Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
2013/04/06 16:24:36 (permalink)

Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers

Never heard of them until Yesterday, but I guess they have 150+ stores in 18 states and opening more all the time.
Went to the one in Tempe, near ASU naturally, to try it out. All they sell is chicken fingers. Period. Accompanied by fries, Texas toast & coleslaw and a remoulade style sauce.
I expected overcooked, dried out tasteless chicken but was pleasantly surprised! It was moist, tender and seasoned nicely.
The fries were plain old frozen fries, the toast was pretty good and I really liked the dipping sauce. The coleslaw was just OK.
When I go back, I'll just order the chicken and maybe some toast.
They promote Community involvement and are involved in a lot of charitable work.
The place should go gangbusters when ASU Tailgating season arrives.
http://raisingcanes.com/
Anyone else have any experiences with the chain?

18 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8074
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/06 18:59:29 (permalink)
    I only know about them because the company was featured on Undercover Boss.

I'd be willing to give them a try.  They just need to be more geographically convenient.
    Texascajun
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/07 00:14:30 (permalink)
    We have been there a couple times. My 15 year old who loves chicken tenders doesn't like their tenders (fingers). I only sampled my kids food that they didn't eat on these occasions and it was good not great. Their sweet tea was really good though. Lots of people really like the cane's sauce, a mixture of mayo, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and black pepper i beleive. My family that lives in Louisiana say the food is ok but they treat there employees really good.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/07 02:12:00 (permalink)
    mar52
    I only know about them because the company was featured on Undercover Boss.
    I'd be willing to give them a try.  They just need to be more geographically convenient.

There's 5 in Las Vegas, 3 in PHX and 44 in TX, next time you're over there.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/07 02:56:27 (permalink)
    The sauce from described sounds like a very common and generic institutional dipping sauce that's often augumented with lemon juice, vinegar, and paprika and similar to a comeback sauce which is a bit more involved. We've tried recipes similar to the above and variations from a simple catsup/mayo/pepper to several involved Mississippi comeback recipes with all kinds of ingredients such as horseraddish, relish/pickles, curry powder, grated onion, heinz chili sauce, hot sauce, to even using Cajun seasonings. None were well received for our fried chicken strips, cutlet sandwiches, or wraps.

DawnT
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/07 13:18:44 (permalink)
    I did a little reading about the chain and the sauce last evening after posting. Most postings are convinced the ingredients are what TXcajun posted although I did find a few from past employees that claimed they used to mix it on location with a non-disclosure agreement, but confirmed the same ingredients. Some claim it's identical or a ripoff of an AL restaurant called Guthrie's.
    A couple of other employees claim the the other employees on record are wrong and missing about 2 other ingredients. Not having tasted it, I don't know, but I would suspect that a Creole/Cajun Remoulade would have a bit of a noticable kick beyond the amount of black pepper & ingredients above even with the addition of paprika and lemon juice. We tried so many variations on this theme a few years for the sandwich station and gave up on a mayo/catsup based sauce.

With all of the web info and inquiries on the sauce, I'm surprised that there is so little interest in the marinade or the breader if the chicken strips are so spectacular. Only thing that I found was one ex-employee claimed that it was nothing more then iced chicken mixed with water and msg and the breader was nothing more then a flour finer then AP.

The streamlined simplicity of the menu I find interesting in a day that established QSR's that have traditionally focused on doing a few things right are now being forced to diversify. Yet startups seem to be praised for very basic menus with few choices that seem to be the current formula for success.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/07 16:57:53 (permalink)
    It is indeed a clone of Guthrie's, down to the sauce.  Zaxby's was also a Guthrie's clone, but they expanded the menu very early on, before they started franchising.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/08 10:12:58 (permalink)
    Foodbme

When I go back, I'll just order the chicken and maybe some toast.

They will let you substitue an extra toast for the cole slaw at no extra charge if you ask.  You can also ask for the toast to be BBS which is browned both sides as the standard was in only one side is browned.  I pick it up after work once a month or so as it right on my way home.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/08 20:00:18 (permalink)
    I used to dislike Canes as the chicken was limp and no crunch. My office goes there all the time so one time I asked if they could cook mine well done. Which I found is a very common request. Fries can be ordered this way also. The sauce given is never enough so order extra as it is great. Works well on the bread and fries also. If a lot of people are eating you can actually order it by the cup 22 oz or 32 oz....Russ
    DawnT
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/09 01:41:19 (permalink)
    From what gather, the clones of the original Guthrie's such as Zaxby's, RC's, Billy Bob's and others have retained the simple process of brining fresh chicken with MSG and single coating in unseasoned flour. The remoulade sauce or others they provide is what makes up for the flavor. I've never had any of them unil recently, so I'm clueless beyond what I've read about their process and marketing that seem to be pivot around their sauces rather then the taste and seasoning of the chicken.

