Best place to sell a cart?

Midnite
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
Best place to sell a cart? - Sun, 05/26/13 3:17 PM
This forum has been a wonderful, informative experience, but I'm hanging up my apron. I'm not sure what's allowed here, but does anyone have any advice on the best route to sell a cart?

Thanks

Midnite

brickboo
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Sun, 05/26/13 7:13 PM
I bought my cart off of Craigslist Denver.
Go to this page and ask Ben how to place your cart for sale on his site.  I'm sure it's free: http://learnhotdogs.com/ask-ben

Then theres Steve's site that will list it also:http://hotdogprofits.com/contact.html
Why not mention a price, the brand and model name, and how old the cart is right here. There was a vendor on this site wanting to purchase another cart a few weeks back to add to his fleet.
<message edited by brickboo on Sun, 05/26/13 7:20 PM>

C2CD
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Sun, 05/26/13 7:14 PM
Where in NC are you and what kind of cart is it and how much do you want.

Midnite
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 8:22 AM
Heya Boo,

I got your PM, so i figure I may as well answer here. For Mafia's question, the answer would be Raleigh, about 226 miles from the lovely Beech Mountain area.

I took out ads this morning in the 3 exact spots you suggested, so I guess I'm on the right path. I just didn't know if it we were allowed to advertise like that here, but since Mafia asked, the answer is that it's a 2011 Dreammakers Ventura, with a splash-guard(required around here) and an NSA griddle attached on the side. I also added a shelf above the pans to help warm buns and am tossing in a 10X10 EZ-Up canopy---Really good for shade but not much help when it's windy. I'm asking $3,500 and am feeling pretty firm about that now because it's not an emergency, but ask me again in a month:-)

In regards to your PM, I bought the cart a little over a year ago because I knew that my day-job was going to end before the end of the year. I've worked mostly nights on a permitted sidewalk downtown across from a popular bar that's open from Wednesday - Saturday. The money is ok, but not enough to live on once you toss in commissary & insurance costs. The day-job ended in November, so I looked steadily for a regular day spot/route.

The daytime sidewalk locations in Raleigh are pretty much taken up, so I focused on Office complexes, and that's where the discouragement comes in. I have contacted every, and I mean EVERY property management company in the Triangle area, and have hit a dead-end on each one. Either the property Managers didn't want to take the time, or else they were fairly enthusiastic, but the owners wouldn't go for it. It's disheartening to spend 2-3 weeks working up the detailed proposal  for a site only to get it shot down for no apparent reason....It's funny, in its own way, that the main reason I bought the cart was so that I wouldn't be dependent, job-wise, on Corporate America and yet there I was, standing outside the door like a beggar. There was one spot where I even offered to rent a space in thier plaza, but no go.

I managed to get a 1 time "let's see how it goes lunch" gig at one office building and sold $250 between 11:30 and 1:30. But that's all they ended up wanting, just 1 time, so I ended up losing money because it cost extra to get "contractor" insurance. 

There comes a point when one just has to admit it just ain't working. Trust me when I say I've read every post in this forum, made every move possible, learned the county GIS system to track down every piece of property, and maintained a positive attitude while riding a roller coaster of emotions.

Landed a new day-job a few weeks ago that shows great potential, time will tell. For now, I just have to wish everyone here the very best!!!! And move on.

Will be happy to answer any questions about the cart via e-mail or PM's.

Bob
<message edited by Midnite on Mon, 05/27/13 8:25 AM>

brickboo
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 10:06 AM
Bob,
 I could have written that almost word for word. It is depressing because you do read some stories about people getting a cart and make more than they did on the job they just lost. They can't understand why others aren't making any money. They think something is wrong with us.

I'm convinced that different parts of the country won't buy a hot dog unless they are 3 for a dollar. Some who buy from me are counting out nickles and pennies to pay me. They may be near homelessness maybe! It makes me wonder.

In this area I'm convinced they don't care for dogs the way they do in other areas. I do OK at special events where I'm the only game in town. I need to hustle more of those locations.

Hearing your experience sure doesn't encourage me, but I hope the best for you and your family Bob. 

Midnite
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 10:26 AM
Yeah, I have to admit my post is not very encouraging Boo. If you get a good location then you're golden. Like I mentioned, I sold $250 worth in 2 hours at the office complex, but the property manager/owners just weren't interested in making it steady....Go figure.

My first night downtown, I sold over $200, but it was a special event night, and on a regular night it's around $80....Just not enough to live on.

