Hot!Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18364
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 11:57:30 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Michael Hoffman
I do enjoy aggravating some folks
wonder who

Michael HoffmanI like Cincinnati chili, too. But it isn't chili

Oh, TJ, I don't try to aggravate you. You'd be no fun at all because you don't get all ticked off the way some do. You come back with good stuff.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 12:20:01 (permalink)
Treetop Tom

Sundancer7

Actually Mr. Hoffman is correct.  Unless the Korean slow smokes their various meats over indirect heat, it is grilled.  Grilled meat is not the same as barbecue according to the definition.  Both taste very good but it is not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I'll personally go out and tell the half-dozen or so Korean BBQ restaurants within a mile of me that they must immediately change their signs to read "Korean Grilled Meats" because they are engaged in false advertising.  I'll also tell the seafood restaurants they cannot call their fried crab patties "cakes" since they are not "an item of soft, sweet food made from a mixture of flour, shortening, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients, baked and often decorated."  Because, that is the definition of what a cake is, after all.  The "chicken fingers" on the kids menu at the diner will have to be renamed, of course, since they are not "each of the four slender jointed parts attached to either hand (or five, if the thumb is included)."  And it goes without saying that, in a nod to my Acadian brethren, I will personally not rest until the abomination that is "French Toast" is removed from every menu and replaced with my beloved pain perdu.  Look, I simply asked Greymo about some restaurants we both happen to enjoy.  I didn't raise them up as the penultimate BBQ.  That's what they call it, so that's how I referred to it.

Do what you wish in regarding to making the rounds and suggesting they change their sign but the post I was referring to indicated  BBQ and Mr. Hoffman corrected that.  The definition of BBQ is what it is and grilling is what it is.  I am sure that there are numerous instances that you are referring to.  Unless the smoke it over indirect heat, it ain't BBQ, it is grilling.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 16:17:46 (permalink)
Stopped at Chubby's for the first time a couple of weeks ago, on the way to NY taking my son to college.  I was brought up in southern VA and I'm partial to Eastern Carolina-style barbeque. The three of us all ordered the same thing, pulled pork sandwich with sides and iced tea. We all agreed that the barbeque was delicious, as were the sides. My wife particularly liked the cole slaw. My wife wants to go back as a day trip soon, and next time, I'll try the ribs. Not the Caroliona-style that I usually prefer, but really good barbeque in its own right. Everyone we met there was friendly and the service was excellent. Looking forward to going back.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 850
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 16:24:20 (permalink)
Davebassman

Stopped at Chubby's for the first time a couple of weeks ago, on the way to NY taking my son to college.  I was brought up in southern VA and I'm partial to Eastern Carolina-style barbeque. The three of us all ordered the same thing, pulled pork sandwich with sides and iced tea. We all agreed that the barbeque was delicious, as were the sides. My wife particularly liked the cole slaw. My wife wants to go back as a day trip soon, and next time, I'll try the ribs. Not the Caroliona-style that I usually prefer, but really good barbeque in its own right. Everyone we met there was friendly and the service was excellent. Looking forward to going back.

Very helpful post
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 16:31:51 (permalink)
We ate there on Monday.  There were ten of us and everyone enjoyed their meal very much.  I elected to have the bowl of cream of crab soup and a couple of sides.  One side that I chose was one that I never had before and it was really delicious.  I ordered the sauerkraut and pork.  It turned out to be half sauerkraut and half pulled pork.  It was truly a great side!  A few order the ribs. I had a taste of one and I do not need a better rib than that.

On the downside, Tom was on his vacation in California  but the mason jars of cold brew helped to make up for his not being there
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3961
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 17:05:08 (permalink)
billyboy
Ditto for those eating Santa Maria style Barbeque aka tri-tip grilled over hot coals. Barbeque has many meanings and variations, each with its own history, proponents and as valid as any other style.

Well, these days I smoke my Santa Maria tri tip in my Traeger smoker, over red oak (the only kind to use for real Santa Maria style). Even though it is smoked over higher heat, it is still smoked. It even has a nice smoke ring. So, is it barbecue?

