Copper River Salmon is here!

Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6648
2013/05/21 17:03:46 (permalink)

Copper River Salmon is here!

Copper River salmon will be available here at our local Giant Eagle on Thursday!!  The Copper River is a mile wide and is the 10th largest river in the US.  It runs through Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve which is America's largest national park.  The salmon must go 300 miles to reach their spawning grounds which requires extra stores of omega-3 fatty acids.  Thus making it some of the best salmon on the planet.  (I once had Yukon River king salmon which knocked all salmon out of the ball park.)
I expect it to be expensive, probably around $23.00/lb. but it's worth it.  I already know "what's for dinner" this Thursday! 

9 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/21 17:43:50 (permalink)
    lleechef

Copper River salmon will be available here at our local Giant Eagle on Thursday!!  The Copper River is a mile wide and is the 10th largest river in the US.  It runs through Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve which is America's largest national park.  The salmon must go 300 miles to reach their spawning grounds which requires extra stores of omega-3 fatty acids.  Thus making it some of the best salmon on the planet.  (I once had Yukon River king salmon which knocked all salmon out of the ball park.)
    I expect it to be expensive, probably around $23.00/lb. but it's worth it.  I already know "what's for dinner" this Thursday! 
    Sounds great! Isn't King the same as Chinook and Red the same as Sockeye? I think the seasons are similar with Sockeye running a bit longer. I order a lot of salmon and other seafood products from this place. Not cheap, but fantastic quality and fast shipping.
    http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/home.asp
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/21 20:08:44 (permalink)
    pancho,
    yes, king is Chinook and red is Sockeye.  I never caught a King in Prince William Sound but did catch a lot of reds. 
    Warning: Anybody fishing for salmon on the Kenai should watch out for bears.  They are awake and hungry and will attack.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/22 11:05:41 (permalink)
    MH asked me this morning, "How are you going to cook that salmon?"  I am going to grill it and top it with a tomato/basil beurre blanc.  Yum!  I can't wait for tomorrow!
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1983
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/23 02:01:48 (permalink)
    Mmmmm.....
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/23 05:18:39 (permalink)
    It's been in various stores and restaurants in the Chicago area for the past week or so...best fish of the season.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6355
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/23 15:57:38 (permalink)
    Lisa - It is in Kroger's here, I went coupon hunting last night and all 3 Kroger's had a HUGE SIGN about the Copper River Salmon.

Sounds Deelishus!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/24 17:00:53 (permalink)
    Well, I am very disappointed.  The Copper River salmon was sockeye, it was $21.00/lb and it didn't look very good.  So I didn't buy any.  Dang!  I was looking forward to having salmon tonight.  MH just told me that Weiland's in Columbus has king salmon for $32.99/lb.  I really don't care about the price.......I just want some Alaskan salmon!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/24 21:40:22 (permalink)
    Hey Lisa, Was the salmon, there in Ohio at least frozen? I know that I never buy fish or shrimp "unfrozen" here unless I can be sure it is available to me as truly fresh and never been frozen. Where I live, many seafood items are much better purchased frozen.
    We, as a rule, don't get fresh shrimp here, only defrosted, so I would only buy frozen. That goes the same for scallops and King Crab Legs.
    There are many kinds of fish I can get, depending on the time of year, very fresh such as Cod, Blue Fish and Flounder but I am very picky if I am paying a premium price! 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Copper River Salmon is here! 2013/05/25 11:45:32 (permalink)
    agnesrob

Hey Lisa, Was the salmon, there in Ohio at least frozen? I know that I never buy fish or shrimp "unfrozen" here unless I can be sure it is available to me as truly fresh and never been frozen. Where I live, many seafood items are much better purchased frozen.
    We, as a rule, don't get fresh shrimp here, only defrosted, so I would only buy frozen. That goes the same for scallops and King Crab Legs.
    There are many kinds of fish I can get, depending on the time of year, very fresh such as Cod, Blue Fish and Flounder but I am very picky if I am paying a premium price! 

No, it wasn't frozen.  But it looked what I call "tired"......in other words, "old and dried out". 
    Shrimp are frozen on the boat and I buy them frozen also, same with King Crab Legs.  Scallops, on the other hand, I buy fresh (at Wholey's in Pittsburgh) and they are delicious.
    Our Giant Eagle here in Gahanna does not have the best seafood department.  But the same store in Rochester, PA (population 1/3 of Gahanna) has a spectacular seafood section.  Go figure. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1