Any independent assessment of the chicken? Is it just salty or bland? I do hear that Zaxby's does season their fries and some of their other products unlike the others and has a much expanded menu, otherwise the core product/ chicken strips and original sauces varies very little between the chains.
    Next time I'm up in TN, I'm going to make a point of trying Zaxby's which I understand has popped up everywhere.

Any comments on the core sides such as the cole slaw (sweet or vinegary ?), TX toast/Garlic Bread or fries? I keep hearing references to the cole slaws and fries tasting like bulk Sysco/foodservice institutional offerings. Are the breads frozen fare as well?

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/09 13:14:51 (permalink)
    I thought this was a chain only in the Louisiana area and the name threw me, because before I ate there I thought it had something to do with being cooked with sugar cane in some way (not such a dumb idea since LA is such a major sugar cane producer, might even be good that way).

The chicken's pretty good but I don't like the sauce, reminds me of Thousand Island dressing with catsup and something peppery to give it a little kick.  
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/10 13:56:57 (permalink)
    DawnT

Any comments on the core sides such as the cole slaw (sweet or vinegary ?), TX toast/Garlic Bread or fries? I keep hearing references to the cole slaws and fries tasting like bulk Sysco/foodservice institutional offerings. Are the breads frozen fare as well?

I haven't had the slaw in a awhile as once I decided I didn't like it, i just started asking for a second piece of toast.  My memory is that it was a mayo base and very bland.  The toast is like a new england hot dog roll that isn't split and has sesame seeds.  They butter one side and brown it.  The fires are just standard frozen crinkle cut which I happen to like.  The problem is that they cook things to order so everything is ripping hot when served.  That is great when you are eating in but 90% of the time I am going through the drive-thru.  They put the to go orders in Styrofoam clam shell containers.  So within minutes the fries lose their crispiness and just become average.  They are only good for dipping in the cane sauce at that point.
    DawnT
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/10 18:58:30 (permalink)
    Maybe some of these chains besides Zaxby's have figured out the success from limiting the paradox of choice and sticking with it. Confusing in a day where investor driven operations decline when things get stale and continuously diversify to keep themselves current. This seems to be cyclic during the past 40 years of QSR's where they max out and return to their roots. I guess we'll be seeing it again within the next 5 years. 
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/04/12 11:55:57 (permalink)
    Haven't tried the one in Schertz yet.Someone at work told me the chicken strips,,fingers or whatever you call them reminded them of Chic-Fila.
    We have a Golden Chick on Pat Booker Road in Live Oak up next to the movie theatre I want to try.They have fried chicken as well as fried tenders grilled chicken,,fried catfish,,and  salads and a variety of sides.
    I like to geat the tenders once in awhile,but not everyday.Trying to loose weight and staying away from the fried foods.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 535
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/10/30 01:18:27 (permalink)
    I was in Lexington, Ky., this week and tried both Raising Cane's and Zaxby's for the first time. I pretty much enjoy all food and am rarely critical, and I liked both places.

I agree with BelleReve that the Cane's sauce reminded me of glorified 1,000 Island. Zaxby's too for that matter. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

I liked the chicken both places, I loved the sweet tea both places (that's hard to get in southern Ohio although it's getting better), and the fries were very good at Cane's, not as good at Zaxby's.

At Cane's, I told the cashier I hadn't been there before and he threw out there that I could sub the toast for cole slaw, and I'm glad I did. Cane's had great Texas Toast. Definitely better than Zaxby's.

There are definitely good things about both places, although I think if Popeye's moved down I-75 or Bojangle's moved north it would make like rough on those two chains. Even people in central Kentucky think KFC is bad.
    post edited by Bonk - 2013/10/30 01:20:03
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/10/30 10:19:20 (permalink)
    I still haven't ried it yet,nor Golden Chick. Really trying to stay away from the fried stuff,but I should try both once. We have Popeye's here,Church's naturally(started in San Antonio),and out in New Braunfels and Seguin there is also Golden chick an dChicken Express. Forogt we also have here Bush's Fried chicken.
     No Bojangles or Zaxby's here .
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 535
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/12/11 19:21:31 (permalink)
    My wife and I had to make two trips to Lexington, and I had her try both. She liked Zaxby's slightly better, I liked Cane's slightly better.

We have a place called Tender Towne that opened right down the street from us that really looks like it wants to become a chain. I'll have to give it a try.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2013/12/11 22:50:03 (permalink)
    We just had one open up about 2 miles from the house. It was a Gas Station that was demolished and the Canes building erected and open within 3 months, start to finish. the place has been packed. Kinda like the Coors Beer, In N Out Burger, Krispy Kreme mystique.  I stopped in and got just 3 tender pieces, nothing else, and the bill was $5.30 Tax included. Not worth it.
    Ram4
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers 2014/01/27 15:26:23 (permalink)
    I love Raising Cane's.  A simple menu, you know what you are getting, and it tastes great.  I hope they come to the Chicago area soon.  There is a clone of this style place called Chicken Now that opened in a mall here (Rosemont, IL) that I want to try.  I've had Zaxby's, and I like that too.  There's one more called Guthrie's in the south I have not had.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1