Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls)

Author
mimi1019
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2013/06/17 12:32:02 (permalink)

Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls)

I will be driving across the state of New York in order to get to Niagara Falls. I am looking for some great places that we can go to eat along the way. These can be any great restaurants or diners in any city or town. We are looking for good food and are trying to stay away from typical highway rest stop food. We do not mind venturing out a little bit.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

21 Replies Related Threads

Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/19 13:36:55 (permalink)
    In my hometown of Niagara Falls, NY, I'd recommend Fortuna's for Itlian and Buzzy's for pizza.

billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/19 14:08:27 (permalink)
    Heid's in Liverpool NY for hot dogs, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse.  Stop in Utica, NY to sample some half moon cookies and jelly buns at Holland Farms Bakery & Deli, head over to Florentine Pastry Shop for some pusties (pastacciotti) which are very tasty Italian pastries and then to Roma Sausage & Deli for some tomato pie and on to Voss BAR B Q in Yorkville for some of their awesome BBQ sandwiches (try the ham with extra BBQ sauce!) and their hot dogs smothered in homemade chili!  Ooh!  Ooh!  Have lunch at Tom Cavallo's in New Hartford.  they have great local specialties like Chicken Riggies, greens and hot tunnel sandwiches.  SAnd they have some of the best Buffalo wings I have ever tried.  Been eating them for over 20 years and just as good as ever.

Here is one of my Trip Reports from 2012 that highlights a number of the above-mentioned places in the Utica area:  http://www.roadfood.com/F...a-Rome-NY-m709016.aspx
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/19 14:38:57 (permalink)
    Some other options, depending on where you are:
    • Dinosaur Barbeque and LDR Char Pit in Rochester, both reviewed on this site
    • Ted's, Anderson's, Duff's, or Anchor Bar in Buffalo, all reviewed on this site
    You can't go wrong with any of these options

mimi1019
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 12:40:23 (permalink)
    These places sound absolutely amazing. I can not wait to try the Florentine Pastry shop since I have an incredible sweet tooth. Thanks for all the suggestions!
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 13:19:51 (permalink)
    We did the trip from Long Island about 2 years ago. 
    A short jaunt from the falls is Lake Niagara, a destination in its own right.  Thoroughly enjoyed the fish & chips here....
    http://theirishharppub.com/

In Buffalo you have to do beef on Weck and we picked...
    http://www.schwabls.com/

Do a side trip to Lockport if interested in the Erie canal.

stevep
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 13:27:07 (permalink)
    Di'Bella's Subs can be found from Rochester to Buffalo. They're a chain (I know) but they have some damn good subs.

Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate in Rochester.

Pane's Restaurant in N Tonawanda has one of the best meatball sandwiches I've ever had.

Alex's in Batavia has good ribs and other BBW fare.

Olympia Family Restaurant in N Tonawanda on Niagara Falls Blvd is a good all around diner that draws a large breakfast and lunch crowd. 

Also, if you've never been, Chicken Queen in Chicopee MA has great rotisserie chicken sandwiches. It's very easy on/off from exit 5 on the Pike.
    post edited by stevep - 2013/06/24 13:33:00
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4564
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 13:42:59 (permalink)
    Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the Dinosaur BBQ recommendation

I was not impressed with Schwabl's, though
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 15:01:51 (permalink)
    TJ,

Mark it down. You and I agree! I went with two of Schwabl's biggest champions - bufetbuster and Mariton and I was the one who was disappointed. Give me ol' Charlie the Butcher, in his hard hat, carving right in front of me, and I am a happy man. Right near the airport, too!
    SBXSTR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 15:01:53 (permalink)
    I must second Schwabl's - and Eckl's and Charlie the Butcher also in the Buffalo area. It is always hard which one to choose when on a rare trip to Western New York. I's like Pepe's, Modern, and Sally's when in New Haven for pizza. I have never understood why wings eclipsed Beef on Weck as the regional specialty of fame. When passing through Rochester, have a white hot dog.   
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10222
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/06/24 15:07:32 (permalink)
    I have been to Schwabl's at least 20 times now and there has only ever been one bad experience.  Guess who I was with that evening?  Maybe I should just be happy that they were open.

Definitely take billyboy's advice on the pusties from Florentine Pastry Shop in Utica.  I brought a box of them home recently from a trip and the ladies in the office went crazy over them. 
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/04 18:28:25 (permalink)
    I second Charlie the Butcher forbeef on a weck, Ted's hot dogs and Duff's for wings. Check for local fish frys.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1004
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/08 10:41:28 (permalink)
    From my experiences, I'd avoid the Dinosaur altogether, but if I had to choose, I'd go to the Rochester one and stay away from the one in Syracuse.

There are 3 places on the same block just 3 or 4 blocks south of Dinosaur in Syracuse that have been on Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dives recently, all with great food... Kitty Hoynes (great Irish fare), Pastabilities (Italian, try the hot tomato oil and stretch bread), and Empire Brewery (craft beer and really well done pub fare). You can't go wrong with any of them.

