Colorado Vendor?

Cheeseburger
2013/03/20 21:35:49
Are there any Hot Dog Cart vendors making a decent living in Colorado. I'm not interested in Biker Jim selling Rattle Snake and Armadillo hot dogs. I mean a hot dog vendor selling hot dogs bratwurst, maybe tamales, or precooked hamburgers that is not within 100 miles of the Denver area.

The only person who could help me is someone making it in an area of 90,000 people or less, especially from the western slope.

If I couldn't sell hot dogs in New York, I'd jump off of the Brooklyn Bridge.

Very interested in seeing if anyone in an area like I'm in is making any money. Would be a big encouragement to me.
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 00:47:09
Brick, have you exhausted all avenues in your area? Have you gone to the parks & rec dept to see if there is any opportunity with them?
Are there kids in Fruita? Do they play soccer or other sports? Do they need food at these events? I vended for the youth soccer, cleaned up every Saturday for 3 months, then went into the pee wee football, same thing for 2 months.
How about the high school for baseball or football games? 
Is there a farmers market? Do they allow food vendors?
Where I used to live, (15,000 population)
Saturday Market had about 10 food vendors, they cleaned up $$
We have a huge Saturday market here, with only two food vendors, I think I'm going to vend at it this year.

Have you tried to work in Colorado Springs? What is it, 15-20 miles?
Look for some of these same opportunities there also. Something is wrong if you can't sell a hot dog.
Stick with hot dogs on your hot dog cart. That's what I would be going to a hot dog cart for, not pre cooked frozen steam heated soggy burgers or frozen tamales.
Where I live, the population is listed as 4417, and I can earn a living here.
djdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 03:30:12
brick...I stumbled - purely on accident mostly - selling to larger businesses.  Are there any manufacturing plants close by?  I would go for any with 300 people or more...if they don't have a cafeteria, even better.  Tell the HR person it doesn't cost them a dime and it gives the employees an alternative to fast food and brown bagging. 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 14:01:53
Buba, 
Big Downtown Farmers Market Thursday nights in Grand Junction, 12 miles or so from my town of Fruita Colorado, going 5 till 9. I booked to play music a couple of times a season for a couple of years. I got $150 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Now they pay a lot less and have many who are glad to play for free just to play music.

They had food vendors when I played music. When I got my cart all ready to go last year I called and spoke to the honcho in charge. She said they are not booking food vendors any more. I'm sure the restaurants complained to the "Downtown Development Authority" and they run the whole downtown.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the person in charge of little league. She has two vendors for baseball. I asked about soccer, she doesn't know who's in charge of that. I attended a Saturday last fall and no vendors were at soccer. I need to check that out.

I did Habitat for Humanity several Fridays and Saturdays last fall. It's a very swanky place. They have brand new delivery trucks, and the building isn't very old and looks very clean. The Parking lot is full all day 6 days a week. People in and out all day. I think my best day was maybe $35 gross.

I did Walgreen's last fall until my lines started freezing. They won't let me put up a tent to heat. I can only use my umbrella. Three months there 6 days a week other than the time I spent at the Habitat location and the best day, only once I hit $95 gross sales. The next best day was $77. Most days were between $10 - $35.

Some people came back and said they loved my hot dogs they were the best. I use Nathans. The problem is there were only 20 or so regulars. This is a town of 12,000 with a nice relatively new Walgreen's store that has cars in and out all day. There is a restaurant across the street. Many of their customers use Walgreen,s parking lot. This 6 – 8 block area is the big intersection and busiest part of town.

I did a night club for a friend one weekend last fall. Thursday $50, couldn't do Friday, Saturday $187 gross. I drove by last week to speak with the owner and I see real estate for sale signs all over the lot and it looks vacant.

I even did a Little Britches Rodeo last year at the Mesa County Fairgrounds with just me and a kettle corn vendor. I did $150 for the whole weekend. They had camper trailers and probably cooked some and left the grounds for Burger King Taco Belle and all the other fast food places.

I'm 250 miles from Denver and about 275 miles from Colorado Springs completely on the other side of the Rockies. This town wasn't 3000 people when I moved here in 1982. I call it a transient town. LOL! It has to be between 12 and 15 thousand now I'm sure. Walgreen is 1 block off of the main exit of interstate 70. Taco Bell, McDucks, anything and everything you can name is within an 8 to 10 block radius. I'm sure that doesn't help.

