The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

chicken pot pie recipes

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
chicken pot pie recipes Wed, 05/29/13 2:22 AM (permalink)
whats your favorite?

sandrew834

• Total Posts: 53
    Re:chicken pot pie recipes Thu, 08/29/13 5:25 AM (permalink)
    First time i made this. The first being I added more seasoning (garlic pepper, garlic powder and poultry) to the sauce and to the chicken mixture before cooking. Also, I cooked the chicken and veggies in chicken stock instead of water. I used Pillsbury ready made pie crusts and after brushing with egg white baked the bottom crust for 5 minutes. I doubled the sauce and added most to the chicken mixture before putting it into the pan. I baked on 375 for 40 minutes. It looked and tasted delicious!!

jericjames10

• Total Posts: 9
      Re:chicken pot pie recipes Fri, 08/30/13 5:16 AM (permalink)
      my favorite recipe is:

Crust:
      6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
      5 tablespoons ice water

Filling:
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter
      1 cup chopped carrot $
      1/2 cup chopped onion $
      1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
      3 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
      2 1/3 cups cubed red potato (about
      1.5 ounces (about 1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
      1/3 cup water
      2 cups diced cooked rotisserie chicken $
      1 cup frozen petite peas
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      Cooking spray $
      2 teaspoons 1% low-fat milk $

Preparation
      1. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon 6.75 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 6.75 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; cut in 7 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 5 tablespoons ice water; stir just until moist. Press mixture gently into a 5-inch circle; cover with plastic wrap. Chill 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Chill dough until ready to use.
      2. Preheat oven to 400°.
      3. To prepare filling, melt 2 teaspoons butter in a Dutch oven over meduim-high heat. Add carrot, onion, and thyme; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Combine flour and 1/3 cup water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Return potato mixture to a boil. Slowly drizzle flour mixture into potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Stir in chicken, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Spoon chicken mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place dough on top of chicken mixture, pressing to edge of dish. Cut 4 slits in top of crust to allow steam to escape. Gently brush crust with milk. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
        Re:chicken pot pie recipes Fri, 08/30/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
        I keep end bits and "almost bad" veggies in a bag in the freezer.  When it starts to fill, I oven roast them all at 450 with a little live oil for about a half hour, then mix with about 5 quarts of water and a bit of thyme ( and maybe some garlic).  simmer it for a cple of hours until reduced by at least 1/3 or even better, 1/2.  These(strained and STRAINED!) go into 1 cup containers and also get frozen  Not always, but often, I use a single cup of this mixed with 2TBS flour and 2TBS butter that have been cooked a while to make the broth for my chicken pot pie.almost no other seasoning is needed My chicken is usually bits from a roaster or breasts with ribs that have been previously cooked..the leftover "bits".  Re-simmered for 20-30 mins 45 mins if frozen) and then picked clean. Additional veggies depends on what is at hand

I also sometimes make a mirepoix of carrot celery,onion wasted in a blender or food processor. Cooked for 30 mins in 1 part butter to 5 parts "stuff".... 3 TBS of that added to the flour and butter and milk or water for the broth

Also a good substitute for water when making rice
        <message edited by FriedClamFanatic on Fri, 08/30/13 1:16 PM>

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
          Re:chicken pot pie recipes Mon, 09/2/13 1:52 PM (permalink)
          I just pull the meat off of a rotisserie chicken. Add to a large stew pot with chopped celery, onion, carrots, RUTABAGA (no potato), chopped parsnips (adds terrific flavor), chopped collards. Then just add some chicken stock, butter, cream and cook down to a thick consistency, but veggies still not that cooked. Use a 9" casserole and put a Pillsbury instant crust on the bottom. Top it off with the filling, and cover with the other crust. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until crust is brown.  I get raves every time.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:chicken pot pie recipes Mon, 09/2/13 8:18 PM (permalink)
            Thanks, Pancho. I believe  certain recipes  posted here are, well, not true. I make a tuna pot pie, and really don't need all the ingredients listed. I just do it. I like your addition of parsnips.

marteenhook

• Total Posts: 35
              Re:chicken pot pie recipes Tue, 09/17/13 4:53 AM (permalink)
              Chicken pot pie is one of the favorite recipes of main. To know more about chicken pot pie you can visit here  marthastewart(.)com/891257/classic-chicken-potpie

