The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

NY Times article on Katz's Deli

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
NY Times article on Katz's Deli Wed, 05/15/13 9:01 AM (permalink)
Interesting article in today's NY Times about Katz's Deli, one of my favorite "Real NY City: locations.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/in-125-years-much-has-changed-but-the-pastrami-is-the-same/?ref=todayspaper

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
    Re:NY Times article on Katz's Deli Wed, 05/15/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
    One of my favorites. Another interesting article and video of the 'last Jewish waiter at Katz's'.

http://newyork.grubstreet...wish-waiter-katzs.html

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
      Re:NY Times article on Katz's Deli Wed, 05/15/13 10:33 AM (permalink)
      kozel

One of my favorites. Another interesting article and video of the 'last Jewish waiter at Katz's'.

http://newyork.grubstreet...wish-waiter-katzs.html

I like that waiter, that's how a jewish Deli use to be back when...........Get the pastrami, shut-up and eat, next..............How is the Knish ???. the Knish is good if it wasn't good it wouldn't be here, shut-up and eat, next...........I'll have a pound of Cole Slaw, don't put any juice in the container, now weigh it, ok now put in the juice, I'm not paying $2 a pound for juice.......I bought a Knish off a street vendor in NYC last year, he said you want mustard and salt and pepper, I said of course. Nothing like walking around NYC eating a Knish, bring back memories..............pnwc

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
        Re:NY Times article on Katz's Deli Wed, 05/15/13 10:46 AM (permalink)
        ken8038

Interesting article in today's NY Times about Katz's Deli, one of my favorite "Real NY City: locations.
        http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/in-125-years-much-has-changed-but-the-pastrami-is-the-same/?ref=todayspaper

Good Article, nice to know I could take my family there without having to call BillyBoy for back-up protection. they said they are selling more Reubens now, well that's not a surprise. Most of the places offering pastrami in the rest of the 49 states, offer it as a Reuben. I would bet most people never had a Pastrami on Jewish rye, thats the New York way of eating it.........

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:NY Times article on Katz's Deli Wed, 05/15/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
          It's just not like that anymore in NYC
          Time marches on.........There are probably thousands of more Asian, Carribean, Latin American and West African restaurants in NYC that is now "The real NYC"
          As a middle age guy (yes 48 is very much middle age) I remember as a little boy when the the Jewish Deli's still reigned supreme, however today, most New Yorkers and yes that includes Jewish New Yorkers) under 30 have never even been to a Jewish Deli or know what one is....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com