Po Bois Truck final stages of build

Junior Burger
2013/02/17 13:40:55
Hello everyone - Im still not to my post quota so ill have to proxy post my pics- my truck can be seen in the "yet another food truck build" its the engine turned grumman. I have been working day and night trying to get it finished and am coming up against a few items that i have not been able to figure out or find on any previous posts/threads

- Window awning supports i will get photos posted here shortly, but i have a 40" tall x 60" wide window that i have inset into the truck 3". My plan is to do a very similar install as the back door for my awning, using the same hinges even. My issue is i cannot find a good source to help me "calculate" for the gas shocks/lift gate struts  that i need and where to install them- months ago i stumbled upon a website but it has been long forgotten. id also like to here any pros and cons that anyone has / opinions on these.
here are my opinions;

- i want gas shocks because im completely mobile possibly doing multiple services a day with quick set up and pack up
- i like the  minimal design rather than larger telescoping poles
- i like the dumbness of lift and close reducing damage by stupid operators
- i would like a secondary safety lock system but maybe this is unecessary? i like redundancy 

by the way as far as my window goes I am very happy with it- its a millworks Home depot version ordered with .25" temp glass, all alluminum it was under 5 bills with coupons- sturdy! and matches my alum scheme/ it is framed in by alum 3x1 c- channel 

if you look up Po' Bois in facebook  you can see some pics of this 
post edited by drvp - 2013/02/17 13:42:35
drvp
Junior Burger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/17 16:09:22
further info;

my truck is a 1990 Grumman with a 454 - in its former life it was Boise's local Snap on Truck well known in the area and the only one for over a decade- very well kept - its cargo is 16' with a high roof - total length is 24 foot- it has a steel lift gate on the back which im keeping on it 
, other awesome extras;
- Honda liquid cooled genny 6000Watt
- roof AC (will use it primarily while driving)
- 4 6v extreme heavy duty Interstate deep cycle batts (232 AH each) system with a 5000 watt inverter
- huge undermount propane tank 
- nice 12 v system and lighting with 20" Thinlites thruout
2 110watt  6.5 amp solar panels and charge controlller that ive added 
8 cu foot sundanzer chest freezer that runs on 6 amp 12v! 

- so far i have don the following;
- stripped and decoratively finished the exterior
- clear coated the exterior with Glisten PC
- installed the inset alluminum window 40x 60
- wired for all 110vac and 12v  
- sourced 100% equip /purchased 90% - im waiting for the last moment for a few big ticket items

- i will be covering the interior with a galvanized material with the same pebble finish as FRP - i know there are pros and cons but i prefer the look of metal (does it show?) and i prefer working with metal rather than plastic- i am also not as impressed with FRP longevity in the trucks ive seen.

daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/17 18:49:04
Just keep post little things.I looking forward to your build and photos, as I have a mac tool truck i have had for two years and Have tought of a conversion.right now I have half as a motorhome and half with supplies and freezers to tow my concession trailer.
a.mckenna
Hamburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/17 21:09:42
As I cannot post photos here and have zero desire to mess with a photo uploading site, email me at alice.mckenna1 at gmail dot com.

Will find and send over some pics of my most recent creation. It will give you a few ideas on a very simplistic way to create a window awning with crap bought at home depot. Did I mention it only cost me like 200 in materials to do two windows?
drvp
Junior Burger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/18 23:37:06
So ive read some posts about equipment mounting- and im pretty sure that no one has mentioned these before- SPEEDRAIL fittings- not the bar shelf but google that (since i cant post links)- I used these when i was a grip on movie sets - i cant remember the price but they are heavy duty/aluminum and have 1/4 inch set screws with tall necks - i just wanted to see if anyone has used them before - they come in a few diameters
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/19 00:04:57
Ummm I used speedrails to mount my table to the floor as well as mount my stove to the table. I also used them to support/ act as front legs on my work table. I used 1 1/4 inch speedrails. They fit perfectly around the legs of my stove and equipment stand. I got mine from buyrails.com.

P.s. I'll post ur pictures tomorrow been busy working cause of the holiday.
drvp
Junior Burger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/19 00:21:54
Btm676 - i had to go back and check out your pics - i feel ashamed i missed that! I'm glad to hear they worked on your equipment legs i hadnt measured legs yet/ plus some of them are the tapered ones- no biggie on the pics - good luck! im getting projects done at a pretty good pace now that the friggin ext is done!
BTM676
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/19 01:05:56
Nice. Must legs are standard which is 1 1/2 inch inside diameter and 1 5/8 inch outside diameter. Check the legs anyway but get the 1 1/4 inch speedrails cause they run big and the 1 1/4 fit perfectly. The 1 5/8 speedrails work but you'll have 1/4 inch of play. Lol trust me I got both, and learned the hard way. Lol
drvp
Junior Burger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/02/20 02:33:01
Got my below deck battery box built today, the truck all scuffed up for the second coat of clear, spoke to some pig farmers, drank some PBR's and got the shop all cleaned up
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/05/22 13:32:53
How goes the battle?  We're ready to see that baby on the road.
drvp
Junior Burger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/05/23 13:02:14
you and me both! Murphy's law has hit me with a boatload of consultant work right when I didn't want it! Im working nights and almost ready- First big event is in June for Fathers day- I work best under pressure;)

When im done with this build ill post all the pics and stats- everything is working well- my batt/solar system is awesome and runs the truck pretty indefinately when there is good sun

cant wait to see you and your wife out there too! hope things are going well! 
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/05/23 15:30:58
We should be in your neck of the woods soon.  Working on doing a dinner with Payette Brewing and we'll be in Meridian mid July at Parktacular.  We've actually been pretty busy without leaving Nampa.  Farmer's Market every Saturday and we got into the Nampa Food Truck Rally on 6/28.  We have only been doing Saturdays so far, adding some weekday lunches in the next couple weeks.  Doors are starting to open, more after we get all the permits finished, every city wants a piece of the pie.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/05/24 02:29:18
 "get the 1 1/4 inch speed-rails cause they run big and the 1 1/4 fit perfectly."
I goggled speed-rails I see connectors but don't see what your using for the legs.Do you have a photo or link to what your thinking.
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
Re:Po Bois Truck final stages of build 2013/05/24 07:47:51
daddywoofdawg

"get the 1 1/4 inch speed-rails cause they run big and the 1 1/4 fit perfectly."
I goggled speed-rails I see connectors but don't see what your using for the legs.Do you have a photo or link to what your thinking.

I used them too.  There are three styles, one like the link, another with a round flange and a third that is oblong.  I would not use the oblong, the holes are huge, I had to use fender washers to close the tops.  The round ones I used were perfect, screw plugs the hole.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/180290/Hollaender-Aluminum-Pipe-Fittings-Pipe-Round-base-Flange?gclid=CPbfp8LVrrcCFct7QgodJnEAcA&sku=180290&CID=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=180290&ef_id=9wZQC2UQxY8AAAIz20130524114609s
post edited by BelCibo - 2013/05/24 07:52:26