The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 31 to 60 of 157
Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 03/31/13 2:15 PM (permalink)
JRPfeff

I just checked my travel schedule.  We most likely will be going the weekend of June 22-23.

Works well for me.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
    Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 03/31/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Meet at Wedl's at 10:30 on June 22 for the start of our day.
    Hmmm...is it now traditional to start a Contingent day with burgers?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4082
      Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 03/31/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
      Sure, if they're Good Burgers.  That's two in a row.

Buddy

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2375
        Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/1/13 7:48 AM (permalink)
        ScreamingChicken

JRPfeff

Hmmm...is it now traditional to start a Contingent day with burgers?

Burgers at 10:30 is the OFFICIAL BUDDY ROADHOUSE OPENING.  There is a soft opening being planned at a breakfast place for those able to reach Ft. Atkinson by 9;30.

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
          Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/8/13 4:18 AM (permalink)
          Count me in! As Buddy indicated I was inquiring about an early summer tour since Smoke err Pie Day 2013 isn't going to happen. I just needed an excuse to get out of town. What would be the most affordable city or town to get a hotel room in? I looked online in the immediate area and even 2 star hotels wanted $75 a night. I am willing to drive a little further to get a lower price.

CNW

PS How do you like living in my old hometown of Apex, NC?

ScreamingChicken

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/8/13 9:50 AM (permalink)
            How would you define "immediate area", and what's your anticipated route into WI?  If you come north on I-39/90 you'll have plenty of options between Janesville and Madison; Econo Lodge in each of those cities has rates at $51/night for a 2-night stay June 21-23.

There are also lots of older bungalow-style motels like Towne Edge.  However, I'm not sure the photos shown on the linked page are an accurate representation.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/8/13 12:12 PM (permalink)
              CNW, I recommend using the Priceline.com "Name Your Price" option.  You'll be able to pick the general geographic area along with the quality level of the hotel, without choosing the specific hotel itself.  I've been using this feature for years on my Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce demo trips, and have rarely had a miss.  I can routinely get three-star hotels for $60/night, or less; lower rated places for $50/night or less.

Buddy

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 164
                Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/15/13 5:58 AM (permalink)
                This is looking like a GO for me!  Another new territory to explore.  Man, I love my Contingent buddies.

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/15/13 1:20 PM (permalink)
                  CNW

PS How do you like living in my old hometown of Apex, NC?

CNW,

Historic Downtown Apex is great and there are several food trucks on Williams Street that I've been meaning to try.  I don't think Apex has realized that their little rural town has been swallowed by a large city.  It get's pretty congested at times.

Jim

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 04/15/13 1:35 PM (permalink)
                    Bob and I considered living there..........

ScreamingChicken

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Thu, 04/18/13 9:48 AM (permalink)
                      JRPfeff

Wedl's was part of the main story on the front page of last Sunday's Janesville Gazette.

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/19/13 9:07 PM (permalink)
                        ScreamingChicken

And if anybody's interested I'd be happy to meet for a pre-tour breakfast at Scottie's Eat-Mor.

Bradley Clucking Hen,

Bobbi & I scouted Scottie's (or was it Scotted scoutie's) today.  Great meal!  Good food and lots of it.  Great choice!

The problem is that Scottie does not seem to be a multi-tasker.  It takes about an hour between seating and delivery of an order to the patron.  There are only 15 stools available, so it is doubtful that this will work for the CONTINGENT

We are looking for another suitable pre-Buddy stop (I apologize in advance for that hateful speech)

JRP

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/19/13 9:07 PM (permalink)
                          ScreamingChicken

And if anybody's interested I'd be happy to meet for a pre-tour breakfast at Scottie's Eat-Mor.

Bradley Clucking Hen,

Bobbi & I scouted Scottie's (or was it Scotted scoutie's) today.  Great meal!  Good food and lots of it.  Great choice!

The problem is that Scottie does not seem to be a multi-tasker.  It takes about an hour between seating and delivery of an order to the patron.  There are only 15 stools available, so it is doubtful that this will work for the CONTINGENT

We are looking for another suitable pre-Buddy stop (I apologize in advance for that hateful speech)

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/19/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                            ScreamingChicken

Bradley Clucking Hen,

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/19/13 9:08 PM (permalink)
                              ScreamingChicken

Bradley Clucking Hen,

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/19/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                ScreamingChicken

Bradley Clucking Hen,

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 04/21/13 2:24 AM (permalink)
                                  Wow!  Most of us were just victims of the double post syndrome.  You must really be having problems if your post duplicated five times!

