Who are and how many food chasers do we have?

Fire Safety Admin
2013/06/07 15:34:19
I know many of you chase certain kinds of foods and desserts.  Probably more than I know of but I can name a few:
1:  How far would BB travel for pie?  Seems to me all over the USA
2:  How far does WJ go for coffee.  He never does a write up without mentioning coffee
3:  I think Davydd has traveled the USA for breaded pork sandwiches although it seems that the best ones are in some of his neighboring states.  It seems I recall him having one somewhere in Alaska and some border town in Texas.
4:  Al the Mayor travels extensively for BBQ.  I have been with him several times on these excursions.
5:  Sundancer likes chicken parma with pasta.  Easy to find but hard to find very very good.

You all can add to the list with those that you know of or even your own name.  All of us like good food but it seems that many have a particular focus.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 15:47:02
Well, I've driven 650 miles for apizza. Yes, really just to Pepe's and then back the next day. And I go 100 miles round trip for burgers at Crabill's. Several times a year there's the trip to Port Clinton just for the perch and walleye sandwiches at the Jolly Roger, and that's 240 miles round trip. (That does not include the stops at the Jolly Roger while in town to fish.)
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 16:22:25
Last summer, when I still lived in southeastern Indiana, I spent a full day driving down to Bluff City TN and back just to have one of those incredible BBQ pork sandwiches at the Ridgewood for lunch. Does that count?
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 16:45:57
carolina bob

Last summer, when I still lived in southeastern Indiana, I spent a full day driving down to Bluff City TN and back just to have one of those incredible BBQ pork sandwiches at the Ridgewood for lunch. Does that count?

Not unless you had their incredible BBQ beans and excellent fresh-cut fries (IMO, their BBQ is 3rd behind their beans & fries, although I might argue their pork tenderloin sandwich could actually be better than their BBQ).

Someday, I'll remember they are not open on Mondays.  Twice in recent years we made the detour off I-81 only to find them closed on Mondays.  Need to delay our trips an extra day so we can be there on a Tuesday (would that count?).
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 17:01:56
I've driven 150 miles each way to Santa Barbara just to go to La Super Rica
I used to drive 100 miles each way to Port San Luis for live spider crabs. At the time, I could get a 12 pounder for $1.25 per pound. Worth the drive!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 17:05:02
I've found pork tenderloin sandwiches of all varieties in 20 states and provinces in 139 different restaurants since RVing the past 8 years. There are more but it is just a matter of time getting to them. True, they center mostly in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. From there they die off very fast. When you find them elsewhere it is generally because of an expat of those states opening a restaurant (AZ and FL) or they quickly become variants like a "Schnitzel sandwich" in a German restaurant. Northernmost? Palmer, Alaska and Trail Center on the Gunflint Trail in Minnesota for the lower 48. Most southern? Haven't checked the latitude but it could be the North Naples Country Club in Florida or the Riverside Club in Mission, Texas on the Rio Grande River. Western? So far Hash House A Go Go in Las Vegas. Eastern? Several in and around Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. The German immigrants call them Schnitzel sandwiches in Canada. That's what they were originally called in the first documented instance in 1908 in Huntington, IN.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 17:07:58
Paul -  Can I just answer "Yes"????
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 17:31:30
I have driven near and far in search of closed restaurants.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 18:12:12
The Travelin Man

I have driven near and far in search of closed restaurants.

That could be a healthy pursuit.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 18:34:01
I fly from STL to ABQ once or twice a year (since 2005) just to get some GCCBs.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 19:29:01
I don't chase, but once in an area with a specialty I try my best to hit many places to compare executions.

For instance:

I ate Key Lime Pie every lunch and dinner when in South Florida.

Gumbo also at lunch and dinner when in New Orleans and the surrounding area.

New Mexico has me eating both red and green chile.... everywhere!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 21:01:43
I once flew from Cincy to ME for Clam Chowdah and Lobster Rolls then back home again that evening.

I am like Marlene, once in an area look out!  must eat every type and place.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 21:38:47
I know I'll be getting noooo credit for this but 2766 miles chasing a post-season Shamrock Shake...is far.

kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/07 23:29:01
Extreme Glow

I fly from STL to ABQ once or twice a year (since 2005) just to get some GCCBs.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 00:15:41
Davydd
The Travelin Man I have driven near and far in search of closed restaurants.
That could be a healthy pursuit.
Are you kidding?!?  That poor boy could starve to death!

