LockedOfficial Review For Chubby's BBQ!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Filet Mignon
2013/06/09 19:59:19
Classic BBQ Joint Just below The Mason-Dixon in Maryland.

OK, Here it is, the review everybody has been waiting for.....best BBQ in the East....Chubby's in Emmitsburg, MD.  I travel Route 15 in Maryland when I visit my daughter in Virginia.  No trip is complete without a stop at Chubby's.
I recently visited with my wife, business partner and his wife.  It was my Partners first time there, to say the least, he was stunned at how fantastic the food was. He's a Huge BBQ fan, said it was by far the best Q he's ever had. I agree, my Ribs were huge, smokey and moist and my wife is in love with the incredibly moist, pulled pork.  The sides are all fantastic, especially the beans and greens...huge portions. I've been to many BBQ joints in the East, none comes close to Chubby's.
Service is quick and friendly, the prices very reasonably, and like I said, HUGE portions!  The owner, Tom Caulfield is always on site meeting and greeting the customers.

Slow Smoked baked Beans.

Best Beans Anywhere.  Chubby's Beans Are Fantastic.  Sometimes There is More Pork Than Beans.

The Old Pork Puller Himself.

Chubby's Owner, Tom Caulfield, Standing in Front of His Smoker.

French Fries With Fresh Garlic.

You Will Repel Vampires in a 100 Mile Radius.

Onion Rings With fresh Garlic.

If You Love garlic, Do Not Miss This Item.

Baby Back Ribs - 1/2 Rack.

5-Star Ribs!  Huge, Moist and Smokey!

http://chubbysbbq.net/

Chubby’s Southern Barbeque
16430 Old Frederick Rd.
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
301-447-3322

That's all for now!
post edited by joerogo - 2013/06/09 20:17:01
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/09 20:07:19
Are you sure that's not a  very elderly Holden Caulfield?

I have to get there. When even Joe Rogo says something's good, well, maybe it is.

Wait. Where's the bacon?
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/09 20:54:41
Wait Wait!!!..There's so much More! You get Tom's rapier wit....and a menu that Joerogo has only just touched on  Not to mention some wonderful scenery on the way and Gettysburg within  a (hefty) spitting distance.

Rumor has it  the NSA monitors Chubby's phone calls to find out what Q is being ordered the most, and then sends a special truck up for it's weekly in-house bash!
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 01:31:48
I figured out why it took it so long to get this review on line, it was the words " OLD PORK PULLER"

I am pleased that the squeeky wheel, finaaly got the "grease". Nice review, I hope ther is more to it, and more pictures. The food looks great.
billyboy
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 02:26:36
Lookin' good, Joe Rogo and Tom!  I know this would be a stop if I'm ever in the area.  Thanks!
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 07:29:15
Bloody good show joerogo.  

It's been too long since I've been to Chubby's.   A plus for residents of the People's Republic of Maryland is that Keystone Fireworks is just over the PA. line in Gettysburg, so I'll have to schedule a trip before July 4th for the always excellent food at Chubby's and the 'good stuff' fireworks at Keystone.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 08:48:40
Mrs. Metro and I are thinking of moving "back East".  If we do, Chubby's will be right there with crabcakes at G & M on our weekend ventures list.

Those baked beans look beyond wonderful!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 11:14:31
That food looks absolutely divine!  I'm going to have to force MH to take me to Chubby's even if I have to drag him kicking and screaming!! 
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 12:39:46
Are the fries and rings crisp?  The pictures make them look kind of limp/soggy.  Not a single plastic utensil in sight! 

Oops.  Just noticed Joe won't be able to answer that question anytime soon.  My bad.
post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/06/10 14:09:34
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 13:54:24
Looks like a delicious place, Joe. Nice review!
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 14:02:24
Great looking food. Any St Louis Ribs in addition to the Baby Backs, Joe?
brisketboy
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 14:27:08
I would really like to have a big bowl of those beans. Never seen anything like it!
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 14:43:37
Joe, thank you, most appreciated.
Any of you who come here PLEASE introduce yourselves.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 14:56:29
chewingthefat

Joe, thank you, most appreciated.

