Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA)

Filet Mignon
2013/05/03 08:30:07
SW 9th Street in Des Moines is home to a number of different places to eat and last Friday I had a chance to check out a couple of them.  Sam's Fine Food has gotten some good online reviews so I thought I'd drop in.

Sam's is a small place with limited seating.  It's behind an unassuming storefront at the rear of a strip mall but was still easy to find, and with "Egg Rolls" painted so prominently on the window it was pretty obvious what I should order.  With 1 meal behind me and 1 more to go I limited myself to a single order of the house ("Sam's") rolls, which are 2 for $2.50.

I'm not sure of the ethnic heritage of this style of roll, but they were definitely smaller and the crust was less pastry-like than the egg rolls I've seen at a lot of Chinese restaurants.  And they were excellent!  My order was ready in no time; the rolls were hot and not too oily, and the filling was crisp and fresh-tasting.  They came with a small container of sort-of-sweet, sort-of-hot sauce that was perfect for dipping, even though they didn't need it.

Sam's has been in business for about 10 years; I glanced at a framed newspaper article on the wall and I believe it said he opened in 2003.  The menu features a variety of egg rolls suitable for snacking and side orders, as well as entrees for those looking for a more substantial meal.  Perhaps someday I'll visit again for something different, but whatever it is will still include an order of the house specialty.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
Re:Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA) 2013/05/03 10:31:24
Its a real "hole in the wall" kind of place.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA) 2013/05/03 21:31:39
Looks so good! Love that kind of place!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA) 2013/05/03 21:44:23
Those look like Viet egg rolls I have had but just a guess. Every egg roll maker has their own variations.
Gianetti
Junior Burger
Re:Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA) 2013/05/03 21:58:29
Looks like spring rolls or lumpia which I prefer to egg rolls because of that great crispy wrapper. They look delish.
starlettmimi
Junior Burger
Re:Sam's Fine Food (Des Moines, IA) 2013/06/20 12:28:55
Hey there!

It's great to see that there's people talking about our place in forums! I'm a representative from Sam's and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Additionally, we recently set up a facebook and twitter.

You can find more info about us or even like us here:

or follow us @SamsFineFoodER

:)