The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How much does your dog on your cart cost you?

BobbyVang

• Total Posts: 62
How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Thu, 04/25/13 4:26 AM (permalink)
How much does the items on your cart cost you? and how much do you sell your item for? I've finally found a commissary and I've now taken this seriously. I dropped by 4 nearby grocery supermarkets and this is what calculated.

14 Polish Sausages: 4.40 (31 cents a dog.)
6 Stadium Buns: 1.40 (23 cents a bun.)

So one hot dog would be 54 cents for me, I would just randomly estimate 10 cents of condiment per dog. So totaling 64 cents per dog.

How much are you guys paying for yours? And how much are you guys selling the dogs for? Just wondering. 
<message edited by BobbyVang on Thu, 04/25/13 9:35 AM>

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
    Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Thu, 04/25/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
    I personally have not liked any of the Polish Sausages I've tried here in my area.
    I use Nathans 8-1 either the the regular or the longer thin ones that stick out of the buns. No one's complained about either.
    Nathans 8-1, I purchase from Kroger's or Walmart's for $2.99 to $3.75. Because of shopping, I've never paid the over $5 to $6 per package they try to get sometimes.

I had been getting Sara Lee Buns 16 to a pack at Sam's Club for $2.18 but I think they just raised the price to $2.29.
    <message edited by brickboo on Thu, 04/25/13 11:11 AM>

djdawg

• Total Posts: 439
      Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 12:55 PM (permalink)
      Get good product... Don't buy from supermarket's. Make yours special even if it costs more. What size are the polish you bought? Mine are 4:1 and I charge $5 (includes any condiments they want...except Chili which is .50 extra) and no one has complained about the price. I'm about in line with others pricing and might even be a bit lower... But my polish is about the best I have ever tasted.

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 1:15 PM (permalink)
        Yeah, I've decided to used the CostCo Kirkland Specials. They're about 83 cents each, but I was thinking since they're such a big size increase from the last dog I could jump the price up from 2$ to 3$.

www2.costco (DOT) com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11895236&whse=BD_578&topnav=bdoff
        <message edited by BobbyVang on Sat, 04/27/13 1:16 PM>

djdawg

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 2:13 PM (permalink)
          Isn't there anything else available for product in your area?  Nothing against Costco dogs but....you should do a search on some of my threads about selling an experience instead of just selling dogs.

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 2:20 PM (permalink)
            Well only thing we have here that's all beef is Nathan's, Oscar Mayer's and the CostCo's Kirklands.

djdawg

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 2:29 PM (permalink)
              Is there a reason you're looking at an all beef only item?  I offer 5 different items I sell on my cart and none are all beef....don't forget if it has a natural casing that is probably sheep or pork....

djdawg

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 2:36 PM (permalink)
                Not sure if this is an option for you but you might want to look at finding your dogs locally.  Locally sourced and all that crap is hot right now (I could give a rat's azz about it but others like it) and I get my meat from a local meat....um....guy?  LOL He's bigger than what a butcher would be classified as but I'm not sure what you call the company...I'm blanking out at this moment.  They have one retail store in the big city that is near me but other than that they are wholesale only.  You might pay a bit more for something like that but it will set you apart from others....

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
                  Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 2:39 PM (permalink)
                  Have you tried Millers?
                  Products
                  Contact
                  <message edited by chefbuba on Mon, 04/29/13 10:37 AM>

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
                    Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sat, 04/27/13 3:59 PM (permalink)
                    Well, I sell a dog that everyone around here in Sh*tSplat, VA loves and it costs me .19 by the ten pack, .15 by the case of 100. Been paying about .50 for Nathans and .60 for Hillshire Farms Smoked Brats.
                    What's killing me is finding a decent bun.
                    My local corner market had Merita for cheaper than Wal-mart. Liked them cuz they weren't stuck together. Made by Hostess.....gone.
                    They replaced them with Flowers brand, which was fine....and then the store went outta business.
                    I hate having to apolagize about the quality of the bun.
                    Luckily, my chili and slaw are so awesome so few notice.

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Mon, 04/29/13 3:37 AM (permalink)
                      How are Hebrews rated among you guys? Went to a different supermarket and they carried these. They were more expensive than Nathan's.

djtomatoe

• Total Posts: 197
                        Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Thu, 05/2/13 12:11 PM (permalink)
                        try looking for local butcher that makes sausages and hot dogs..the more local the better
                        people will pay for quality.
                        i sell my local dog for $3.75, and my local sausages for $6.50
                        do your research and work on correct pricing.......it will pay off in the end
                        <message edited by djtomatoe on Sat, 05/18/13 11:38 AM>

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Fri, 05/3/13 6:19 AM (permalink)
                          djtomatoe

try looking for local butcher that makes sausages and hot dogs..the more locl the better

Alright. Thanks.

