Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10279
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/20 11:36:21 (permalink)
JRPfeff
2:00 
Mullens Dairy Bar, 212 W. Main Street, Watertown
Time for a break from food, ice cream sundaes don't count.  Mullens is a classic, how did Clifford miss it?

Probably because he chained himself to the pie case at Upper Krust Pie Shop!
cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 11:49:29 (permalink)
JRPfeff
--- snip---
5:30 or later 
Crawfish Junction (9755 County Rd N, Johnson Creek) or Elias Inn Supper Club (200 N 2nd St, Watertown).

Is that address correct for Crawfish Junction?  Was having trouble finding it while updating my GPS.  Is this the place?  http://www.crawfishjuncti...#!location/c14xr  That website has the address as W6376 Cty Hwy A, Johnson Creek.   And, that Cty A address is actually closer to Lake Mills.  Wierd.
post edited by cjucoder - 2013/06/21 12:07:26
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5060
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 12:06:57 (permalink)
Yes, that's Crawfish Junction's website and the Hwy A address is correct.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 706
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 20:31:50 (permalink)
Was there a head count for tomorrow?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 20:42:18 (permalink)
2 here. I never heard back about breakfast so we'll meet you at Wedl's.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2624
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 23:01:21 (permalink)
abe_froeman

Was there a head count for tomorrow?

We did a count at dinner and estimate about 20.

L8r G8rz.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/21 23:19:12 (permalink)
CAUTION - THE STOPS HAVE CHANGED. CHECK YOUR GPS.

Oops. Watertown's Art Festival was last week. Sun Prairie for Strawberries anyone?  Strike two - they only run until 3:00. An afternoon of slotcar racing? No, this ain't BIG TIME like the swells in Duh's Plaines.

Prior to the official tour, some of you may meet in Ft. Atkinson for the Fort Farmers Market (located 1 block off of South Main Street just across the street from the Fort Atkinson Post Office) and a possible breakfast at Scottie's Eat-Mor (1311 Madison Ave, Fort Atkinson). Contact Buddy for a stop at Scottie's, but get there very, very early (like that is an option with Mr. Roadhouse).

Official Tour
10:30
Wedl's Hamburger Stand & Ice Cream Parlor, 200 E Racine St, Jefferson
We'll get a start a World renowned hamburger stand.  Outdoor seating and tasty burgers and ice cream, too. We may never leave.

12:00
Glenn's Market & Catering, 722 W Main St,Watertown
Glenn's is a first rate full service meat market, with some of my favorite brats and bacon in the state. Besides the fresh meats, they also have a huge frozen meat selection with all of their bratwurst varieties and Mexican specialties, too. Bring a cooler to fill here.

On Saturdays, Glenn's operates a charity brat stand offering their Sheboygan-style brats and a different specialty brat each week. On the 22nd it will be ... NO WAY, that can't be a brat!

1:00
Taqueria Maria, 311 S 1st St, Watertown
My daughter, Pippett, swears by their quesadillas and insisted we stop here.

2:00 
Mullens Dairy Bar, 212 W. Main Street, Watertown
Time for a break from food, ice cream sundaes don't count.  Mullens is a classic, how did Clifford miss it?

2:30
Zweig's Grill, 904 E Main St, Watertown, WI
Fried pickles and an architectural gem. Zweig's is tiny, if we take a running start, The Contingent may fit inside.

3:30
Big Change Here - Baked Goods Scavenger Hurt
Homestyle Bakery, 411 East Main Street, Watertown (920) 206-9202 or
Upper Krust Pie Shop, 1300 Memorial Dr, Watertown (920) 206-9202 or
Sweet Talkin' Treats, 108 S. 3rd Street,Watertown (920) 342-3969 or
Somewhere else  The Pine Cone in Johnson Creek is a possibility.

After Zweig's, we will scatter to different bakeries and return with our purchases to Riverside Park to share and compare. Archie & Jughead may even show up.