Buddy

ScreamingChicken

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 04/21/13 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                    JRPfeff

What time were you there?  I've heard that Scottie's can get pretty busy on weekends.

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                      Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sun, 04/21/13 8:52 AM (permalink)
                                      Brad,

We arrived at Scottie's at 9:30 on Friday.  There were 2 empty stools, otherwise we would not have waited.  Scottie warned us that there would be a long wait and was correct.  Although we didn't expect it to be close to an hour.  We had time to chat with some of the locals while we were waiting.  We both observed that the place must be really packed on weekends, unless the Contingent can arrive at the 5:30 opening it won't work for our tour.

Bobbi had a skillet and I had the chicken fried steak, both were about $6 (before our Entertainment Book coupon).  People were ordering the fish fry by 10:15.

Jim

RJSpang

• Total Posts: 4
                                        Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Thu, 04/25/13 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                        This is amazing! My dad and uncle were born in the Jefferson/Watertown area. I remember visiting the family back there as a young boy I have not been back since then and would love to visit the area.

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Thu, 04/25/13 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                          RJS,

We'd love to have you join us.  My wife (the Pie Diva) is from Michigan and she'll vouch that it's safe here.

jrp

RJSpang

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Thu, 04/25/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                            I saw Wedl's on Burger Land just last night on The Travel Channel and it looks fascinating to me.

RJSpang

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Thu, 04/25/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                              thanks JRPfeff!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3095
                                                Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/26/13 8:51 AM (permalink)
                                                Wow Jim, I think it's a new world's record for duplicate posts (which I know you had nothing to do with)!

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/26/13 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                                  MFL - You can't blame the dirty martini's either.

Braumeister

• Total Posts: 9
                                                    Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Fri, 04/26/13 5:19 PM (permalink)
                                                    Being born and raised in Watertown, Wis., I can attest to the awesomeness of Glenn's Market. Also, Mullen's Dairy Bar is an absolute must... sundaes, malts, floats... all excellent. Pretty good burgers & fries too. Mullen's isn't a throwback or retro, it just hasn't changed in 50 years (and that's a good thing). Although I haven't been to Zweigs in over 20 years, it served one of the best burgers in town and its broasted chicken WAS the best. Id' be eager to return. In the 60s and 70s, Emil's Pizza was the best, but alas, he closed his restaurant and went into the frozen pizza business, which you can still purchase at Glenn's.

On Main St. is a bar called Amado's, which now serves it's version of Mexican food, which I've never tried, but the reason I bring it up is, my dad and uncle owned and operated this bar as "Tegg's Tap" from the late 50s through the mid-80s. I haven't set foot in it since 1977; might be worth it for a quick tapper or two.

Regrettably, many of the great places of my youth are gone.... The Tip-Up, The Galley (drive-ins) and Dog 'n Suds with carhops on roller-skates! The Sharp Corner was the best German restaurant in the area, the Green Bowl for fish fries, Pagel's Bakery for EVERYTHING (potato rolls, donuts, potato chips & popcorn, pies, etc.) Buehler's and Royal's meat markets (Glenn's has taken over for them admirably) and I wish there was still someplace one could get the famous Watertown Stuffed Goose.

Me and Mrs. Braumeister are 'in' for at least the Watertown leg. See you in June!

JRPfeff

Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Sat, 05/4/13 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                                      Braumeister - My daughter loves Amado's and the other Mexican place in Watertown.  Unfortunately, Amado's is not open for lunch on Saturdays.

We just figured out that Stop #2 will be the Johnson Creek Farmers Market. 

Pie Diva & I are going away for a couple weeks.  More planning when we get back.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                                                        • Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                                        Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 05/6/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                                        Late to the thread, but yes, I'm in...riding along w/Gyp.

And WTF happened in this thread, anyway??? Roadfood.com finally had a heart attack....

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                          Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 05/6/13 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                                          X1,
                                                          You shouldn't take those long leaves of absence, you miss out on all the fun.

There were some issues after a recent site upgrade.  Double postings, disappearing postings, and non-working site functions were the norm for almost two weeks.

Things seem to be back to normal now.

Buddy

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 695
                                                            • Location: Chicago, IL
                                                            Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 Mon, 05/6/13 11:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            What's weird is that this thread seems to be fine until I sign in.  After that, JRPfeff's 4/19 post is the last thing I can see, and it's multiple times.  Before I signed in as abe_froeman, everything seemed fine.

As far as I know, I'm in for whatever's going on, so someone just keep me posted.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 31 to 60 of 157

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com