Thanks for the well wishes. Best back at'cha!!!

Bob

BpCBlake
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 11:20 AM
It's just all location. we just dont hear much about people not doing well, just when they do good. it's about getting the good location. and some also do catering and fairs and other events. but if you are on a small budget, it can be very rough. expesially for what a good cart can cost.

brickboo
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 12:01 PM
Bob,
If I could do $80, I'd consider that pretty good. But like I said it would supplement my SS. I sat at a place which was one of my first locations where 32,000 cars passed in the four hour, four days I spent there, and I swear, not one car stopped out of curiosity let alone buy a hot dog. I was like stunned for a month after that experience. Can you imagine?

C2CD
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 1:46 PM
@Midnite yeah raleigh is like the mobile food Nazi capital in NC. I looked into their regs and had to walk away just because they were insane, There is no way you could make money there. Have you considered venturing out of Raleigh? Like Tanger Outlets in Mebane 45 mins away or Outlets in Burlington? I know the students are gone now but had you considered all those college campuses down there, kids love hot dogs especially after there leaving the bars. If I can ask, what style hot dogs were you selling and at what price? besides location that can also make or break you. 

Midnite
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 3:00 PM
Aw, I didn't mind the regulations and all. But like I said, the downtown locations are all taken, and the bar is ok if it's supplementing a day-time doggin' gig because there's a rhythm to it. But it's too much of a shift to go from  a construction-type day job to a late night doggin'.

But since you asked, I sold Nathan's and Brightleaf for the locals. Outside the bar it was simply $3 per dog, 2 for $5. No one had any interest in chips and sodas. But it ws just 1 bar, with 1 rush at closing, and nothing until then. At the office complex it was a bigger menu, and everything sold fine...But 26 property managers, handling 338(yes, I kept track) buildings, and not one willing to give it a try full-time.

Even tried a spot across the street from a high school....Sold a lot of Mountain Dew:-)

So, enough....Blake's right...It comes down to location. Ya got a good one, go for it! 

Best

Midnite

djdawg
  • Total Posts : 439
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Mon, 05/27/13 5:24 PM
Midnight...have you checked out more blue collar locations?  Factories?  Plants?  Not sure if there are any around there....that's how I got plugged in.  There is an oil refinery and an aluminum plant both have around 300 people that I got hooked up in.  They are doing "ok" but I'm trying to get inside the gate which will be alot better.

I know you've made your decision probably but don't get discouraged...someone else said it's all about location which is so true.  I started out at a daily location M-F...then when the weather turned I started doing late night/bar time on the weekends...now I have the corporate stuff and 3 months from now it might be something totally different.  I think it just takes longer to find your spot(s) then successful doggers let on....it's a process.  I'm not getting rich by any means and it's just me as I'm not married and my kids are older so I can afford to eat and scrimp by while my business is growing but you may not have that luxury....
Side note...Midnight...if you'd be up for it and open to suggestions....post some pics of your cart and your actual set up..... 
At any rate - good luck!
<message edited by djdawg on Mon, 05/27/13 5:26 PM>

Midnite
Re:Best place to sell a cart? - Tue, 05/28/13 6:09 AM
Hey DJ,

Found a thread on how to post a photo, but it's gonna be while before I can figure it out.

Thanks for the encouragement. One of the reasons(at this time) that I can afford to be firm on the price is that the new day job has allowed me the luxury of not needing the money desperately yet, and dang, it's hard to let go of a dream, ya know:-)

But yeah, factories were first, followed by hospitals and all the other suggestions you find on doggin' sites. I was fortunate when the last day-job crapped out to have about 6 months to find a location, but that ended a month ago so I had to land a new job, and it's working out really well at the moment(but the real test comes in September---long story).

But at some point, we all have to figure out whether it's worth it or not, and with a mortgage, a car payment and 250 pounds of real dogs to feed, I'm afraid I don't have much luxury time.

I don't want this to turn into a "poor me" thread. Thing are going really well right now, and I'm glad I can say that at least I tried....Been toying with the idea of just setting up in my front yard for Saturday lunches, like a lemonade stand(as near as I can tell, it's legal in my unincorporated section of the county), and it might be fun, but is definitely not enough to pay the bills.

But for now, I gotta gear up to go work for The Man....And get back to that photo posting thing later on.

Thanks again, DJ, you're one of the good ones!, but then again, most of the folks here are:-)

Best

Midnite