I'm gonna keep plugging away, but it seems they just do not jump at hot dogs. This is lengthy I know, but wanted you to know I have tried more than 2 spots, and I'm not just sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. When I got started I thought the HD, permits, license and commissary were going to be the problem. They were all a piece of cake. Getting the folks around here to accept hot dogs is the problem.

Man thanks for all the help.
Boo

post edited by brickboo - 2013/03/21 14:07:21
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 14:42:09
You say no one eats Hot Dogs there. How about seeing exactly what the HD will allow.  Can you have fresh cheese? How about canned tomato soup?
http://www.huffingtonpost...recipes_n_2410080.html
pnwchef
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 15:00:22
I love this statement:
I'm not interested in Biker Jim selling Rattle Snake and Armadillo hot dogs. I mean a hot dog vendor selling hot dogs bratwurst, maybe tamales, or precooked hamburgers that is not within 100 miles of the Denver area.
I think it's stupid to follow in a persons footsteps that is successful, worked his ass off and has two carts and a Restaurant........Boy how dumb would that be......

Maybe they are telling you they don't like hot dogs, in fact if I didn't live on the East Coast I would even make the Hot Dog the lead story. I would specialize in Brats, Polish sausage, game sausage, Italian Sausage...........I have seen good quality sausage vendors sell sausage in the smallest town in Oregon...........
Get a product that is different, If hot dogs are not big in your area, they try something else.................pnwc
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 15:35:04
Bill,
You missed the point. I did my home work before I invested. Was told by many many folks I could pay my meager bills selling hot dogs. I'm not in a town of 3 million. Where in the hell am I going to get Rattle Snake sausage, and the other weird things the "Biker" sells?

pnwchef,
Do you have a clue of what it would take to work that all out with the HD here. The commissary I use doesn't have a freezer. I work with food on a daily and weekly basis. 

I wouldn't have a clue of how to sell Rattle Snake here. I guess probably all the tourist in Denver out of curiosity eat Rattlesnake sausage like all of the tourist in New Orleans eating alligator tail on a stick. 

I lived there for 32 years. The locals do not eat alligator on a stick. They eat Red Beans and Rice. Ha ha! We don't get 1,000,000 tourst in twenty years here like the "Biker" does.

I was not criticizing the "Biker!" I'm merely saying in a town like Denver a vendor could probably make a living selling "SOS" to tourist. 

People move here and all of a sudden they are cowboys. Within a week they are all wearing and stumbling around in cowboy boots just like little children with a new toy. There they are with Johnny Carson three piece pinstriped suits with cowboy boots. You should see how funny that looks. Then all they want to eat is steak and potatoes. The HD won't let me do steak and potatoes. Everything has to be precooked. Do you have a clue where I can get precooked Rattlesnake sausage. Ha ha! Again!
Boo
pnwchef
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 17:04:15
Hey Boo, I already get the point, I have had many successful food operations. I don't think Bikerjim had any fresh sausage on his cart, I figure everything was smoked. The sausage doesn't have to be Rattlesnake, it just has to be good. The problem with most Hot Dog operators is, all they know how to do is boil water, throw in a dog, and think they can have people run to their cart. It takes more than a boiled weiner in a bun to build a business. I'm saying just because hot dog didn't work doesn't mean something else won't. Look into Brats, Jalapeno sausage, Italian sausage with sauteed peppers and onions, Polish with spicy mustard and kraut, on and on and on an on.....Look up how many different kinds of smoked sausage there are and pick a few. In this day and age you can ship anything anyplace. There is a guy in Vancouver BC, a member of this site. he started with one cart, he now has three. He serves Organic sausage uses all local . He found out what he has to do to succeed, you need to do the same..........pnwc
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 17:58:16
If you don't think people there don't eat hot Dogs, FIND OUT WHAT THEY DO EAT.
You say steak and potato's. A big fat sausage on a premium roll should satisfy them. We're talking lunch, they can have their steak for dinner.
Do you have any meat markets or butchers around that make their own sausage?
Or bakers that can make a good roll you can use? You can co-op with them and advertize both ways. ( "Hey, Mr. Butcher, how good are your Italian Sausages? Well, Mam' , Boo's Sausage Emporium sells them out in front of Walgreens just down the street. Here's a coupon for 50 cent off. He grills them with a little applewood smoke and then splits them and puts them a lightly toasted bun that he got fresh from Joe the Baker up the road. Then he piles on sauteed onions and peppers he buys from Fred the Farmer just out of town. The melting Provilone on it ties it all together. Plus he will give you a coupon to buy the sausage from us.)
Boo, put up a link to your website...seen it before, but maybe others may see something that needs help.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 19:42:46
http://cajunenterprises.c...2012/10/06-Track-6.mp3

