The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Oyster Crackers

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
Oyster Crackers Mon, 04/15/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
Ms OC and I just had lunch at the Crab Trap in Somers Point.  I was sad to find that they no longer put oyster crackers and horseradish on the tables.   I thought they were standard at a seafood restaurant.  I love munching on them while I wait for my food.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
    Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 04/15/13 4:16 PM (permalink)
    Did you request them?  Sometimes things that used to be on tables are still available.  They've been taken off of tables just because so much of them were wasted.

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
      Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 04/15/13 5:16 PM (permalink)
      I find that more and more restaurants dont always put out items that they should be putting out!  Maybe, who knows they are simply trying to save money??
      For instance (and I know Coco's isnt everyones favorite place to eat) part of EVERY meal served at Coco's is supposed to consist of bread and butter but you have to ASK for it otherwise they dont bring it!  Too bad too as their bread is fresh baked and delicious!
      And would someone PLEASE tell me WHY when you order breakfast anywhere they no longer serve you toast with it??  It's an extra and has to be paid for as a side item!  
      When I was a kid and you ordered breakfast of any kind you always had your choice of toast whether it be Wheat, Rye, Sourdough or Pumperknickel.  

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
        Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 04/15/13 9:26 PM (permalink)
        iluvcfood

I find that more and more restaurants dont always put out items that they should be putting out!  Maybe, who knows they are simply trying to save money??
        For instance (and I know Coco's isnt everyones favorite place to eat) part of EVERY meal served at Coco's is supposed to consist of bread and butter but you have to ASK for it otherwise they dont bring it!  Too bad too as their bread is fresh baked and delicious!
        And would someone PLEASE tell me WHY when you order breakfast anywhere they no longer serve you toast with it??  It's an extra and has to be paid for as a side item!  
        When I was a kid and you ordered breakfast of any kind you always had your choice of toast whether it be Wheat, Rye, Sourdough or Pumperknickel.  

Don't know where you eat breakfast but every place I've been, you have your choice of toasted breads and many offer Biscuits on english muffins or bagels as well. I've never had to pay extra for toast, NEVER!
        <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 04/15/13 9:27 PM>

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Tue, 04/16/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
          mar52

Did you request them?  Sometimes things that used to be on tables are still available.  They've been taken off of tables just because so much of them were wasted.

I did ask our server, she said that they didn't have oyster crackers anymore.
          <message edited by ChrisOC on Tue, 04/16/13 9:26 AM>

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Tue, 04/16/13 10:21 AM (permalink)
            I got a response to my email to the manager of the Crab Trap.  They explained that they did away with the oyster crackers and horseradish for "sanitary reasons" They were concerned over the possibility of germs being transferred via the open cracker and horseradish containers.  Sounds like a legal or insurance issue to me.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
              Re:Oyster Crackers Tue, 04/16/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
              It's definitely a rarity to find a place that charges for toast, but there's a very popular place in Menlo Park that charges $2 for it.  In fact, almost all of their breakfast items are a la carte and expensive.  So I don't get egg dishes there, but I love their waffles, and they don't charge extra for real maple syrup.

By the way, oyster crackers are great palate cleansers--they use them at the judging tables at the National Pie Championships, and it really helps!

Foodbme

iluvcfood

Don't know where you eat breakfast but every place I've been, you have your choice of toasted breads and many offer Biscuits on english muffins or bagels as well. I've never had to pay extra for toast, NEVER!

<message edited by love2bake on Tue, 04/16/13 11:15 AM>

Tony Bad

Re:Oyster Crackers Tue, 04/16/13 11:49 AM (permalink)
                ChrisOC

I got a response to my email to the manager of the Crab Trap.  They explained that they did away with the oyster crackers and horseradish for "sanitary reasons" They were concerned over the possibility of germs being transferred via the open cracker and horseradish containers.  Sounds like a legal or insurance issue to me.

