Scrapple

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2235
  • Reward points : 0
Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 11:12 AM
I had scrapple for the first time at the Dutch Place in the RT in Philly. I thought it was good, I like the Idea of this old time food when they made something from every part of the pig. Pnwc

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 11:26 AM
Glad you liked it!  When I was a kid in western PA my father and I would eat it.  Mom was not so crazy about it.  I've never had biscuits and gravy but I ate my fair share of scrapple!

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 1:21 PM
I love scrapple! Grew up eating it. It was not easy to get in Northern NJ when I was a kid. My parents lived in Pennsylvania when I was first born and developed a love for it and Lebanon baloney.
When they would go back to visit friends they would stock up. Now I am able to buy numerous kinds where I live.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 2:10 PM
We still see stuffed pig stomach as a Thursday Night Special in ads for some of the country bar/restaurants. The stomach is cleaned, stuffed with a mix of diced potatoes, onions, fresh and smoked sausage, sewn shut and baked until it's golden brown and crispy. Good example of the "waste not, want not" philosophy of food preparation.

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1273
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 4:47 PM
My mom used to make what she called "Philadelphia scrapple," which called for pork loin, which she cooked until it fell of the bones, then shredded.  She mixed in herbs, s&p and cooked cornmeal and put it into loaf pans.  Chilled, cut slices, floured and fried in butter.  Maybe it was scrapple for wimps, but we liked it.

agnesrob
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 5:39 PM
Sounds good to me love2bake!!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3572
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 6:17 PM
I had it for the first time around 2007, at the Florida Avenue Grill in Washington DC. It was interesting and nicely crisped on the outside. Can't say I've rushed around since then looking for scrapple. Just a mental thing I guess.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 6:33 PM
I have never enjoyed this wonderful breakfast delight.  If I get back to the Ohio and Pennsylvania area I will certainly try.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CLVdog
  • Total Posts : 53
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 7:49 PM
I have been eating scrapple my entire life. Its my favorite breakfast meat. Better than bacon ? Maybe not- but at least a tie for me.

agnesrob
Re:Scrapple - Sun, 06/16/13 8:06 PM
Sundancer7

I have never enjoyed this wonderful breakfast delight.  If I get back to the Ohio and Pennsylvania area I will certainly try.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I think you will like it Paul! My Dad loved it with a drizzle of Maple syrup.
             Agnes Mohan-Robinson

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:16 PM
SD - Scrapple is more of an Eastern Ohio delicious breakfast item, Western Ohio and especially SW Ohio it is Goetta.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:29 PM
Lived a whole thirty eight years without trying this and had it at a mom and pop place on hwy 302 outside Dahlgren Va. Wasn't bad but I have not gone out of my way to find any more.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:30 PM
Delaware seems to be a big state for scrapple and we enjoyed it twice over the weekend.  Here

is what they serve at Dutch Restaurant in Middletown.

bigbear
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:35 PM
I can get my scrapple fix here in central Florida, in the frozen section of Publix. Habbersett Scrapple.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:37 PM
buffetbuster

Delaware seems to be a big state for scrapple and we enjoyed it twice over the weekend.  Here

is what they serve at Dutch Restaurant in Middletown.

I have never had this but it looks very good.  Perhaps better with gravy???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:40 PM
Paul-
I eat perfectly fine by itself, but since it is a breakfast item, it sometimes gets dipped into the leftover pancake or French toast syrup on my plate.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 1:50 PM
I am like Cliff - I think the leftover syrup is better with scrapple, but maybe that is because there isnt any left over gravy :-)

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 2:40 PM
Scrapple needs ketchup, 'nuff said!!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4723
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 2:52 PM
Unless it's Chicago-style scrapple, in which case only mustard is allowed.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 3:32 PM
ScreamingChicken

Unless it's Chicago-style scrapple, in which case only mustard is allowed.
Hey SC...I spent a lot of time in PA and got used to just drizzling it with molasses. Did you know that it's available at Woodman's from Jone's Dairy Farm? Passable, not as good as the PA brands.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 5:27 PM
I've always eaten it with Ketchup, but I guess any condiment would work. Never thought about Sausage Gravy Sundancer, but the more I think about it, that would work. I'm gonna try it!

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2235
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 6:24 PM
I had the Scrapple with over easy eggs and pancakes.... I dipped it in the egg yoke and the syrup...it was good....pnwc
<message edited by pnwchef on Mon, 06/17/13 6:45 PM>

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
Re:Scrapple - Mon, 06/17/13 6:33 PM
the only place in Ca I have found that has it is http://www.bettesdiner.com/   Bette's in Berkeley..its been awhile ,I remember it as pretty good but do not expect any PA style portion!

sandrew834
  • Total Posts : 53
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 08/9/13 2:21 AM
I like traditional Scrapple mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour and spices. 

macaroni
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 08/9/13 3:24 AM
Some grits (cheesy or not, but definitely buttery), salty & peppery fried, over easy eggs, a buttermilk biscuit and a slab of thick-cut scrapple - crispy on the outside, soft and tender on the inside...that's the breakfast of my childhood and (now) dreams...(typed with a wistful sigh)

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 08/9/13 7:42 AM
I've never had scrapple, only goetta.  My wife insists they're basically the same but my hunch is that they might be similar but definitely not the same.

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 901
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 08/9/13 11:30 AM
I have had scrapple with ketchup or maple syrup. but what I really like on it is apple butter. 
When I was a kid back in the 40's and 50's we had scrapple as a dinner meat.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
Re:Scrapple - Sat, 08/10/13 5:59 PM
My Dad, who was "Pennsylvanian German" (not Amish, but close. He grew up near Coatsville) loved Scrapple, which he usually called Ponhaus. I heard it is also called Pork Pudding.
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNLcHnZFMU

He served it crispy outside, soft inside and with the drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!!
He also liked "gravy bread" (bread with gravy). And a "soup" of pretzels and milk. Wine jelo (jello made from wine).  Simple delicious cooking.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
Re:Scrapple - Sat, 08/10/13 6:04 PM

3 Olives
  • Total Posts : 101
Re:Scrapple - Sat, 08/10/13 7:07 PM
NYNM

My Dad, who was "Pennsylvanian German" He served it crispy outside, soft inside and with the drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!!
He also liked "gravy bread" (bread with gravy). And a "soup" of pretzels and milk. Wine jelo (jello made from wine).  Simple delicious cooking.

My Dad was Pennsylvania Dutch and loved scrappel, souse, gravy bread, and gravy on pancakes and waffles. I do, too!

southjerseymichigan
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Scrapple - Wed, 09/11/13 6:00 AM
Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
HOWEVER.
a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.

hanvi
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 02/14/14 5:46 PM
Never heard of scrapple until I moved to Maryland, but loved it since I tried it.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 02/14/14 6:16 PM
southjerseymichigan

Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
HOWEVER.
a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.

Actually, Scrapple was "Invented" as a way to use every part of the pig except the oink. Industrious Amish farmers made use of EVERYTHING to supplement their Spartan way of life.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Scrapple - Fri, 02/14/14 6:32 PM
Scrapple was actually first produced by the Dutch Colonists in Chester Co. PA. It became popular with the Amish and Mennonite populations in the area. I like it best fried crisp and with a little molasses poured on it. Great with eggs!