habbersetts is the most popular brand and my favorite, too. Dietz and Watson seems to be well-liked, also. Parks, Rapa and others are less popular.

When I was a kid I hated scrapple, but over the years I acquired the taste. Somewhere along the line it dawned on me that scrapple is really Pennsylvania Dutch polenta. It's just cornmeal mush with minced pork parts (don't look at the label) and spices.

A great place for a scrapple breakfast is the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. There's a restaurant counter operated by the Pennsylvania Dutch that serves a good scrapple breakfast on Saturdays. People line up for seats at the counter.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/09 20:11:10 (permalink)
    We love our scrapple down here in B'more too. Many years ago I worked for the Park's sausage company.(At that time it sat where one of the parking lots of the Raven's stadium is today) I was the accounts payable clerk. I had to know what went into a product so I could charge the meat purchases to the correct account. At that time Parks scrapple was one of the best around & while working there I found out why. When they made up their sausage, If the seasonings weren't just right they would use the sausage in their scrapple, ergo better quality meat, better scrapple. Parks no longer has it's own plant & the production of their products is farmed out to different plants. The scrapple just ain't the same, sigh!
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Goetta 2003/05/10 04:46:28 (permalink)
    Here in S.W. Va. all we have to do is go to the local Kroger and pick up Neese's Liver Pudding or Neese's Scrapple. It's there on the shelf beside the Neese's Sausage. I do not know how it is sold else where but Neese's products come in 1lb. blocks wrapped in wax paper. This delivered to Kroger's via small delivery trucks. It does not come some giant Kroger warehouse. So freshness is not a issue.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Goetta 2003/07/26 22:39:23 (permalink)
    Long time reader, first time poster...from Cincinnati.

Goetta is a wonderful thing. Had some for breaskfast today.

Generally, you don't find it in squares, you buy it in the store in 1lb rolls, almost exactly like breakfast sausage (the bulk that you'd fry as a pattie, not the links)

The picture Michael put up is a very poor one, in my opinion, for goetta. I need to get me a digital cam so I can drop off a better rendition :-) Now, everyone likes it diffrently, but very few I know of like it cut as thin as shown, and certainly not fried to a nearly burnt crispiness as shown. You generally want a somewhat crisp golden brown exterior, and the interior is somewhat creamy and spicy at the same time, on slabs cut maybe 2x to 4x the thickness of that shown. A bit thicker than your average sausage patty, I'd say.

When in Cincinnati, culinary wise, I'd say there's probably 5 things worth trying. (We have a 5-star restaurant here as well, but I don't think it has anything uniquely Cincinnati-ish about it.)

1) Breakfast goetta. Can be eaten anytime, and we even have a goetta festival here where it's used in all kinds of recipes, but its 99% eaten at breakfast.

2) Aglamesis ice cream. Others will say Graeters.

3) Cincinnati style Chili. Make sure you get both a coney (chili dog topped with shredded cheddar cheese, onions and mustard optional) plus a three-way (spagetti topped with chili and the same shredded cheddar cheese. You can add beans or chaopped raw onions to make it a four-way, or both makes it a five-way.

4) LaRosa's pizza. specify extra sauce, the sauce is what makes this pizza special and the tend to go light on it of late.

5) Montgomery Inn Ribs. Go with the pork ribs, although the beef ribs, chicken, and duck are all good choices if you can make return visits. Don't forget to get saratoga chips as your potato choice.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goetta 2003/07/26 22:43:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jmckee

Our first house was in the eastern suburb of Mt. Washington, where we lived from 1986-1997. The Gold Star commissary was--and is--there on the main drag, Beechmont Avenue: about half a mile from our house. Every morning--and I mean every morning--I could smell the unmistakable aroma of Gold Star when I left the house for work. I smelled it until I passed the commissary. I turned on the A/C in the car 52 weeks a year to escape that smell....

Ironically, I moved to Mt Washington in Jan 1997, back in the Deliquia subdivision, and I go down that same hill every day :-). Same smell, every morning. They closed the old Gold Star and built a brand new one across the street, the comissary however goes on as always.

Gotta throw a plug in here for Pizzaville. Wonderful.....
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Goetta 2003/07/27 00:12:08 (permalink)
    2 weeks ago when in Cincy I tried goetta and didn't care for it. Ok, so next year if I go back I'll try it again.

I like scrapple and pond haus. Living about 30 miles S of Pa we get a good sampling of both.

As to the Carolina style liver sausages discussed in this thread are these anything like liverwurst?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goetta 2003/07/27 00:41:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

2 weeks ago when in Cincy

Saw your 'journal' type thread, also commented there.