Don't ef with Boo until you hear this. The man is trying to make a living.
chefbuba
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 19:55:46
What the hell was that? My dog started howling.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 20:01:03
Too many times I hear about folks that think they have talent.
Most suck. Boo is real, I checked it out. Maybe not your cup of tea, and maybe the wrong forum . But, we are all friends here. Can't we all just get along?
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 20:19:10
Boo can be goofy, and we suffer him. He wants to make it happen. He's 70ish, wants to set up his son. Son with problems.....
A project to get Boo rolling....

jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 20:47:04
But OMG, turns out he is an awesome singer. I'm a severe critic of singers.  He passes. It works on all levels. Needs to work it into sales.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 21:25:11
Chef buba has lost all credibility and concepts of taste with me. Being Old does not make you better.
djdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/21 23:16:39
I don't understand how you can't sell dogs there?  Are there just not any people?  Are you not able to get in front of a bigger crowd?  They don't eat hot dogs?  Last time I heard, people that like steak and potatoes eat meat in a tube....if not hot dogs...polish sausage?  Smoked Brat?  ??  Try a texas dog?  bbq sauce...bacon, cheese, etc???  I saw a guy that did a dog on a stick but it was a corkscrew one that he cut from top to bottom.....maybe that could work?
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/22 18:13:33
Folks,

I've always had Johnsonville's Jalapeno, Cheddar, Bratwurst, Beer Bratwurst and Nathans hot dogs. I offer Tamales that I like as much as any I've ever eaten anywhere. They are home made around even in the Supermarkets here because of all the Mexicans that live in this valley. There are Mexican ladies that go door to door t0 office buildings selling them etc.

I sold one Frito Pie from late last August until freezing late December. I've tried Ball Park pre-cooked hamburgers. I have boiled, steamed or grilled dogs and brats. I have all the condiments, including Chili from Sams and Sauerkraut that Sams offers at their deli.

I bathe, wear clean clothes and shoes. I have pretty clean saxophone players' fingernails etc. No sandals, flip flops or Bermuda shorts for me. I don't even own any. I'm probably as good looking as at least half of the guys here even though a senior citizen. LOL!

I just received a phone call from the manager of Habitat For Humanity. She said the board of directors said the parking lot is too congested for my hot dog cart. So, it's full time at Walgreen's until another location can be found.

I'm finishing up a stone walkway Monday and then I'm getting the van loaded and heading to Walgreen's. I'm definitely going to try Lemonade Shakes when it warms up. Heck if I can do 30 of those a day I'll just sell them and get a sno-ball machine. I'll sell anything.

I tried fresh Gulf Shrimp and Crawfish years ago and that flopped too. One guy wanted to know if the little red things were what they were caught with. His wife told me on the phone that he love fresh shrimp. He's never seen anything but a headless frozen shrimp in his life. LOL!

I'm telling you everyone thinks us Cajun's are strange people. If you want to see strange people, move or visit the Western Slope area of the Rocky Mountains. Especially around the Grand Junction area.

I appreciate all the info provided, even the constructive criticism.
Boo Hargis
post edited by brickboo - 2013/03/22 18:30:00
slammin
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/26 19:52:08
Boo, slinging dogs here in the Valley is a tough way to earn a living. I'm not sure why. I bought a dog from your cart last year at Walgreens. Good dogs. I've been doing farmers markets and festivals in western Colorado for the last 14 years. I don't have to take off my shoes to count the number of cart vendors I have seen slinging more than one season. 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/27 00:05:06
Sam,
I remember you contacting me through email some time back. I didn't know you had one of my dogs. Thank you. I'm gonna add a chicken and pork wiener that I can sell for $1.50 and make a $1. I'll be sure and let them know that it is not an all beef dog.

Just worked Aug to Dec last year. Gonna keep the Tamales on the cart with the variety of Brats.

