LockedHot Dog University, Hype or......?

Cheeseburger
2013/06/13 23:14:12
Doggers, Slingers, and all others;
I have been seeing a lot about Hot Dog University (HDU) lately. I have seen some mention of classes in certain areas around this site as well. I think it is done through Vienna Beef? IS this correct? Can anyone confirm this? I also think it is somewhere in the ball park of $350? My concern is this, is it worth while, has anyone on here actually gone and done it? did it improve your business at all? My reservations are that I am going to spend money to go to a crash course that teaches me how to make a chicago dog that I already know how to make and get me to use Vienna beef products I already use and might give me some marketing ideas. Is This about what it is, or is there more substanance to the course? Bear in Mind I am a graduate of Johnson and Wales University and am very well versed in food having also grown up with a Father who is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu. So any info any of you guys have on HDU or any experiances you would like to share would really be appreciated and help in my descion making on this matter.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 02:12:17
Josh,
I'm Mark Reitman, the Professor of Hot Dogs at Hot Dog University. No one on this forum that can answer your questions except myself. From eight hundred graduates, only three are from Roadfood. I opened HDU in Milwaukee in 2006 and partnered with Vienna Beef in 2009. I'm a full time employee and work directly with marketing, sales, and customer service. www.youtube.com/watch?v=miAQYdGii8U

BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 03:42:13
HDU!
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 11:48:05
You could go to Notre Dame, a University in Germany  and even LSU and study Hot dogs, but if people in your town, (like my town) do not eat "Hot Dogs," you will struggle just like me, no matter how much knowledge you have about the business and what kind of dogs you sling.

daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 12:55:46
absolutely no information about the program in that video! 
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 13:11:59
Chicago: Full time employee of what?????
Any more info about the course and schedule??
Any reader with comments?
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 13:12:43
brickoo" how is your business????
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 14:16:06
chicagostyledog

Josh,
I'm Mark Reitman, the Professor of Hot Dogs at Hot Dog University. No one on this forum that can answer your questions except myself. From eight hundred graduates, only three are from Roadfood. I opened HDU in Milwaukee in 2006 and partnered with Vienna Beef in 2009. I'm a full time employee and work directly with marketing, sales, and customer service.

I was kinda of hoping to get info from someone not affiliated with the program. I don't mean to sound rude at all but you are selling a service and a product, I was a salesman for many years. I know you will tell me everything I need to hear to get me in the door 
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 14:23:07
2 things in the video stood out most for me after watching, besides the obvious that has already been stated. #1 Hot Doug did the course, kinda of cool. I am a big fan of his work. #2 one of the photos had the buns in the steamer still in the box just had the plastic removed. Do any of you guys do this? I use a perforated pan and lay the buns right on that. Am I doing it wrong, my reason for this is I have found it to steam faster and the boxed method I have found to not always stem all the buns evenly. What do you guys think? 
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 15:43:34
chicagostyledog

HotDogMafia

2 things in the video stood out most for me after watching, besides the obvious that has already been stated. #1 Hot Doug did the course, kinda of cool. I am a big fan of his work. #2 one of the photos had the buns in the steamer still in the box just had the plastic removed. Do any of you guys do this? I use a perforated pan and lay the buns right on that. Am I doing it wrong, my reason for this is I have found it to steam faster and the boxed method I have found to not always stem all the buns evenly. What do you guys think? 

The buns are in a #2 hot dog tray box. They're par baked and meant to be steamed in the box. Unrefrigerated, they only have a shelf life of seven days before molding and should never be kept in the sun, as they will bake and get hard right in the box. The box should never be in direct contact on top of a perforated steam pan or they'll burn or dry out. Use a towel or wash cloth between the tray and the box to prevent the buns from burning. The cloth will allow steam to pass into the well without burning the buns or the box.  BTW, I have the solution to you cheese problem. This business is all about details, lots of details.

Do I have to take the class to find out more about this cheese solution?
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 15:49:52
chicagostyledog

HotDogMafia

chicagostyledog

Josh,
I'm Mark Reitman, the Professor of Hot Dogs at Hot Dog University. No one on this forum that can answer your questions except myself. From eight hundred graduates, only three are from Roadfood. I opened HDU in Milwaukee in 2006 and partnered with Vienna Beef in 2009. I'm a full time employee and work directly with marketing, sales, and customer service.

I was kinda of hoping to get info from someone not affiliated with the program. I don't mean to sound rude at all but you are selling a service and a product, I was a salesman for many years. I know you will tell me everything I need to hear to get me in the door 

I have absolutely no intention of pitching you to become a customer. I'm not a sales person. I'm a business instructor. I train people who seek to successfully launch a career in the mobile food service business. I've trained and graduated 800 students since 2006. 85% are currently in business. 10% never pulled the trigger and 5% were not cut out for the business and failed or knew more than me from a previous business or success in other fields. This is a tough business, very labor intensive, and not meant for everyone. It's so simple, it's really difficult. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and if there's anything I can do to make your dreams come true, you know where to find me. Our student's success has become our success.

Take care and be well.

Mark Reitman, PhD
Professor of Hot Dogs

I have an interest in the class, However I just need more info and to know if what I am paying for is worth it. As I stated I went to an Ivy league culinary university, am I going to learn anything new here. I would also like to say I went to HDU, customers like to see that kind of stuff, and most think it is a joke at first they think there is no such thing. Kind of like McDonalds Hamburger University. When I was working For the Mens Wearhouse years ago I attended their Suites University in California it was a huge help to my sales and gave me tons of info. I will check out the link and see what I find out. The other problem is Do you ever come to NC, cause if I have to travel, well then the course just got a whole lot more expensive. Can you see my reservations and concerns? I have a genuine interest and desire to learn more about this, I just don't want to dump money into something I will not benefit from though.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 16:05:31
What are the "Ivy League" Culinary Universities, just out of curiosity?
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 16:15:15
1bbqboy

1-Culinary Institute of America
2-Le Cordon Bleu
3-Johnson & Wales University
Take for example the School I went to Johnson & Wales, They carry the same accreditation as Havard, they are accredited by the same place, Therefor My GenEd courses where the same ones Harvard students took. My 4 years degree at Johnson & Wales was around $450,000.00. Then you go to work as a Sous Chef or  Chef De Cuisine at a restaurant that wants to pay you $10 an hour or maybe you get lucky and your first gig out the gate is an Executive Chef paying $15 an hour, you can see how those student loans will take a lifetime to pay off. So I took the plunge to selling Hot Dogs to get me money banked to do a Gourmet Food Truck, Selling more expensive food. It is a lot cheaper than a restaurant and it's mobile. food trucks are the future of fine dining I think. 
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 17:51:33
Instead of doing 4 years and paying $450,000.00 for a cooking class, if I wanted to be a chef, I'd go to a fancy popular restaurant, get a job bussing tables and suck up to the Chef and the Manager every minute of the day, work long hours with them for free, and learn everything they knew, and wash their vehicles and clean their windows on their homes on my one day a week that I would take off.

I'd also make sure that the Chef and Manager had at least 20 years experience and had been on the same job for more than 90 days. Lol!!!
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 18:20:45
I see this in vegas a lot. culinary grads right out of school thinking they are going to start right off as chef. yes sir, you are the chef of the pot room, now get in there and scrub some pots. vegas schools train the cooks for what the local chefs want them to know. they have to be ready. most school grads cant even name the main cooking methods, the sauce tree, starting with the mother sauces, and name 9 types of lettuce and how are they commonly used. I loved school, then I got diabetes and cant stand up for the 12 hour shifts any more.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 19:43:02
Before you take someone's opinion about any product buy a can of cheese and taste it. Put it on a hot dog and if's it's bad don't use it. Lot's of vendors are using it for time and the convenience of not having to keep it on ice and a million other reasons. There's only so many hours in a day and it taste good. Try it! You'll like it. Mikey tried it and he likes it.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 19:53:20
brickboo

Instead of doing 4 years and paying $450,000.00 for a cooking class, if I wanted to be a chef, I'd go to a fancy popular restaurant, get a job bussing tables and suck up to the Chef and the Manager every minute of the day, work long hours with them for free, and learn everything they knew, and wash their vehicles and clean their windows on their homes on my one day a week that I would take off.

I'd also make sure that the Chef and Manager had at least 20 years experience and had been on the same job for more than 90 days. Lol!!!

Well because it is done and I have already graduated 
I liked the educational aspect of having gone to school, I know the why's and the hows and the science behind things. Also the History of foods and styles of cooking. I am big into History.
Tristan225
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 19:55:37
So now that you have graduated how much are your payments? Or did you pay cash.
HotDogMafia

1bbqboy

2-Le Cordon Bleu
Take for example the School I went to Johnson & Wales, They carry the same accreditation as Havard, they are accredited by the same place, Therefor My GenEd courses where the same ones Harvard students took. My 4 years degree at Johnson & Wales was around $450,000.00. Then you go to work as a Sous Chef or  Chef De Cuisine at a restaurant that wants to pay you $10 an hour or maybe you get lucky and your first gig out the gate is an Executive Chef paying $15 an hour, you can see how those student loans will take a lifetime to pay off. So I took the plunge to selling Hot Dogs to get me money banked to do a Gourmet Food Truck, Selling more expensive food. It is a lot cheaper than a restaurant and it's mobile. food trucks are the future of fine dining I think. 

C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 20:00:50
BpCBlake

I see this in vegas a lot. culinary grads right out of school thinking they are going to start right off as chef. yes sir, you are the chef of the pot room, now get in there and scrub some pots. vegas schools train the cooks for what the local chefs want them to know. they have to be ready. most school grads cant even name the main cooking methods, the sauce tree, starting with the mother sauces, and name 9 types of lettuce and how are they commonly used. I loved school, then I got diabetes and cant stand up for the 12 hour shifts any more.

I see this a lot kids coming right out of school thinking I went to school I get to start out on top, no, no, you still have to start at the bottom. I mean I went to a great school, in my alumni are folks like Emeril, Tyler Florence, Anna Olson. Julia Childs went to Le Cordon Bleu but is a Johnson & Wales  Honorary Doctorate Recipient. I learned in the French Style so I am versed in the mother sauces and all of their variations. I could sit here and talk about food and techniques for hours 
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 20:03:50
chicagostyledog

Josh,
Cheese falls into three broad melting categories:
1. stretchy & stringy
2. smooth & flowing
3. non-melting
The best cheese for topping a chili dog is fancy shredded cheddar cheese. It can be applied cold or at room temperature and the heat from the chili will melt the cheese. For cheese dogs, a cold packed cheddar like Merkt's or Verns's can be applied with a spreader at room temperature and the heat will take care of the rest. Cold packed cheese should be heated no higher than to 110-155 degrees. At 120, cold packed cheese will liquify. When this happens, enzymes break down,  product becomes gritty,  flavor patterns change, and the product may burn. If there's skim on the top, the product's burned. I'm not a fan of the canned cheese products. A high quality, spreadable cold pack cheddar is used on dogs, Polish, burgers, and fries in most Chicago hot dog stands. Your cart can be used to hot hold a cold pack cheddar by placing it near a source of heat and keeping it covered in it's original pack. For best results, always be gentle with heat. It's all about the details. Hundreds of them.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Thanks for the input I give some things a try, I use fancy shredded cheddar currently I was looking for something runny, but ultimately superior taste will be the winner, I may find myself sticking with the shredded Cheddar.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 20:04:53
brickboo

Before you take someone's opinion about any product buy a can of cheese and taste it. Put it on a hot dog and if's it's bad don't use it. Lot's of vendors are using it for time and the convenience of not having to keep it on ice and a million other reasons. There's only so many hours in a day and it taste good. Try it! You'll like it. Mikey tried it and he likes it.

Oh I taste test like crazy, it is the best part of the job 
FriedTater
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 22:22:54
So your saying your students loans are $450,000 and your worried about a $350.00 (or whatever) class fee to learn a business from a pro about hot dogs? The American way.............
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 23:40:12
Chicago: Are you coming to New York or Buffalo soon?
$350 for the course and anythign else? One day?
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 23:44:10
Tristan225

So now that you have graduated how much are your payments? Or did you pay cash.
HotDogMafia

1bbqboy

2-Le Cordon Bleu

I did not pay cash, I don't have 450K laying around. I did my college like everyone else. Student Aide, financial aide through fedloan(student loan) programs, some minor grants and was paying out of pocket some while in school. I am paying like $250 a month on my loans currently, I suspect most of that is going to interest, but it is what it is for now.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 23:51:02
FriedTater

So your saying your students loans are $450,000 and your worried about a $350.00 (or whatever) class fee to learn a business from a pro about hot dogs? The American way.............

That is not what I said at all. Read the original post, I am concerned about taking and paying for something where I won't learn anything and waste time and money. I already make a good Chicago dog, people have told me it is better than ones they have got in chicago, I currently use Vienna Beef products, from what I have heard I was under the impression that you go there and they teach you about the chicago dogs and convert you to vienna beef products, so I made the post to see if it was true to find out from some people that have gone to the school first hand, so I won't have to say things like "well I heard". it is not just about not wanting to pay, but you know what that say, a fool and his money, are soon parted! 
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 23:51:02
FriedTater

That is not what I said at all. Read the original post, I am concerned about taking and paying for something where I won't learn anything and waste time and money. I already make a good Chicago dog, people have told me it is better than ones they have got in chicago, I currently use Vienna Beef products, from what I have heard I was under the impression that you go there and they teach you about the chicago dogs and convert you to vienna beef products, so I made the post to see if it was true to find out from some people that have gone to the school first hand, so I won't have to say things like "well I heard". it is not just about not wanting to pay, but you know what that say, a fool and his money, are soon parted! 
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/14 23:56:36
I just checked the website of HDU. t is $699 and a 2 day course. NOT $350. Hot dog mafia.
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 00:05:22
My Chicago Dog
-Vienna Beef Poppy Seed Bun
-Vienna Beef Hot Dog
-Heinz Yellow Mustard (my secret is a hint of liquid smoke in the mustard)
-Vienna Beef Green Relish
-Diced Shallot, not onion
-Locale Heirloom Tomato halved 
-2 Vienna Beef Sport peppers
-penzeys spices Celery Salt (I put it on before the pickle or else it all on the pickle)
-claussen pickle (deli style spears) I was using Vlasic but recently switched
-price $4
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 00:08:51
Speedymike

I just checked the website of HDU. t is $699 and a 2 day course. NOT $350. Hot dog mafia.

WOW, I was not for sure, thats why in the original post I said " I also think it is somewhere in the ball park of $350?" I have not got around to checking out the link yet. Thanks for the heads up 
top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 09:21:30
want to increase your biz.... mount an infrared grill on your cart...a lot of options open up... a little bacon, some grilled onion, maybe a shishkabob toasted buns grilled georgia hots steamed then grilled dogs.  then add a gf-10 fryer and you will really do well.... i started with a carts unlimeted push cart and moved up to trailer cart with attached fryer and grill and now a truck with everything and ice cream....i learned as i went along, i would not personally consider giving 300-400 away on education but for some it may help
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 12:51:09
top^dog

want to increase your biz.... mount an infrared grill on your cart...a lot of options open up... a little bacon, some grilled onion, maybe a shishkabob toasted buns grilled georgia hots steamed then grilled dogs.  then add a gf-10 fryer and you will really do well.... i started with a carts unlimeted push cart and moved up to trailer cart with attached fryer and grill and now a truck with everything and ice cream....i learned as i went along, i would not personally consider giving 300-400 away on education but for some it may help

I wish I could, in my area bacon has to be done at the commissary and we can't have fryers on our carts  but when I relocate and save up for my next unit it will be decked out will all that, I am still debating a really long cart our a trailer that is like an enclosed kitchen, I'm kinda leaning towards the trailer cause I can do that year round and in any weather
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 12:51:09
top^dog

I wish I could, in my area bacon has to be done at the commissary and we can't have fryers on our carts  but when I relocate and save up for my next unit it will be decked out will all that, I am still debating a really long cart our a trailer that is like an enclosed kitchen, I'm kinda leaning towards the trailer cause I can do that year round and in any weather
djdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 12:59:54
Professor of Hot Dogs.....ha ha...that just sounds funny. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 13:21:00
The guy's a troll, hellbent on attacking everyone and everything he envies. Pay him no mind.
Speedymike
Junior Burger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 13:26:46
matthartung: That is disrepectful for people trying to make an honest living.Y ou don't have to like it but don't trash it.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 14:01:40
Pacific Northwest Chef.. What is a hot dog mafia....
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Hot Dog University, Hype or......? 2013/06/15 14:49:05
@
This thread is locked. If you have honest questions about the topic contact Mr Reitman via email...not on a thread here.
Mayor AL
post edited by mayor al - 2013/06/15 15:13:56