Hot!California, Here We Come!

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/23 21:19:16 (permalink)
Such a great report!! Thanks so much for the effort!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15235
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/23 23:49:29 (permalink)
I don't mind sausage gravy WITH my CFS. I prefer brown beef gravy... AND in a cup or bowl on the side please...I am a "dipper" dunking the crispy CFS bite in the gravy then the dripping combo gets eaten.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2604
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/24 18:08:13 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Thursday April 25th, 2013 (cont.)

Not long after leaving the restaurant, I started not feeling well.  It was a stomach ache, along with dizziness...

Infinity.

Black holes.

Buffetbuster with a tummy ache.

Things that make my mind explode.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/24 18:41:40 (permalink)
From the looks of it I am glad you did this trip this spring.  The wildfires around Yosemite are fierce and are threatening the Sequoias
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/26 09:59:50 (permalink)
JRPfeff

buffetbuster

Thursday April 25th, 2013 (cont.)

Not long after leaving the restaurant, I started not feeling well.  It was a stomach ache, along with dizziness...

Infinity.

Black holes.

Buffetbuster with a tummy ache.

Things that make my mind explode.
Cousin Johnny agreeing to only eating half a burger.....

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/26 10:05:45 (permalink)
CajunKing

BB - Back to back Winners, you were on a roll until the bug got you.

I am sure Cousin Johnny would have loved for you to have your own burger, but I think this once he could eat only half, you may have to make it up to him in the future though
When we were younger Johnny and I were pretty even appetite-wise, but he is clearly the bigger eater now.  Still, there have been a couple of occasions in the last few years that even he has cried uncle.  Those times have always meant ChiTownDiner was nearby!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/26 10:08:44 (permalink)
Paul-
Love the story of losing your wristwatch in a tree while ballooning!

MayorAl-
Good call on the fried onions.  My ideal burger would have to include those, also.

CK-
We have been watching the fires around Yosemite with great interest.  Such a shame!  We feel fortunate we went when we did.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/28 10:57:01 (permalink)
Hi BB... random stop in to read this... but poor old RF forums have some serious issues and I can see full posts then repeats of the same with all the html in them... plus some posts seem to be missing because people quote you but I don't see the original... (not my browser, tried in a few). ANYHOO... funny that you were in all my old haunts and fwiw I have driven out through Manteca/Escalon/Oakdale (Hwy 120 heading to 108) hundreds of times, if not thousands. Lots of favorite stops too, though many are also long gone.

I never knew you'd been to Columbia! (And the City Hotel...) It used to be a great restaurant, and yes it was part of the training for the culinary & hospitality management programs at the local community college... long since closed/changed. (And the locals say not to bother with the current version.) FWIW I haven't missed my annual Columbia (Nelson's Candy Kitchen) pilgrimage in probably 30 years.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/08/28 14:46:37 (permalink)
Always a pleasure to hear from you cecif!  Some of the Berkeley suggestions I found in an old thread on here, where you made suggestions to some new posters.  Those newbies were Chris and Amy!  Thanks for the great ideas and I really enjoyed Top Dog.

I remember being surprised at how good the food was at City Hotel as this was not your typical hotel or tavern food.  First time I ever had a caeser salad made at the table.  Sorry to hear it isn't the same anymore.

Can you provide more details about Nelson's Candy Kitchen?
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/09/02 07:23:20 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Always a pleasure to hear from you cecif!  Some of the Berkeley suggestions I found in an old thread on here, where you made suggestions to some new posters.  Those newbies were Chris and Amy!  Thanks for the great ideas and I really enjoyed Top Dog.
Can you provide more details about Nelson's Candy Kitchen?

I don't see anything here about Top Dog, so unsure whether you didn't take pics or it's the forums playing up again... (they looked ok yesterday but wonky again today...).  I definitely remember posting for Chris & Amy, I wasn't new but had lurked so I guess technically I was a "newbie" too!

Nelson's Candy Kitchen, mmmmmm... as a kid they were at minimum an annual stop. Back then they made almost all their own candy and our favorites were "chews" (small pieces of taffy) especially the molasses and the peppermint. Sadly those are long gone and only some of the candy is still in-house, but this year there was a new stick taffy thing of molasses-peppermint combined. Happily they still make their own brittles (LOVE the peanut!). Overall though, my favorite as a grown-up are the "opera caramels": big bars of solidish chewy goodness, my choice always in chocolate. I think I bought $40 worth this year for myself and a friend/family. They have a website, and I have mail-ordered by phone fyi:
http://www.columbiacandykitchen.com/home.htm 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/10/07 18:32:27 (permalink)
cecif
I don't see anything here about Top Dog, so unsure whether you didn't take pics or it's the forums playing up again...

The section on Top Dog is about halfway down on page 4.  A great recommendation!  And I sure do wish we had made it to Nelson's Candy Kitchen. 
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:California, Here We Come! 2013/10/08 00:29:07 (permalink)

Great reports, BuffetBuster!  I don't how I missed this topic earlier.  I guess I don't check in on this site often enough.  These northern-central California RF reports are a great addition to your terrific southern CA reports!

Glenn

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1