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3961
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 17:09:11 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I wasn't trying to start an argument, although I do enjoy aggravating some folks.

Michael, you are the best at what you do!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 17:22:44 (permalink)
Davebassman

Welcome to Roadfood!!!

We lived in NoVa for 27 years (Arlington, then McLean) and loved it.  And we still keep a small place there.  I'm also a big fan of Eastern Carolina 'cue and heard that there was a new "Carolina-style" place up 28 toward Dulles in the 'West Herndon" area.  Do you know it?  Is it decent? 

I enjoy Willard's ( www.dcbbq.com ) in Chantilly and visit it every time we return for vacation.  The only place I know of that serves E.C. 'cue is Weenie Beenie in arlington (corner of Four Mile Run Drive and Shirlington Rd. in sight of the Shirley Hwy.).  Yes, it comes out of a can, but it is nevertheless wonderful.    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6290/weenie-beenie .

Thanks for your review of Chubby's.  It's on my list for a road trip next time in NoVa.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18364
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 17:35:37 (permalink)
EdSails

Michael Hoffman

I wasn't trying to start an argument, although I do enjoy aggravating some folks.

Michael, you are the best at what you do!

Thank you Ed. I appreciate that. I really do, and I try hard.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 17:40:31 (permalink)

Metroplex Jim  -

What is the BBQ place in "West Herndon"?   I know of Willard's, which is Chantilly.  Janet and I have tried it several times.  It has always been mediocre to us.  NoVA might have been nice years ago, but we can't wait to get out of here.  A total traffic nightmare, and a RoadFood wasteland, as far as we're concerned.   Yes, there are several places that are mediocre/okay, but nothing  that's great except for one place.  The one great place is Dixie Bones in Woodbridge.   The Tortilla Factory in Herndon was pretty good, but closed last year.   Anita's New Mexican is okay, but not great.   We make a lot of roadtrips out of the area, .. especially NC, ... for truly good RoadfFood.  Heading to Williamsburg, VA this weekend for some good Pierce's Pitt BBQ. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/09/05 17:49:53
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 18:09:36 (permalink)
Ed - It has a smoke ring
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5068
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 18:31:06 (permalink)
Greymo

Sundancer7

For some reason, this thread is a lightning rod and tends to draw some strange post.  If it continues, I will lock.  Sorry.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

With all respect to you,  why do threads have to be locked because a dumbo comes on with these rude statements.  The imposter should be locked out and not the thread!

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 19:42:05 (permalink)
One dumbo statement does not get a thread locked or stopped.  It is usually when multiple posters join in and it appears that the thread is going nowhere.  None of the mods enjoy doing that and in fact we often discuss it before we do.  When it appears that it is going out of bounds, that is when it happens.  I am sure that many of our long term posters understand that.

Obviously over the years there has been many circumstances that upset posters including myself and the other mods.  These events have not been positive for Roadfood but we have been able to work through that as we will in future events.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1647
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/05 23:14:32 (permalink)
EdSails

billyboy
Ditto for those eating Santa Maria style Barbeque aka tri-tip grilled over hot coals. Barbeque has many meanings and variations, each with its own history, proponents and as valid as any other style.

Well, these days I smoke my Santa Maria tri tip in my Traeger smoker, over red oak (the only kind to use for real Santa Maria style). Even though it is smoked over higher heat, it is still smoked. It even has a nice smoke ring. So, is it barbecue?

Call it what you want!  I call it AWESOME
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 09:28:00 (permalink)
I believe the new "Carolina-style" barbeque place in the Herndon area is: Carolina Brothers Barbeque.
. It's actually not in Herndon, but nearby in Ashburn. Worth a try. 
NOTE: I haven't been a member long enough/posted enough times to be allowed to post the link to this restaurant.
post edited by Davebassman - 2013/09/06 09:35:07
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 09:56:33 (permalink)

Yes, thanks!   We have been to Carolina Brothers.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  .  We put it second to Dixie Bones.  There are a few good places around,  ... but, they are VERY few given the huge population base here. It's the 7th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in the nation at almost 6 million people, with a rather paltry small handful of decent Roadfood places.  38th ranked Providence MSA, or 44th ranked Richmond, or 47th ranked Raleigh, or even 62nd ranked New Haven MSA are just a few examples of much smaller areas that could all put the DC Metro area to shame with regard to RoadFood. 