Buddy
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 07:25:16
I guess I sorta made the definition up but in my mind, it was folks who travel extensively in pursuit of one particular type of food.  We all enjoy different things but some of you  always always have a specific food in mind IE: pie, bbq, burgers and breaded fried tenderloin.

I know many of you have traveled far just when you had a desire for one thing but are you always in pursuit of that specific food?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 07:35:36
While living in Sheboygan, we discovered there was no decent pizza. So Bob and I would drive 100 miles round trip to our beloved Pepi's pizza on Milwaukee's south side. Always bought two pies-one for the ride back, one for home.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 11:20:23
I will go far and wide in this area for fried clams.  Also to find a market for Hog Jowl, slab bacon..and sometime Beef Tri-tip.  Other than that, if it isn't on the way, I usually pass some of the places mentioned by and eat at some place convenient (non-chain).  Used to be I'd look for "trucker places"..but in the past decade or so, I tend to look for places that have what looks like local cars and especially pick-up trucks/vans.  The price of gas has superceded my culinary quests.
RubyRose
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 19:56:39
There's not a single time that I have seen a pork tenderloin sandwich on a menu or at a food stand at an event that I don't wonder how Davydd would rate it.

My friend Mary and I would be considered Tea Room Chasers. We've visited at least thirty different ones since we started our quest a few years ago. Besides the food, we like the leisurely pace of them.

We try to order the standard tea luncheon of tea, soup, scone(s), assorted tea sandwiches and a selection of desserts. That way, we get a good basis to compare them to each other.

I sometimes take photos so we can recall them but have never done a trip report because tea sandwiches are not as interesting or popular as hot dogs or pizza. We do have fun exploring them though.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 20:28:56
That's both beautiful & interesting RubyRose!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 20:30:35
RubyRose,

You need to check out Antiquity Rose in Excelsior, MN. 

Antiquity Rose
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 22:10:22
RudyRose, a beautiful and scrumptious report!! Thank you for something different!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 22:46:19
Keeping with the spirit of chasers...

A Roadfood Watch is issued when conditions are favorable for the development of meal stops that are capable of producing Roadfood Reviewed Restaurant Meals.

A Roadfood Warning is an alert issued to warn that a Roadfood Reviewed Restaurant is within imminent distance while traveling.

We've traveled with Roadfood Points of Interest on our Sat-Nav (GPS) which was pretty good in alerting us to Roadfood Warnings. The Roadfood App (really a link to the Roadfood mobile website) appears to be a spectacular improvement for on-the-fly identification of Roadfood restaurants while traveling.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/08 23:03:53
I've Driven from Pensacola, FL to Miami just to go to Joe's Stone Crab - 678 miles, 12 hours one way.
Stayed overnite & drove back.
FL is a LONG A** State!
Also Pensacola to Beaux Bridge, LA to go to the Crawfish Festival - 311 Miles, 4 hours one way.
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/06/08 23:10:50
billyboy
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/09 03:31:25
Don't know that I've really traveled terribly far in search of food but one time I did drive from Rome, NY to Boston, MA (about 275 miles) to get a burrito at Anna's Taqueria!  Though I did have an audition that day in Boston.  Read for the part (didn't get it!), stopped at Ann's for a monster Carnitas Super Burrito with sour cream & lots of jalapenos and then drove home the same day.

Sundancer7, I too am always on the lookout for a killer chicken parm, but in sub sandwich form.  I have also found that many places make them but not very well.  For me, the bread should be toasted, chicken: moist inside, crispy outside, a judicious amount of melted fresh mozzarella and a liberal dose of sweet tomato sauce.  I've come across a few gems that I make my way back to from time to time.

RubyRose, love your pics of those tea sandwiches!  While tea rooms may not get as much press as hot dogs, pizza or even burgers, they are definitely interesting.  Would love to read a review/Trip Report about some you have found.
love2bake
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/09 08:53:26
RubyRose - I love those tea room pics!  It's a wonderful tradition, too.

I'm not really a food chaser (unless you count the traveling I do once a year for the pie gig), but I really like Mar's approach - trying as many versions of a local dish as you can once you're there.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/09 09:26:30
The Sterns' have nominated the chicken parmigiana sub @ Tino's Deli in the Bronx...KING of Hot Italian Sandwiches. I'll second that.

http://www.roadfood.com/R...nt/Overview/6256/tinos

http://www.tinosdeli.com/About-Us.html

It's good to be King!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/06/09 09:34:41
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 21:48:07
I'm somewhat surprised that I'm associated with searching out coffee....
I do like a good quality cup of coffee, and I'll admit my last trip report probably paid a little more attention to it, but that's because I was in the Java Belt of the nation- Seattle..

