Ice Cream Trike

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
  • Reward points : 0
Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 12:23 AM
SCROLL DOWN TO THE JUNE 2ND ENTRY TO SEE THE RESULTS OF MY FIRST DAY!

I hope the mods are ok with this thread and that it's in the hot dog forum.

I started something similar about a piece of hardware that I was having difficulty finding that I needed for the trike and it looks like there might be some interest with fellow hot doggers....so that's why I started a thread.

This is something that I think a lot of hot dog people could do if they are finding they need an extra bump in income over the summer.  It's pretty cheap to put together and other than dry ice and your ice cream there really isn't any other costs...probably a good idea to have some insurance too but that should be super cheap.

At any rate, here's my latest pics....it's pretty much ready to go other then the ice cream bells which should arrive next week.  I actually threw in some dry ice tonight and a few different novelties and am leaving it overnight to see how it does.  I realize this is not a real world test by any means but I'm interested to see if things are still cold in the morning. 

Hoping to get out this coming Memorial Day weekend....there is a beach destination not far from here and the main drag is flat and runs right along the water so it might be a good spot...depending on the weather. 

<message edited by djdawg on Sun, 06/2/13 10:24 PM>

BobbyVang
  • Total Posts : 62
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 5:53 AM
When I saw your ice cream trike post, I was very intrigued. How would one order from a cart that has no menu? I am picking up a very nice ice cream cart for 225$ on Tuesday and would like to know this. Also if anyone knows where to find decals of ice cream, such as the ones on ice cream trucks/vans. I would appreciate. 
<message edited by BobbyVang on Mon, 05/20/13 6:11 AM>

C2CD
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 9:50 AM
You can find decals on Ebay!
@djdawg, Pedal pops lol love the name, very original 

brickboo
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 10:01 AM
Google for ice cream decals etc Probably dozens of them under images.
I just get ready made yard signs from "esigns" and velcro them on my cart. They're made of waterproof corrugated vinyl . I've had a couple for a while. The site allows you to reword and move things around change colors etc on their neat ready made signs and they are reasonably priced. Here's a picture just copy and paste in your browser's address box:
 https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a...41261_1958514488_n.jpg

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 12:02 PM
Thanks guys...Bobby Vang,  I'll be putting the "menu" on the back of the trike.  That's why I got a much smaller Pedal Pops sign.  My plan is to take my ice cream decals, have them laminated then put velcro on them.  That way I can velcro them to the back of the trike and rotate them out depending on what I want to carry. 

As far as getting decals...yeah you can get them off ebay I guess but you can also get them free from your distributor!  The guy I'm buying ice cream from has nearly every decal that is made and they are free!  I did have to search a bit to find the right distributor but finally did.

BTW Bobby....a cart for $225?!  Great find!  You should post pics of it here! 

sillydogz
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 6:33 PM
looks amazing! keep us posted on how it does.

last summer we had a college kid who was summering on a lake convert a pontoon boat into an ice cream boat. he spent the summer cruising the shore line selling ice cream and made a KILLING.

BpCBlake
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 05/20/13 6:46 PM
sounds like a hot dog boat would do great. putt from boat to boat selling dogs chips and soda.

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Tue, 05/21/13 5:03 AM
Here's the cart if you're wondering for 225$. Picking it up today.
images.craigslist. (space) org/3K83F13I95I25K95H8d5g9c95fae0d2a41a09.jpg 

Is it possible to use Velcro patches onto stainless steel and have it stick well? 
<message edited by BobbyVang on Tue, 05/21/13 5:56 AM>

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Tue, 05/21/13 7:32 AM
Sure the Velcro backing will stick well on stainless steel. I usually get the heavy duty Velcro that comes in a box... It's as little more $ but worth it.

Bobby...I couldn't get your link to work...Even after cleaning it up.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Tue, 05/21/13 7:40 AM
Bobby, I might have found it. Is it a Mr. Ice Cream Man blue and yellow push cart? Red handle? If so, nice! I did a craigslist search for Fresno so maybe that's it...

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 12:37 AM
I got the link to work....Haagen Daz!  So, are you selling HD or other things?  Looks nice....

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 10:23 AM
Here is a neat side note.
Do you know, all types of ice cream and ices are held at different tempertures? i.e. you cant hold dipping ice cream in a novelty freezer? or italian ices? you should check this out with the pros. when you go to a manufactor, they usally ask you what type of cold things you want to sell. even some noveltys hold at different temps. I even tested this. my church rented a cart for a while, something melted faster then others.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 11:27 AM
Very true Blake...one trick I learned from my ice cream mentor is to keep the ice cream bars in the middle of your load...surrounded by more ice type treats like popsicle's, etc... Of course I have yet to try it but hopefully this weekend!

