Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2403
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/06/28 04:06:37 (permalink)
I think that it's good to have an opposing viewpoint or review on the restaurants, provided that the review adheres to the standards of the site.  A quick jab about not liking a place doesn't provide much insight as to what it was that the reviewer didn't enjoy and doesn't help me to decide one way or the other about the restaurant in question. 

I prefer to only submit reviews for places I REALLY like, however, if I were to go back to a restaurant that I had reviewed for RF and it had really gone off the rails in terms of service, food, etc... I might feel compelled to write a follow-up review as I wouldn't want to think that someone would go there based on my positive review if I knew the quality had gone downhill. 
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2398
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/06/28 11:16:16 (permalink)
When you look at a site like Yelp, you have to look for a pattern. You can't get a pattern or a feel for a restaurant without a lot of reviews. The pictures, to me are the back up proof of why it's a 3, 4 or 5 star review. I know food, I know what quality food looks like, I can get this from that site. What this site gives me is, a Trusted, one member evaluation of what he/she liked about the restaurant. I can't get a one person evaluation from yelp that I can trust. Why it takes so long, or why your review never gets posted, would have to mean that someone on this site didn't agree with your evaluation...............pnwc
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/06/28 22:21:08 (permalink)
billyboy

I prefer to only submit reviews for places I REALLY like, however, if I were to go back to a restaurant that I had reviewed for RF and it had really gone off the rails in terms of service, food, etc... I might feel compelled to write a follow-up review as I wouldn't want to think that someone would go there based on my positive review if I knew the quality had gone downhill. 

Keeping information in the reviews current is a major issue for the Roadfood web site.  An out-of-date review should be totally replaced with a new review or even deleted. As an example, Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant (since 1947) was once a solid Roadfood choice. After complaints, it was pulled off of the Roadfood site. As a side note, I now wonder if Mrs. Rowe's has addressed the problems that caused the decline? I see a lot of positive online reviews (dated 2013) that make me question if Mrs. Rowe's has improved.

One of the previous posts mentions "one and done" reviewers on Yelp. There are reviews like that on Roadfood as well. A reviewer may visit a place and hopefully write an accurate review. However the place may change over time, for better or worse. The old review often does not reflect these changes. Yes, there are reviews that are occasionally updated, but there is still a lot of old information in some Roadfood reviews.

If you look at Yelp, TripAdvisor, or Urbanspoon, they put the date that photos are posted on their site. Only Roadfood does not. And why not?

I do agree that the initial review on Roadfood should always be a positive one. It should be a place that someone likes and want to recommend to others.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/07/02 06:01:36 (permalink)
wanderingjew

cecif

Sigh. (You saw this coming, Billyboy!) I reappear from my absence only to note that some completely ridiculous reviews still slip through the cracks... such as my pet peeve:
http://www.roadfood.com/R...ew/320-5301/durginpark

Didn't even eat a meal there, but got his negative review posted. Where is the usefulness in that...?!?!

Ceci,
Didn't you try to write  a favorable review of Durgin Park that never got posted?

Nope. For exactly this reason.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/07/07 10:25:36 (permalink)
Here is an interesting article pertinent to restaurant reviews.
Crowdsourced reviews can put local restauranteurs on the defensive. Mostly complaints about Yelp and no mention of Roadfood.com.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/07/07 11:04:51 (permalink)
It wasn't a review but recently a new restaurant suddenly postponed it's grand opening including a sold out charity event blaming "last minute construction delays". A week later the story came out from the restaurant management via the local newspaper that several employees had come down with norovirus and management decided to hold off opening because of the situation. The story which basically gave the facts of the opening delay also stated that the public had nothing to fear by eating there.
What was interesting were some of the comments on the story, several said the newspaper should have never printed the story because it would hurt business in the restaurant, one even implied that the restaurants competitors could have "planted" the virus.  
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/07/07 14:50:47 (permalink)
Davydd

Here is an interesting article pertinent to restaurant reviews.
Crowdsourced reviews can put local restauranteurs on the defensive. Mostly complaints about Yelp and no mention of Roadfood.com.

Davydd ......You hit it right on the head with that article.
All of the restaurants mentioned are high volume eateries
that work hard at keeping the vibe positive, no matter WHO is
talking about them. Interesting read.
Too bad they didn't recognize ROADFOOD and I didn't see that
Trip Advisor was mentioned

mike

post edited by mhill95 - 2013/07/07 19:36:34
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/07/07 15:14:52 (permalink)
As one who has had a few Roadfood reviews published as well as being a Yelp poster, the main difference between the two is those that post here can actually write.  A typical positive Yelp post goes something like this--"the tuna sammie was YUMMY!!!!  And the cole slaw was DELISH!!  My tummy was very happy!!!  I highly recommend this resto but make sure you have rezzies!!!!"  It's like seven-year-olds got access to a keyboard.

I don't think Yelp is completely useless--you just have to know how to read it.  And the only reason I've had reviews here turned down is because my pictures were bad.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4020
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/08/09 12:48:57 (permalink)
MandalayVA

As one who has had a few Roadfood reviews published as well as being a Yelp poster, the main difference between the two is those that post here can actually write.  A typical positive Yelp post goes something like this--"the tuna sammie was YUMMY!!!!  And the cole slaw was DELISH!!  My tummy was very happy!!!  I highly recommend this resto but make sure you have rezzies!!!!"  It's like seven-year-olds got access to a keyboard.

I don't think Yelp is completely useless--you just have to know how to read it.  And the only reason I've had reviews here turned down is because my pictures were bad.

I agree completely.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Why is it so hard to get a review added to Roadfood? 2013/08/09 13:06:40 (permalink)
My advice on Yelp is that you have to read the reviews (and the reviewer) to take it for what its worth...One of the biggest turn offs of a yelp review is when the "Yelper" describes the decor or menu as "dated" .... Their definition of dated is MY definition of classic. Unless "dated" involves ripped upholestery or food stains on the menu, then that word means absolutely NOTHING to me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1