Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Wed, 03/6/13 1:40 PM (permalink)
This post is more for driving directions than anything else, but of course any dining suggestions will be much appreciated!

For those of you familiar with the area, what's likely to be the easiest (doesn't have to be the shortest) way to get from Madison, IN (I'm having a Hinkle's burger for breakfast) to Lebanon, OH in mid-July?  I'd like to avoid the Cincinnati interstates and other areas of heavy traffic if at all possible and I'll have plenty of time to make the trip, so I'm open to all suggestions.  Except, perhaps, one of a walking tour of Over-The-Rhine.

Thanks!

buckeye_bob

• Total Posts: 4
    Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Wed, 03/6/13 5:02 PM (permalink)
    Hey there, SC. 

First time post, been a behind the scenes kind of a guy here for a long time and thought I'd chime in.

Seems to me, a fairly decent route avoiding going through downtown Cincy, and over-the-crime, is taking US 421 North out of Madison, to Versailles IN, about 25 miles. You'll pick up US Route 50 heading East out of Versailles. You'll pick-up I-275 N about 26 or 27 mi out of Versailles.
    I-275 N and exit at (43 B) 75 N towards Dayton, OH. 75 N 12.5 mi, take exit 29 to US 63 East. 63 East (7 miles) will take you right into beautiful downtown Lebanon.

A couple dining suggestions for you below, in downtown Lebanon.

Lebanon is best known for The Golden Lamb Restaurant and Inn, Ohio's oldest continuously run hotel since 1803.  www.goldenlamb.com

In addition, there's The Breakfast Club Cafe just north of the Golden Lamb on Broadway.
    www.breakfastclubcafe.com

Hope this helps, and have fun in my home town!

buffetbuster

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Wed, 03/6/13 5:08 PM (permalink)
      Great first post buckeye_bob.  Welcome to Roadfood!

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
        Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 12:49 AM (permalink)
        The route given above is good, it goes fast and it is preferable to I-71/75.

Breakfast Club is a solid recommendation. It's basic diner style food. Another similar and newer possibility is 180 Cafe which is on the next block south on the same side of N. Broadway. Both places close in the early afternoon.

Porky Capone's is OK to good barbecue. They always have pulled pork but other stuff like brisket is inconsistently available.

I don't recommend Patriot Steakhouse (too inconsistent and we did not have a good experience the one time we ate there), Doc's Tavern (the service often sucks), or Mio's Pizza (the service is pretty exasperating and I wrote off the place long ago.)  Seeger's Deli is OK for sandwiches but I am never that thrilled with their hot food specials. They have quite a following on food review sites but I don't get it.
        <message edited by donw9876 on Thu, 03/7/13 12:52 AM>

ScreamingChicken

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 9:27 AM (permalink)
          Welcome, Bob, and thanks everybody for the ideas!

We ate at Breakfast Club a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, so maybe this year I'll see if the group is interested in trying 180 Cafe.

We also tried to get to Porky Capone's but got there a few minutes after they closed.  My local contact has eaten there a few times and agrees with your opinion, Don.

We've actually been to Mio's more than any other place and yes, the service can be a bit...unhurried.  The trick is to order 2 beers at a time.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
            In looking at Google Maps I see that if I continue past I-275 on US-50 I'll come to the Stateline Restaurant, and then I can take Kilby Road north to I-275 from there.  Has anyone ever eaten here?

Also, is the US-42/Lebanon Rd. construction finished?  I could take an afternoon break at the Rootbeer Stand in Sharonville.

Every time I get to this part of my trip my mind locks up over the myriad of different ways to get from Point A to Point B...

buffetbuster

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 2:06 PM (permalink)
              SC-
              You may want to call ahead for the Root Beer Stand.  Not 100% sure, but I think they close for the Winter.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 2:30 PM (permalink)
                If you do use the I-275 to I-75 route, Don't forget JUNGLE JIM's, just a couple of miles off I-275 on Ohio-4 heading for Fairfield. Well worth a stop at a real "unusual" Market.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                  Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/7/13 2:33 PM (permalink)
                  I'm thinking about a stop at Jungle Jim's next month when I make my annual trek to Dayton.  There is a new location on the east side, but I'll go to the original.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                    Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Fri, 03/8/13 9:49 AM (permalink)
                    If you have never been to the Cincy area and have not been to Jungle Jim's you must go.