I would like to be associated with someone who pursues regional restaurants but it's  the Stern's that get the credit for that ...

Maybe being associated with always pursuing ice cream would be more indicative of me?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 22:16:16
With all due respect WJ, Almost every trip report you've posted has some reference to coffee's. While you may be in denial, it is what it is!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 22:44:16
Foodbme

With all due respect WJ, Almost every trip report you've posted has some reference to coffee's. While you may be in denial, it is what it is!

Every trip I have ever been with WJ, I usually saw him out early on a power walk looking for the ultimate cup.  About every report he writes, they is always a mention of a couple of places he bought either good, bad or better coffee.  That is what made me think of him as a type of food chaser.

I know that he enjoys lotsa other things but coffee always comes up.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
billyboy
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 23:06:57
Is anyone else having problems viewing recent posts in this and other threads?  The most recent one I can see is from CCinNJ from 1 day and 13 hours ago but I know there have been a few more and the most recent one listed in Today's Posts under the Forum Menu is from Sundancer about 21 minutes ago.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 23:09:29
It's the software glitch from the latest update. Try deleting all of your contacts/friends in your user panel...and adding them back. That should fix it.
billyboy
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 23:10:30
As sad as this sounds, where is the User Panel?

Found it!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 23:11:32
Two seats to the left of log in/out.

User Control Panel.
billyboy
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/10 23:45:27
WJ, between coneys in Detroit, smoothies in L.A., fish tacos in San Diego, cheesesteaks in Philly, cod cakes, baked beans & brown bread in Boston, meat & threes in the South and countless other regionally inspired travels you are definitely an inspiration to myself and many others to seek out the best specialties that so many cities and regions have to offer!
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 10:08:32
It seems as though there might be 2 kinds of chasers here.

1. Those who look for a specific dish regardless of where they are.
2. Those who look for regional specialties based on where they happen to be.

I'm a little of both, I guess.  I'm always on the lookout for barbecue regardless of where I am, even if it's not considered representative, and at the same time if there's a regional specialty that sounds interesting I'll try to give it a try as well.

As far as traveling great distances solely for food...I don't mind 30-40 miles each way (especially if it's a nice day for a drive) but hundreds of miles would be a bit much for me.

Awhile back Taco Bell ran a commercial about some 20-somethings that piled into a car and drove 900 miles each way just to get tacos made with those Doritos-based shells.  I wasn't exactly impressed.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/06/11 10:10:06
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 11:49:47
ScreamingChicken

I am solidly in this second category, those few times when I am actually travelling

Our top recent favorite was the rock shrimp at Dixie Crossroads.  If that place was in our neck of the woods, we'd eat there at least once a week
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 11:50:20
Ours is fish sandwiches.  We drive 250 miles round-trip to Port Clinton, OH for a walleye and a perch sandwich.  We often take a detour on the way home from PA to go to Wholey's in Pittsburgh.
love2bake
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 14:01:17
In a related incident, I once traveled 500 miles rt in one day to ride the Coney Island Cyclone, and in the process ate at Nathan's and brought home several more pounds of them in a cooler.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 15:32:51
ScreamingChicken

It seems as though there might be 2 kinds of chasers here.

1. Those who look for a specific dish regardless of where they are.

I'd be both. I've covered close to 120,000 miles these past 8 years in our Camper Van RV and sometimes automobile (winter) mostly on the back roads or 90% off the freeways. This spring we spent two months traveling around Texas and I did have one destination in mind (planned for years) for a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich right on the Rio Grande border. Then along the Texas coast from Galveston to South Padre Island it was mostly seafood. Since we had time we did make a side trip into Louisiana, mostly Cajun country to tackle every variety of Cajun we could find including the marriage of a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich with fried crawfish and oysters at Prejeans in Lafayette, LA. That wasn't on the menu. I had to ask for it to be made up special.

I will also prioritize and seek out any brew pubs or microbreweries.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 16:07:04
lleechef

Ours is fish sandwiches. 

Gee, I wonder where you are from?

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Who are and how many food chasers do we have? 2013/06/11 16:26:47
Brad - I would be in both categories, that is why I answered "YES"