Canned soups

Junior Burger
2013/04/10 18:21:15
What is your favorite brand and kind of canned soup? 
bwave
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/10 19:45:23
There is only one canned soup I'll eat the rest are horrible.  Campbell's Minestrone.  The only thing I wish is that they'd stop tinkering with the recipe.  It used to be vegetarian as Minestrone should be.  Then they started adding egg whites, then they took them out and added chicken broth, now they have both in them.   I also wish they'd leave the green beans out.   (prefer only white and kidney beans in my soup)

Every other soup these days has no flavor and is too "expensive" with the lack of ingredients.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/10 20:06:46
Strangely enough Campbell's French Onion Soup is good when doctored up with toast and Gruyere.

Trader Joe's has a boxed tomato and red pepper soup that is outstanding as is.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/10 21:22:00
Although I very rarely buy canned soups because of their relatively high sodium content, I do like to buy a New England style clam chowder every so often.

I like both Progresso and Campbell's "premium" versions.

Campbell's makes a Chunky Chicken & Corn Chowder which appealed to me but after looking at the sodium content I put it back on the shelf.

Campbell's French Onion soup is good for adding to a braised pot roast.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/10 21:25:08
Further to my above post, Trader Joe's will open a Dallas store very close to me later this spring and I'm quite anxious to peruse their offerings. 

FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/10 22:03:03
Some canned soups are good, but I find I doctor mine, no matter what they are. more onion, garlic, MEAT (always woefully inadequate to me), pasta or rice, etc.

As stated elsewhere, for NE style Clam Chowder, I add a can of clams. half the broth, usually some onion and garlic, often chopped bacon. Progressos I find the best as a base....could even tolerate it unadulterated
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 07:01:13
Pepperidge Farm makes good soup. While I like Campbells french onion, theirs is a bit better. But also more expensive.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 10:27:31
I refuse to eat any canned soup.  Ranks right up there with Boyardee ravioli and canned vegetables.  Yuck. 
SeamusD
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 10:29:23
I generally only eat canned soup if I'm on a tight budget. Wegman's brand vegetable (99¢) is pretty decent, as is their tomato soup (50¢). I like them better than Campbell's versions.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 11:08:27
Unlike lleechef I love some canned soups. Campbell's tomato soup is a big favorite. I use milk in place of water when heating it. I also like Campbell's chicken rice soup. I used to love Snow's clam chowder, but they've messed with the recipe and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

And the good news is, Kroger is offering Chef Boyardee at ten for ten dollars.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 11:11:15
Michael Hoffman

Unlike lleechef I love some canned soups. Campbell's tomato soup is a big favorite. I use milk in place of water when heating it. I also like Campbell's chicken rice soup. I used to love Snow's clam chowder, but they've messed with the recipe and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Funny, Ohio is the most northern state I've ever heard of having Kroger. Here in the south there's one on every corner, great stores!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 11:17:50
Kroger is an Ohio company. Its headquarters is in Cincinnati.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 11:18:58
FriedClamFanatic

Some canned soups are good, but I find I doctor mine, no matter what they are. more onion, garlic, MEAT (always woefully inadequate to me), pasta or rice, etc.

As stated elsewhere, for NE style Clam Chowder, I add a can of clams. half the broth, usually some onion and garlic, often chopped bacon. Progressos I find the best as a base....could even tolerate it unadulterated

Basil in chicken noodle soup makes it edible! 
Also, canned Cream of Chicken soup, saute some onion and a glove of garlic until translucent, add to the soup!
Which brings me off topic, pork and beans! Saute finely chopped onion and bell pepper, add to pork and beans along with 1/4 cup of so of honey bbq sauce, heat and let sit awhile to let flavors combine, pretty good stuff!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 12:14:38
FriedClamFanatic

Very good! I always add a can or two of chopped clams to my canned chowder as well. I add the broth first and then add the chopped clams after the chowder is heated thru and the gas is turned off. That way, the clams stay soft and don't toughen up from cooking.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 12:21:30
Michael Hoffman

I love Kroger. Wholefoods and Kroger plus a few specialty stores are the only stores I shop at.

ALL GOOD
Hamburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:05:20
Campbells Cream of Potato... made with 2% milk, and once heated through, I add 3 broken up slices of american cheese to it and stir until melted.  not bad at all!

FriedClamFanatic
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:26:43
Michael Hoffman

Over on another board, folks are screaming about what Snows has done to its Clam Chowder.....with good reason IMHO.  For some reason, most of the manufacturers now think NE style Clam Chowder should have the consistency of Kindergarten Paste......unfortunately, it also has the taste.  Even the clams must not like it since there seems to be less and less of them in it
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:49:38
I like adding a couple of slices of American cheese to Campbell's Tomato soup, with 1/2& 1/2!
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:49:39
I like adding a couple of slices of American cheese to Campbell's Tomato soup, with 1/2& 1/2!
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:50:06
Michael Hoffman

That's strange, never heard of Kroger until I moved to Atlanta. They aren't in western NY state that's for sure, kind of odd that they are in Georgia!
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 13:53:51
Michael Hoffman

Cool, found the map!!

http://find.mapmuse.com/map/kroger

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 14:00:59
Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

I love Kroger. Wholefoods and Kroger plus a few specialty stores are the only stores I shop at.

