Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people.

Author
southernsam
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2013/06/18 00:27:45 (permalink)

Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people.

I'm thought about making an online class. I haven't made it yet, but if people are interested then maybe I'll make it.

Background: When I was in college I wanted to start my own company with that was fun, outside, and didn't take a lot of money to start...so I did a hot dog stand.

Most hot dog stands are run by redneck old dudes but I was an arrogant 20 year old college kid...so I (unfortunately) didn't take a lot of their advice because I wanted it to be young and hip.

So I thought about putting something together a step-by-step course. Here's what it would contain:

1. How to register a business...who to call, where to go, and what to say
2. How to buy a cart
3. How to get certified by the health department
4. Step-by-step website set up
5. Registering for Square and taking credit card
6. Unique menu's that I used and tested
7. What starting supplies to buy and where to get them, including Amazon links
8. How to find a spot 
9. Email and phone templates for cold calling places when asking to set up on their property
10. Templates for fairs, concerts, and other places you wanna partner with
11. How to interact with customers, including scripts and drills for shy folks
12. Little tips like adjusting prices for lunch vs. drunk night hours
13. Other "dirty secrets" like using cheap ketchup on drunk people, how to get tips, and the golden product (bottle water)
14. How to pay taxes
15. How to cook
16. Twitter, Instagram, and other social media gimmicks to get you popular
17. Marketing tips, like setting up Yelp pages
18. How and when to buy merchandise 
18. How to be unique
19. Finally, a ton of funny stories I had including areas I failed in, so you can learn

About my business

Name: Southern Sam's
Was in business for 1 year. Some days made 50 bucks, some days made $800.
Hired 3 people...including the "Bikini Weenie Girls"
Slogan was "Wieners as big as a baby's arm"
Ran it while in college.

Anyway, I haven't made this yet but if people are willing to buy it then I will. I'm thinking I'd charge $50 bucks. You'd get videos, doc's, my cell number so you can ask questions via text, and maybe some other stuff.

If I get a good enough response here, then I'd most likely give it out for free or cheap so I can get feedback.

Let me know what you think!!

17 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 00:46:05 (permalink)
    You can get most of that here for free, just have to do some reading.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 01:09:47 (permalink)
    Mr. Young and Hip,
    I think you can go ---- yourself.
    Signed,
    Old Redneck Dude
    Hey, great idea about the ketchup-NOT.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 02:27:43 (permalink)
    This Wheel has already been invented.
    Several other PROFESSIONAL companies have already done this number.
    Since you're a Google Guru, Google it.
     http://startahotdogbusiness.com/
    AND MANY OTHERS
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/06/18 02:31:17
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 04:16:54 (permalink)
    why do you need a website or yelp if your selling dogs?I get these type of calls all the time about they will set me up on yelp or build me a better website and get me on the first page of Google!
    When I tell them I am on the top page of Google all ready and I did it myself they go quiet.
    How to register a business...who to call, where to go, and what to say.How do you know the regs and departments In my city?
    How do you know the HD regs in my area and state? The people that work for the HD in my area don't!
    I'm not being a hater.But I hate seeing all these Ads how to sell dogs,set-up a concession business,make millions with a food truck. and then the info is so general that it doesn't tell you anything more than sites like this.
    post edited by daddywoofdawg - 2013/06/18 04:18:00
    C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 07:49:35 (permalink)
    You might have good intentions, however you need to work on your vocabulary and tactics, from how this sounds you might have some good ideas, but like has been stated all that info is free, as it should be, but overall I think you will be giving good honest, top quality vendors a Bad name and rep. Your whole strategy sounds like a gimmick and they whole Ketchup thing???? Where's your integrity man?????
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 10:28:37 (permalink)
    Use cheap ketchup?? I certainly hope so
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 12:22:42 (permalink)
    Sam,

I think you are a bit late or either this is a joke, eh?
    Go here! http://learnhotdogs.com/how-to-start-a-hot-dog-cart
    You can spend days on Ben's site learning the business. Probably 90% of everything is free except the Carts and accessories. It would takes you years to get to this point.

Then anybody who wants a very good FREE SITE  built go here:
    http://newopsmembers.com/ or here:
    http://www.newopsgroup.com/newops-7-addon-domains/

top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 13:27:31 (permalink)
    I have to say most of these classes are nonsense...contact your HD and they will tell you what your equiptment requirements are...figure a profit margin and then jump in,most of what you need to learn takes place after you have started,make a checklist so you dont forget anything once your out
    southernsam
    Junior Burger
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 13:29:52 (permalink)
    I know there's some people doing this...

but there's nothing out there geared towards college kids or other young folks. Where on there does it teach you how to use Twitter, Instagram, Square, and Yelp to get a following?
    southernsam
    Junior Burger
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 13:32:11 (permalink)
    I'm not saying hot dogs can make you millions.

What I'm trying to create is a guide for kids in school who wanna get their feet wet in business. Most of these guys will go on to work for big successful companies or start a really cool business...but I'm trying to show that a little hot dog company is a great way to get started. The principles you can learn really stick with ya when you go on to create another, bigger company.
    southernsam
    Junior Burger
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 13:34:57 (permalink)
    Arghhhh! Those sites frustrate me. Very primitive and ugly...I would NOT trust anyone that build a site using New Ops Members.
    post edited by southernsam - 2013/06/18 13:37:03
    southernsam
    Junior Burger
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 13:36:21 (permalink)
    HotDogMafia

You might have good intentions, however you need to work on your vocabulary and tactics, from how this sounds you might have some good ideas, but like has been stated all that info is free, as it should be, but overall I think you will be giving good honest, top quality vendors a Bad name and rep. Your whole strategy sounds like a gimmick and they whole Ketchup thing???? Where's your integrity man?????

This is helpful feedback, thank you
    laelia
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 14:26:01 (permalink)
    i would be interested...
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/18 14:46:33 (permalink)
    In the old days, kids learned with a lemonade stand. I guess a hot dog cart is the new lemonade stand. "sell a dog and make a living"
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/19 00:38:13 (permalink)
    I think my food cart IS a "really cool business"!
    southernsam

I'm not saying hot dogs can make you millions.

What I'm trying to create is a guide for kids in school who wanna get their feet wet in business. Most of these guys will go on to work for big successful companies or start a really cool business...but I'm trying to show that a little hot dog company is a great way to get started. The principles you can learn really stick with ya when you go on to create another, bigger company.

C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/19 01:10:29 (permalink)
    BpCBlake

In the old days, kids learned with a lemonade stand. I guess a hot dog cart is the new lemonade stand. "sell a dog and make a living"

I'm an 80's baby and remember being a kid and saving my allowance to buy some cups and sugar and powdered lemonade to sale on saturdays. Now a days kids need to go through almost as much stuff as you do to get a cart legally up and running. It is a shame!!! 
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Step-by-step guide on opening a hot dog stand as your first business...for young people 2013/06/19 04:16:02 (permalink)
    Give a man a dog, and he can eat.
    give a man a cart, and he can dog.

post edited by BpCBlake - 2013/06/21 11:33:37
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1