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                Re:chicken pot pie recipes Tue, 09/17/13 5:28 PM (permalink)
                Mmmmm. Tuna pot pie. I love it and still remember back in the good old days when Swanson made them. They were my go to pot pie as a kid. Wish the family liked tuna as much as I do, I'd find a tuna pot pie recipe and run with it. May have to do it anyway.

ann peeples

Re:chicken pot pie recipes Wed, 09/18/13 9:48 AM (permalink)
                  I loved them, too, Root-Beer Man, when Swanson and Banquet made them. My recipe is simple-2 cans tuna, cr. of mushroom soup, a little sour cream, milk, peas, carrots  chopped fresh tomatoes celery and onioins, chopped.( I sauté all veggies a bit in butter first).Get a Pillsbury pie crust-pour mixture in, top with other crust and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or so. Oh-I also add some cheddar cheese to the mix. Works with chicken, as well.

RachaelMurphy

• Total Posts: 1
                    Re:chicken pot pie recipes Fri, 09/27/13 3:29 AM (permalink)
                    The recipe looks great.Will try it out this weekend.

marteenhook

• Total Posts: 35
                      Re:chicken pot pie recipes Fri, 09/27/13 4:14 AM (permalink)
                      Really a good recipe. Just one question can I use simple butter in place of salted butter? 
                      Thanks

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                        Re:chicken pot pie recipes Fri, 09/27/13 8:41 AM (permalink)
                        We use a slight variant on Emeril's recipe.

• We use pearl onions.
                        • Even though I generally love them: Ix-Nay on the 'shrooms; they overwhelm the chicken taste, IMO.
                        • Using puff pastry as the crust absolutely ROCKS !!!  In fact, we prepare "extra" of it.  

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                          Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 09/28/13 9:20 AM (permalink)
                          ann peeples

I loved them, too, Root-Beer Man, when Swanson and Banquet made them. My recipe is simple-2 cans tuna, cr. of mushroom soup, a little sour cream, milk, peas, carrots  chopped fresh tomatoes celery and onioins, chopped.( I sauté all veggies a bit in butter first).Get a Pillsbury pie crust-pour mixture in, top with other crust and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or so. Oh-I also add some cheddar cheese to the mix. Works with chicken, as well.

Thanks, Pancho. I believe  certain recipes  posted here are, well, not true. I make a tuna pot pie, and really don't need all the ingredients listed. I just do it. I like your addition of parsnips.

Ann, I love it " I just do it" KISS, all I wanted to do is eat........GGGEEEZZZZZ if you make it to had, who the heck is going to do it.............thxs for keeping things basic.........It doesn't have to be a long involved recipe to be good................Now if you could do something with the Packers..................Bill

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                            Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 09/28/13 11:01 AM (permalink)
                            I prefer the taste of a chicken cooked in water with onion, carrot, celery and bouquet garnie to rotisserie chicken.  How hard is that?  You throw everything into a pot and let 'er rip.  You end up with your beautiful stock and a juicy poached chicken. 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                              Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 09/28/13 12:25 PM (permalink)
                              lleechef

I prefer the taste of a chicken cooked in water with onion, carrot, celery and bouquet garnie to rotisserie chicken.  How hard is that?  You throw everything into a pot and let 'er rip.  You end up with your beautiful stock and a juicy poached chicken. 

Amen!

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                                Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 09/28/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                My favorite chicken pot pie is a one-crust pastry on top of a thickened chicken gravy with stewed chicken, potatoes, celery, onion, carrots and maybe peas for color. Also, I add a couple of chopped hard boiled eggs - why you ask? 'cause that's how my mama made her pot pie! I also add some dried poultry seasoning herbs to flavor the sauce surrounding the chicken and vegetables.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                  Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 09/28/13 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                  What I like the most, though, is the gravy and the crust. I really don't even want the chicken and vegetables.
                                  I feel the same way about my husband's chicken and dumplings(he makes the bisquik kind). Just give me a bowl of the broth and the dumplings!
                                  <message edited by agnesrob on Sat, 09/28/13 7:22 PM>

ann peeples

Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sun, 09/29/13 7:53 AM (permalink)
                                    Bill-I would like to put the Packers in a pie crust and bake them at this point.....lol!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6217
                                      Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sun, 09/29/13 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                      ann peeples

Bill-I would like to put the Packers in a pie crust and bake them at this point.....lol!

Throw in all the Steelers and the coaches too and we could have "Four and Twenty Blackbirds Baked in a Pie".

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                        Re:chicken pot pie recipes Sat, 11/2/13 9:47 PM (permalink)
                                        Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, has hands down the best.chicken pot pie recipe.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com