We may have to add a non-food time eater to the tour. Anyone for a tour of Octogon House or a $3.00 first run movie?

5:30 or later 
An executive decision was made at dinner tonight to end the day at Saxes Lonestar (N41 Twinkling Star Rd, Whitewater, WI, (262) 473-9899). The supper club is highly recommended by Buddy, gives us an eating break, and is in the direction of home for the folks from Illinois.

See you tomorrow at Wedl's.

cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 170
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/22 09:09:10 (permalink)
Looks like I'm not going to make it after all.  Some stuff came up with a friend I need to help with.  Disappointing, but I'll catch you guys next time.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/23 01:00:11 (permalink)
Sorry you missed us cj; this tour was a winner from start to finish!  Two great old time Burger joints, an excellent Taqueria, outstanding Brats; both prepared for immediate eating and packaged for later use, a mess o' bakeries, house made Ice Cream, and a grand finale at a classic Wisconsin Supper Club.

We were all groaning by the end, but it was totally worth it.  I know there will be pictures coming in soon.  I'll provide a more detailed description once I've fully recovered from my food coma.

Buddy
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/23 23:23:19 (permalink)
It was a winner indeed: even the curmudgeonly Sancho Panza enjoyed it. Wedl's is definitely on our list for future burger stops, and the tacos at Taquería María were the real deal. The andouille sausage from Glenn's and the extra sharp cheddar from Kraemer made star appearances in the Cheesy Grits we had for breakfast this morning. We also loved the blueberry ice cream at Mullen's, and thanks to CNW for the tasty Nut Bread! Many thanks to JRPfeff, Pie Diva, Pie Family, and all others involved in putting this together. Sorry we pooped out after Mullen's and didn't make it to Saxes, but we were battling sleep. It was great seeing you all, and we hope to do it again very soon.
post edited by quijote - 2013/06/23 23:24:57
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/24 03:00:58 (permalink)
That "nut bread" is called "Povitica" a traditional bread of Eastern Europe, most commonly the Croats. although other nationalities and cultures have similar breads.

The version CNW brought to share with us came from Strawberry Hill Bakery in Kansas City.  We usually pick up a few when we visit at Christmas and give them out to family.

We missed getting them last year, so CNW's surprise was especially welcome.

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/24 05:16:39 (permalink)
Yes...it was nice seeing everyone and the food was great.
I think I'm STILL full....
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/24 09:32:03 (permalink)
Quijote,

You can let Pancho know that I'm changing my screen name to "IamnotRobertGibbs."

I.a.n.R.G.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/24 10:36:25 (permalink)

Great time!
Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it the success it was!
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/24 16:15:24 (permalink)
Had a really fun time. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Everything I tried was excellent. Thanks to all.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/27 15:09:51 (permalink)
Lake Mills

While the official tour didn't start until Saturday, a small group of us got together Friday night at Carp's Landing for fish and barbecue.  Carp's is located in a refurbished building in downtown Lake Mills.

One of the soups of the day was bacon corn chowder, which had good flavor and was neither too thick nor too thin.

The cod, perch, and Fridays-only potato pancakes went over well with those that ordered them and those that stole from their plates.

BuddyRoadhouse, JRPfeff, and myself opted for various barbecue combinations; I had the ribs, brisket, and pulled pork.

The meats were properly cooked but we agreed that they really needed a lot more smoke, which seems to me to be a common occurrence with restaurants trying to establish barbecue where there's little to no tradition...like Lake Mills.  I was also shocked at Applesauce's blatant violation of its non-aggression treaty with Mustard Sauce.

Afterwards we checked out a couple of blocks of Main Street, which by then was pretty much rolled up for the night, chatted for awhile, and called it a night.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/27 15:21:48 (permalink)
Jefferson

The official starting point on Saturday was Wedl's Hamburger Stand in downtown Jefferson and it's not much more than 4 walls and a roof, although I'm sure those inside appreciate the A/C.  The larger building is the ice cream shop. 