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 11:34 AM
It's tricky. like italian ices have to be kept at 0
but have to be served at 18

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 2:55 PM
Failed trip to LA because the cart was all banged, and he covered the dents with velcro and another sign placed on top. Flat tires, inside was moldy/rusty. I just didn't feel like buying the cart from the guy anymore. Also, I didn't expect the cart to be so huge, it was actually about 450'ish LBs. Even thought it has wheels it wasn't easy to push and wasn't a very pretty cart. ;/

Although had a lot of Korean BBQ there in LA. ;) 

I don't know if I'm going to be an ice cream man anymore... It being seasonal kind of sets me off so probably getting off the ice cream wagon now. 
<message edited by BobbyVang on Wed, 05/22/13 2:59 PM>

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 3:50 PM
big and bulky like a catering cart? wonder what vermin are hiding in it's guts. I knew a guy that bought a cart that was infested with spiders. I told him, set some rats lose in there, they love spiders. but then he would have to start feeding the rats when all the spiders were gone.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 10:54 PM
Sorry your trip was a bust Bobby....don't give up yet!  I did see some other ice cream push carts in your area that were a little more....I guess it's hard to tell from a pic but they look in decent to good condition. 

Are you handy at all?  Depending on how much $ you have you could build an ice cream trike like I did.  I probably have less then $300 into it including the price of a brand new bike.  And even though it's seasonal you can make a buttload of money.  In my area I have 3-4 months of selling tops but it could...no...will....mean hundreds of extra dollars which I really need. 

Don't give up!

mikejames533
  • Total Posts : 99
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 05/22/13 11:41 PM
Nice looking setup djdawg. Who are you going with for a distributor? Would you share a pic of the inside of the box? Also the details of your build.

Thanks Mike

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 05/23/13 2:08 AM
Yeah I can get some pics up...I'll try and do it this weekend.  I'm gearing up for a big Saturday selling dogs cuz we have the annual parade....hopefully the weather will cooperate.

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 05/23/13 8:20 AM
Yeah post some tips on how you hooked everything up. Also link to the Fridge you bought if possible. ;)

mikejames533
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 05/23/13 1:35 PM
Thanks djdawg. Good luck on your Saturday gig, hope you sell em all!

AstroDog
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Tue, 05/28/13 9:54 AM
Dj! The trike looks killlller! Now I'm totally influenced to finish mine!
What'd you end up using for the box?

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 05/30/13 11:23 PM
Ok....finally got some pics together of inside and out of the trike.  If you have any questions, let me know.  The pink stuff inside is pink foam board from Home Depot, etc.  The funky 1"x4" board that flops down is my kickstand that I can pull down (hence the reason for the door stop thingy screwed into it, ha ha) when I'm getting off the bike because once there is a load in the back, I'm sure the trike will have a tendency to tip backwards.  Also, it's held up by velcro when it's not down. 

I just got the old fashioned REAL ice cream bells yesterday from a company called Bevin Bells....google them.  About $60.  Pricey maybe but they are real, brass, beautiful ice cream bells and they complete the look I'm looking for.  It's hard to tell in the pics but they swing back and forth and ring up a storm!  I may end up attaching a nylon line so I can yank on it while I'm riding to get them going even more.

I need to do some touch up paint on the top and you might even see some small black paint specks...oops!   

The cubby hole up front is so I can slide a clipboard in for notes while running the route, etc.  The weather is supposed to get better this weekend and I'm picking up my first load of ice cream tomorrow so I'm hoping to get out over the weekend...I'll let you know how it goes!

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 12:10 AM
looks nice.
and soon you will see if it's insulated correctly. noveltys hold at around 18 degrees.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 7:08 AM
That's my biggest fear Blake...preliminary tests have been good but hardly real world...keeping my fingers crossed!

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 10:58 AM
cold is wierd, I think it travels up. so the cold box has to be basicly air tight. worse comes to worse you have to start over with cold plates. but also, if you get your box sealed tight you can use dry ice. this is what they did in the old days. also, line your box inside, you havnt lived until you have to clean up melted spoiled product.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 11:25 AM
Actually cold air drops... Hot air rises. I built the box almost exactly like they do the expensive trikes so I'm hoping with dry ice it will work out okay. We will see haha

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 12:32 PM
I was close. I knw one went up and one dropped. heck I had a 50/50 chance. I think on one of the cart web sites they have a ice cream box to put on your cart and I think the had a picture on the inside. well have fun. I wish I had a ice cream scooter. everyone does bikes but I cant find a scooter rig. workman said they can build me one, but I cant afford 8 grand for one. capt. ice cream has custom mopeds, but I dont want a franchise.

brickboo
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 2:00 PM
Kevin, How's about sitting a large plastic bag, maybe a garbage bag in case of a meltdown accident of some sort like Blake mentions cleaning up?