RKB

• Total Posts: 167
                      Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Fri, 03/8/13 5:41 PM (permalink)
                      donw9876

The route given above is good, it goes fast and it is preferable to I-71/75.

Breakfast Club is a solid recommendation. It's basic diner style food. Another similar and newer possibility is 180 Cafe which is on the next block south on the same side of N. Broadway. Both places close in the early afternoon.

Porky Capone's is OK to good barbecue. They always have pulled pork but other stuff like brisket is inconsistently available.

I don't recommend Patriot Steakhouse (too inconsistent and we did not have a good experience the one time we ate there), Doc's Tavern (the service often sucks), or Mio's Pizza (the service is pretty exasperating and I wrote off the place long ago.)  Seeger's Deli is OK for sandwiches but I am never that thrilled with their hot food specials. They have quite a following on food review sites but I don't get it.

+1 on avoiding the Patriot. Overpriced and oversalted steaks, and an owner who does not care about his customers.

donw9876

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Fri, 03/8/13 10:44 PM (permalink)
                        RKB
                        +1 on avoiding the Patriot. Overpriced and oversalted steaks, and an owner who does not care about his customers.

I agree with all of that. We had a tough order of ribs and the owner came table to table to talk to guests, I mentioned it, he even agreed that the ribs were sub-par that night, and he didn't offer any kind of gesture to make it right. Patriot coasts along on local hicks who don't know any better.

There is also a decent new Asian (Japanese, Thai, Chinese) place in town called Asian Gourmet - http://www.myasiangourmet.com. I have seen some negative postings on social media about their service and they do sometimes have some kinks in that area, but the food across three visits has been quite good. I had salmon sushi this evening that was quite good and was a bargain at 5.50 for 6 pieces.

There aren't any transcendentally great, "I'd drive 100 miles to that place" type joints in Lebanon but there are a few decent places.
                        <message edited by donw9876 on Fri, 03/8/13 11:09 PM>

• Total Posts: 335
                          Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sat, 03/9/13 1:58 AM (permalink)
                          donw9876

I googled Porky Capone's, and the address is 118 W. Main Street--which, last I checked, was for a combination Shell gas station/IGA mini grocery!

• Total Posts: 335
                            Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sat, 03/9/13 2:01 AM (permalink)
                            ScreamingChicken

We've actually been to Mio's more than any other place and yes, the service can be a bit...unhurried.  The trick is to order 2 beers at a time.

Didn't I read here on Roadfood that this Mio's closed?  I'm assuming you're talking about the one at 402 N. Broadway/OH 48.

donw9876

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sat, 03/9/13 3:50 AM (permalink)

I googled Porky Capone's, and the address is 118 W. Main Street--which, last I checked, was for a combination Shell gas station/IGA mini grocery!

That's the place!

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
                                Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sat, 03/9/13 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                ScreamingChicken

Except, perhaps, one of a walking tour of Over-The-Rhine. 

buckeye_bob

over-the-crime

While I don't begrudge anyone wanting to avoid the city traffic, this type of attitude is keeping you both from experiencing some of the best new restaurants in the city. Sadly, too many people are absolutely certain that they will be shot if they venture too close to OTR, and refuse to be convinced otherwise.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                  Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sat, 03/9/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                  its true.....several very good eateries are popping up in a particular 2 block stretch of over-the-rhine - there are still very rough blocks in there too, but that little heavily gentrified stretch is pretty safe

my fave is a tavola pizza, but i also love the short rib poutine just a few steps away at senate

ScreamingChicken

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sun, 03/10/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                    (duplicate message deleted)
                                    <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Sun, 03/10/13 12:22 PM>

ScreamingChicken

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sun, 03/10/13 12:21 PM (permalink)

ScreamingChicken

Didn't I read here on Roadfood that this Mio's closed?  I'm assuming you're talking about the one at 402 N. Broadway/OH 48.
                                      Yes, that's the one.  I think the last time I was there was in 2011 so I can't say...I'll have to ask.

dlawson

ScreamingChicken

Except, perhaps, one of a walking tour of Over-The-Rhine. 

buckeye_bob

over-the-crime
                                      While I don't begrudge anyone wanting to avoid the city traffic, this type of attitude is keeping you both from experiencing some of the best new restaurants in the city. Sadly, too many people are absolutely certain that they will be shot if they venture too close to OTR, and refuse to be convinced otherwise.
                                      Just a little tongue-in-cheek recognition of OTR's reputation.  I'm sure there are many other parts of Cincinnati that I'd avoid with equal fervor.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                                        Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Sun, 03/10/13 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                        Give it 2-3 years and OTR will be the most darling (and $$$) neighborhood in the area. I'd go right now...without even blinking.

http://www.blogotr.com/ot...s-restaurant-hot-spot/

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Tue, 03/12/13 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                          Ok Brad YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

You are now in my corner (and I Do mean corner) of the world.

