Help me make tender porkchops

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/05/29 16:48:03
I've just about given up on porkchops. I've tried bone-in, boneless, thick cut, thin cut you name it. I've baked, fried, grilled and cooked in a crock pot. I just can't seem to get a tender juicy result. The crockpot almost fills the bill but I don't really like the texture of meat cooked that way. Somebody help!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 17:07:41
Remove chops from the fridge and season (hopefully, thick) rib chops with salt, pepper and any other herbs or spices you like. Then seal them in a plastic bag (a Foodsaver is best if you have one) and "marinate" them for 45 minutes outside of the fridge so they can get to room temp.
You can also use a wet marinade if you have a good one you like. I like a Chimichurri marinade. You can marinate them for 24 hours in a wet marinade. In the fridge, of course. 
When you remove them, let them sit 25 minutes at room temp and blot them dry to assist browning.

Heat up a well seasoned cast iron pan and after adding (just) a little oil, saute the chops gently for about 5-6 minutes a side depending on how thick the chops are. Be very careful not to overcook them. Use your finger to test the meat. If you can just feel a little softness with your finger, the chops are done. Remove them to a plate or platter. 

Despite popular opinion, I get better browning results for thick cuts of meat and thick burgers by turning the meat every minute or so rather than turning just once. I find the meat browns more evenly that way. After nicely browned, let them rest about 5 minutes (they will continue to cook) while you make a sauce from the pan drippings by adding a little wine, stock, or water to the hot pan to loosen the good sticky bits. After the liquid reduces, turn off the heat and swirl in a little cold butter and pour over the chops. That should do it!
Btw, thick rib chops are much better than loin chops.

My rib pork chops come out very tender and juicy using either of the above methods.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2013/05/29 20:49:57
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 17:16:15
Cook them to an internal temp of 135, preferably on indirect heat!
pnwchef
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 17:42:05
I use a Apple brine, don't over cook, ask you butcher to cut you a few like this..............or move next door to me............

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 17:44:09
I've had a problem with pork chops and some other cuts being way too dry and mealy tasting. One thing is that pork is just too lean from the store.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 19:18:52
kland01s

I've had a problem with pork chops and some other cuts being way too dry and mealy tasting. One thing is that pork is just too lean from the store.

Try to find a good butcher that sells quality Berkshire pork that's not too lean.
ces1948
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 19:47:52
I might be limited to what Publix and Winn Dixie sells. We don't have a lot of choices around here. We do have Sam's and BJ's but I'm not a current member. AFAIK there are no local butcher shops here.
edwmax
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 20:38:54
I have a couple of friends that cooks fork-tender porkchops for a crowd.    I haven't seen exactly how they do it, but the chops are severed from a large roaster and have liquid (water or broth) covering the chops.    ... So I'm sure they simple grill & sear the chops to caramelize the outside quickly; then finish slow-cooking in liquid until ready to serve.  ... Just like BBQ/slow cooking, you have to get the internal temp up to 190 to 195 deg F for connective tissue to break down. So liquid is the only way to do this without having a dry tough porkchop.  ... You can always sear the chop a 2nd time for a 'just out of the frying pan look'. That is if you are not serving a 100 quest.

... I did a web search and found a couple of post describing the same brazing style of cooking for tender porkchops.   This can be done on the stove top with a covered skillet or dutch oven; or in an oven with a covered roaster; crock-pot; and a pressure cooker.   these recipes indicate 20 mins cooking in liquid.

This is one of the recipes from another site:
Sear the chops on both sides, add water and/or white wine about half way up (i use a fairly deep frying pan), throw on a few onions sliced into rings, salt and pepper. Cover, and in... oh, gosh, what is it, about 20 minutes (?) you'll have super super tender chops, some delicious onions, and the makings for a good quick sauce or gravy. The onions and the leftover juices in the pan also are great over potatoes or whatever.

JUST DON"T over cook the chops to start with.  Pork dries out easily.  ...  Because my wife over cooks chops, I have almost completely stopped eating them.
post edited by edwmax - 2013/05/29 20:47:29
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 20:47:35
ces1948

I might be limited to what Publix and Winn Dixie sells. We don't have a lot of choices around here. We do have Sam's and BJ's but I'm not a current member. AFAIK there are no local butcher shops here.