Seriously, when you return, make sure you go to Montgomery Inn....
    schmidtfrazier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Goetta 2003/10/16 15:21:01 (permalink)
    I'm a new user to this site. I lived in Northern Kentucky for 20+ years until moving to Louisville. I love Goetta and didn't realize until today just how unique to Cin/N.KY area it was. As I was discussing with my co-worker's the joy of Goetta and got blank stares all around. I went on line to find proof of this wonderful food and came across your discussion.
    I must disagree with your assessment of the picture that is the perfect way to have Goetta, cooked all the way through and crisp with either syrup, ketchup, or plain. I'm used to getting it in large rectangular packaging, I've never seen it in a roll and the thinner the better. Thanks for proving the Goetta is real.
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Long time reader, first time poster...from Cincinnati.

Goetta is a wonderful thing. Had some for breaskfast today.

Generally, you don't find it in squares, you buy it in the store in 1lb rolls, almost exactly like breakfast sausage (the bulk that you'd fry as a pattie, not the links)

The picture Michael put up is a very poor one, in my opinion, for goetta. I need to get me a digital cam so I can drop off a better rendition :-) Now, everyone likes it diffrently, but very few I know of like it cut as thin as shown, and certainly not fried to a nearly burnt crispiness as shown. You generally want a somewhat crisp golden brown exterior, and the interior is somewhat creamy and spicy at the same time, on slabs cut maybe 2x to 4x the thickness of that shown. A bit thicker than your average sausage patty, I'd say.

When in Cincinnati, culinary wise, I'd say there's probably 5 things worth trying. (We have a 5-star restaurant here as well, but I don't think it has anything uniquely Cincinnati-ish about it.)

1) Breakfast goetta. Can be eaten anytime, and we even have a goetta festival here where it's used in all kinds of recipes, but its 99% eaten at breakfast.

2) Aglamesis ice cream. Others will say Graeters.

3) Cincinnati style Chili. Make sure you get both a coney (chili dog topped with shredded cheddar cheese, onions and mustard optional) plus a three-way (spagetti topped with chili and the same shredded cheddar cheese. You can add beans or chaopped raw onions to make it a four-way, or both makes it a five-way.

4) LaRosa's pizza. specify extra sauce, the sauce is what makes this pizza special and the tend to go light on it of late.

5) Montgomery Inn Ribs. Go with the pork ribs, although the beef ribs, chicken, and duck are all good choices if you can make return visits. Don't forget to get saratoga chips as your potato choice.
    gramjack
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Goetta 2003/10/19 10:46:00 (permalink)
    go online and type in goetta recipe you can make it in a crock pot and it is really good after the crock pot is done just put it in aluminum foil small loaf pans and freeze. when ya want some just thaw slice and fry til outsde is crisp yum yum
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Goetta 2003/10/26 12:56:17 (permalink)
    I just had a very nice little order of goetta at the Kellogg Antique Mall restaurant on Eastern Avenue (just a block off route 50). They serve breakfast all day, and it was great.

Didn't care for their version of biscuits and gravy, but everything else was quite good.
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Goetta 2003/10/29 00:55:25 (permalink)
    What a great Cincy thread!

Personally I favor a far more exclusively version than Glier's, my own mother's homemade recipe. I like my goetta in loaves kind of like what is pictured here:
    http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/goetta/

Cook it up in a skillet, thinner rather than thicker for me, but, hey, eat it how you want. If you have to add a sauce, I prefer ketchup to syrup. Either way, if you haven't tried it, the next time you are in Cincy find a local and have him/her point you towards a good breakfast place with goetta.
    Finley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Goetta 2003/12/05 17:54:19 (permalink)
    A little food trivia:

Goetta is made with oats, Scrapple with cornmeal, and Louisiana's Boudin with rice. Do a Google search for recipes and proprietors.
    lemon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Goetta 2004/04/12 14:12:05 (permalink)
    Places to eat goetta:

Anchor Grill, in Covington. Open 24 hours.
    The Echo, Hyde Park. Make sure you order it crispy.
    Price Hill Chili. West side institution.
    Ft. Washington Chili. Centrally located, but never had theirs.

I'm sure there are many others. Does Perkins serve goetta?

Don't forget, in two consecutive weekends in June the area will be home to two goetta festivals. The first I believe is in Cincinnati at Sawyer Point. This is the one sponsored by Gliers, and is focused more on the actual food.

The second goetta fest is in Covington, which is the site of the original fest, which has just moved across the river to Cincy. Covington's is more diverse in terms of its offerings and not necessarily focused on goetta.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1