Question #1  How hungry are you?
                                          Question #2  How hungry do you get between stops?
                                          Question #3  Do you like Fried Chicken?
                                          Question #3A  Do you mind having fried chicken often?
                                          Question #4  Do you want quick?
                                          Question #5  Do you want easy?
                                          Question #6  Do you want to see a beautiful corner of Indiana/ Ohio?

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Tue, 03/12/13 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                            Route #1

US 421 North out of Madison to Napoleon, Indiana
                                            Bonaparte's - Really Good Fried Chicken
                                            From Napoleon E on SR 48 to SR 129 turn left and head into Batesville.
                                            when 129 ends now the fun begins and your decision making skills come into play.
                                            Question:  Are you ready for more chicken or more driving?
                                            Chicken of course is the correct answer.
                                            This will take the "short" route to Lebanon.
                                            TURN Right onto SR 46 and Head east until you hit PENNTOWN
                                            Yes that is right it's time for more chicken. 
                                            The Old Brick in PennTown.
                                            After more chicken you will still head East on SR46 to you come to SR 1
                                            You come to 52 head east to Brookville
                                            Now its only been about 20-30 minutes since your last chicken stop so question is...
                                            Is it time for more chicken??
                                            Hell YES!!
                                            Ye Olde Shack - Brookville
                                            After another fine example of SE IN fried chicken, you will jump int your car and head E on SR 252, this will turn into Hamilton/Scipio Rd and your drive into Millville (2 HUGE Adult toy stores there)
                                            North on 129 then East on Rt 4
                                            (You are close to Jungle Jim's if you need to walk off some excess chicken weight)
                                            East again on OH 63 right into downtown Lebanon.

Route #2

This one you will need:

These printed directions
                                            Appetite
                                            bread crumbs (in case you get lost)
                                            sense of direction or humor
                                            and a willingness to abandon caution and say the heck with it lets go exploring.

Head North on US 421 to Napoleon
                                            Bonaparte's Retreat - Durn good chicken
                                            E on Sr 48 to SR 129
                                            N on SR 129 to Batesville (this is the point the trips split apart)
                                            LEFT on SR 46 into Batesville
                                            Right on SR 229 to OLDENBURG
                                            your choice of 2 OUTSTANDING chicken places
                                            Wagner's or Brauhaus
                                            After devouring some chicken head north on SR 229
                                            Then right turn onto US 52 come into the quaint little town of metamora and go to Grannie's Cookie Jar
                                            This place is part ice cream stand/ candy store and part cokkie jar museum (over 2500 cookie jars on display)
                                            Metamora is a great place to walk around and see history alive)
                                            http://www.metamoraindiana.com
                                            After walking off your chicken and ice cream a bit time to jump into the jalopy and head East on US 52 into Brookville

Dont worry intrepid traveller I told you this was the OTHER route SO................

You can stop in Brookville for more chicken like trip #1 or you can enjoy the break and enjoy the view.
                                            Left onto SR 101 into Liberty, IN
                                            You got it right time for MORE CHICKEN
                                            Liberty Belle Restaurant
                                            When 101 and 44 intersect head East on 44
                                            44 will jig to the left at the OH State line and magically become
                                            OH 725 corntinue East
                                            You will come to the beautiful town of Camden
                                            Are you ready for more ICE CREAM??
                                            YES!! YOU ARE
                                            Depot Dairy Bar - Yummmmmmmm
                                            After Brainfreeze backtrack a few blocks (breadcrumbs come in handy)
                                            and take US 127 South until you come to OH 73
                                            HEAD EAST
                                            You come into TRENTON, OH
                                            Home of not so much in the way of good food
                                            Mutt's Brewery is OK, but they call themselves a "brewery" because they are located right next to the MILLER Brand Brewery.
                                            OH 73 is Oxford State Rd to stay on it E until you come to
                                            Wright Brother's Memorial Parkway and head south
                                            You will come to Le Sourdsville
                                            Once home to Americana Amusement Park (The Po Folks King's Island)
                                            Head East on OH 63 and after going through Monroe you will come to Lebanon

ScreamingChicken

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Wed, 03/13/13 9:23 AM (permalink)
                                              Holy cow, CK...did you down a pot of coffee before you sat down to type that?!?