Health department told my friend he couldn't have bowls of nuts, pretzels, etc at his bar. That was quite a few years ago. 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
                  Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 2:22 AM (permalink)
                  Maybe The Crab Trap will eventually realize that if/when they have a traditional complimentary popular item that has to change as far as serving...

http://www.foodspotting.c...estaurant-somers-point

A simple solution....change the system from moving the oyster crackers & horseradish from table to table (ick) in the same containers leftover & picked-over (ick) to individual portions that are upon request at a minimal charge.

I'd pay a fee bucks for some nice oyster crackers & fresh horseradish of my own. I'd pay about $1000 NOT to eat oyster crackers & horseradish that have been worked-over several times by various people.
                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 04/17/13 2:28 AM>

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 9:09 AM (permalink)
                    The crackers and horseradish were on each table, where they stayed all day.  I suppose there was a sanitation issue.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 9:28 AM (permalink)
                      It would be very easy for the restaurant to provide individually wrapped oyster crackers. Any food service distibutor has them. Horse radish not so sure, but i am sure one of their employees could take 15 minutes and cup up the stuff, and keep it refrigerated..available upon reuest.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                        Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 10:56 AM (permalink)
                        I agree Ann, the kitchen could give a small cup of horshradish on request. These are the oyster crackers they serve at Anthony's at Seatac airport. While traveling last week we had a 6AM Fish and Chips with a bowl of Clam Chowder call. We had a wait for our plane down to California. I thought it was funny, I was eating a bowl of Clam Chowder in the Pacific Northwest while eating oyster crackers from New England.
                           OC, I would have thanked them for taking the oyster crackers off the table, in today's world you never know what people may put into the bowl for the next customer.....

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
                          Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 3:17 PM (permalink)
                          Phillipe's French Dip did away with the mustard crocks on each table, probably for the same reason.  They replaced the crocks with squeeze bottles.

Health issues have become a big issue.

Not having Oyster Crackers in a seafood restaurant is just not right.  Individual packages by request!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                            Re:Oyster Crackers Wed, 04/17/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                            We get bowls of oyster crackers (they were Oysterettes when I was being brung up) when we visit Cincinnati style chili places.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                              Re:Oyster Crackers Thu, 04/18/13 1:47 PM (permalink)
                              Foodbme

iluvcfood

That surprises me as well.  I've occasionally seen a small upcharge for a toasted hard roll or english muffin, but rarely see just eggs on a menu - no toast.  Actually, that would be nice (ordering the eggs without toast), as we could share one order of toast as we are trying to cut down on carbs.

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 07/15/13 1:08 PM (permalink)
                                Had lunch at the Crab Trap yesterday.
                                Oyster crackers are back!
                                They are not left in a goblet on the table as they were in the past, but they throw some in the basket with your rolls.  Horseradish is in a small lidded crock on the table.

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 07/15/13 1:38 PM (permalink)

You can see the oyster crackers served the old way in this photo.  That's the horseradish on the left.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                                    Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 07/15/13 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                    That's a nice looking plate of food.  Even better, am I mistaken or is that a fish shaped platter it is served on?!

The Oyster Bar in Phila. serves horseradish and oyster crackers on the table, in a goblet no less.  I think the "health issue" is a made up excuse for businesses to stop serving freebies.

ChrisOC

Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 07/15/13 3:24 PM (permalink)
                                      It is a fish shaped platter.  You can see it better when the picture of the lobster comes up on their home page.  The picture I posted shows their First Mate...a cold seafood platter.

http://www.thecrabtrap.com/

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
                                        Re:Oyster Crackers Mon, 07/15/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                                        I always bought oyster crackers in little packets.  There would've been a revolt in Boston if there were no crackers with the "chowdah".  When we first opened the Black Cow we served goldfish in bowls at the bar.  HD said no good, so we put them in tall wine carafes so you had to pour them out into your hand rather than just grab in and eat.  Made sense to me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com