I understand. Is there a Costco near you? They're meats are excellent. You should join Sam's.
You'll make up the cost of membership just on buying your gas there.
ROHfan
Hamburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 22:24:27
I almost always brine my pork chops in a salt water brine for at least 24 hours. Before grilling over lump charcoal I dry them thoroughly with paper towels and season with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil. I used a very hot coal fire on the grill and they are always flavorful and juicy. Do not give up!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/29 23:56:10
Get Thick chops or cut them yourself  An inch thick at the least.  Brown them in a HOT HOT pan..2-3 mins a side with some oil.

Remove from pan. set oven to 325 or as low as 300 Fill pan 1/2 full with chicken broth and whatever spices/sauces you like. Add chops. COVER!  Cook about 1 hour....or uncover and use a meat thermometer for ...........beef.......medium or med-rare
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 00:52:50
I use a whole bone-in rib roast , put on my rotisserie and cook it low 7 slow on my Grill using indirect heat and wood chips to smoke it a little. It self-bastes and comes out juicy and delicious! Cut it into chops. Cook to 160-165 degrees
porkbeaks
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 13:14:31
The best chops I've had lately were cut off a Berkshire rack of pork. No brine, no fancy sauces or gravy. A little S&P, a quick sear, and roasted at 375 to an internal of 145. I'm gonna try a larding needle on a regular pork loin. I might even brine it, but I just know it isn't gonna match up to the Berkshire.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 13:44:19
Has anyone noticed that the size of pork chops has doubled or more.
It must be the way the pigs are raised today.
I would rather have two the way they where raised 20 years ago than one of todays.
More flavor and better texture
Perhaps todays have water added.

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 13:48:21
pnwchef
Can I be your neighbor?? 
SeamusD
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 14:08:22
FriedClamFanatic

Get Thick chops or cut them yourself  An inch thick at the least.  Brown them in a HOT HOT pan..2-3 mins a side with some oil.

Remove from pan. set oven to 325 or as low as 300 Fill pan 1/2 full with chicken broth and whatever spices/sauces you like. Add chops. COVER!  Cook about 1 hour....or uncover and use a meat thermometer for ...........beef.......medium or med-rare

That's exactly what I do, but I use a pan I can go from stove top to oven with. I'll brown them good, then I like to use either a can of tomatoes w/green chilis and a dash of soy sauce, or a can of salsa verde. Throw it over the top and put the pan in the oven, uncovered at 325-350. Flip the chops once or twice while roasting, and once the sauce cooks down (20 minutes or so), it's done and always tender. I've been using pork shoulder steaks lately using this method, and they come out fantastic.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 14:40:10
Get your hands on some of this stuff. The way pork used to taste and probably better. Let me know if you find any!
http://www.nytimes.com/20...agewanted=all&_r=0
pnwchef
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 16:59:26
If you have a hard time making moist pork chop, try doing them German style. Buy blade gut pork chops, brown them and put them in a baking dish..............Top with a Sauerkraut and brown mixture mixture and they will be fork tender and look like this.............

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 17:01:46
pnwchef

If you have a hard time making moist pork chop, try doing them German style. Buy blade gut pork chops, brown them and put them in a baking dish..............Top with a Sauerkraut and brown mixture mixture and they will be fork tender and look like this.............

Wow, they look great! Hey, I'm going to PDX Saturday on Amtrak. I'll wave as I go by.

pnwchef
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 17:09:54
Pancho

pnwchef

Wow, they look great! Hey, I'm going to PDX Saturday on Amtrak. I'll wave as I go by.

I'm taking Amtrack to Chicago nextweek, I'll wave back............ You will be coming by Pasco at 5:30 AM, I'll be up, not sure about you..............
post edited by pnwchef - 2013/05/30 17:31:03
edwmax
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 19:06:15
pnwchef

I did that years ago with homemade Sauerkraut in a crockpot.   I was thinking doing some a few weeks ago, but couldn't remember the recipe.   Oh well,   do it from memory anyway.   ... I think I used some diced tomatoes too.  

