America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints

Cheeseburger
2013/05/11 14:45:43
I must say that this list seems Chicago heavy, (as does the linked 35 Best in the article). Never have eaten dogs in Chicago, but I guess I'll have to remedy that next time I get up there. I was pleased with their #10 choice, tho. I have had the chili dog at the Dew Drop Inn in Mobile and it's a really good example of it's kind. They make a good cheeseburger, too.

http://shine.yahoo.com/sh...ot-dogs-161800364.html
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 00:40:22
For the most part, a terrible list. I can't imagine leaving off Nathan's in Coney Island and Grey's Papaya and Papaya King in Manhattan.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 09:44:47
This list is actually the first of any food where I've actually been to most of the places!  8 out of 10, what a score!  Twinwillow, check out the longer listing: Nathan's (#35) and Gray's Papaya (#28) are included on the Top 35 list; this is merely the Top 10 of the bigger 35 list.  There's a link to click after the first paragraph of the article...

BTW, Michael Stern gets the photo credit for Rawley's of Fairfield at #7.    Chris
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 10:15:39
ayersian BTW, Michael Stern gets the photo credit for Rawley's of Fairfield at #7.    Chris

Without his permission, no doubt.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 10:18:36
Don't know who made the selections, but it is GREAT to see local favorite Clare & Carl's get some long-overdue recognition.

I must say however that, no one who "voted" for the 22 places ranked higher than Clare's has ever eaten a Michigan hot dog. If someone has enjoyed one-or several-they would have rated Clare's # 1.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 10:40:47
ayersian

This list is actually the first of any food where I've actually been to most of the places!  8 out of 10, what a score!  Twinwillow, check out the longer listing: Nathan's (#35) and Gray's Papaya (#28) are included on the Top 35 list; this is merely the Top 10 of the bigger 35 list.  There's a link to click after the first paragraph of the article...

BTW, Michael Stern gets the photo credit for Rawley's of Fairfield at #7.    Chris

Thanks, Chris. I didn't see the "top 35" list link at the bottom. I'm sure all the dogs are good but as a NY raised guy, I don't care much for more than kraut and mustard on my dogs. Although, I always loved the dogs from the corner Sabrett carts in Manhattan that were smothered with their famous onion sauce.

I would however love to try a "half smoke" with chili at Bens Chili Bowl in DC.

We lived in Los Angeles during the mid sixties and visited Pink's fairly often but, the ex and I were never terribly impressed.

Again, I guess it always comes down to liking what you grew up eating.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2013/05/12 10:44:19
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/12 10:59:30
How the list was constructed is very suspect to me, as Gene & Judes at #18 is a joke...nothing more than a cult following vs quality dog and food.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:America's Top 10 Hot Dog Joints 2013/05/22 09:38:06
could be thew worst list ever!

boo to yahoo.