I also want to offer a Lemon Shake Up when it gets hot. I'll try anything.
Thanks again Sam and stop anytime,
Boo Hargis
slammin
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/27 08:23:51
There has to be a reason why so few hot dog vendors last more than one season in the Grand Junction area. They can't all be too dumb to sell hot dogs! I certainly appreciate the comments from vendors around the country. While I know a dog slinger will never chase Warren Buffet off the Forbes list, but in many localities you can make a decent living.  Colorado has one of the lowest obesity rates in the nation. Visitors come here to hike, mountain bike, ski, hunt, and fish. Most of those folks eat healthy, not that dogs can't be healthy.  We don't have large industries as a venue to sell dogs. You won't find carts on corners during lunch M-F. The location that has constantly had a cart has been the local Home Depot. Since 2009 even they have changed vendors two or three times. Out here you really have to think outside the box to last. That's why Jim has been so successful in Denver. That and several million residents and visitors to draw from! The best bet to make it here is have a regular income during the week and do events on the weekend. Not many folks have the drive to put in 40 hours M-F and another 10+ hours a day on Saturday and Sunday, especially if you can't make an extra grand doing it.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/27 13:05:08
AMEN!!

djdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/28 02:44:24
Maybe if you guys charged more than $1.50 for a dog?  Would that help more vendors last?  LOL 
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/28 17:34:25
Boo, I still think the "Healthy Version" is gonna be the way to make it. Mr. Slammin' made a few points. People that watch their weight and try to eat healthy still crave a Hot Dog or Sausage. I think you got that sign board. Put on it "Healthy(er) Sausage Dogs". Find some Veggie Dogs/Sausages. Get some Chicken Apple. Use Whole Wheat buns.Offer fruit juices and baked chips. Have a bowl of fresh fruit. Homegrown tomatoes and Baconaise.
You mentioned how clean-cut you are. Maybe get some flashy tie-dye, a fancy hat and maybe even let your hair grow a little. Bring your sax and play it between customers.
I checked www.fruita.org and saw a few ideas there. Didn't see you listed there. Are you a member of the C of C ? Have you gotten on all the website refferal sites, like Manta, Thumbtack, etc.?
I think you have the desire and the gumption. Think more positive.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/28 18:28:25
Ya know, I almost wish I had your situation.  My City/County just got rated as the most unhealthy part of the state. I often feel guilty serving fatty, salty, chemical infused tubes of "meat", washed down with flavored sugar water. But that's what sells. I hate watching people get fatter. But I get skinnier if I don't sell.
Keep in mind, if you offer the premium Sausages on a good bun, you can bump the price way up. Seems folks that eat crap is mostly cuz that's what they can afford.  A premium Veggie Dog, piled with fresh veggies will appeal to the wealthier folk. If served fast, an awesome Veggie Dog(or two) with baked chips a Lemonade and a peach and a complimentory piece of dark chocolate should add up to close to ten bucks. Rich folk value their time. If they can zip in and get a Premium sandwich, they will.

chefbuba
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/28 20:56:38
Would you rather sell 100 crap dogs at $1.50 to make $100 or sell 50,
$5 dogs/sausages and make $175?
I don't think that selling a lesser pork beak dog is your answer.
I would keep the  Nathan's & try some of jcheese's suggestions, unless you already have.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/28 21:40:30
Are people "window shopping" or engaging in any way?

Do they zip by like you're invisible?

Do they at least look like...what's that all about?

It may be lack of familiarity with the process of hot dog carts.

Some tourists come to NYC and they stand there far enough away from a cart looking at it trying to figure out "how it works" because they have no experience in their life (.or a language barrier) ...with a hot dog cart. Many carts know this and they put pictures up and whatever else to map the process with visual aids....prices etc. Or people will ask someone passing what they should do. It happens all the time.

When you see pics of a NYC cart it will look loaded-up "busy" with all sorts of pictures & signs all over it. They do the talking for the cart...way before a customer does the ordering.

Here...someone can stand a few steps away and never be noticed. There's a strong culture of street vending here. It's part of daily life 24/7/365. There's very little to absolutely no culture of street vending in many areas. That's an obstacle that has to be figured-out. It's also very difficult with little foot traffic.

