chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ?

Double Cheeseburger
2013/02/20 12:03:19
anyone try these yet ? what will they think of next
Joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 13:41:57
saw them in the store but didnt want to buy a big bag to try em
mar52
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 13:47:26
I'm a sore loser.

I won't try them because my flavors were better.

Really.

Being honest!
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 14:41:02
A guy in my office says they are great...Russ
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 14:44:42
I'll try them. Sounds good to me.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 17:28:25
Lay's introduced three types of new chips this past week.  The attached article shows their rating.  The chicken and waffles rated the worst.  I happen to like the real chicken and waffles I got at Roscoes in LA.  The Sirachi which is apparently a Thai version rated the highest.  You be the judge.

I will probably try the chicken and waffles and then probably throw them out.  I just got through having Lay's ruffles with some of my home made hot salsa with my 5:00PM cocktail..

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/reviewed_chips_new_chicken_waffles_rXTWfymK9Fi6vWHa47CRyL

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 17:36:18
I'll probably never try them.  I don't even "get" the idea of real chicken and waffles.  I like chicken, I like waffles but the combo just seems strange to me.  But then, I'm from Pittsburgh where they put french fries on just about everything........also strange!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 18:22:13
lleechef

I'll probably never try them.  I don't even "get" the idea of real chicken and waffles.  I like chicken, I like waffles but the combo just seems strange to me.  But then, I'm from Pittsburgh where they put french fries on just about everything........also strange!

Lisa: My brother and I was racing at Pomona for the NHRA spring race and we had some time off on Friday morning before the race and we drove into LA to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle's.  I ordered two chicken thighs, waffles and syrup.  I had never had that combination before although I had chicken with honey.  Very prevalent in the south.  The combination really worked.  Slightly saltly, sweet, buttery and it was good.  I would go back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe's_House_of_Chicken_and_Waffles

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 18:42:13
Paul,
I will definitely try chicken and waffles one of these days just out of curiosity.  Also in the spirit of being a good Roadfooder!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 20:45:21
I come from PA where chicken and waffles consists of pieces of chicken in chicken gravy poured over a waffle, so maybe they would be good with a little chicken gravy poured over them!
However, now living in the Phoenix area, LoLo's Chicken and waffles are pretty good but I refuse to put syrup on the chicken.  i eat them separately.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/20 20:47:25
Paul, did you have both chicken and waffle on your fork at the same time?

I've been to Roscoe's several times although I don't find it outstanding.  I eat the chicken and then the waffle or the other way around... not both at the same time as on that chip.
bwave
Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/21 01:45:27
Am I the only one that doesn't like Lay's chips?  I think it's the sunflower seed oil they use?   Utz & Herr's are so much better in my opinion.    Only wish they made Utz Carolina BBQ chips in bigger bags!

SeamusD
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/21 09:25:38
Mar, my flavors didn't get picked either, and one is more of a universal American taste than chicken and waffles or sriracha.

I'll try the new flavors if someone I know buys a bag and they have it open and offer me some, I probably wouldn't buy them though.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/21 10:20:39
bwave

Am I the only one that doesn't like Lay's chips?  I think it's the sunflower seed oil they use?   Utz & Herr's are so much better in my opinion.    Only wish they made Utz Carolina BBQ chips in bigger bags!

I'll agree,the only thing from that mega company I'll eat is Sun chips....Herr's is the best!!!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/21 10:52:01
Wise chips are not so too good.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/21 20:37:51
My kids bought some C&W chips tonight-
I do like real C&W
the chips were awful
they tasted like a hint of fake Mrs. butterworth syrup with just a wisp of salt to me.
(Full disclosure -I only eat real maple syrup)
Maybe they would have been better with more salt.
I don't know what I expected them to taste like but I ate 1/2 of one chip and will never eat another one 
A.W.F.U.L.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/22 08:25:39
While Bob was working in China, he picked up two flavors of Lays for me-blueberry and lobster. The blueberry were good-almost a hint of blue cheese. Lobster were chemical tasting. I may try the chicken and waffle flavor.
brisketboy
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/22 09:42:54
Give me a bag of Zapps and a cold beer and I'm content.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/22 10:06:29
I expected the ingredient list to be worse than this:
Ingredients:  POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (SUNFLOWER, CORN, AND/OR CANOLA OIL), CHICKEN & WAFFLES SEASONING (BROWN SUGAR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTODEXTRIN (MADE FROM CORN), SOYBEAN OIL, YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR (INCLUDING CHICKEN FLAVOR), GUM ACACIA, ONION POWDER, SKIM MILK, SPICES, CARAMEL COLOR, MIXED TRIGLYCERIDES, GARLIC POWDER, AND PAPRIKA). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK INGREDIENTS.
They are often quite generous with their MSG, but I don't see it here.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/23 08:34:41
I tried the chicken and waffles chips yesterday.  Gave the bag away after eating a few.  Not bad.  Just tasteless.  No salt at all.  They were excessively mild and had maybe a hint of maple syrup flavor to them--but just a hint.  I couldn't taste the chicken at all.  (Maybe the tasting like chicken part is an inside joke at Lays.)

