Chink's Changing Its Name

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 386
2013/03/28 22:50:41 (permalink)

Chink's Changing Its Name

http://www.philly.com/phi...changing-its-name.html

It's going to be called Joe's Steaks and Soda Shop.

http://www.roadfood.com/R...t/Overview/6300/chinks
post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/03/28 22:52:55

13 Replies Related Threads

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/03/28 23:44:07 (permalink)
    Ate there many times when I worked for Friends Hospital. Spoke to the owner who explained the origin of the name. Good food. Ah, political correctness
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/03/29 08:56:54 (permalink)
    I wouldn't call it political correctness. Sounds more like good business sense.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5095
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/03/29 10:40:50 (permalink)
    I think they should keep the original name. In this case, offending anyone is only in the mind of the offended. 
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/03/31 09:54:41 (permalink)
    There are definitely words which have been ex post facto turned into pseudo "insults", by people who want to label themselves as victims, so that they can use that status to demand reparations from the "victimizer", often through inventing a fake etymology. Words like "handicapped", "oriental", and "niggardly" come to mind immediately.

But here's the thing. "Political correctness" is stupidity if the the word "political" is necessary as a modifier. "Chink", when referring to a person, was always a denigrating term. Therefore, the change is not politically correct; it's just plain correct.

Bart
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/03/31 12:54:02 (permalink)
    I have a different take, given that I spoke to the owner in years gone by. First and foremost, he was a nice man who made a great sandwich. He also took an unwanted childhood nickname and made it an institution in a neighborhood that has since seen sad changes. Also, having grown up in North Philadelphia, I am aware that the nicknames of my fathers generation might not pass muster today. But we should view things in the context of their times.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/04/01 10:56:37 (permalink)
    I posted on another forum on the subject. 

The above article [from phillyeater.com] says it was not a racial slur but a Philly.com article quotes, "That was his boyhood nickname. In 2004, Sam's widow wrote a letter to the Daily News to explain how, as a 7-year-old in 1930 at James Blaine Elementary School, Sam was so branded with the slur by classmates who noted that his eyes were almond-shaped."

So, is it ok to retain a racial slur nickname because back in the old days it was ok to walk around and call people "chinks?" At some point in society's progress, I think we need to move on. Granted, the present owner is free to call it whatever he likes but profits may dictate what he does.

Before I read the article I had some mixed feelings about it and had thought the name was not based a racial slur. I compared it to folks who are offended by the word "niggardly" which has no common root whatsoever with the racial epithet. Just because a word sounds bad doesn't mean it is. However, I'm now reading two different stories for the basis of the name.

Reminds me of elementary school where the word "muktuk" was used in a lesson and after learning the word is an Inuit word for whale blubber, we named the fat kid in the class "Muktuk." It was later shortened to "Tuck" but remained with him all the way through high school, even used by teachers and coaches. Because we were cruel and insensitve when we were five years old, doesn't mean we have to stay that way.

Food related, I haven't had one from Chinks only because I haven't found myself in the neighborhood when the siren song of cheesesteaks calls. It's on my list though.

I don't fault the original owner for accepting his nickname.  1930 was a long time ago.  And yes, he turned it into a successful business.  But I don't think that we have to lament the passing of the name and point fingers at PC behavior as the culprit when all that is occurring is that someone showed some maturity.

saps
    • Total Posts : 1565
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/04/02 15:55:01 (permalink)

I wouldn't call it political correctness. Sounds more like good business sense.

Probably doesn't make good business sense to change the name of a long-term successful business.

• Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/04/02 23:58:37 (permalink)
    Well, there are those two opposing forces: on the one hand, you're right, changing a successful brand name comes with a cost. On the other hand, having a business name that offends a portion of your intended customer base also comes with a cost. The question is, which cost is greater? The owner has presumably done the calculus and made his decision.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/08/08 11:05:25 (permalink)
    The last thing I want to do is stir up something akin to a political debate, but it is interesting  and disappointing that business has declined since the name change.  There are those on here who think he should have kept the name and others who think he did the right thing by changing it.  I am clearly in the latter camp.  It's a shame this is happening to such a great Roadfood restaurant.  I wish I could support it more, but live too far away.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/08/08 13:39:05 (permalink)

From the article ....

<<...."If 10 percent of the do-gooders who cheered him for doing the right thing came in for an occasional steak or shake, he'd be fine."....>>

It would be nice if they would give him some business.   In small shops like that, the owners know the faces of the regulars, so Joe knows who is coming in.    Apparently, the cheerleaders of the name change stabbed him in the back.   That's just so wrong to do that to him. 

Glenn

eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/08/08 14:14:29 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

From the article ....

<<...."If 10 percent of the do-gooders who cheered him for doing the right thing came in for an occasional steak or shake, he'd be fine."....>>

It would be nice if they would give him some business.   In small shops like that, the owners know the faces of the regulars, so Joe knows who is coming in.    Apparently, the cheerleaders of the name change stabbed him in the back.   That's just so wrong to do that to him. 

Glenn

^ This.

Similar to all those who lamented the closing of Chiodo's in Pittsburgh and demanded it be saved as a piece of history, but had actually never been there. 

Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/08/08 17:46:31 (permalink)
    I should stop in the next time I'm in town. The owner used to tease me about ordering my cheese steak with mustard and no sauce or ketchup. The meat was so good that I didn't want to drown it.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1745
    Re:Chink's Changing Its Name 2013/08/11 12:09:12 (permalink)
    I have been following this same discussion on a different board.  I am impressed (as I knew I would be) at how sane the comments are here vs the ranting and ravings of the PC's vs non-PC's on the other board (which has already been threatened to have the thread closed for going off-topic)

Just another reason to stick with Roadfood, despite the rumblings
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1