Janet and I went to Chubby's about a year ago, and did not know it was associated with you.  We had a wonderful meal!  Keep up the good work!   Chubby's is less than 2 hours from where we live, so we'll be sure to make another visit soon. 

Glenn

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 15:44:53
No kicking. No screaming. It looks as if lleechef and I will partake of those beans and a few other things next week.
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 15:52:21
chewingthefat

Step 1.  Cause trouble.
Step 2.  Introduce myself as Buddy Roadhouse.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 16:04:10
Step 3. Before finishing your meal say you didn't like it and refuse to pay. And don't forget to complain about the drink not being cold.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 16:37:53
Ate there a couple years ago and had a nice long chit chat with Tom. Great place, great food, competent owner ;-)

Here's my blog post should anyone care to read.
http://bit.ly/13Spv6G

DT

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 16:50:42
Davwud
Nice blog post.....now I'm really looking forward to going there next week!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 17:36:45
Lisa -

You and MH going to visit Gettysburg BEFORE the mass of humanity gets there for the 150th Anniversary.  You might get stuck in the kitchen if chewy needs some hep for the masses.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 18:01:21
ScreamingChicken
chewingthefat Any of you who come here PLEASE introduce yourselves.
Step 1.  Cause trouble.
Step 2.  Introduce myself as Buddy Roadhouse.
Yup, that sounds like me.

More on this subject later (causing trouble), based on time and interest in pursuing it.

Buddy

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 21:57:43
Please keep comments in this thread about the restaurant that was reviewed. It would not be fair to restaurant owner to keep veering off topic here. Thanks!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/10 23:53:50
Hope someday to visit u. Love the battlefield, would like some good barbecue. 
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 07:38:26
Chubby's is on my Bucket list ! Among other reasons, I want to check out the decorations in his award-winning restrooms !!
We haven't revisited the Gettysburg area since they removed the "Electric Map" of the Battlefield Events. Perhaps it is time to head East again for some Que and Amish stuff.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 08:12:30
If Chubby's wasn't 494 miles from Knoxville, TN, Roz and I would go this weekend.  A major component of Roz's dissertation on behavioral health is Obamacare.  Roz needs to schedule a trip for her research to DC.  Perhaps we could tie that in with a visit to Chubby's.

Al and I drove 350 miles for BBQ in TN so I guess 494 is not out of the question.  Perhaps at that time we could have a major roadfood meeting at Chubby's?

Paul E. Smith
pnwchef
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 09:05:58
Joe, Great review, I always love your honesty when you write about a restaurant. I have always respected your opinion, you are a quality guy. Tom, the food looks great, Joe's review shows that your hard work and caring has paid off. I am proud of you buddy.......................Bill
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 11:24:50
Perhaps Joe would consider hosting a Meet and Eat -- Incognito, of course, due to his current status as Persona non Grata in certain social circles.

It would make a great "Sidebar" video for the next BBQ PITMASTERS reality episode.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 11:36:10
Well, anyone that wants to join us next Wednesday, June 19 is welcome!!!  I'm sure Tom would love to see a bunch of smiling Roadfooders happily chowing down on his BBQ!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 11:38:27
I might just wear a Hawaiian shirt ... to eat barbeque at Chubby's.

Edited to stay on topic.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2013/06/11 11:40:14
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 11:52:16
I wish we could join you, but it is not in the cards at this time...Maybe we can ask for a doggie bag...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 12:00:12
I sorta wish Lisa and MH would delay their visit.  Roz and I could not possibly work in the trek.  She does have to be in DC to do some research for her dissertation on behavior health concerning Obamacare but that is a few weeks away.  We would enjoy the visit but not this coming Wednesday.

That would give other roadfooders a chance to plan.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 12:02:27
We'd love to wait, but this trip is tied to a visit to lleechef's mother in Pennsylvania.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 13:18:13
Understand perfectly.

