Ever heard of or tried a "meatzza"?

Prof
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 0
Ever heard of or tried a "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 9:50 AM
Heard about this on Bob and Tom radio program this morning.  There is no dough crust.  The ground meat forms the bottom "crust?" with cheese and toppings above.  I don't see how the meat could form a crust.  They mentioned that the cheese acts as a binder.  Anyone tried this?  I have a gluten intolerant relative who might enjoy this if it works.
Prof

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
Re:Ever heard of or tried a "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 9:59 AM
If the meat's sufficiently browned it'll hold together but I don't know if it'd be strong enough to be able to pick up the slice for eating.  I'm guessing one would want to use a very lean ground beef so the pizza doesn't wind up sitting in grease.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Ever heard of or tried a "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 10:40 AM

Prof
Re:Ever heard of "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 7:50 PM
I shortened the title since it was illegible on the home page.  Anyway.  I looked up "meatzza" on youtube and there were lots of vids about how to make it.  I may give it a try. 
6star, thanks for the recipe.  You did not say you had tried it yet.

Prof

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Ever heard of "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 10:15 PM
My husband needs to eat low carb to control his blood sugar. As a treat I have made him an occasional pizza with ground meat as the crust.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Ever heard of "meatzza"? - Wed, 05/1/13 11:24 PM
Prof

I shortened the title since it was illegible on the home page.  Anyway.  I looked up "meatzza" on youtube and there were lots of vids about how to make it.  I may give it a try. 
6star, thanks for the recipe.  You did not say you had tried it yet.

Prof

I have not tried it, and probably I won't, since I am not gluten intolerant.  Be careful on recommending a meatzza recipe to your gluten intolerant relatives, as some of the recipes I found use the name "meatzza" while still having wheat flour in their recipe.

Prof
Re:Ever heard of "meatzza"? - Thu, 05/2/13 8:54 AM
agnesrob

My husband needs to eat low carb to control his blood sugar. As a treat I have made him an occasional pizza with ground meat as the crust.

Agnesrob, thanks for the comment.  Care to share the recipe for the crust?