But there's enough room for a griddle and that's all that really matters.

I paced myself with a single bacon cheeseburger but a double bacon cheeseburger with onions is much more photogenic!  Any way they're served, these are some darn good burgers and it was tough to stop at one. 

Is it pronounced "weddull"?  Or maybe "weedle"?  No, it's actually "waydle", as in "Wedl you taste them".  Or...

Wedl, Wedl, Wedl,
There's burgers on the tray.
Wedl, Wedl, Wedl,
The way to start the day!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/06/27 15:25:56
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/27 15:28:03 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Is it pronounced "weddull"?  Or maybe "weedle"?  No, it's actually "waydle", as in "Wedl you taste them".  Or...

Wedl, Wedl, Wedl,
There's burgers on the tray.
Wedl, Wedl, Wedl,
The way to start the day!

Brad,

I do hope you are done driving and operating heavy equipment for the day.

Jim
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 19:12:29 (permalink)
There's always a period of adjustment for prescription changes, Jim.

Watertown

After finishing at Wedl's it was off to Watertown, where we'd spend most of the day.  The first stop was Glenn's Market, which could best be described as a meat warehouse.  Glenn's carries a wide variety of beef, pork, poultry, sausage...pretty much the whole spectrum.  On one hand I was sorry I didn't bring a cooler but on the other hand not doing so probably saved me a lot of money.

On weekends the Brat Haus is staffed by various organizations that sell Glenn's brats for worthy causes.

Glenn's wants the general public to be absolutely sure of what's going on.

On this particular day the featured brat was the Buffalo wing.  On the outside it looked pretty ordinary.

But inside were some hot sauce heat and plenty of blue cheese, and it was a winner with most of the group.

There was a bit of free time before the next stop so we scattered about.  Buddy had spotted this old advertisement on the side of the bar across the street from Glenn's.

And I came across this mural at the northwest corner of 5th and Main; apparently Watertownies have a dislike of plain brick.

I'll bet Michael Hoffman heard the live broadcast of that particular episode of Ripley's...and muttered something about "kids these days".

We regrouped at Maria's, a taqueria on South 1st St.

Diners receive the almost-obligatory bowls of green (hot) and red (not as much) salsa and baskets of chips.  They had nice flavor and since it took awhile for our drinks to arrive I used the red to fight off the heat of the green.

I'll let others chime in about what was what, but the 4th item shown was something with tripe.  Not a lot of takers for that one.

What it's all about.

Next up was Zwieg's Grill, which like Wedl's is featured in Hamburger America.

Zwieg's (pronounced "Zwigs"...no song here) has a small attached dining room and we filled it from end to end.  Meet JRPig!

Deep-fried pickle chips are a Zwieg's specialty and they taste like...fried pickles.

While not everyone ordered burgers they were for good reason far and away the most popular menu item.  I again stuck with a single (with pepper jack cheese) but some onion-laden doubles reached the table.

Afterwards CNW handed out samples of the Croatian nut bread, which turned out to be a nice pre-dessert.

Because the real dessert was to be found at Mullen's Dairy.

At 3:30 on a Saturday it was a busy place.

StrickenDetective had a cone with blue ice cream (I forget the actual flavor) and Buddy chose a small dish of key lime.  I had thought about getting a malt but with lunch just behind us and dinner still to come I decided to just observe.

Then it was time to head south for the final stop of the day.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/06/29 19:30:47
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18422
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 19:36:34 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman is too busy thinking about those burgers to remember the Ripley's broadcasts, believe it or not.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 20:06:41 (permalink)
Great photography Brad.  Thank you for being the official screaming photographer of the Contingent.

