HELP!! I'm confused

peloquin6
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 9:25 AM
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Is there anyone out there in Florida that can walk me through the steps necessary to get my trailer up and running as far as permits, licenses and inspections go? I have all the forms but they are confusing the hell out of me. It seems as though you need this to do that but can't do that without first doing this. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out (or am I making much ado about nothing). If my trailer is self sufficient, do I need a commisary? I read that you do not, however, the application I have asks for information on commisarys but says nothing about being self sufficient. (Sorry about my spelling, not a strong point). Thank you in advance.

zieser
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 10:17 AM
[This post was marked as helpful]
Have you asked a person at your local health department any of these questions.  One inspector I talked with gave me his card with contact info and we have emailed each other back and forth a few times.  They are more than happy when they find vendors that want to do everything the correct way.

roadkillgrill
  • Total Posts : 174
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 10:44 AM
Yes.... much ado about nothing. rofl
Yes contact HD, they are your friend...
Make sure you have the correct form. it should be... DBPR HR-7031
and you  are applying as... 2014MFDV
yes they just did away with commissary for self contained, however you still have to come up with an approved water source and "and yo home ain't one of them" and you have to state where you're going to dump your gray tank.. both have to be approved.

Loopholes: some states WILL allow you to install a separate commercial water meter and a rv type dump station at your home separate from your home sewer. Costly but cheaper in the long haul.

peloquin6
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 11:18 AM
I do have DBPR HR 7031. Would that be my first step?

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 12:52 PM
peloquin6

I do have DBPR HR 7031. Would that be my first step?

Each state is different, so you need help from someone that lives in and has gone thought the permitting process in FLORIDA.   ... I think some counties have addition requirements as well as complete ban on open cart (hot dog type) sells.   Also, under certain circumstances you have to obtain the permit from the Fla Dept of Agriculture.   And, I believe working 'nonprofit events' permits are not required; only street corner public mobile food service.   ... The FL mobile food code is online.

roadkillgrill
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 2:08 PM
Go to:
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1035&clientCode=2014&XACT_DEFN_ID=13959

I already have license in AR, MS & TN, currently working on my license for FL. It's not that much different than other states, just different hoops to jump. First and most time consuming is your detailed drawing, no matter if it's a new build or an existing unit it must still be done. So get pencil and paper out!!! LOL Keep in mind that most cities don't allow mobiles in the tourist areas/beaches areas, ie you cant even get close to Pier Park unless you go to the other end of Front Beach Road. I've tried for years. Also you are not allowed on Santa Rosa at Pensacola, and the FWB restaurants are ALL owned by the association and you are not allowed there either.  Cant park in existing parking lots due to the allocated spaces are per code for the business that is already there. Worry more about municipal zoning codes than health codes depending on your area. you get north of those areas you are ok.

edwmax, they do charge a temp fee for nonprofit events, oh boy do they ever!!!! Last one I did was $150 for 2 days. I'm sure, just like here in the MidSouth, they don't go to smaller events.

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 2:22 PM
roadkillgrill

edwmax, they do charge a temp fee for nonprofit events, oh boy do they ever!!!! Last one I did was $150 for 2 days. I'm sure, just like here in the MidSouth, they don't go to smaller events.

Then that's been a change in the last couple of years, assuming you are not referring to the 'event fees' by the promoter.   Before nonprofit events were specifically exempted.
<message edited by edwmax on Wed, 06/5/13 3:31 PM>

roadkillgrill
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 3:06 PM
no, they came with clipboard and receipt book in-hand. The only perk to paying fees at the event is that vendors were not required to have a commissary. That's why I paid the higher fees. Now it's not required for self contained so it's cheaper in the long haul just to go ahead and get a permit. Now I am searching where exactly I want to move to.  Looking for lots and lots and lots of 'pigeons'

fishscale28
  • Total Posts : 222
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 7:55 PM
Howdy!  

I'm actually going through much the same as you right now so might be able to help a little.  You've gotten some good advice thusfar and the first place you need to start is your food service plan review.  You'll have to draw out your truck/trailer with all the equipment, windows, doors, etc. and make sure everything is labeled with measurements.   They'll want to know what your plans for sinks, coolers, cooking surfaces, water storage, waste, hot water, etc.  You'll also need an approved place to get fresh water and dispose of your waste water.  Some restaurants will let you pay to do it there but you'll likely need to find a "commissary" or rental kitchen with said facilities.  You'll have to send in a copy of their water bill or go through the motions of going to a government office and having them look up, verify, then sign off on the paperwork so you can then submit to DBPR.  Water bill is so much easier...

Send that in with the money required and they'll take a look and let you know what you need to do, if anything.  Next you'll do your buildout and make sure everything is at least what you submitted.  Sure there are going to be some changes along the way but it needs to be pretty close-especially with fresh water, hot water and waste water.  Once you get close to being finished go ahead and fill out the paperwork for the license.  You'll HAVE to have the site review first then you'll fill out the license info, get the next check ready then send off for that.  They'll usually then have a local inspector call you to setup a time to come and see things.  

When they come be sure you have hand soap, paper towels, sanitizer (for pot sink but hand would be great too), sanitizer test paper (litmus paper), pot soap, etc.  Have proper cleaning gear, sanitizer buckets, proper storage procedures, etc. ready to rock.

Now here is where the local rules take their separate runs.  Once you pass you'll need to be able to sell food in your city/county.  You will need to get your business tax receipts for your county and also your city.  If you want to sell in several be prepared to repeat the process for any jurisdiction...The county stuff is basically so they know their getting their cut.  The city stuff is to make sure you have permission to remain mobile (think ice cream truck), stationary (think a corner lot somewhere) or events.  Or all three.  Here, if you keep moving and stop only to serve a line, things go pretty easily.  If you want to park somewhere they get into zoning, owner approval, etc.  Events are a little different but you have to have your tax receipts either way.

Now the last little bit changes from city to city and some make it easier than others.  Even some of the people within any departments have no idea what to tell you or who you need to talk to but rest assured someone will catchup to you and let you know if you're doing something wrong.  Basically it boils down to the departments who regulate what you do, make sure you do it safely, have the tax info ironed out for the jurisdiction then make sure the cities where you plan on working are ok with what you want to do and get their tax love on top.

Hopefully that helps!!!

scox
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Wed, 06/5/13 11:16 PM
Fishscale28 is spot on.  I'm also doing a build. 92 trolley converted to food truck.  Tampa.  Although, I had been informed that a commissary is unnecessary if your unit is self sufficient.  You will still need to find a facility to drop waste.   Speak with your local fire marshal, inspector for further direction.  

good luck

sc 

peloquin6
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Thu, 06/6/13 10:47 AM
I want to thank you all for your help, I feel that maybe this is a mountain I can climb. This site has been a blessing withh many unselfish persons willing to help a brother out. Hopefully someday I can help someone else out with their questions.

daddywoofdawg
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Thu, 06/6/13 11:25 AM
In My area It's ok to dump waste at a approved RV park or sewer transfer station.

Buck & Vi's
  • Total Posts : 822
Re:HELP!! I'm confused - Sun, 06/9/13 8:00 AM
peloquin,
        when I applied for my license few years ago I e-mailed the questions I had to the h/d they are very helpful and very good with response time also, and better yet.....you always have a record of what was asked and answered....since then I have an inspector that gives his bizz. phone and will answer any questions that we might have