Perhaps a later date several of us could meet at Chubby's.  494 miles for me but we could tie into a trip to DC.  Maybe at that time the Mayor could arrange a visit also along with other Rogo friends.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/11 14:48:42
I'm for that.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 16:54:19
I feel sorry for all of you venturing off to Chubby's!  It is too difficult to decide what to order there.  Everything is delicious.  My personal favorites are  the cream of crab soup (awesome),  his fried potatoes, the collard greens and the pulled pork and the brisket.  Also, his smoked corn beef is terrific and his pork bells rules!  Oh yes, I forgot his awesome "dogs".
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 17:31:27
I am wondering if the Glee Club might consider giving up their usual 'warm-climate' meeting location this coming winter to hold an Amish/BBQ/Crabcake Meet and Eat using Chubby's at the main Dinner location for the usual Saturday evening dinner. That would give us a lot of time to organize the event...and let Tom get his Rocky Mtn Oysters ready to serve !!   We would draw some of the members who have been unable to attend in the past.
Fridy night Crabcakes at G&M or somewhere else.....Saturday Lancaster Market and an Amish Lunch, then the Saturday Banquet at Chubby's and  wrap-up Sunday somewhere in that area?????????
Just thinkin'...we would drive, but direct air would be available to B-more or Philly . I think a real program of entertainment could be assembled with the planning time available.

Think about it and email me if you think it would work...
AL
ChrisOC
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 17:41:51
That would be a possibility for Ms. OC and I.  I could get out my Hawaiian shirts!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 18:38:52
YES!!!!!!!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 18:55:52
DOUBLE YES!!!!!!!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 19:04:05
Damn........I can make it there in 2.5 hours or less!....Sounds like a plan!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 19:17:25
Yes but I gotta tie it in with a DC trip for Roz's research on her dissertation.  494 miles to Emmitsburg from Knoxville, TN.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 20:08:09

<<...."Just thinkin'...we would drive, but direct air would be available to B-more or Philly ."....>>

Yu should also check out Washington-Dulles in the western burbs of northern VA.  

According to  MapQuest:  
PHL to Emmitsburg, MD - 2 hrs. 44 min. 
BWI to Emmitsburg, MD - 1 hr. 19 min.
IAD to Emmitsburg, MD - 1 hr. 22 min.

If course, if you plan to start and finish your tour near Lancaster, then PHL would make sense.  But, if you start/end near Chubby's, then  BWI or IAD look to be good choices. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/06/12 20:40:20
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 20:35:45
I have been in Lancaster, PA many times as well as all surrounding areas.  It is special, beautiful, great market that is open a couple of days a week offering mostly Amish products, great farms and great food. Don't forget Intercourse with those who has a great sense of humor but double outstanding crafts.  It would be too far out of the way for me, however Baltimore and Emmitsburg would work.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 20:49:50
It is looking more and more that we will be heading for the DC area in early August. We hope to take in Gettysburg on that trip either going to or coming from Burke, VA. Our plans are to visit our daughter's family in Burke, VA and take our 10 year old granddaughter back to Minnesota in our RV for a family reunion on 16 August at a private lake. Her parents would fly out to Minnesota. Just guessing and trying to work out our logistics it looks like around 3 August for us at this time. That's just a guess on my part right now. Trying to coordinate with everybody in our family is a pain right now with so many conflicting things going on.

Tonka Bay, MN to Emmitsburg, MD is only 1,068 miles and 17 hours driving time.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 21:11:43
Davydd

Piece of cake.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/12 23:14:23
Michael Hoffman

Davydd

Piece of cake.

For me it is. I've already driven 12,000 on the highways this spring in our RV.

At an average of 45 mph according to the onboard computer  that is 267 hours of driving already. " />
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/13 06:46:48
We will consider the shift of Locations for the President's Day Sessions. Haven't heard from many members yet. It is about 650 miles each way for us. One long day on the road, so long at the weather holds...about the same for Mobile !!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/13 06:53:13
mayor al

We will consider the shift of Locations for the President's Day Sessions. Haven't heard from many members yet. It is about 650 miles each way for us. One long day on the road, so long at the weather holds...about the same for Mobile !!

Good point Al.  I had not thought about it that way.  As Michael said "Piece of cake".