One question for you, does your customers ever complain about the price? 

brickboo

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Fri, 05/3/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
                            Hey folks wake up,
                            I know a vendor who  claims that he purchases an exotic sausage for $4 and sells it for $10 to $14. I laughed at first, then I checked out the median income in his neighborhood, it turns out that it is near $100,000 per household. That's right 100 grand per household!!! If I lived there I'd try $25 for that dog.

Then many more here on the forum are talking about me being too cheap. I looked up some of their cities and they have a median household income in excess of $65,000. 
                            Now if the median household income where you are located is under $36,00 per household, than you can forget all about these big time high priced sausages.

I'm lucky to get $3 for a slaw chili dog. Most of my sales are $2 dogs with mustard and ketchup. Yuck!!

Location, location, location is more about where you live than what corner you set up at. It isn't real good on any corner where I live. I set up at Habitat For Humanity where there is three or four times the parking and walking by traffic as Walgreens, and last fall the business wasn't as good as Walgreens.

Figure that out. Is it my appearance? I use Nathans, my cart is clean do any of you big money guys look this good?
                             HA, HA!!!!!  http://cajunenterprises.com/
                            <message edited by brickboo on Fri, 05/3/13 10:31 AM>

djtomatoe

• Total Posts: 197
                              Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Fri, 05/3/13 11:40 AM (permalink)
                              BobbyVang

djtomatoe

try looking for local butcher that makes sausages and hot dogs..the more locl the better

Alright. Thanks.

One question for you, does your customers ever complain about the price? 

in 8 years,,only one complaint

brickboo

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Sun, 05/5/13 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                Sam's club. 23 cent. First time purchased yesterday. My son and I liked them equally as well as Nathans. Different taste but good tasting too. Couldn't tell if they held up as good as Nathans or not. I was too busying slinging. Over $330 in two hours and that was it. Hardly had time to heat them up. 

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Mon, 05/6/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                  Damn that's a great profit for 2 hours. If you don't mind, where do you do it at in your city?

brickboo

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Mon, 05/6/13 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                    Bobby,
                                    I just started last fall. For the most part Hot Dogs are not big sellers where I live. At least it seems that way so far.

The few good days were an Auction for $200 gross did coffee and donuts too 8 to 2 PM. The week before an Auction for $100 same hours. Then a few weeks ago a horse show, and again coffee and donuts to start, we did $350 8 to 2PM.

Yesterday Sunday including tips $330 plus. That's gross not profit. It was a fundraising 5K Marathon with 272 registered for the run/walk event.

A lady stopped at my regular Walgreens' location bought a dog and asked if I'd be interested in catering the Marathon. The events are obviously are going to be the things to do. 

Tristan225

• Total Posts: 350
                                      Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Tue, 05/7/13 12:32 AM (permalink)
                                      Sounds like you are starting to find some mojo. Just put in the time and get that pretty face out there! There's a guy in Fort Collins doing snoballs, you should check it out. Maybe some Yak-a-mein soup.
                                      brickboo

Bobby,
                                      I just started last fall. For the most part Hot Dogs are not big sellers where I live. At least it seems that way so far.

The few good days were an Auction for $200 gross did coffee and donuts too 8 to 2 PM. The week before an Auction for $100 same hours. Then a few weeks ago a horse show, and again coffee and donuts to start, we did $350 8 to 2PM.

Yesterday Sunday including tips $330 plus. That's gross not profit. It was a fundraising 5K Marathon with 272 registered for the run/walk event.

A lady stopped at my regular Walgreens' location bought a dog and asked if I'd be interested in catering the Marathon. The events are obviously are going to be the things to do. 

brickboo

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Tue, 05/7/13 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                        Tristan225

Sounds like you are starting to find some mojo. Just put in the time and get that pretty face out there! There's a guy in Fort Collins doing snoballs, you should check it out. Maybe some Yak-a-mein soup.
                                        brickboo

Kirk,
                                        Some of the folks that got me selling hot dogs are now selling 3 and 4 thousand dollar ice cream bikes or 2 or more thousand dollars for snoball equipment.

I'm getting ready to buy a lemon juicer and try Lemon Shake-Ups. I think I can start that for under $100. I might can work that in with the Hot Dogs. I might need to purchase another table.

Are you or any other members here doing Lemon Shake-Ups. I've heard it cost .62 cents including the cup and they sell for $3 for a 32oz cup. Man if I could get $2.50 for that, I'd be elated. Maybe that's why I never got rich. 

BobbyVang

Re:How much does your dog on your cart cost you? Fri, 05/10/13 3:21 PM (permalink)
                                          @Chefbuba
                                          Hmm how did I miss this? Is is awesome. Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com