Sandwich stand/cart in a college town? Wholesale food biz q's?

Junior Burger
2013/05/07 13:22:12
Dear all,
I am new to this forum, and I have a ton of questions. I am a single mother who works as a full-time restaurant manager. I am in a great need of a second income, so I started guessing about starting my own small food business. I can make extraordinary crepes. I am not sure how popular they would be, though so far I haven't met a person who didn't like them... I live in a small southern college town. The local regulations do not really favor food trucks, plus I do not have that extra money to afford a truck now. What I think about is making sandwiches (or hot dogs?) for students (we have a private college, a community college, a bunch of high schools, a couple of large colleges as well). I checked on some college websites, they seem to have their own food operations (cafes) so I am not sure I could approach those ones... My current employer is a restaurant chain that prohibits me as their salaried worker from working as their competitor. I am not sure how I could possible overcome that obstacle, but I do need that job along with my second potential income.
Another thing I can possibly think about is wholesale food business. The positives are 1. I could work overnight instead of day hours when time is divided between my primary job and kids; 2. I would not have to deal with multiple retail customers which could be pain in the butt... oh well... Has anyone done a wholesale business? If yes, where do I start?
So I guess right now I am in the "thinking it over" process. I am not sure where to start. I know I would need to figure the local regulations and talk to the Health Dept people. In perspective, I would like being self-employed, growing my food biz.
What minimum cash do I need to have to start a small (part-time) food operation? Could anyone share their memories from the first days of owning their own food biz? I need some advice and some confidence that it is worth it doing this kind of stuff... Any ideas are more than welcome. Thanks for reading my message!
post edited by foodie mama - 2013/05/07 13:26:57