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
pnwchef
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 07:48:11
Ggggeeeeezzzzzzzzz.......Joe Rogo writes a review,gets banned, now everyone want's to have a meet at Chubby's. What in Sam Hill does that tell you, maybe the banner should think this over a bit......... Roadfood without Joe Rogo is like a day without Lasagna..........pnwc
Big Frank
Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 08:43:53
Looks like a side trip to Chubby's BBQ will be in order the next time my wife and I go to Gettysburg.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 11:10:29

It looks likes ChewingTheFat is also banned.  He has that little symbol in the top right corner of his posting from 6-10-2013.   Can banned members continue to see postings here, and not post?  Or, are they also prevented from even seeing postings, as well?  Janet and I are thinking of heading to Chubby's next weekend (either 6/22 or 6/23).     We are less than 2 hours away. 

Glenn

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 11:17:12
pnwchef - would like to send you a PM but cannot, says your folder is full

glenn - a banned user can still come to the site and read posts like any unregistered guest.  They cant post or make use of PMs or identity-specific stuff like that
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2013/06/14 12:08:33
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 11:44:39
TJ Jackson
big glenn - a banned user can still come to the site and read posts like any unregistered guest.  They cant post or make use of PMs or identity-specific stuff like that

TJ Jackson -  
Thanks for the reply.  That makes sense.   By the way, I'm just "Glenn", not  "Big Glenn".   I think there is another RoadFooder that goes by that handle. 

Glenn

Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:03:40
mayor al

I am wondering if the Glee Club might consider giving up their usual 'warm-climate' meeting location this coming winter to hold an Amish/BBQ/Crabcake Meet and Eat using Chubby's at the main Dinner location for the usual Saturday evening dinner. That would give us a lot of time to organize the event...and let Tom get his Rocky Mtn Oysters ready to serve !!   We would draw some of the members who have been unable to attend in the past.
Fridy night Crabcakes at G&M or somewhere else.....Saturday Lancaster Market and an Amish Lunch, then the Saturday Banquet at Chubby's and  wrap-up Sunday somewhere in that area?????????
Just thinkin'...we would drive, but direct air would be available to B-more or Philly . I think a real program of entertainment could be assembled with the planning time available.

AL

I would be in favor of this plan and would make the drive - only about 7 hours - down from Buffalo.  It would be outstanding to meet some more Roadfooders.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:10:47
Glenn1234
I'm just "Glenn", not  "Big Glenn"

sorry....fixed it
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:21:51
Buffalo Tarheel

mayor al

AL

I would be in favor of this plan and would make the drive - only about 7 hours - down from Buffalo.  It would be outstanding to meet some more Roadfooders.

I've always wanted to meet a Buffalo Tarheel. If Al gets the Glee Club gathering moved be sure to bring your Hawaiian shirt.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:22:57
Buffalo Tarheel,   we would be glad to have you join the group. If we can get the concensus of the glee club folks, we will get on with the planning. Our custom has been to meet on the President's Day weekend...usually Friday night and Saturday and Sunday morning in a warm weather location. We had been thinking of Jacksonville, FL up to this point. However it would be a good thing to get a big group to check out Chubby's and some of the other favorites in the Baltimore vicinity (Amish Country and other sites).
So set aside the weekend and stay tuned.  when all the turmoil settles we can get things organized.
AL
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:34:36
Well, I was really hoping to go to Dixie Crossroads, but Chubby's may be hard to pass up.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:38:33
Michael Hoffman

Buffalo Tarheel

mayor al

AL

I've always wanted to meet a Buffalo Tarheel. If Al gets the Glee Club gathering moved be sure to bring your Hawaiian shirt.

Do I have any Hawaiian shirts?  It doesn't matter!  I can find one in a local store, at least before the snow flies.  And it would great to see you all as well.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Official Review For Chubby's BBQ!!! 2013/06/14 12:40:55
mayor al

Buffalo Tarheel,   we would be glad to have you join the group. If we can get the concensus of the glee club folks, we will get on with the planning. Our custom has been to meet on the President's Day weekend...usually Friday night and Saturday and Sunday morning in a warm weather location. We had been thinking of Jacksonville, FL up to this point. However it would be a good thing to get a big group to check out Chubby's and some of the other favorites in the Baltimore vicinity (Amish Country and other sites).
So set aside the weekend and stay tuned.  when all the turmoil settles we can get things organized.
AL

Sounds great.  Thanks for thinking about making the update.  It is to my shame that I have never been to Chubby's, and I know that going there will be an excellent experience.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial