Where to post outdated restaurant listings?

ROHfan
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points : 0
Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Tue, 03/5/13 5:50 PM
So my family and I, based on the great reviews here on RF and the fact that it's listed in the restaurant database, traveled to Mt. Cobb Family Restaurant in Lake Ariel, PA, only to find it has been closed for over two years.

Did I somehow miss this information anywhere? Maybe there's a way the list can be updated? Just wonderin! Anyway, got to check out the Glider Diner instead and the roast beef sandwich was amazing! Melt-in-your-mouth tender with gravy to die for!

Bill

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9808
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Wed, 03/6/13 8:40 AM
ROHfan-
Over the years, I have also come across a few Roadfood restaurants that are listed in the database that are now closed.  When that happens, I just contact Restaurant and Review Editor Bruce Bilmes, who then archives the review. 

Too bad about Mt. Cobb Family Restaurant, which I never had a chance to visit.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3588
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Wed, 03/6/13 11:29 AM
ROHFan--
It seems usually that someone like you just visits a place, lets Bruce know and he takes care of it. That happened with me with one of my favorite places in Robertsdale, AL just a few weeks ago. In fact, I think it was buffetbuster and ChiTownDiner who visited it and found out they had closed. They told me, I contacted Bruce with the sad updated info and he removed the review promptly. Just the luck of the draw that you might have been the first Roadfood visitor since they closed, but by posting this, you helped the whole Roadfood community. If you haven't, send a private message or email to Bruce and he will handle it. Thanks for letting all of us know. 

Ed

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Wed, 03/6/13 12:46 PM
I've already archived the review. Thanks for the update ROHfan. Sorry you made the Mt Cobb trip for naught.

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Wed, 03/6/13 3:27 PM
Lesson learned: before heading out anyplace, check it in Urbanspoon, which seems to get much more regular updates from users about closing, and give 'em a phone call.

ROHfan
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Wed, 03/6/13 8:06 PM
Heartbreaksoup

Lesson learned: before heading out anyplace, check it in Urbanspoon, which seems to get much more regular updates from users about closing, and give 'em a phone call.

Will do so in the future. I hope my post didn't come off as arrogant as that was not my intent. I was just trying to contribute to the forum instead of just taking from it which I usually, embarrassingly, do. I've had far too many great experiences because of this site to get soured on the one bad experience that I should have researched first. Thanks, Bruce, for updating the restaurant listing.

Incidentally, the Mt. Cobb Family Restaurant was replaced by The Waymart Hotel Restaurant which was very good. Their specialty is a square pizza with sweet tomato sauce and American cheese (to me, that's not really pizza, so we passed on that.)

However, we (me, wife and 2 kids) had what was possibly the perfect breakfast there. You had a choice of home fries or hash browns, we chose the latter which were thin and amazingly crispy, just how we like it! Eggs were very fresh and the bacon, although a tad too crispy at one of our two trips there, was thick with a nice mellow smoke flavor that tasted what you would expect country bacon to taste like. The coffee, which was always kept full thanks to the waitress, was to die for. My daughter is obsessed with their pancakes.

The Glider, what can I say? Roast beef with gravy was the best I've ever had of that variety. My only gripe was that it could have been a bigger sammich, but for the price, I ain't complaining. I didn't think a roast beef sandwich would come any closer to the amazing one I often have at Brennan and Carr's in Brooklyn but the Glider's version, although a different kind of sandwich, is now in the top five of my favorite sandwiches ever. Service at the Glider was pretty fast and very courteous. I read somewhere that Obama and Clinton had eaten there on separate occasions, fyi.

Damn, this Roadfooding is gettin' me fat!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Where to post outdated restaurant listings? - Thu, 03/7/13 9:49 AM
ROHfan

Damn, this Roadfooding is gettin' me fat!
That just means you're doing it right.