If they pay no mind to you as they pass...they don't know what food you have...hot dogs ...hamburgers...tamales...Frito pies...etc.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/03/28 22:06:51
djdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/30 21:50:45
I mentioned this before and it bears repeating....and it's not because I know it all because I know nothing but someone wise told me this and I have taken it to heart.  When you sell an "experience" as opposed to hot dogs, you can charge a higher price.  Now you need to have quality dogs and not Safeway crap but after that...what does your cart look like?  Is it clean?  Does it look generic or do you have anything on it that makes you stand out and look unique?  (while still looking professional)  I'm assuming you have a menu of sorts for your dogs....do you have PICTURES of the made up dogs?  I swear I don't get how some doggers have no pics of their chili cheese dogs, etc....for cryin' out loud you're selling delicious dogs people, put some pics up! (but I digress...sorry for the rant.)  I can't tell you how many times people come to my cart and say "wow, that LOOKS delicious!"  And I can tell they are looking at the pic.  Not to compare ourselves to McDonald's, etc but you notice how they have pics of every single item they sell?  That's not by mistake...

Continuing with the experience thing.....do you put all the condiments on or do you let them do it?  (that's not an experience...that's fast food)  Do you have names for your hot dogs or do you just sell a dog and let them put on whatever they want.  Do you play some cool music that might be appropriate for your area?  (country for you?  idk...just brainstorming here...and not talking about the radio...about a specific playlist on an ipod or something that BRANDS your hot dog company)

Going back to the menu....do you use a unique font for the name of your company or is it generic?  All of that stuff makes a difference...or at least I'm convinced it does.   
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/31 00:15:51
An empty billboard is a waste of good advertising space...

Every picture tells a story. If you live in an artistic community.... take pics and use one of the many free apps available to make some cool art for the cart.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/03/31 00:17:19
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/31 00:39:34

chefbuba
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/03/31 01:16:08
That's what I had for dinner tonight......Still burping it up 3 hrs later.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/04/11 20:49:43
djdawg

I mentioned this before and it bears repeating....and it's not because I know it all because I know nothing but someone wise told me this and I have taken it to heart.  When you sell an "experience" as opposed to hot dogs, you can charge a higher price.  Now you need to have quality dogs and not Safeway crap but after that...what does your cart look like?  Is it clean?  Does it look generic or do you have anything on it that makes you stand out and look unique?  (while still looking professional)  I'm assuming you have a menu of sorts for your dogs....do you have PICTURES of the made up dogs?  I swear I don't get how some doggers have no pics of their chili cheese dogs, etc....for cryin' out loud you're selling delicious dogs people, put some pics up! (but I digress...sorry for the rant.)  I can't tell you how many times people come to my cart and say "wow, that LOOKS delicious!"  And I can tell they are looking at the pic.  Not to compare ourselves to McDonald's, etc but you notice how they have pics of every single item they sell?  That's not by mistake...

Continuing with the experience thing.....do you put all the condiments on or do you let them do it?  (that's not an experience...that's fast food)  Do you have names for your hot dogs or do you just sell a dog and let them put on whatever they want.  Do you play some cool music that might be appropriate for your area?  (country for you?  idk...just brainstorming here...and not talking about the radio...about a specific playlist on an ipod or something that BRANDS your hot dog company)

Going back to the menu....do you use a unique font for the name of your company or is it generic?  All of that stuff makes a difference...or at least I'm convinced it does.   

Let's talk experience.....
I live in SWVA.   Birthplace of Country Music. My ipod shoots traditional music that gets people talkin'. It makes them linger and talk. Now we know each other. We bond and they wanna help me make a livin'.
Little things work.
blisterbob
Junior Burger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/06/30 19:34:06
cc in nj

I just passed my operational inspection, how and where do I get things to make my cart look like yours, its fana]tastic?
chefbuba
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/01 01:37:09
You have to go to Bayonne & see Tony, tell him Johnny Pork Beaks sent you
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 16:44:43
Ive given my 2 cents worth before....stay at the walgreens every day!...keep a simple menu to start and adjyst after a few weeks based on what people seem to want, ask them, walgreens has a huge amount of foot traffic when i started with a cart it was in front of walgreens and increased steadly over some time
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 18:07:01
Top^Dog,

I don't think it's the Walgreens. I think it's the people. There are many high school students pass me every day on the way to Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's and McDonalds. I think 3 or 4 stopped once sometime last fall for a hotdog. They are not going to pay $2.50 for a hotdog when they can get 3 Tacos for $3 is my opinion.