Perhaps someday Lays will come out with a Chinese Mustard flavored chip.  At least no one will be able to say that it tastes like chicken.

post edited by Louis - 2013/02/23 08:37:03
Poverty Pete
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/23 08:52:28
Louis, that's a great idea.  You should go to work as a flavor consultant to Frito-Lay.  Bring up the possibility of wasabi-ginger when you get there.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/23 09:02:12
Stuffing & cranberry sauce would be good. They'd have to be on Ruffles...because of the lines that are a must with cranberry sauce.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/23 10:53:01
Lines? Excellent!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/23 23:47:04
irisarbor was kind enough to bring a bag of the new Chicken & Waffles Chips to today's Contingent Tour of Des Plaines.  There was a universal "meh" response.

There was a slight hint of maple syrup and an overtone of the malt like flavor you'd typically find in a good waffle.  After that there was a vague savoriness that one assumes was meant to replicate the flavor of chicken, but you only made that association because the word "Chicken" is in the name of the product.

All in all, an inoffensive experience not worth repeating.

Buddy
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 01:54:19
McRib woulda been a contender.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 13:46:34
Pete, if Lays wants to hire me as a flavor consultant.  They know how to find me.  Just come this site.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 14:00:14
You all havent had flavors since the 3rd world.........honestly-flavors would blow you away......
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 14:25:04
BuddyRoadhouse

irisarbor was kind enough to bring a bag of the new Chicken & Waffles Chips to today's Contingent Tour of Des Plaines.  There was a universal "meh" response.

They weren't nearly as disgusting as I expected.  I kinda took a shine to them after my 10th handful.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 16:00:24
Yeah, but did you lick the chicken/waffle/salty chip residue off your hand?  That's the real test of whether or not you liked them.

Buddy
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/24 16:28:49
Did Clark Griswald stop "Vacationing" and come out of retirement?
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/26 11:46:13
The funny thing is, when I came home one of the twins asked 
"where did the C&W chips go?"
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/26 12:52:56
They haven't reached my area yet but I'm not a fan of Lays products anyway. I usually go for Herrs or Utz
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/26 18:06:41
My mother liked potato chips but went on a low sodium diet, so I would buy her Lay's low salt.  Not bad.  I'm not a chip eater, but I do occasionally like Cape Cod chips.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/26 20:08:30
When I spend time in central PA, I can't resist Diefenbchs. Absolutely no good for me but...with a six pack of Trooegs fresh from the brewery...
ken8038
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/28 15:06:03
Just bought a bag of the Sriracha and a bag of the Chicken & Waffles on sale @ (I think) 2 for $5 at Shoprite in Garwood NJ, and now comes this thread. Always looking to try something new. Haven't tried them yet, maybe tonight.

According to that NY Post article (which quotes the F-L website) they are not availble within a 50 mile radius of Manhattan. Wrong, Garwood's 25 miles away and they are here.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/28 18:17:36
I haven't seen them here. Well then...forget the chicken & waffle chips. They can keep them.

I'm happy with my favorite Utz Salt & Pepper chips.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/02/28 18:41:32
Because not for nothin' but there were 3.8 million entries...and a finalist is cheesy garlic bread.
ken8038
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/02 17:16:17
Re: The Chicken and Waffle chips. They have now been tried by us. Unanimous verdict here (daughter is visiting this weekend, we are 4 again), "What were they thinking, these are awful".  The Sriracha...OK, not great.