I heartily second Heid's in Liverpool for hot dogs, was just there yesterday myself.
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/09 00:39:28 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Definitely take billyboy's advice on the pusties from Florentine Pastry Shop in Utica.  
    Makes me think of the Smucker's motto.

bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/09 15:36:34 (permalink)
    personally I prefer Eckl's in Buffalo area for my beef on weck. Are you going to NY or Canada side of the falls? In Canada I really loved a vietnamese place called Pho Xyclo on Dunn ave. Great pho and a really nice owner, but you must try the smoothies. The avocado smoothie was great and refreshing, but the coconut was one of the best things I've ever drunk
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/09 17:31:35 (permalink)
    SeamusD

From my experiences, I'd avoid the Dinosaur altogether, but if I had to choose, I'd go to the Rochester one and stay away from the one in Syracuse.

There are 3 places on the same block just 3 or 4 blocks south of Dinosaur in Syracuse that have been on Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dives recently, all with great food... Kitty Hoynes (great Irish fare), Pastabilities (Italian, try the hot tomato oil and stretch bread), and Empire Brewery (craft beer and really well done pub fare). You can't go wrong with any of them.

I heartily second Heid's in Liverpool for hot dogs, was just there yesterday myself.

The irony being that only Dinosaur BBQ is a dive, which fits the theme of Guy Fieri's show, while Kitty Hoynes, Pastabilities and Empire Brewing are all fine dining in Syracuse.

For a fantastic breakfast or lunch, go to Nick's Place in Hanover Square in Syracuse. It's an old lunch shop that has changed hands several times, but remained true to being a classic diner. Guy Fieri needs to go here, not the fine dining places, for his DD&D show!
    http://nicksplacesyr.com/

The Awesome Burger, is, indeed, awesome!

SeamusD
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/10 08:48:14 (permalink)
    I wouldn't necessarily call them fine dining, but they're certainly not dives, so you have a valid point!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/10 16:00:46 (permalink)
    I have no problem with the food at any of those places. My wife used to work at Empire during her summers as a college student. the first version of empire, when the food was mostly creole/southern. I've been to the Christmas party at the owner's house in the Sedgwick neighborhood of syracuse. We tried the new menu last summer. And although quite different the food is still quite good.

SeamusD
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/10 16:16:47 (permalink)
    I agree. I also get the hot tomato oil and stretch bread from Pasta's on a regular basis, I'm addicted to that stuff.
    Groovercat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/11 11:48:47 (permalink)
    I HIGHLY recommend Joey's (Italian), Zaro's (Bosnian), Symeon's (Greek) and Cavallo's (chicken wings) if you stop in Utica.

I have a google map of restaurants in upstate NY (from Syracuse & Binghamton to the east), but i can't post links yet. It's google map ID#213375830979255798201.0004e10477d249d053d9f

Thanks to everyone for the great upstate posts!
    berkovw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/16 09:03:04 (permalink)
    I'm doing the drive Thurs and Fri.  I'm staying in near Utica Thurs night.  At the Hudson River, I'll be turning south and heading towards Scranton, PA.

So, I need one option each for:

Dinner near Utica, NY
    Breakfast near Utica, NY
    Lunch near Catskill, NY
    Dinner somewhere between Hyde Park, NY and Scranton, PA
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Where to eat in New York? (driving across New York to Niagara Falls) 2013/07/16 14:16:17 (permalink)
    berkovw, welcome to Roadfood!  For dinner near Utica I'd suggest Tom Cavallo's in New Hartford, NY.  My go to place during and after college and I just had lunch there this past Sunday and as good as ever.  Lots of Italian dishes, pizza, great Buffalo wings, Chicken Riggies, greens, etc...
    Here is a Trip Report I wrote in 2012 featuring some of their dishes:  http://www.roadfood.com/F...09016.aspx  
    Their info is included at the end of the report on the bottom of Page 1.  

Sadly, I don't know a lot of breakfast places in the area anymore, but my mom swears by a place called Seymour's Diner on Rte. 233 in Westmoreland.  I just looked at the menu and I'm kicking myself for not checking it out while I was there this past weekend!  So much to do and eat and so little time!  
    Seymour's website:  http://www.seymoursdiner....-s-menu/breakfast-menu

And just down the street on the same side is North Star Orchards, a place I highly recommend.  Lots of "U-Pick" berries, a bakery with some great half moon cookies, slice of ice apple cake, and a great iced blueberry cookie I had as a post-Boilermaker reward on Sunday (my pick of the day!) .  A pillowy soft cookie studded with plump, fresh blueberries!  They also have lots of fresh fruits, nuts, popcorns, jars of relishes, Amish products and great stuff to snack on during a long drive.  
    North Star website:  http://northstarorchards.com
    If you have any question, please feel free to send me a PM.  

Happy Eating!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1