Michael, Pie Diva purchased the Hamburger America book and we intend to eat our way through it. There's some joint in Gahanna-Barbera we may try some time.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 20:35:56 (permalink)
Ah, you're referring to the Beanie Burger at the Gahanna Grill. Ask Buddy his opinion of that burger. We had lunch there yesterday. I just get a cheeseburger with grilled onions. It's the same patty as the Beanie Burger -- half a pound. But the Beanie has cole slaw, bacon, lettuce, tomato, grilled onion and cheese. I suppose a Beanie Burger is worthwhile once. That's how many times I've had one. Oh, and it comes with fries. In addition to Buddy, buffetbuster, wanderingjew, greymo and Ralph Melton and Ice Cream Chick have been there -- that I know of. Whatever you do, don't cut the thing in half. It gets really, really messy.

And if you do come, please let us know so we can get together. lleechef is eating her way through the Grill's salads. They are huge.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 21:07:03 (permalink)
I wish I could say that the Burgers were the highlight of the day, but I can't.

That's because EVERYTHING on this trip lived up to, or surpassed expectations!

Even Taqueria Maria, looking like a plain ol', run-of-the-mill, small town Mexican joint was exemplary.  That first photo, the one with the giant burrito-ish thing in the basket, was our contribution to the cause.  I can't remember what it was called, "Taco Magnifico", or something like that.  It was in fact a taco that we sliced up like a strudel; passing around slices to the crowd.  Inside was a generous serving of deliciously spiced carne asada, along with melted cheese, onions, and other savory delights.

The Buffalo Brats at Glenn's were in fact outstanding and just as ScreamingChicken describes them.  If the Anchor Bar started serving them, there'd be whole lot fewer wingless chickens running around.  We did bring a cooler, and we did spend a few bucks, but we managed to get out with enough left to pay the mortgage.

The only weak link for me was the Key Lime ice cream at Mullen's.  Not that it was bad; the overall quality of the ice cream was excellent, but it just didn't have the intense tang of a good Key Lime pie.  I'm glad Mrs. Roadhouse and I decided to split one scoop.  Otherwise we never would have lasted to the last stop, which I will leave CrouchingChickenScreamingPhotographer to reveal.

And again, that "nut bread" brought in by CNW is called "Povitica".  Especially good out of the toaster oven with a dab of butter shmeared across.

Buddy

P.S. MH knows my opinion of the Beanie Burger:  It is a wasted tribute to wretched excess.  Don't get me wrong, the Burger itself is a thing of beauty, on par with Fred's in Burlington, Tessaro's in Pittsburgh, and both Country House and Paradise Pup here in the Chicago area.  But they pile so much extraneous stuff on top (most notably an over-generous glop of creamy style cole slaw) that the brilliance of the Burger is lost.  Best to get the "Academy Burger" and add lettuce and tomato as desired.  And cole slaw on the side. http://www.gahannagrill.com/Files/Full_Menu.pdf

B.

p.p.s. As a nice Jewish boy, I immediately recognized the Wedl's song.  Cute.

b.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2013/06/29 21:10:01
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 22:03:45 (permalink)
Taco PIRATA, Buddy! PIRATES! ARRRRR!!!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 22:16:40 (permalink)
Buddy,

And just how 'quaint' is Watertown?

jrp
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/29 22:49:07 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

p.p.s. As a nice Jewish boy, I immediately recognized the Wedl's song.  Cute.

b.

He spelled dreidel incorrectly

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/30 01:56:38 (permalink)
Goyim.  Whaddaya gonna do?

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/30 02:00:28 (permalink)
JRPfeff Buddy,

And just how 'quaint' is Watertown?

jrp
Um, Quaint as a Saint?  Quainter than Paint?  So Quaint I almost Remaint (there)?

Seriously, it's a cute town.

Buddy
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8355
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/06/30 11:18:29 (permalink)
SOOOO bummed I missed this one. The food looks and sounds fabulous. Cant wait for the grand finale!
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
Re:Contingent Rollcall - Jefferson County, WI, June 2013 2013/07/01 03:26:34 (permalink)
Great pics Brad, thanks.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1