waste tank

Hamburger
2013/04/01 18:45:01
I know this might be a silly question but im getting ready to buy the waste tank and was wondering does it need to be vented?if so where do I run it to? also I plan on mounting it with a threaded rod and square tubing but how do I keep it from falling through the floor a wingnut on the top of the rod?
Rcoy
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/01 19:47:06
The build thread right below this one has a pretty good pic of a waste tank mount. a nut and washer would work, but some sort of reinforcement might be required depending on the structure of your floor and the size of the tank.
Dgaviolac
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/03 19:35:33
anybody with ideas about the vent?
Rcoy
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/03 20:43:45
through the roof is best, and required in some localities.
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/03 20:47:21
Not sure what the more experienced people will say but I do believe there should be a vent.  It looks like RV's and the like do a pvc vent that goes up through the wall and to the roof.  But it definitely needs to be vented somehow and preferably in a way that doesn't possibly contaminate food, fresh water, the kitchen, etc.

Cheers!!

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:waste tank 2013/04/03 21:26:58
It doesn't really mater what anyone on RF thinks it's what your local codes calls for, both health dept and plumbing. If your building without their advice and guidance chances are your going backwards.
Rcoy
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/03 23:20:47
Dr of BBQ

It doesn't really mater what anyone on RF thinks it's what your local codes calls for, both health dept and plumbing. If your building without their advice and guidance chances are your going backwards.

Yeah that is what I meant to say
Dgaviolac
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/12 18:59:21
So just reread the whole application and it says a vent on the fresh tank is optional so should i or do I not need it and it does not require a vent off the waste tank it just needs to be sloped so what is the recommendation there also
Lost Nation
Cheeseburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/13 07:11:33
I think you need to vent the fresh water tank. Mine is just a 1/2" vinyl tube from a port on the top corner of the tank to a nipple inside and next to the filler door. You need someway to displace the air from the tank while filling it.

I vented my waste tank for the same reason. Right before the drain goes into the floor I put a "Y" fitting that went into the wall, up to the attic and followed the rafters to the vented ridge. I know most go through the roof but I didn't want to penetrate the metal roofing.

Here are some picks of me build wit a picture of the waste vent. Sorry I don't know how to post individual picks on the site

https://picasaweb.google.com/103200304792624046939/2008_05_05#

a.mckenna
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/13 10:06:18
Like everyone said in regards to venting, depends on your local code. A lot of places require it to be vented through the roof. Why? Basic home building code requires it, and they base a large portion of the code for food trucks off house code, guess they where to lazy to write a new set of codes.

As far as wing nuts. Big ass washers at least. 8.35 lbs per gallon of water. Do the math, the thing will be epic heavy when full, and when your moving all that weight is moving around.
Dgaviolac
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/13 19:49:57
there is no requirement in my county for waste vents im just wondering what I should do than whether no vent or a small vent off the tank or td off of the drain
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/13 20:16:19
Its important the tank can breathe, you can have problems if air cannot get in and out to equalize the pressure.  As you add waste water to the tank, the air thats in the tank has to escape, if it can't your drain will be very slow and could start burping.  Same when you empty the tank air must be able to get in.  Roof vents are mostly required as the tanks usually refer to sewage type waste where gasses can build up and be dangerous.  Here's a site for RV's that explains about types of valves:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2...-waste-management.html

These are in the context of sewage, but still can apply.  Take a look at the ASTVD type valve, it may fit your purpose, allowing air in but not out.
a.mckenna
Hamburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/14 00:21:15
The cheap way? Go to Home Depot dot com and search for drain vent. First one on the list should be like 3 bucks, cheater vent. After your P trap put a Y in the line, one side going down to the tank, other end stub on a cheater vent. Works wonders for a quick and cheap solution.
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/14 02:19:42
I would not use a Y off of the drain pipe, especially if that is the only drain pipe in the system.  Unlike a home where the discharge container is quite large, in a small system using a sealed tank the vent should be independent.  If you Y off of the drain pipe when you put water in that pipe the pressure will build up as the air is trapped in the tank.  If you have multiple pipes going into the tank then its not as big an issue.  I'd personally use an independent vent.  Also remember however you vent it, if the location of the vent opening is inside the truck you will get a blast of that air out of the tank whenever you use the drain in your truck.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/16 06:41:47
I just vent the fresh to the vent on my fill,and a elbow and 5" of 1/2" PVC pointed up to vent the grey water.roof vents are for black water.but yes you need vents or it's like sucking the juice out of a juice box,or blowing up the same.
stinger159
Junior Burger
Re:waste tank 2013/04/24 00:10:13
You can use a brass nipple in the tank with vinyl tubing going thru the wall to the roof