Hobart Meat Tenderizer

Filet Mignon
2013/02/25 08:29:34
Is anyone here using a Hobart Meat Tenderizer? I have always wanted one and yesterday bought an older one that was on Craigslist. It is very very quiet and all the teeth are straight and so is the comb. If you have one what are you using it for and yes I know what they do but what is your favorite use? meat type etc.
Here's a picture.

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/02/25 20:42:56
i need one of those for tenderloins.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/02/25 20:52:20
Hi Jack, I used one years ago, we made our Chicken fried steaks with them using top round. I dredged them in seasoned flour and fried with clarified butter on the flattop grill. The people loved them best seller, great plate coverage. They do jam up if the beef is to thick, it takes a bit of knowing when its to large of a piece.........Bill
post edited by pnwchef - 2013/02/25 21:10:57
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/02/26 11:20:22
Kenny B,
Start looking now it has taken me forever to find this one. Or you can go on Ebay and pay $800.00 to $1400.00 and I didn't want to do that. LOL

Chef how thick is too thick? And while I have your attention if I'm making Pork Chops from a whole loin, what are the advantages or disadvantages of just slightly freezing the loin and running the loin through a meat slicer vs a butterfly cut.
jack
pnwchef
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/02/27 09:25:52
Kenny.. why do you need to tenderize tenderloins, just pound then flat. I a rounded ladle to pound flat chicken breasts and porkloins. the meat s/b tender enough to pound, and not tenderize or cube.........

Hi Jack, sorry I missed this yesterday. first up the porkchop, I figure we are talking boneless porkloin ?????????.........if yes, the pork loin is easy to cut, the knife goes through them easy. I could cut the whole loin while your setting the meat slicer, never mind the time cleaning it.............A butterfly cut to me is when you have a thick Filet cut, then cut in half 3/4 of the way and cook. This isn't something I do, I want it think and juicy. If I have a piece of meat that to think, I will mark the meat and then put off direct heat to slow cook without over cooking and drying out the outside layer...........imho, if you ever want the best way to cook a pork chop, it's apple Brine, dbl cut bone-in, chine and feather bones removed, marked on a hot grill then put off of direct heat. It then can be basted with apple juice to keep the outside from drying out while the inside cooks until done............about 150 degrees........

Jack, what you have is a tenderizer/cuber I use to use top round cut from a 25lb top round. I would slice about 1/2 to 3/4" slices then cut the pieces into smaller pieces to equal the size and weight I wanted for the chicken fried steaks. I would run the meat through the cuber one way the turn it a half turn and run it through again, as in cubing...........I would not mistake this for a steak tenderizer like something with needles,but more like a cuber to tenderize tough cuts of meat to cube to break down the fibers and tendons in the meat. The Hobart you bought should have two round grooved rollers that the meat goes through and then drops down through the bottom. the only problem I had was when the meat was to think, or trying to use a bigger round chunk of meat from the end of the round that was tough. In most cases, if it looks like it will jam, it will. I would also make sure all the fat is trimmed, the fat that grown through the cuber only gets bigger and flatter after it cubes..............you can also take smaller pieces of meat, run through the cuber together to make one piece............If you need to call me for Tech support, I am located in India, where all the  American job openings are located.

Disclaimer: If Jack follows what I tell him he will be fine. If Jack puts his fingers our any hanging or protruding body part into the tenderizer/cuber, I am in no way libel.
DawnT
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/03/02 22:18:46
They're pretty common down here in most any latin market in the meat department for making Palomilla steaks from rotary sliced pieces of round tip or round top and run through the tenderizer.

The thin steaks are either grilled or pan fried at searing high heat or breaded and deep fried. Some marinate the steaks, some deglaze the pan with lime juice or use a prepared mojo to deglaze and pour over the steak, others do neither.

Serve with a mixed garnish of finely chopped onion and parsely and either fried bananas or very thinly cut french fries.

These make a great steak sandwich.

mobilechef
Junior Burger
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/03/12 06:05:22
They are great for tenderizing alligator tail here in Florida and I have a friend that uses one in Louisiana also. The older ones are better than the new ones. I would not trade mine for two new ones.
edwmax
Re:Hobart Meat Tenderizer 2013/03/12 07:02:19
DawnT

They're pretty common down here in most any latin market in the meat department for making Palomilla steaks from rotary sliced pieces of round tip or round top and run through the tenderizer.

The thin steaks are either grilled or pan fried at searing high heat or breaded and deep fried. Some marinate the steaks, some deglaze the pan with lime juice or use a prepared mojo to deglaze and pour over the steak, others do neither.

Serve with a mixed garnish of finely chopped onion and parsely and either fried bananas or very thinly cut french fries.

These make a great steak sandwich.

I'm doing 10lbs of chicken fried tonight.