Thanks for all the suggestions and yes, I've been keeping the thought of a chicken stop or 2 in my mind.  Carolina Bob and I ate at Wagner's last year so that's off the list for this year, but you've certainly listed plenty of other possibilities.  Ye Olde Shack has a most unusual review (possibly NSFW) on Google...

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/14/13 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                Brad

No coffee, just love traveling the back roads around here.

If you liked Wagner's then Brau House is very similar.  I did a double check on Ye Olde Shack, and my new opinion... SKIP IT.

Replace it with The Pioneer.  They have REALLY good chicken and cold beer.  The shack has had some owner issues and from looking at the "review" you mentioned I had to laugh. 

The Pioneer is really good chicken, and really good food too.
                                                Homemade sides, desserts, they also have a BPT that would make Davydd's mouth water.

donw9876

Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 03/14/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ye Olde Shack Google review...LOL. Someone's mad.

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Fri, 03/29/13 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                                    ScreamingChicken

In looking at Google Maps I see that if I continue past I-275 on US-50 I'll come to the Stateline Restaurant, and then I can take Kilby Road north to I-275 from there.  Has anyone ever eaten here?

Also, is the US-42/Lebanon Rd. construction finished?  I could take an afternoon break at the Rootbeer Stand in Sharonville.

Every time I get to this part of my trip my mind locks up over the myriad of different ways to get from Point A to Point B...

The stateline is an old greasy spoon, typical "diner" breakfast.  The food is decent.

If you are thinking of that path, then stay on US 50 to Cleves, left on OH 128 stay on OH 128 until you hit Hamilton, turn right on OH 129, cross the river take a left onto RT 4, then onto RT 63 and you will  hit Lebanon.  This path is very scenic and you travel along the river into hamilton.

I told you this is my corner of the world

CajunKing

• Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Mon, 04/1/13 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      Brad

I forgot to mention if you go through Aurora you can stop at the "Great Crescent Brewery".

www.gcbeer.com

Aurora was once bigger than STL in beer production and rivaled neighboring Lawrenceburg (Seagrams & Schenley) in whiskey production.

They make some mighty fine beer.  If the hours dont fit into your schedule, call Dan and he is usually in the brew room and if your nice he will let you in.

They are in the process of installing a new canner demand has grown BIG TIME.  He almost needs a bigger place already.

HBBQ-TonyB

• Total Posts: 3
                                                        Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 05/30/13 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm a little late to the party but better late than never..

Asian Gourmet - I have only been there a few times but the food was good both times, no complaints.
                                                        Seeger's Deli - Good sandwiches, if you are going to be doing any cooking while in town their meat is also pretty good.
                                                        180 Cafe - They recently renamed to "The Nook Cafe". I haven't tried it yet but have heard good things.

The Patriot - Looks like I am in the minority on this one but I have never had any problems here.  I don't go regulatory but every time I have gone the service and food were both good.  They also have a larger beer selection than other restaurants in town.

I'm a little bios but if you are looking for BBQ you should check us out, Historic BBQ (  Right now the only date we have scheduled in July is the 19th but I'm sure we will be adding dates to that as we get closer. 

donw9876

• Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                          Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Fri, 05/31/13 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                                          Tony, I saw your truck sitting in one of the business's parking lots on Columbus Avenue last night. Are you just mobile or do you plan a store?

I hope you can get into the Warren County Fair so we can try you out.

ScreamingChicken

• Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                            Re:Madison, IN to Lebanon, OH Thu, 06/13/13 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            4 weeks and counting...the big question is, "How do I get CajunKing to pay for my chicken?"

Tony, unfortunately your website shows you being out of town the second weekend in July so I might have to wait until 2014 to pay you a visit.  But thanks for the recommendation for 180 Cafe; that might be a late breakfast stop while I'm there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com