We mostly use Kroger as a convenience store, and for several items that they don't carry at the Giant Eagle where the bulk of our shopping takes place.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 14:28:36
Kroger's here is Ralph's.

Interesting about Snow's.  Used to really enjoy a can with a can of clams.  A couple months ago I prepared a pot for myself and it was just awful.

ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 14:29:48
Michael Hoffman

Snow's clam chowder was good until Bumble Bee got involved.  Now it is no good.  I also used to like Bookbinder's snapper soup.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 20:09:55
Campbells Tomato soup is good made with milk. That is how we like it......and Bob has to have saltines crushed in it.....
agnesrob
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 20:39:50
ALL GOOD

Campbells Cream of Potato... made with 2% milk, and once heated through, I add 3 broken up slices of american cheese to it and stir until melted.  not bad at all!

All God,  Welcome to Roadfood! And the way you have tweaked that Campbell's soup sounds like what I like to do! 
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 21:30:26
Campbell's tomato soup made with milk - with a grilled cheese sandwich, made on cheap a**white bread and Velveta.

Barney
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/11 22:39:46
I like Heinz Tomato Soup when I can find it!  Also, their Potato Leek is pretty good as well. 

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/12 04:54:10
Campbell's Bean with Bacon, Homestyle Chicken noodle and Cream of Chicken... that's it for me. I've tried a couple of Progresso's, but found them to be rather flavorless.
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/13 21:07:18
Campbell's Bean with Bacon has been a favorite as far back as I can remember, and I still love it (provided that I take my Beano first!).
Worthmore's Mock Turtle soup is another favorite.
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/13 23:44:36
Campbell's tomato bisque. add tomato bits, and heat with 3/4 cup of real whole milk....yummmmmmmmy!
DawnT
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/13 23:54:30
I keep a 4 of Publix's tomato and a can or two of their cream of chicken for cooking. I don't know what happend at Campbell's over the years, but by the 90's, the soups started to taste very different and thinner in condensed form.

During the late 80's and to mid 90's, they had a wonderful Basil tomato soup which was replaced with an Italian Tomato Basil and Oregano. Both were part of my meatloaf recipe. Both long gone.  I use either Publix or Winn Dixie's regular tomato soup that taste more like Campbell's used to. I only use the generic cream of chicken in the classic green bean casserole b/c my kids and now my spouse hate the thought of eating cream of mushroom as called for in the original recipe.
Jennifer_4
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/14 12:45:04
I've always loved Campbell's Bean with Bacon, Split Pea with Ham, and Chicken Noodle (great for what ails you!).  I also use the Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom as bases for different dishes.  As for the Tomato, I enjoy adding basil, oregano, and mozzarella to make it "italian" tasting.  The Chunky brand Chicken Corn Chowder is also very good.
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/14 12:56:15
I'm also a fan of Campbell's bean & bacon soup but mostly I keep some cans of Progresso on hand for a quick meal; I enjoy the lentil soup.

Healthy Choice bean & ham soup is surprisingly good for what it is.
pineyhill
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/14 17:11:48
Michael Hoffman

Michael, we do the same thng at home w/ Campbell's Tomato Soup, plus a couple pats of butter. Quite tasty.
Then add a toasted cheese sandwich to that, heaven.
post edited by pineyhill - 2013/04/14 17:13:54
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/14 17:56:31
Campbell's Bean and Bacon is delicious. My grandparents liked to make it with a can of V8 instead of water and I do the same thing. Tasty!
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/15 09:45:06
Based on the posts in this thread I've come to the conclusion that bacon and ham make things better.
SeamusD
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/15 10:20:09
Also a fan of Campbell's Bean with Bacon. Wegmans also does a version that is just as good, for almost a buck less per can. I have a can in my desk to have for lunch today.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/17 11:43:18
My favorite canned soups:
Pepper Pot
Scotch Broth
Both by Campbell's
Sadly, both discontinued. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/17 13:25:22
Favorites of mine in my youth, Chris! I dont think most people under a certain age would even know what Scotch Broth is!
DawnT
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/19 21:22:05
Or Scotch tape or Scotch Plaid Trading Stamps. Think it became only Plaid later on for reasons below. You no longer hear the pejorative of someone or something being "Scotch" as a term for being frugal or cheap. The McFrugal's chain caught a lot of hell over that. It's the original reason that 3M named their adhesive tape and even Studabaker had a Scottsman vehicle that was their stripped-down budget vehicle.
BTW, Campbell's and Heinz still make the soups. Campbell's only sells it in Canada and the Heinz I think is limited to the Euro market now.

ann peeples

Favorites of mine in my youth, Chris! I dont think most people under a certain age would even know what Scotch Broth is!

kathy_in_wlsv
Cheeseburger
Re:Canned soups 2013/04/22 12:03:44
we keep a few cans of Wegmans Cream of Chicken soup and Tomato soup in the pantry.  Oh yeah theres a can of cheddar cheese soup there too. I was fgoing to use it for something...
 Hubbby thinks canned C of C soup is  a cure all for anything that ails him and the kids can't eat grilled cheese sandwiches without the tomato soup to dunk them in, but otherwise I make  the soup here. (Last night was chicken and dumplings.)