Glenn

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 10:12:57 (permalink)
Glenn1234

Metroplex Jim  -

What is the BBQ place in "West Herndon"?   I know of Willard's, which is Chantilly.  Janet and I have tried it several times.  It has always been mediocre to us.  NoVA might have been nice years ago, but we can't wait to get out of here.  A total traffic nightmare, and a RoadFood wasteland, as far as we're concerned.   Yes, there are several places that are mediocre/okay, but nothing  that's great except for one place.  The one great place is Dixie Bones in Woodbridge.   The Tortilla Factory in Herndon was pretty good, but closed last year.   Anita's New Mexican is okay, but not great.   We make a lot of roadtrips out of the area, .. especially NC, ... for truly good RoadfFood.  Heading to Williamsburg, VA this weekend for some good Pierce's Pitt BBQ. 

Glenn

Yes.  Davebassman just jogged my memory:  http://www.carolinabrothers.com/ .  I recalled being told of it here on RF a while back; never been there though. 

"Back in the day" in that area the only communities were Chantilly, Herndon, and Sterling.  Now there is Oak Hill, Dulles, Countryside, Dulles, etc.  That whole area has just EXPLODED in the last 20 years.  Too bad the roads haven't kept up.  And, to the extent that they are built, developers insist on a traffic light every 1/2 mile or so!

Actually, traffic is one of the reasons we moved.  We were 7 miles from my wife's work and her commute was 45 - 60 minutes!  Housing is so much cheaper down here she has no need to work.  The NIMBY's in NoVa hate roads; too bad.  Here in Dallas we love roads and hate traffic. 

Absent the political hassles of NoVa, 14 - 16 lane monster arterials proliferate like weeds down here - and they are built in two years at a third the cost of such construction would be were it even to be allowed in NoVa.  And, traffic routinely flows at 70 - 80 MPH; in general, cops won't pull you over unless you are doing something truly reckless.  Everything being relative, the natives still bit*h about the traffic.  And when they do, up goes another monster arterial!  I only laugh at the slowdowns to 40-50 that they call "traffic"!
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/06 10:16:35
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1036
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 10:34:09 (permalink)
Going back many years, there used to be a place in Old Town Alexandria called the Royal Restaurant that was a great Roadfood place.  One of my fondest memories was when I got back early on weekday morning from a long business trip and stopped there on the way from National Airport to my house. I  was starving and craving (for some reason) chicken livers.  (Not chopped chicken livers, like in a deli, but sauteed chicken livers.) They didn't have them on the menu, but the stafff was happy to make them for me, and they were delicious.

The restaurant's still there, but it has changed its format, and it isn't at all what it used to be (or at least wasn't, the last time I was there).  It is still quite popular in part due to its proximity to a number of large hotels on the northern edge of Old Town, but for me, it's not worth a visit any longer.  http://www.theroyalrestaurant.com/
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 10:35:35 (permalink)
Glenn1234 -

I got so tied up in traffic-talk I forgot to mention another BBQ joint I have enjoyed "up there":  http://www.eatabsolutebbq.com/ .  It's just off 28 between Centreville and Ms. Pk. 

Near there is one of my RF-type faves, The Yorkshire Restaurant: http://www.yorkshirerestaurant.net/ysr/ .  Try the Top Hat sandwich! 

And, if you can make it through the traffic to Arlington: the Metro 29 Dinerhttp://www.metro29diner.com/ .  I love that place!  Try the fried shrimp. 

-----------------

Edit:  " />OMG" />, I clicked on Metro 29 to check out their always WONDERFUL menu and there was a picture of Mrs. Metro II attending a "political lunch" with Joe Biden.  Yet another reason why I Mrs. Metro IV
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/06 11:25:04
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 10:39:52 (permalink)
MetroplexJim: Absolutely correct about the traffic in NOVA! "Cost of doing business", I guess.

I do find it interesting that a Metropolitan area the size of Wash. DC, being so close to the "south" has so few really good barbeque places. There is one of the "Rocklands Barbeque" locations close to where I work in Arlington. Every once in a while I'll stop by on the way home and pick-up a Lb. of chopped pork to go, take it home and "doctor it up" with some Carolina (vinegar-base) sauce and Tabasco. Rocklands is a local "chain", not great barbeque, but OK, especially if you buy the meat with no sauce and add your own.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 11:15:57 (permalink)
Davebassman

MetroplexJim: Absolutely correct about the traffic in NOVA! "Cost of doing business", I guess.

I do find it interesting that a Metropolitan area the size of Wash. DC, being so close to the "south" has so few really good barbeque places. There is one of the "Rocklands Barbeque" locations close to where I work in Arlington. Every once in a while I'll stop by on the way home and pick-up a Lb. of chopped pork to go, take it home and "doctor it up" with some Carolina (vinegar-base) sauce and Tabasco. Rocklands is a local "chain", not great barbeque, but OK, especially if you buy the meat with no sauce and add your own.

We have a lot in common!  Even down here in Texas I order pulled pork, NO SAUCE, and whip out a bottle of this:  http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/ncbbq.html .  We order it directly from them; the 6 pint bottles last us about a year as we also use it as a base-sauce for cooking.  To us, it is the sixth "Mother Sauce".

I've heard that Harris-Teeter carries it (at least in their Carolina stores) and I'm sure Wegman's will get it for you.  (Man, how I miss Wegman's!!!).

For me, Rockland's was mostly a "meet market" with decent meat as a bonus if there was nothing "worth meeting".
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/06 11:39:00 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

Davebassman

We have a lot in common!  Even down here in Texas I order pulled pork, NO SAUCE, and whip out a bottle of this:   .  We order it directly from them; the 6 pint bottles last us about a year as we also use it as a base-sauce for cooking.  To us, it is the sixth "Mother Sauce".

I've heard that Harris-Teeter carries it (at least in their Carolina stores) and I'm sure Wegman's will get it for you.  (Man, how I miss Wegman's!!!).

For me, Rockland's was mostly a "meet market" with decent meat as a bonus if there was nothing "worth meeting".

Apparantly we DO have a lot in common. I have a couple of bottles of Scotts in my pantry right now. I use it on just about everything I grill. (wife hates it, so she gets the sweet bottled stuff, lol). I buy Scotts at Harris Teeter in Reston. They also carry "Carolina Treet", a mustard-based sauce that I use a lot, especially good on grilled pork chops.
Rocklands Arlington used to be paired with "The Carpool" which was/is a "meet market". Rocklands moved a few years ago to another location nearby and operate as just a barbeque joint.
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2369
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 14:54:13 (permalink)

The Cinderella story at this year's Big Game will take place during a commercial
break. Why? Because Intuit is giving one small business a TV commercial on the
2014 Big Game.

It's the world's biggest stage, and a lucky small business could be on it right
beside some of the biggest brands.

I just voted for my favorite business. Click here to vote for them, too!
http://intuit.me/18xOcre
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 15:16:16 (permalink)
done voted
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 15:56:41 (permalink)
Love this!

I done voted, too.

pnwchef : that site deserves its own thread!  As it was your discovery, please do the honors.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 16:08:04 (permalink)
WOW!   This is great!  I voted, and will continue to vote each day.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 17:05:58 (permalink)
I voted for Chubby's and I have never been there.  Good luck.  Roz and I hope to be in the area this winter as she has to do some research for her dissertation in DC.  Chubby's is relatively close by.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6759
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 17:17:01 (permalink)
I voted!  Yay Chubby's!!!
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1647
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/07 22:57:29 (permalink)
Like Chicago (sans hot dogs or pizza)........we get to come back and vote every day!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Unofficial Report on Chubby's Barbeque 2013/09/08 08:53:33 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

Like Chicago (sans hot dogs or pizza)........we get to come back and vote every day!

And, we're not even dead!
No I.D. necessary!
And, the NSA will track your IP address for you!

God Bless America.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1