Free Samples?

Double Cheeseburger
2013/06/16 22:00:44
OK, I'm in a high traffic area, but not foot traffic. Other than Walmart and Lowes, there is no foot traffic in this town. Folks fly by, sometimes many times before they stop. After they stop they tend to come back, cuz my food is good. The problem is getting them to stop. I love the spot cuz it's easy pullin-pull-out and costs me nothing and is 10 mn. from my house with a store and commisary on the way. Really wanna make this spot work.

This is rural Virginia, an area with 18% unemployment. Demographics are mostly old people who have lived here all their lives and the people who take care of them. The only new business's around here are pharmacy's and Dollar stores. There are almost as many convience stores selling .89 dogs as there are churches.
I've had people drive thru and ask me how much for a dog and say I'm too expensive. They will drive 2 miles to save a quarter.
Since I know my food sells it's self, I was thinking of putting up a big sign saying "FREE SAMPLES!"
Cut up dogs and buns into thirds. Put my fabulous toppings on and give them a taste.
Let them taste even if they are not hungry. If they don't buy something on the spot, now they know where to go when they are.
Did a festival this weekend about 40 miles away. Had 4 or 5 people say they've seen me at my spot, but never stopped, thought this would be a good chance to try me. I think I hooked them all.
So, folks, ya think this may a good way to get people to at least try me? I really don't wanna give up this spot. I'm even planting flowers around it and maybe a picnic table in the shade. If I can get this spot established, I'll go for advertising(besides the social media).
Happy Fathers Day......Cheese

C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/16 22:07:00
What does your HD say about it? How will you hold it and keep it at temp? How much do you charge that ppl are saying is too expensive? and happy fathers day to you as well.... that is if you are a father 
Tristan225
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/16 22:27:27
Hd can't say anything unless you aren't keeping temps right. I say Hell yes. Along with the food, they get to know you. Be nice to their kids.
FriedTater
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/16 22:31:14
I occassionally sell alligator on a stick. Someone came up and asked for a sample. I had to sort of laugh, I told them my samples are $8.00, love it or leave it. When it costs me $14 to $15 a pound, samples are not on the menu.
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/16 23:32:47
wow, the price of lizard is going way up.
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/16 23:42:11
Cut up Dogs and Buns....Where does HD come into it?.......Father 3 times over...
HotDogMafia

What does your HD say about it? How will you hold it and keep it at temp? How much do you charge that ppl are saying is too expensive? and happy fathers day to you as well.... that is if you are a father 

top^dog
Hamburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 08:53:23
free samples for a while cant hurt but remember for a quick hot dog stop pricing is the key! in my area 2.00-2.50 for a hot dog with any topping kraut,relish,onion.ketcup,mustard...chili cheese is more. another key is to try and get some regulars to come by and hang out for a while, put some chairs out if possible. i wouldnt worry about the health dept.... if they do stop by and give you any hassle just play dumb and do what they suggest...when i see the 'city car' coming up the street i get everything in order in case he stops
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 10:16:49
top dog,
Yes I had to talk them into letting me put a table up for folks to fix their dogs. They said OK but no seating or I would have to have toilets etc like a restaurant. I assume they mean even on private property. I'm not sure because the HD is state run and the city of Fruita doesn't allow to set up on public property it seems.
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 13:09:06
wierd, some carts have a prep area for the customers on it. like a bens cart. and I have seen some with a fold down table too.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 13:19:41
I think some of the fold down tables were maybe add ons?
C2CD
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 14:18:38
jcheese

Cut up Dogs and Buns....Where does HD come into it?.......Father 3 times over...
HotDogMafia

Not sure if the HD would come into it, just seems like I have become accustomed to always thinking what will the HD say when I go to do new stuff, Even at the grocery store  samples have to be covered with a lid. I dunno, it is just what came to mind, I would hate for you to do that then during service they shut you down for some fine print nobody thought of. That's all I was trying to say, but good luck, hope it works well, people always like free stuff.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 18:10:27
Sampling works. Just ask Costco, Walmart, Sams Club and Trader Joe's.. There are whole companies established just to provide people trained to give out samples. Every Farmers Market I've ever seen has vendors giving out samples. Weekend Festivals, same thing.
You'll get some freeloaders but they will be offset by those who feel obligated to buy something, even if it's just a drink.
Only way to find out??? Try it!!
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/06/17 18:12:56
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:Free Samples? 2013/06/17 20:14:53
and Restaurant Depot. thats were I met Vienna Beef.