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 6:11 PM
The two carts I did check out had a dry ice stand. Both the owners said the block will keep your dry ice away from the ice cream and actually make it colder on the ice cream. Not 100% sure about the make it colder, since the cold air is still at the bottom. Like this.

www.ruf-inc (dot) com/interior_freezer.jpg
<message edited by BobbyVang on Fri, 05/31/13 6:18 PM>

mikejames533
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 05/31/13 6:20 PM
Nice job djdawg. Thank you for posting the pics. Good luck with the ice cream biz...

daddywoofdawg
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sat, 06/1/13 2:41 AM
In the olden days the 60's the good humor trikes had the bells on the handle bars and as you rode your thumb would rock the bells back and forth.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sat, 06/1/13 11:49 AM
That's pretty cool Bobby... Heck I might even be able to rig something up like that today before I go out... If I do. Definitely tomorrow but possibly today too. I'm going to be carrying some of the La Michoacana brand and boy are they yummy! One thing I think I have going for me is I'm not really carrying a pure ice cream bar like ice cream sandwich, etc. I think it's easier to keep the ice products (popcicles, etc) colder... We'll see!

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sat, 06/1/13 11:53 AM
Thanks mikejames! The season will be short here in the great NW but maybe I can make a few extra dollars.

Daddywoof! That's a great idea!

I thought about doing that but it seemed like to make it secure it would have required rivets and such...way past my expertise.

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sat, 06/1/13 3:02 PM
Ice products and cream products hold at different temps. put the ice based stuff around the cream based stuff ti keep it colder.

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/2/13 8:48 AM
Damn, those Mexican ice cream. I could eat 5 of them in a hour lol. Btw, any tips on how you built your ice chest and how you hooked it up to a trike?

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/2/13 1:04 PM
I hear ya Bobby...they are freaking awesome! I had...um...a few last night. I gotta get out and sell this stuff before I eat them all! Ha ha

I do have some other pictures of the build in it's earlier stages that I forgot to post. I will try and do that before the weekend is over. I basically framed the box out with 2 x 2's and then skinned it with luan plywood. The area where it sits a basket normally goes there so there were already holes in the frame to attach it with bolts, nuts and washers. I did add some reinforcing 2 x 2's to the floor where it bolts to the bike as I'm guessing the bolts would've ripped through the floor if I bolted it through just the luan plywood itself.

I didn't go out yesterday but today for sure! Keeping my fingers crossed...

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/2/13 10:53 PM
FIRST DAY RESULTS!!!

I am SO happy!  Mostly because my stuff stayed cold!  Like ROCK hard cold!  Here's what happened...

Here in the NW when the temp gets mid 60's or above (as it was today...not sure if it hit 70) people are out.  They are bbq'ing, boating, playing in the yard, etc.  NO ONE (well, very few) has AC in their house around here so if they are not outside their windows and doors are wide open.  Here's how the day started...

Late aftn I met up with my friend who has a nice camera and is a avid photographer and agreed to take some nice pics of me and the trike for my website, promotional crap, etc.  We met by a grade school nearby which also had a park behind it.  As we were just about to take some pics a guy came up (father...saw him earlier with his kids) and asked if I was open for business yet.  Ha ha...I told him that I hadn't loaded up the trike yet as stuff was still on ice in the van and that I had to get the pics taken but soon.  We took a bunch of pics and he and his family and wife and other relatives were my first customers....got some great pics of that.  I sold like 5-6 there before even leaving the park/school area.

I carried 5 different items, none being a true chocolate ice cream bar as I really wasn't sure how things would go with the icebox and the dry ice and I knew that that sort of treat would melt quicker.  I loaded up the box with 24 of each item, placed two different things of dry ice on top of them (around here they come in sealed plastic bags...I had about 8 lbs total between the two bags) and then threw this thermal blanket thing over the top.  It's a fairly large sheet that has like small bubble wrap on one side and metallic foil like on the other side.  It's actually from the company that I get my dogs from.  I have them shipped from Seattle and they come with this stuff wrapped around it and I thought if it's good for keeping dogs cold maybe it would be good to keep the cold air at the bottom.

