Square Register App Tax Rates

Junior Burger
2013/05/13 14:10:31
Hi, where I'm located there is a federal tax of 5% applied to all items, but the state tax is 8% applied to food items over 4$, Making it 13% total tax on items over $4. items under $4 are taxed at 5% federal tax only. BUT if items under 4$ are combined in the same sale, the items are now taxes at 13%.

Example: a small fry is 3.10 plus tax. This item is taxed at 5% federal tax. BUT if someone buys two small fries, they're now taxed at 13%. How do I get square register set up to accommodate this tax issue? The only solution I've seen so far is to have seperate buttons for each item. As in...have one button for a single fry only. And another button for a fry in conjunction with other items. This seems practical in theory, but in a busy food truck, I can't see the employees remembering to hit the appropriate button each time. Any other solutions? We are located in Ontario, canada.

Thanks guys!
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/13 18:34:55
contact square... ?  seems legit to me

daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/14 05:24:14
couldn't you just have a sides/fry button? Is it total is taxed higher or just if the item priced over 4.00?

KurtSara
Cheeseburger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/14 05:40:07
daddywoofdawg

couldn't you just have a sides/fry button? Is it total is taxed higher or just if the item priced over 4.00?

the total is taxed higher, he said one order of fries is $3.10 plus 5% tax two orders of fries is $6.20 plus 13% tax

BelCibo
Cheeseburger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/14 07:49:54
Fries with a meal, 3 bucks.  Fries by themselves $4.  Make the stand alone fries larger or with a little someone else added.
jeffwllms
Junior Burger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/15 09:12:18
That is a mess.  I don't think that having two differently priced fries solves the problem as others have suggested here, since the tax rate applies to the total sale, if total receipt is less than $4 than than 5% tax, above $4 13% tax.  I would think that the square register app could handle this.  Multiple Tax rates depending on the total.  If not I say it is much simpler to just figure out tax later.  You have your receipts, just price your items on the menu inclusive of tax.  Figure a 13% rate (95+%) will probably be that anyhow.  If someone only order fries pay just the 5% sales tax and consider the rest the fee for al a cart.

It is like having the two entries for each item in square register except you don't have to complicate your point-of-sale with it.  I have yet to go to a food truck were the price on the menu wasn't inclusive of tax. 

Anyway, it is a mess.
jeffwllms
Junior Burger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2013/05/15 09:22:57
I also just went trough the manual on the square app.  You can have two tax rates, and taxes can be edit per transaction.  Have your %5 federal, and your 8% local.  Apply them both to everything by default.  When you ring someone up under $4 just click on sales tax in the right hand total and click the red minus to remove the local tax.  It is most likely going to be rare the total is less than $4 so it shouldn't be to problematic to do this when and if it is.

LingMcintire
Junior Burger
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2014/03/26 01:28:59
Decreasing top tax rates and capital gains taxes do not acquire more economic development as much as income inequality. This is one major reason why some republican law makers ordered to delete the report that the CRS released. According to them it does not meet their views and opinions with regards to tax imposition. Get a to pay for things while you are waiting for a pay increase.
Midnights
Cheeseburger
Re:Square Register App Tax Rates 2014/03/26 02:43:41
That may or may not be true, Ling, but it doesn't really address the practical matter at hand at all.