Poverty Pete
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/03 15:27:42
I decided to take one for the team.  My hand refused my order to pick up the bag of C&W chips, but I managed to get some cheesygarlicbread chips into the cart.

They weren't inedible. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/03 15:44:09
If I could find a bag I'd put it in the street...and drive right over it.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 12:49:59
The Lay's Sriracha flavor was suggested by a (relatively) local boy going to school at Illinois State in Bloomington-Normal.  Here is an article about it (and him):  http://herald-review.com/news/local/spicy-sriracha-chip-has-isu-student-in-running-for-lay/article_fbf11a44-7e42-11e2-aa8c-0019bb2963f4.html
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 15:52:57
CCinNJ

If I could find a bag I'd put it in the street...and drive right over it.

Have you tried them?  If so, I can understand your feelings and if not, I would have to ask you why you would drive over them?

I have not tried them personally and quite frankly I am not sure that I would like them if I tried them but I would have to personally try them before I could bash them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

agnesrob
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 19:00:48
Haven't seen them around me. I do love the Chicken in a Biscuit crackers, though. Maybe a little too much!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 19:05:26
We're in the no chip zone..Agnes.

I'll find them...eventually.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 21:07:06
Pie Diva bought the Cheesy Garlic Bread variety today.  Can you say Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner?  These are really, really, really good.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/04 21:25:37
I thought the cheesy garlic bread chips were good.  They needed a little zip to them.  I bought a very small bag, and I found that as I got toward the bottom of it that I was getting a little tired of the chip.  But I imagine it will be the most popular chip of the three, mainly because most people have tasted that flavor before.

I thought the Sriracha was the best flavor, mainly because it was distinctive enough to set it apart from Lay's other hot flavors.  I think the Sriracha flavor would go over better if Lay's would give it another name.  No matter where I went, those bags just sat on the shelves around here (in Kentucky), mainly because, I think, that nobody had ever seen the word before.

Was it something hot?  Or fishy?  Or mustard-tasting?  No clues were given to what Sriacha was.  I was given the impression that Lay's research department didn't do their job.  But if the company brings back the flavor with another name, I think it might do well.

post edited by Louis - 2013/03/04 21:27:21
chefbuba
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/17 16:01:20
I tried them yesterday, slight artificial maple taste at first, then the waffle taste after you have had a few.......No chicken taste that I could decern.
No thanks......I'll stick to my Ruffles when I want to have a chip.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/17 16:42:20
Strangely enough I have not seen one bag of any of the flavors in any of the stores I've been in... in the Los Angeles area.

I would have tried them if they bag was small enough.

But non-existent makes it impossible.
SeamusD
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/20 15:40:16
I hear through the grapevine that they're coming out with Tapatio flavored Lays and Cheetos. A bottle of Tapatio lasts about a week in my house, I can't wait to try the chips and Cheetos.
SeamusD
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/20 16:10:05
They made Tapatio Fritos and Doritos I guess, but I'd never heard they did and never saw any.

Does he work for Frito-Lay in any capacity? I get put in advertisements for my company all the time, and I'm no model.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/20 17:22:44
How about Fish & Chips chips ???
Robitussin chips ???
???
Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/20 19:04:18
Squirt some Sriracha sauce on any potato chip.  Instantly better.  No new flavor from Lay's needed.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/20 19:13:20
I don't know too much about him but I don't think he's a model or works for Frito-Lay.

One last look in the grocery store today and they still weren't there but I did see Tapatio Doritos.

Porker Chips would be a good name, but no one would buy them.
chefbuba
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/21 00:51:11
Our frito guy gave us a bag of all three today, i tried the C&W the other day, they sucked, Garlic Bread sucked, Siracha wern't bad.
post edited by chefbuba - 2013/03/21 00:52:24
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/21 13:17:13
I agree, Adjudicator. My uncle taught me that years ago. Even a regular, favorite hot sauce will do.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/21 14:00:20
Even better on pork rinds.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:chicken and waffles lays potatoe chips ? 2013/03/21 14:21:49
Oh, yes, Mar! Even better....I like the cracklin's better. Brought home a ton from the south. Just a bit tougher with a great snap....