Damned if it didn't work like a charm.  Now granted I was only out about 2 1/2 hours but everything stayed ROCK SOLID!!  I mean it!  It was freaking cold!  I was shocked!  I have a thermometer in the box and every time I checked it read around 10 degrees.  So that made me feel much better and I stopped worrying.  Keep in mind it was fairly mild at just under 70 degrees today so it will be a different story when it's in the 80's but still....it was a good test.

The trike itself worked great.  My little kickstand that I pull down when I get off the trike to keep it from tipping worked better then expected. 

So here's the numbers for whoever is interested...for 2 1/2 hours I sold 53 treats.  $111 gross.  After subtracting the cost of the product ($26.81) and the cost of dry ice ($8.00) it's a total of $34.81....do some math and I end up with $76 of profit for 2 1/2 hours....not bad I don't think!

The best thing was the response I got...I don't think I would've done nearly as well if I hadn't gone all old school on the trike, wore the black bow tie with white shirt, had the old fashioned ice cream bells, etc...people LOVED the whole look.  I'm looking forward to hitting the beach resort in our area sometime soon.  Long flat road that runs right a long the water...I can go back and forth on that thing all day. 

Here's to ice cream!

My first customer...this is the guy that wanted ice cream before I was even set up....he was awesome!

<message edited by djdawg on Sun, 06/2/13 11:28 PM>

brickboo
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/2/13 11:30 PM
Kevin,
Did you go through the HD? Were there any problems, or did you decide to beg forgiveness than to ask permission? 
Sorry if I missed this part on the topic here.
Thanks

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/2/13 11:39 PM
No prob Brick...they were the first I contacted.  In our county since I was doing novelties I was totally exempt from anything with the HD.  I asked them "don't you want to inspect the box?"...."um.....no, but good luck!"  Ha ha....

If I was scooping, different deal alltogether....

daddywoofdawg
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 06/3/13 12:59 AM
Hit gasworks park on the weekends and the hydro races in August over on lake Washington.

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 06/3/13 1:18 AM
Those would be great places daddy but I'm not in Seattle anymore....but thanks!

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 06/3/13 10:02 AM
Sounds really good, now can I ask one more question. What styrofoam did you use?

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Mon, 06/3/13 11:50 AM
Bobby... If you're talking about what I insulated the inside with I used 1 1/2" pink foam core from big box hardware store. That's the rigid stuff that's easy to cut... It comes in like 8' sheets. I used spray adhesive to glue it in the box.

Ask as many questions as you want...no problem!

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 06/5/13 1:25 PM
My youtube video  : )   

http://youtu.be/CtWdeR4tpu4

I couldn't get the youtube insert button to work...mods? 
<message edited by djdawg on Wed, 06/5/13 1:31 PM>

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Wed, 06/5/13 5:49 PM
What did I just watch... Haha. Bells jingling for 23 seconds.
<message edited by BobbyVang on Thu, 06/6/13 5:51 PM>

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 06/6/13 9:30 PM
You watched awesomeness :-)

Tex-Max
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 06/6/13 9:42 PM
Love the Bells ! Your trike is great too!

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7743
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 06/6/13 9:50 PM
Word!

Beautiful job DJ! Best wishes for the season!

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Thu, 06/6/13 11:59 PM
Thanks guys!  I did a few more things to the trike today...not to mention fixing my ramp that I made to get the damn thing in my van....lol.

I added this metal strap to help secure the box to the bike frame...the hole was already in the frame so why not.  It didn't really need it but all the same it made me feel better.

Also made a quick dry ice shelf inside using extra wire shelving stuff I had.  Not sure if it will work but I'll try it out tomorrow.  Before I was just plunking the dry ice down on top of the boxes in the plastic bag it came in...I'll keep it in the bag but if it still keeps stuff cold sitting on the shelf it will be more out of the way and easier to work my load.

BobbyVang
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Fri, 06/7/13 12:02 AM
Nice, looking epic. 

djdawg
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/9/13 1:52 PM
After riding through a neighborhood last week one of the neighbors informed me that they were having a block party (yesterday) and that I was invited.  Pretty fun affair....taco truck was there and when I rolled around the corner ringing my bells people started applauding and cheering....it was awesome!  I was there for about 90mins and sold over 70 treats....that was sweet!  (no pun intended)

On another note, the dry ice shelf didn't seem to work that great....about halfway through the event I pulled it and just placed the ice in it's bag directly on top of the boxes....really seems to work so much better. 

BpCBlake
Re:Ice Cream Trike - Sun, 06/9/13 3:12 PM
ah, so you taught a food truck they should carry ice cream now.