The rest of these fast food places have $1 items too. They are also selling any size drink, read my lips, any size drink for a dollar at McDonalds the last time I looked.

Do they do this crap where you live? Three of them here give free drinks to seniors over 55 years of age too.

The cost of living like many other places is very high here too. Milk is $3.29 a gal and real Whole wheat bread is $2.49. Is this comparable to where you live? Just curious! If it weren't for the magnificent scenery all around here for hundreds of miles in every direction, I'd move in a heartbeat. I'm like between a rock and a hard place.

Man listening to the Gurus of Hot Dogs last year, I thought for sure a hotdog cart was going to be the answer to my prays, but it is getting close to being as hard as brickwork everyday including not making any money.
slammin
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 18:47:47
I joined Roadfood in 2009. At that time my machine shop wasbarely making enough money to pay the building rent, let alone the utilities, insurance, machine payments and gas for the pickup. After 40+ years in this racket I was ready to try something new. I was going to build or buy a cart and sling dogs. I started watching the local vendors. At any given time there are 3 or 4 guys selling dogs around town including the guy at Home Depot. Few last more than one season! Almost every year someone new tries downtown Grand Junction. They get newspaper and t v coverage, then disappear in a few months. I know there are lots of great places to sling dogs in this country, but western Colorado ain't one of them. Hang in there Boo, I hope you can beat the odds.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 21:35:01
Boo have you considered high school football games? Little league games etc..?
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 22:21:56
Little league lady said she had two vendors already. If one was not going to make it she would call me. I drove down one night no vendor. A guy said the vendor had been at the JUCO games all week. He said no vendor was there for the whole week. I'm not going to go sit at the little league every night to see if the other vendor shows. I think it must be the lady in charge's son, boyfriend, husband or something is going on. This town really sucks. They tolerate bricklayer contractors around here but they don't like hot dogs or vendors for some reason.
This area is like a different planet. But the scenery is unbelievable. 
Once a lady who's husband took her all over the world while he was a Colonel in the service said they chose this place to live 
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/02 22:54:53
You cant compete with taco bell or mcdonalds but you have hot dogs and sausage and they dont....hot dogs are a top five favorite food ....i see kids paying 4 or 5 bucks for these monstet type drinks....restaurants sell a 4 dollar wholesale steak for 25 bucks, and people pay, this is the season now for hot dogd not the fall so stick it out for a few months and see what happens
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 10:01:28
top^dog

You cant compete with taco bell or mcdonalds but you have hot dogs and sausage and they dont....hot dogs are a top five favorite food ....i see kids paying 4 or 5 bucks for these monstet type drinks....restaurants sell a 4 dollar wholesale steak for 25 bucks, and people pay, this is the season now for hot dogd not the fall so stick it out for a few months and see what happens

I sell the crap out of Monster on my cart, I am near a college and I pay like $1.03 for them and sell them for $3.00 all day, I make the least amount of money on those than any other drink I sell, but the gas stations sell them for $2.66, so what do you do, ya know.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 12:24:00
If you make less on the monster, what do you sell a .30 cent can of soda for?
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 14:35:35
brickboo

If you make less on the monster, what do you sell a .30 cent can of soda for?

Boo I go to restaurant Depot and get a case of pierre water for $14.49 sell them for $2.00 and profit $33.51. I get a case of Evian water for $18.48 sell them at $2.00 and make a $29.32 profit, I get a case of Monster energy drinks for $28.49 sell them at $3.00 and make a $43.51 profit and I get cases of Coke, Sprite, Mt Dew, root beer for $7.75 each case 12oz can sell them for a buck and make a $16.25 profit. So My most profitable drink is the monster and the kids love them. sure I could make more selling cheap water, but why sell something I would not eat or drink? I really want to do away with the sodas but there is too much demand for it. I would love to do the San Pellegrino lemonade and blood orange sparkling drinks instead. might just add those anyway. but hope that more than answers your question 
Stay motivated and good luck
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 16:07:01
Josh,
You said, "I make the least amount of money on those (the Monsters) than any other drink I sell." Check your post!!!
I must be reading something wrong. You say you make less profit on the Monster drinks, but to me your figures say you make more profit than the other drinks. Straighten me up would ya! Sorry to be so confused, but it's easy when you're a "Cajun."
post edited by brickboo - 2013/07/03 16:10:17
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 19:41:49
brickboo

Josh,
You said, "I make the least amount of money on those (the Monsters) than any other drink I sell." Check your post!!!
I must be reading something wrong. You say you make less profit on the Monster drinks, but to me your figures say you make more profit than the other drinks. Straighten me up would ya! Sorry to be so confused, but it's easy when you're a "Cajun."