Sneetch
Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 19:20:01
I have always had great luck cooking pork chops, even the thinner ones, just by doing these 2 things:
-marinate them for at least 2 days in orange juice and garlic
-grill them quickly, about 2 to 3 minutes on one side, then only another minute on the other
They will have the slightest hint of pink at the center, and be totally juicy. I buy a hand-raised pig from the farmer down the road, and have it butchered. I'm sure that cooking pork of this quality has alot to do with it not drying out. A bit more fat, as mentioned before, no added anything, and all the things that make a happy healthy pig will also make delicious pork products!
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 20:14:13
pnwchef

Pancho

pnwchef

I'm taking Amtrack to Chicago nextweek, I'll wave back............ You will be coming by Pasco at 5:30 AM, I'll be up, not sure about you..............
When are you leaving Pasco? I'm leaving PDX on the Cascades to Seattle on Friday 6/7...then hop on the Empire Builder to Columbus...maybe I'll see you after Spokane. That would be a weird coincidence.

pnwchef
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 20:29:17
Pancho, We leave on 6/6, pull into Chicago on Sat night, eating an Italian beef soon after landing. .................Have fun in Portland, it's a crazy food fun town...................pnwc
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/30 21:09:07
pnwchef

Pancho, We leave on 6/6, pull into Chicago on Sat night, eating an Italian beef soon after landing. .................Have fun in Portland, it's a crazy food fun town...................pnwc
Wow...will miss you by a day. Yeah, PDX is a great food/fun town. Hitting Pok Pok for sure and a Cuban place I can't remember the name. Also, Toro Bravo and Little Bird among others. I really like the food cart pods at 10th and Alder which is about 2 blocks from my hotel. Got any can't miss recommendations? I've been out there a bunch of times, but always open. Thanks...have a great IB and don't forget the giardinara.

pnwchef
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/05/31 08:38:45
Pancho

pnwchef

Wow...will miss you by a day. Yeah, PDX is a great food/fun town. Hitting Pok Pok for sure and a Cuban place I can't remember the name. Also, Toro Bravo and Little Bird among others. I really like the food cart pods at 10th and Alder which is about 2 blocks from my hotel. Got any can't miss recommendations? I've been out there a bunch of times, but always open. Thanks...have a great IB and don't forget the giardinara.

All cities s/b like Portland, I love the food freedom these food vendors show in their pods. Have fun with in Portland, I know you will......to bad on missing you on the train, we could have had a 2000 mile Roadfood chat...............have fun...............Bill

Portland street food site shows a lot of the new carts
La Sangucheria

Hours: Tues-Thurs, 10:30am-3:30pm, Fri/Sat, 12-7pm
La Sangucheria focuses on Peruvian sandwiches. The Saltado is a sauteed beef tenderloin served with sauteed onions, tomatoes, cilantro and fries. The Chicharro
BelleReve
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/06/01 15:19:31
First beat a couple of eggs in a mixing bowl - dip pork chops in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned breadcrumbs to which salt, pepper, and a little salt-free Creole seasoning has been added.  Heat a cast iron skillet with a little oil and cook pork chops on either side until lightly browned.  Using the same skillet, (you may need to add a little more oil at that point), cover with aluminum foil and bake in a low oven about 325 for about 45 minute - 1 hr.  Those pork chops will be so tender you'll be able to cut them with a fork.

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/06/01 15:35:39
BelleReve

First beat a couple of eggs in a mixing bowl - dip pork chops in egg mixture, then coat with seasoned breadcrumbs to which salt, pepper, and a little salt-free Creole seasoning has been added.  Heat a cast iron skillet with a little oil and cook pork chops on either side until lightly browned.  Using the same skillet, (you may need to add a little more oil at that point), cover with aluminum foil and bake in a low oven about 325 for about 45 minute - 1 hr.  Those pork chops will be so tender you'll be able to cut them with a fork.

Im coming for dinner what time did you say it will be served??
BelleReve
Re:Help me make tender porkchops 2013/06/01 16:42:47
Cajunking - day after tomorrow, red bean Monday, naturally.