You're right, I did say that in another post, I misquoted myself and said it backwards. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes after a few beers my fingers get ahead of me on the keyboard 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 21:09:54
OK!!! So I haven't quite lost it yet. Whewwwwwwwwwww, I thought maybe my wife was right.
FriedTater
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/03 23:15:46
HotDogMafia, I question your calculations concerning profits acheived from the sell of Monster Drinks versus 12 oz. canned drinks. I`m assuming each case of Monster Drinks comes 24 to a case and so as the canned sodas. If this is correct, then figuring you make more off Monster Drinks is incorrect. Cost of product divided by selling price subtracted from 100 equals profit. So, the Monster Drinks are $28.49 divided by 24 cans equals $1.19 per can. Cost of product ($1.19) divided by selling price ($3.00) equals .396666 (or 40) subtracted from 100 equals 60%  profit. Canned drinks on the other hand are $7.75 per case divided by 24 equals 32 cents per can. Cost of product (.32 cents) divided by selling price ($1.00) equals .32 subtracted from 100 equals 68 % profit. This is not taking into account costs of ice, cups, straws or anything else given to the customer for the purchase of the drinks. Even that napkin the customer requests to wipe off the can costs YOU money. Now if the 24 count cases is of another number, say 20 to a case, all above figures are blown to heck. This is the calculation I go by to establish my prices and profit margins.I try to maintain a 77% profit margin. Happy 4th of July to all.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/04 00:28:30
FriedTater

HotDogMafia, I question your calculations concerning profits acheived from the sell of Monster Drinks versus 12 oz. canned drinks. I`m assuming each case of Monster Drinks comes 24 to a case and so as the canned sodas. If this is correct, then figuring you make more off Monster Drinks is incorrect. Cost of product divided by selling price subtracted from 100 equals profit. So, the Monster Drinks are $28.49 divided by 24 cans equals $1.19 per can. Cost of product ($1.19) divided by selling price ($3.00) equals .396666 (or 40) subtracted from 100 equals 60%  profit. Canned drinks on the other hand are $7.75 per case divided by 24 equals 32 cents per can. Cost of product (.32 cents) divided by selling price ($1.00) equals .32 subtracted from 100 equals 68 % profit. This is not taking into account costs of ice, cups, straws or anything else given to the customer for the purchase of the drinks. Even that napkin the customer requests to wipe off the can costs YOU money. Now if the 24 count cases is of another number, say 20 to a case, all above figures are blown to heck. This is the calculation I go by to establish my prices and profit margins.I try to maintain a 77% profit margin. Happy 4th of July to all.

I don't do all that math at all. I figure it cost $28.49 for 24 16oz Monster energy drinks sold at $3.00 each = $72.00. $72.00 - $28.49 = $43.51 I.E. the profit I made after subtracting the cost. how is that not accurate. The sodas was figured the same way. I don't do cups or straws, and I never hand out a napkin if someone just buys a drink and nothing else
FriedTater
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/04 12:23:17
HotdogMafia, one more time then I`m done. You purchase Monster Drinks for $28.49 case/24 and profit $43.51 case. To make things almost equal, if you purchased 4 cases of soda, it would cost you $31.00. You pay $2.51 more for 96 drinks instead of 24 drinks. So spending an extra $2.51 gives you 96 drinks selling at $1.00 each equals $65.00 profit. Thats $21.45 more than you make selling Monster drinks. Looks good on paper, uh? Have a Happy 4th everyone.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Colorado Vendor? 2013/07/04 12:28:11
FriedTater

HotdogMafia, one more time then I`m done. You purchase Monster Drinks for $28.49 case/24 and profit $43.51 case. To make things almost equal, if you purchased 4 cases of soda, it would cost you $31.00. You pay $2.51 more for 96 drinks instead of 24 drinks. So spending an extra $2.51 gives you 96 drinks selling at $1.00 each equals $65.00 profit. Thats $21.45 more than you make selling Monster drinks. Looks good on paper, uh? Have a Happy 4th everyone.

Dude I am lost, but it is all good, and happy Independance day to you and everyone else as well.